Miss me?

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Daz
Sojourner

Miss me?

Postby Daz » Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:00 pm

Well, I've been busy the last few days. Doing what? Well, reading the threads and flames being flown around the BBS, I decided to start changing the way I play the game. Mostly, I do XP til about the mid 40's, then I stop. I spend my time power leveling new players and getting them eq, or practicing my skills. A typical Dazday on the mud typically involves killing mobs for no gain at all at least 2 hours.

Well, I have started becoming proactive in my pursuit of improving myself on the game. I have started leading some small zones here and there. I am doing quests, exploring, and talking to mobs.

And that brings me to my topic of the day. Questing. Just what have I learned about it?

Questing seems to me to be its own variant of the game. I don't "always" need other players to quest, but I do occasionally need other players to help. I have recently learned and completed 2 lengthy quests, and I'm eyeballing a solution to this new, enjoyable third quest.

On one boot, I spent about 8-10 hours questing for this item, most of it solo, with the occasional help from people. My reward after 8-10 hours of wandering and exploring, talking to mobs and typing 'search' more than I ever thought I wanted to? I got a spiffy cloak that is about on par with a rhemo cloak from vault, but a bit better. It's nice about body eq for a hitter, and despite an arguably hideous appearance, it is distinct.

I have to confess after years of shying away from quests in fear, being able to complete a quest that was bigger than buckskin pack has done a lot to make me enjoy this game more in the last week than I have recently.

On a side, sadder note: There is NO way I could have done these quests as Daz, at all. So to me, I realize that warriors, the underclassed lone rangers, are truly nothing more than a meat shield. I *really* wish it was possible for a person to play as a warrior, with no alts, and experience all the joy of playing sojourn, without being forced to delegate their warrior to 'storage/alt' status.

The overall balance of things needs to be reevaluated, not because I wanna be stronger, or because I want eq to be harder, I don't give a shit about that. People who know me, understand I don't give a shit about that.

I want every player to have an equal opportunity chance at having fun, without being forced to abandon something they enjoy to get it.

Sounding off.

PS - Not that most people are gonna notice much, but I'm leaving for florida in about a week, and I may not be playing regularly after that for a couple of months, if at all.

Take care mud.
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:12 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
<B>On a side, sadder note: There is NO way I could have done these quests as Daz, at all. So to me, I realize that warriors, the underclassed lone rangers, are truly nothing more than a meat shield. I *really* wish it was possible for a person to play as a warrior, with no alts, and experience all the joy of playing sojourn, without being forced to delegate their warrior to 'storage/alt' status.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe just because you have issues with playin a warrior doesnt mean the above is true. Many of the 'quest masters' on this mud are warrior class or subclass, without alts.

------------------
Snurgt take no prisoner.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:19 pm

i'm not stupid and i know what can and can not be done with a warrior.

i COULD do these quests but i would need -
proc haste/stone eq, blind sword

tons of invis/tele/heal potions

don't talk down to me like i don't know what the hell i am talking about. if you think a solo warrior can do half the shit that a solo mage can, you need to go and spend more time playing the mud and less time insulting me.
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:27 pm

Um...why dont you take a deep breath and count to 10 Image

There was nothing condescending or insulting in the two sentences I posted. You might have noticed the 'Hehe' at the beginning?

No one insulted yer manhood, no one called you stupid - relax.

------------------
Snurgt take no prisoner.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sat Dec 14, 2002 1:48 pm

You may have gotten away with talking that way to him when he was a warrior, Snurgt. But Daz is an enchanter now, so you better watch yourself!

------------------
-Yayaril
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Sat Dec 14, 2002 2:57 pm

Ah bettah check mahself befo' I wreck mahself!

------------------
Snurgt take no prisoner.
Silsaterur
Sojourner

Postby Silsaterur » Sat Dec 14, 2002 3:25 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
I decided to start changing the way I play the game. Mostly, I do XP til about the mid 40's, then I stop. I spend my time power leveling new players and getting them eq, or practicing my skills. A typical Dazday on the mud typically involves killing mobs for no gain at all at least 2 hours.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First off, why you felt the need to post this is beyond me. Second, you're not really helping them. Pleveling noobs isn't exactly the best way to go about things, noobs grouping with lowbie alts and other noobs is the best way for them to learn what makes the mud tick. Though, I will accept that most classes are useless until level 16 as far as soloing is concerned.

