Multiplaying

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Todrael
Sojourner

Multiplaying

Postby Todrael » Fri Mar 16, 2001 7:46 pm

How much multiplaying is going to be allowed in this new installment of Sojourn? Frankly, the ability to transfer equipment was what made all of the previous mud's seem not so worth while to me. I played Sojourn I/Toril for nearly 4 years, made level 39, and discovered that every level 10 in the game had a better equipment set than me, and believe me, I looked. After 2 weeks of looking at ever level 10+ person, and seeing they had better equip. than me, I decided there wasn't much point any more.
Zuurn Shatter Skull
Sojourner

Postby Zuurn Shatter Skull » Fri Mar 16, 2001 8:18 pm

Personally, if they leave it the way it was I wont care. I didnt play for as long as you, Todrael but I did get lvl 39 w/ my Troll and I didnt really care about other's eq even if they were level 1. If they have the eq, _usually_ they have earned it one way or the other. I have, though, seen some newbies that get a whole set of very spanky eq just 'cause someone quit but I only saw 1 or 2.

------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Zuurn Shatter Skull(RP) stands here.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Fri Mar 16, 2001 8:22 pm

How is that multiplaying? The definition of multiplaying is to have more than one character logged on, and playing, at the same time. You could hand your stuff to a friend and have them give it to your new character, so it's not multiplaying.

What you are referring to, if I am not mistaken, is 'twinking' an alternate character.

Now here's my question to you. Why should this not be allowed? What is there to do once you've reached level 50 as one race/class and maxxed out on items/zones? You make another character. Why not use items on that character? You've earned them, so it's not an issue there. You may not have earned them as that character, but it's a game, not reality. I can't reroll or make a new guy in reality. This is a game to get away from things. As long as someone doesn't take things from groups that someone's primary could use(unless they are playing said alt at the time, in said group), then I don't see the big deal.

That said, this kind of behaviour is the result of one of two things, or both. Jealousy, or a sense of play-style. If you play to role-play, want a challenge, and never twink a character, my hat is off to you. If on the other hand, it's merely said because YOU would like the same items... I would really take a step back, get a better perspective on this GAME, then come back and play to have fun. Image

No this is in no way a flame, but explaining a viewpoint, nor am I claiming you are either of the above, but merely the way I see it. If you feel this is a flame, I apologize deeply, but it is not.

Malacar
Brugg
Sojourner

Postby Brugg » Fri Mar 16, 2001 8:28 pm

*points to above post* Ladies and gentlemen i give you the correct way to handle an argumenative post. Clap Malacar
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Mar 16, 2001 9:21 pm

It's all about leveling up, doing zones, earning your own equipment. Then you will see why there is nothing wrong with putting it on alternate characters... if you want to put your twilight on a level 1 so be it, you worked hard for it and it is your right. That's something I love about toril, no stupid level requirements for eq.
Thurg
Sojourner

Postby Thurg » Fri Mar 16, 2001 11:05 pm

i hate level requirements for eq, they just suck... eq transfer is good like when a troll gets something for his mage or assassin. just my opinion

------------------
Thurg, Gramordues, Zanzor, Zhaxilor, Krondal
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Sat Mar 17, 2001 12:17 am

EQ transfer to secondary chars is cool, but:

It really sucks when you are in a group with your primary character and someone else in the group needs an item for their secondary or tertiary character, and end up getting it. That is really disheartening.

Nokie Quickfingers!
Trogar
Sojourner

Postby Trogar » Sat Mar 17, 2001 12:33 am

I disagree with Nokie. Why can't players who play a lot of several well dressed characters? I know from expereince that sometimes the mud gets boering, and playing a second or third character is rejuivinating.

I'm not talking about greed, as in needing an isha for a backup. But I don't think its bad for people who do zones a lot to keep acquiring eq for specific targets.

Tro
Galzar
Sojourner

Postby Galzar » Sat Mar 17, 2001 12:51 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Trogar:
<B> I disagree with Nokie. Why can't players who play a lot of several well dressed characters? I know from expereince that sometimes the mud gets boering, and playing a second or third character is rejuivinating.

I'm not talking about greed, as in needing an isha for a backup. But I don't think its bad for people who do zones a lot to keep acquiring eq for specific targets.

Tro</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hey tro how you been mang Image well i kinda agree with ya there, but i kinda dont. i mean i dont see anything wrong with people getting eq for their 2nd or 3rd characters, but what if the person in the group actually needs that piece of eq? i think it should go to prime characters doing zones, especially if it is major eq.

Galzar
Marforp
Sojourner

Postby Marforp » Sat Mar 17, 2001 1:06 am

Bah do it as we did in the good old days. A person can only bid for an item they will use on the character they are currently playing unless if they were asked to play that character specifically. This doesn't always have to be followed (i.e. person totally decked out and hasn't bid on anything for a few days can go ahead and bid). The weak thing about this is warriors can claim they are going to use HP on themselves or hit/dam or sv_spell and mages are pretty much just hp eq.

If some leader ever gets really bored they could do Tiapet split technique (number of times killed tiapet - 2x # of items gotten) with people who group with them. Pain in the butt to keep track though.

