PWNED???

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Vigis
Sojourner

PWNED???

Postby Vigis » Sat Dec 14, 2002 6:30 am

Alright, I am looking for theories on how pwned came to existance. Did it just seem cool after somebody hit the wrong key? or did somebody with an amazing amount of charisma (the cool kid in school) decide that he/she was going to substitute the o in owned with a p and see how many peeps would copy it? Does it stem from hackers like L33t does?

Somebody PLEASE answer my worthless question since I know JACK about puters.

Vigis
Sadric
Sojourner

Postby Sadric » Sat Dec 14, 2002 7:14 pm

I figured it was just a common typo that became popular among the "I can't spell" crowd of CS, and then all of the other internet slangwhores picked up on it.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Sat Dec 14, 2002 9:57 pm

Nice flame there, Sadric.

Are you always this angry?

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Tanji ASSOC:: 'god was blueballed the night before he made Thanuk'
Sarkhon
Sojourner

Postby Sarkhon » Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:32 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sadric:
I figured it was just a common typo that became popular among the "I can't spell" crowd of CS, and then all of the other internet slangwhores picked up on it.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow. Got some 7 year old harbored resentment going on here buddy?

As far as l33t goes, that really stems more from the old warez crowd than it does to hackers. As to "pwned," I'd guess that stemmed from gamers out of a typo that someone found amusing. My best guess is from the Unreal or Doom crowd ...
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Sun Dec 15, 2002 2:30 am

i first saw pwned used on the dark age of camelot boards over a year ago. i think it started there. on my server we have a guy with a brain dyfunction and he types a little oddly..pwned, teh suq, etc.

now it's wtfpwned!
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Dec 15, 2002 2:51 am

Hrmm, I think there was some miscommunication in this thread...

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarkhon
Sojourner

Postby Sarkhon » Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:28 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Teyaha:
i first saw pwned used on the dark age of camelot boards over a year ago. i think it started there. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hrmm... i've definitely seen it used in online contexts well before daoc (at least 2-3 years before). I still think its from the doom-type online clans but that's just a guess Image
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:38 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vigis:
<B>Alright, I am looking for theories on how pwned came to existance.

Vigis</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

About over a year ago, 'Romeo and Juliet for the l337' came out. In it, Romeo says 'pwn3d' at a critical moment. Ever since then, I've seen the term more and more often.

------------------
Shevarash responds to your petition with 'You are the wind beneath my wings.'
Sadric
Sojourner

Postby Sadric » Sun Dec 15, 2002 10:21 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarkhon:
Wow. Got some 7 year old harbored resentment going on here buddy?
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yep, I must be a 7 year old because I just insulted a large part of the CS community. damn me. so childish of me.

oh wait, guess I fit right in here then Image

[This message has been edited by Sadric (edited 12-15-2002).]
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Dec 15, 2002 10:34 am

omg...

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Sun Dec 15, 2002 10:36 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corth:
<B>omg...

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

pwned?

------------------
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"
Sarkhon
Sojourner

Postby Sarkhon » Sun Dec 15, 2002 11:35 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sadric:
yep, I must be a 7 year old because I </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

um, no. if you read what i wrote more carefully, you'd notice that it was referring to a timeframe - as in your remark makes reference to people from over 7 years ago, hence the reason i said "harbored resentment." whatever though, to each their own.
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Sun Dec 15, 2002 11:47 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarkhon:
um, no. if you read what i wrote more carefully, you'd notice that it was referring to a timeframe - as in your remark makes reference to people from over 7 years ago, hence the reason i said "harbored resentment." whatever though, to each their own.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just out of curiousity, are we talking about the same CS here? Because the CS I know is nowhere near 7 years old.

------------------
Sarkhon
Sojourner

Postby Sarkhon » Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:21 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Xisiqomelir:
<B> Just out of curiousity, are we talking about the same CS here? Because the CS I know is nowhere near 7 years old.

well, it was around in my last year of high school, and i'm currently graduating law school in a few months (yes, time flys by fast). if it's not 7 years it's damn near close. i'm not saying all those people retired 7 years ago, but the guild certainly existed that long ago.

regardless, it doesn't really matter, but malacar can fill in the details better if he really wants to since he's already in this dumb thread Image bedtime for me.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:44 pm

xisi, CS is a reference to one of the old guilds that was for established players around the time i was starting. i believe it was crimson sigil, but my main memories of that time period are living in fear of crimson death and undermountain while tydaak tried to convince me dorf conjies were vastly superior to humans.
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Sun Dec 15, 2002 1:06 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
xisi, CS is a reference to one of the old guilds that was for established players around the time i was starting. i believe it was crimson sigil, but my main memories of that time period are living in fear of crimson death and undermountain while tydaak tried to convince me dorf conjies were vastly superior to humans.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh, thanks for that clarification Daz.