------------------
Adilmir tells you 'are you a Mumavore?'
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:04 pm

<B>On a side, sadder note: There is NO way I could have done these quests as Daz, at all. So to me, I realize that warriors, the underclassed lone rangers, are truly nothing more than a meat shield. I *really* wish it was possible for a person to play as a warrior, with no alts, and experience all the joy of playing sojourn, without being forced to delegate their warrior to 'storage/alt' status.

That is just to much Daz, sorry but no dice. I do play a warrior, and I have done that quest, and a good deal of it solo. If you don't enjoy playing a warrior, don't play one.

-Lorgan

------------------
The Lord of the Iron Wastes holds his hammer high in the air, shouting a torment... 'Weak fools!'
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:29 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Silsaterur:
<B> First off, why you felt the need to post this is beyond me. Second, you're not really helping them. Pleveling noobs isn't exactly the best way to go about things, noobs grouping with lowbie alts and other noobs is the best way for them to learn what makes the mud tick. Though, I will accept that most classes are useless until level 16 as far as soloing is concerned.

hey weren't you the one who posted about your love for muma andthen how sorry you were after she dumped you? and you're asking daz why he's posting his opinion of the game on the BBS for the game?

------------------
Shevarash OOC: 'I never thought I'd long for Muma to be on OOC'
Oyob tells you 'are you a god?\'
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Sat Dec 14, 2002 4:53 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Silsaterur:
<B> First off, why you felt the need to post this is beyond me. Second, you're not really helping them. Pleveling noobs isn't exactly the best way to go about things, noobs grouping with lowbie alts and other noobs is the best way for them to learn what makes the mud tick. Though, I will accept that most classes are useless until level 16 as far as soloing is concerned.

you are the last person that needs to be criticizing people for talking out of turn. Many of us consider your useless OOC babble text pollution, at least Daz put together a concise thought instead of just babbling. Shut your cakehole and let him be.

------------------
Ensis Inferni
Bish Enterprises Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Copyright 1999 Fydollaho Productions.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat Dec 14, 2002 6:14 pm

Sojourn Knights of Muma to the rescue!

------------------
- Ragorn
Rondandal tells you 'I take it your goal is to clash?'
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sat Dec 14, 2002 6:22 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ensis:
<B>
you are the last person that needs to be criticizing people for talking out of turn. Many of us consider your useless OOC babble text pollution, at least Daz put together a concise thought instead of just babbling. Shut your cakehole and let him be.

you forgot to add BBS too

------------------
Shevarash OOC: 'I never thought I'd long for Muma to be on OOC'
Oyob tells you 'are you a god?\'
Drakkoth
Sojourner

Postby Drakkoth » Sat Dec 14, 2002 6:42 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dalar:
<B> hey weren't you the one who posted about your love for muma andthen how sorry you were after she dumped you?

Brutal.
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Sat Dec 14, 2002 7:22 pm

Next on As the MUD Turns...

------------------
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'
Slavan
Sojourner

Postby Slavan » Sat Dec 14, 2002 8:07 pm

Cant we all just get along?

Daz is cool in my book!
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Sat Dec 14, 2002 9:07 pm

I put this thread in the gay-o-meter and it came out as 94%.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
Udor says 'con doesnt do shit'
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Dec 14, 2002 11:18 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zen:
<B> That is just to much Daz, sorry but no dice. I do play a warrior, and I have done that quest, and a good deal of it solo. If you don't enjoy playing a warrior, don't play one.

wow lorgan you are a better man than i am. you can solo beastmaster then more power to you.

let me insert here - find a pipe, and suck on it lorgan. suck REAL hard. do you like the metallic taste in your mouth? you like that taste? good, now thats what shut the hell up tastes like.

i can solo shit as a warrior, too - but its lame to have to use potions and procs and staffs like its your job. now go stroke your ego in another thread.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Dec 14, 2002 11:19 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thanuk:
<B>I put this thread in the gay-o-meter and it came out as 94%.

haha :P

smartass
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Dec 14, 2002 11:21 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Snurgt:
<B>Um...why dont you take a deep breath and count to 10 Image

There was nothing condescending or insulting in the two sentences I posted. You might have noticed the 'Hehe' at the beginning?