Marforp / Sasdor

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 17, 2001 2:06 am

Multi-playing equalling more than one player on at once playing the game = not allowed

Multi-playing equalling transferring equip to another character = allowed

Same rules as we have always had Image

Ere
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Sat Mar 17, 2001 2:11 am

I agree with Marforp. If you need an item for secondary or tertiary characters, and are playing that character currently, then bid away. If you are playing a character and are bidding for an item for a 'twink' (secondary etc), don't expect to get it when I lead, unless nobody in the group needs or wants it for the character they are playing. I see no reason to twink out other characters like this, except in one very specific circumstance.

And that circumstance is if you were playing character A, and need an item for him/her from a zone you were invited to, but the leader requests you play a secondary, designate as character B. In that case, being that you were asked to play another character specifically by the leader, I would be ok with bidding for character A, as long as it is stated up front to the entire group. Image

My 2 cents.

Mal
santego
Sojourner

Postby santego » Sat Mar 17, 2001 1:19 pm

Heh, I don't know about the rest of you, but whenever I twunk a character, I'd get bored at around level 20 and go back to my main char. And I agree with whoever said that Sojourn rules because it doesn't have silly level requirements on eq. Level requirements are a sign of an unbalanced mud (too much easy to get awsome eq - eventually winding up sitting in some "donation room", unclaimed).
Temg
Sojourner

Postby Temg » Sun Mar 18, 2001 9:26 am

I'm going to agree with Trogar here.

Besides, who are you to say that my need for the item for my mage (if I'm playing a warrior) is any different than your need for it? I've done the zone, I've worked hard, I diserve it as much as the next guy.

-T
Vazzgo
Sojourner

Postby Vazzgo » Sun Mar 18, 2001 10:50 am

If you want an item for your secundary, get it playing your secundary or at least let the group know that you want it before the group starts, if everyone is ok with you then you ok with everyone..
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Sun Mar 18, 2001 1:14 pm

weren't bank transfers allowed too?? ie: two chars in inn.. one goes to bank for quick cash while other chills in inn??
therdan
Sojourner

Postby therdan » Sun Mar 18, 2001 5:44 pm

In the past..
The bank was not the inn..
A guildhall was not the inn.. so no
Tayros
Sojourner

Postby Tayros » Mon Mar 19, 2001 1:15 pm

Mal hit it right on the head at the top of the string, and Trogar re-enforced it. The only thing I would add to the thread would be the competative element. It's a status symbol for an experienced player to be out and about in some killer equip, and I was always generous once I got a high level char and rerolled a lowbie hanging around other lowbies. Multiplaying? Nope. Twinking? Nope. Twinking involves newbies (no high primary).

Tay
Momo
Sojourner

Postby Momo » Mon Mar 19, 2001 2:33 pm

Question! Back in the days of people being almost exclusively on a dialup or school based connection I didn't have an issue of multiple people playing from my acct.

Nowadays I'm on dsl and have 2 computers almost 3. If myself and a friend decide to play from my place it's gonna look like multiplaying. How is that going to be dealt with considering I am not unique in having dsl + multiple computers.

Molidar/Dizlan
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Mon Mar 19, 2001 2:44 pm

Momo, Miax already stated that they would be allowing this, and would have it noted in a log somewhere. If you look through some of the posts, you'll see Miax's post about it... Someone reposted it over the weekend, too, so it shouldn't be too hard to find. Image

Mal

EDIT: Just found the link, here ya go. Thanks Wobb!

http://www.sojourn3.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000290.html

[This message has been edited by Malacar (edited 03-19-2001).]
Kobei
Sojourner

Postby Kobei » Thu Mar 22, 2001 12:03 am

I have a question...why does what I wear...or don't wear matter to anyone else? I can honestly say I never looked at someone for any other reason to see health, without being asked to look at something e.g. How do you like my new sword/boots/gloves etc??
I'll admit some of the best times I EVER had on sojourn was the trading/buying/selling and I didn't always get the better end of the deal, but I liked getting better and better eq NOT to show off but to know I got it with the skills I learned. Except for a skull earring (which I promptly gave back) I enjoyed every piece of eq I got, however I got it.
What really burns me is when you have thirty newbies look at you in as many minutes and assume you want to give crap away.
If everyone would pay attention to what THEY have and not worry why Joe Moe has an avenger at lev 10 then everything would work out fine, heh thats in a perfect world....or realm even Image anyway just a thought Image

Kobei
Zhadrak/Dharag
Sojourner

Postby Zhadrak/Dharag » Thu Mar 22, 2001 5:02 am

dang.. remembered when one of my friends put twilight on his level 1 warrior (with the rest of his decked out set).. never seen anyone hit 50 so fast
Marforp
Sojourner

Postby Marforp » Thu Mar 22, 2001 5:43 am

Why i'm bothering don't know...but got to love it the same people that call you twinks for pleveling new characters also hated those who horded eq. Well I wanted to equip each of my characters with their own eq yes it will take alot longer and I wouldn't have as many high level characters, but there would also be a lot less eq out there for you to bid on.

The number of times I did the vault alone just to help out other friends and refused bids (let alone everyone else who did the same)....

Marforp / Sasdor
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Mar 22, 2001 7:29 am

Last wipe I decked out my level 1 snake warrior with a twilight and 28/45 set.. Bwahaha it was fun.

Cherzra powermudder and proud of it.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”