If that's the case, then all you people jumping on Sadric might want to consider jumping off him, because I believe that his CS "I can't spell crowd" refers to COUNTERSTRIKE.

------------------
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:02 pm

hahah, we almost have it worked out!

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:05 pm

Miscommunication then. I assumed it was Crimson Sigil, because well, that's what CS is to me. I'm not a counterstrike player.

And there are a lot of harbored resentments against Crimson Sigil still. Don't know why, but there are. Image

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Sadric
Sojourner

Postby Sadric » Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:28 pm

hah yeah, sorry. I hadn't even considered crimson sigil when I said CS, but it was counterstrike that I'd meant.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:42 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Malacar:
<B>Miscommunication then. I assumed it was Crimson Sigil, because well, that's what CS is to me. I'm not a counterstrike player.

And there are a lot of harbored resentments against Crimson Sigil still. Don't know why, but there are. Image

Heh... I'd assumed it meant Computer Science...

Damned acronyms... Image

------------------
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:54 pm

Wow.. the title of this thread is so appropriate for the almost flames in here Image
Fura
Sojourner

Postby Fura » Sun Dec 15, 2002 4:23 pm

I keep waiting for it to become pwnd, why bother with vowels? Whenever I see someone say 'pwned', though, I read it as pawned, and it's so strange...
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sun Dec 15, 2002 5:09 pm

hahahaha i saw Crimson too and was like wtf .. these people are nutzzz

Edit: I personally thought pwned was a gormalism here on Soj ... duh me i guess

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition

[This message has been edited by Ambar (edited 12-15-2002).]
Sarkhon
Sojourner

Postby Sarkhon » Sun Dec 15, 2002 6:50 pm

hah yeah, sorry. I hadn't even considered crimson sigil when I said CS, but it was counterstrike that I'd meant.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My apologies for commenting then. Looked initially like you were taking a very cheap shot at a quite a few people i consider good friends (who havent played here in quite some time), which is the reason i said anything. Moving right along Image
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Sun Dec 15, 2002 6:51 pm

Hey, I still play! Noone loves me though.. I was the bastardchild of CS. :P

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Sarkhon
Sojourner

Postby Sarkhon » Sun Dec 15, 2002 7:07 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Malacar:
<B>Hey, I still play! Noone loves me though.. I was the bastardchild of CS. :P

haha yeah but you can more than fend for yourself if you want to :P To turn this thread half productive and somewhat relevant, how bout that Sigilgames Online, grin - http://www.sigilgames.com for those that don't know (still a very barebones site, but has some preliminary info) -- i for one, cannot wait for them announce what they are working on Image
Sadric
Sojourner

Postby Sadric » Sun Dec 15, 2002 7:18 pm

glip from the safehouse (everquest board, glip being keith parkinson's son) says that sigil should be announcing their project early next year. I'm really waiting too, as the only other mmorgp in development that I'm looking forward to is worlds of warcraft.
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:10 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarvis:
<B>

Damned acronyms... Image

And I thought he meant C Sharp (C#). The file extentions for C# files is .cs

ohwell!

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:08 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarvis:
<B>

Damned acronyms... Image

Heh, i was with you on this one sarv Image

------------------
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Dartan tells you 'i own so hard sometimes it makes me want to cry'

Nitupopple group-says 'esrel get glorishan off'
Zellin
Sojourner

Postby Zellin » Tue Dec 17, 2002 7:44 am

ROFL, Corth, you are so cruel to these people. Post 6 of the thread, you knew, and you just sat on it! That is the purest definition of pwned I have EVER seen.

------------------
Zellin group says 'I'm still here buddy =)'
Zellin has left the group.

[This message has been edited by Zellin (edited 12-17-2002).]
Zellin
Sojourner

Postby Zellin » Tue Dec 17, 2002 7:44 am

Sweet Jesus, I just pwned myself.
------------------
Zellin group says 'I'm still here buddy =)'
Zellin has left the group.

[This message has been edited by Zellin (edited 12-17-2002).]
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Dec 17, 2002 8:14 am

*whistle*

You could say that was my way of demonstrating how "pwned" came into existance. Image

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Thu Dec 19, 2002 7:10 am

COUNTERSTRIKE pwns joo all!!!
Fuxors!
w00t

Kallinar likes Halflife.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”