No one insulted yer manhood, no one called you stupid - relax.

my apologies snurgt, i've been grumpy of late and posted rudely after taking your message out of context. i'll try and be more aware and considerate of what i post in the future, peace?
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Dec 14, 2002 11:24 pm

experience at low levels is lame and mostly pointless. and since we already have level 50 people who don't know the difference between RC and TP - then we might as well help level players to keep the pbase as large as possible. those of us who want to lead things but don't have a handy supply of friends to follow need every noob we can get to show the ropes to.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:41 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Snurgt:
<B>Ah bettah check mahself befo' I wreck mahself!

This is the best part of the thread.

Some other parts are downright nasty Image

------------------
Shevarash responds to your petition with 'You are the wind beneath my wings.'
Silsaterur
Sojourner

Postby Silsaterur » Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:23 pm

Dalar,

How hypocritical of me to question daz's need to rant about how good a samariton he is. Lots of us help out the little guys, seems like no one else needs to post it.

As far as what happened between Leah and I is concerned, you can suck my nutz.

Ensis,

Who EVER said that I was trying to make ANY sense whatsoever.

Morithiel,

Schpank! *hugs* Keep kickin it.

Daz,

You know I already think you kick ass and are a joy to have on the mud, you're honest helpful and a good friend. I think Dartan and Ensis have a few lessons they could learn from you.

------------------
Adilmir tells you 'are you a Mumavore?'
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sun Dec 15, 2002 3:28 pm

the point of this post had nothing to do with me 'bragging' about helping people, it was rather an explanation of the things i do to pass the time. i give a fuck if anyone knows i help people. i've been helping noobs out since the mid 90's and i still do it now.

im still a f'ing noob, too.
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:27 pm

ok. i have rec'd no plvling from u. i think u lie about plvling folks. if u r a man of your word i expect some plvling. who's ya char so i can send u tells. i have 3 lvl 20 chars that need plvling, so u will be busy for a long time.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Mon Dec 16, 2002 10:35 pm

no

------------------
MoM-D
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Tue Dec 17, 2002 5:16 am

This seems to be getting off topic, but... Helping new players with exp isn't too bad as long as they don't gain more than three levels or so. I would argue that spending the same amount of time talking with the new player would be much more benefitial though.

For example, the first time I asked Mogr for help, he spent several hours talking with me. He explained features of the game, policies and mud culture (what is considered acceptable, what should not be done, etc). Also, on my first zone trip, he spent a considerable amount of time instructing me on what I should and should not do. The time he spent talking to me has been some of the most beneficial time I have spent on the mud. Without this kind of help, new players will make more mistakes and get yelled at. Depending on how sensetive they are, if they get yelled at enough they may leave. I have not seen this happen on Sojourn yet. In general this is a very friendly mud. I think that any time spent with new players is beneficial, the only difference is the degree of benefit.

Back on topic though, I agree that every player should have an equal chance in the game, regardless of class. This is a game balance issue that falls on the staff to maintain. For the most part I think everyone does have an equal chance.

I have also noticed that some classes can easily solo things that I cannot. It's alright though, I have never not been able to find someone who is willing to help me. That's one of the things that makes this mud so great, almost everybody is friendly and helpful. Your enchanter has come to my aid quite a few times.

- Mike
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Dec 17, 2002 12:18 pm

<B>Ensis,

Who EVER said that I was trying to make ANY sense whatsoever.

Yet another reason you shouldn't be posting Image

------------------
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Dartan tells you 'i own so hard sometimes it makes me want to cry'

Nitupopple group-says 'esrel get glorishan off'
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Thu Dec 19, 2002 7:06 am

*peek*
Yep. Yer all still freaks.

Kallinar likes freaks.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:21 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zoldren:
<B>no

according to the topic doesnt this cover it all? :P

------------------
MoM-D

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”