north korea n middle east

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Iktar
Sojourner

north korea n middle east

Postby Iktar » Fri Dec 27, 2002 2:24 pm

lets see, ship from north korea carrying 12 scud missiles heading toward Yemen got busted.

now, north korea is kicking all UN atomic energy inspectors. reactivated their nuclear plant. said to have capability to produce nuclear armaments with in months.
well known to have supply weapons to nations willing to pay.

if conflict or war does break out in middle east. u can be sure, someone will contact north korea to see if working nuclear weapon will be ready for sale.

currently in South Korea, the mood of nation is that North Korea is goign to use this nuclear plant/nuclear armament as hidden joker card to get what they want. Say like more food or more oil or more money or something. Since UN or US would much rather avoid direct confrontation, they're (South Korea) is thinking that UN/US would come to tables once again. Which North Korea have done already in 1994 when they agreed to shut down Nuclear Plants for more aid.

What do you think? Is north korea trying to use nuclear plant/armament as hidden joker card like before in 1994? or actually build a nuclear weapon?
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Dec 27, 2002 3:41 pm

I think they are serious about it, and i think they are making a mistake. If a democrat was president, this wouldn't be a bad card to play, as it is almost a guarentee that there would be negotiations. But at the current juncture with bush and the terrorism problem, im sure the U.S. government will just throw north korea in with the other countries on the "axis of evil", as threatening nuclear war is definately a terrorist act. We're going to war with Iraq anyway, why not just stop in North Korea along the way and blow up the plant? 2 stones with 1 bird.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw

Gargauth responds to your petition with 'whats your point, we hate you'
Tayros
Sojourner

Postby Tayros » Fri Dec 27, 2002 4:49 pm

GW already classified N. Korea as part of the axis of evil, which really pissed them off. Think about this: you are a small country called that by a large country, wouldn't you think to yourself, "self, we've got the global eye, let's play it for what it's worth and get the things we want"

Brass tacks: negative, N. Korea doesn't have the balls. They'll back down eventually.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Dec 27, 2002 4:56 pm

You think eventually will be good enough? If they will have nukes ready to go in a few months, then the shit is gonna hit the fan soon. I dunno how serious they are, but I know Bush is dead serious, and really doesn't want to deal with this distraction with the situation in Iraq the way it is. North Korea is treading on thin ice, id really like to see this situation defuse itself but i dont know if it will in the time frame that Bush is looking for.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw

Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Dec 27, 2002 5:09 pm

I kinda figgered N. Korea was taking advantage of the Iraq situation to sneak in a little bit of something more in the hopes that we'd be too busy to give them the kind of attention they'd like to avoid. Either that or there's something going on under the table between Iraq and N. Korea. Either way, our attention's split and there's hard pressure on the UN.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Fri Dec 27, 2002 5:15 pm

when bush first said axes of evil he had included n.k. because of nucular and other problems.

------------------
MoM-D
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Fri Dec 27, 2002 5:22 pm

North Korea is definately taking advantage of the situation in Iraq.. and when we go after Saddam that'll be a perfect point for N Korea to make a move, since having to deal with two flashpoints on opposite ends of the world at the same time is pretty damend tough.
I certainly think that N Korea has the balls to try to invade the south, because they have a wacko in charge. They've got no economy besides exporting weapons, so having even a "crappy" nuke can bring in some serious cash. They can't sustain a prolonged conflict greater than about 3 weeks, since they have no supplies... so if the crazy leader is serious about retaking the south or anything, a nuke will certainly help that. Remember its only about 3 hours to Seoul from the DMZ, and our 40,000 troups there would be nothing more than a speedbump against the 1 million N Korean army.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Fri Dec 27, 2002 6:51 pm

some people history repeats itself

i say

people repeat history

------------------
MoM-D
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Dec 27, 2002 7:05 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rylan:
I certainly think that N Korea has the balls to try to invade the south, because they have a wacko in charge. ... so if the crazy leader is serious about retaking the south or anything, a nuke will certainly help that. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you really think a nuke would help him retake South Korea? I mean like you said, the two major cities are only 3 hours apart, nuclear fallout could easily travel that far. Crazy or not, i couldn't really picture north korea using nuclear warfare on south korea. Of course, i couldn't picture a bunch of arabs flying planes into the world trade center, either.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw

rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Fri Dec 27, 2002 7:44 pm

Yeah, I don't think N Korea would nuke the south. What I meant was the north would certainly use it as a threat to hold the city and retake more land.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Dec 27, 2002 7:49 pm

Very feasable. I personally think the U.S. would instantly become involved if north korea began holding south korea hostage with the threat of nuclear war. Either way this is a very bad situation.

edit - i spel lyke a retawded third gradur.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw

[This message has been edited by thanuk (edited 12-27-2002).]
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Fri Dec 27, 2002 8:44 pm

Doubt that North Korea really wants a war. They are crazy but not stupid. They are posturing for a new deal.

They figure we gave them Nuclear reactors last time maybe we will give them more food this time. Throw in some hoes and picks and maybe some seeds to start their own farms with.

Can't feed their own people but they want to craete nuclear weapons. Idiots.
Iktar
Sojourner

Postby Iktar » Fri Dec 27, 2002 9:16 pm

few things i like to point out.

1) Nuclear weapons have never been used to strike another nation since World War 2 but always been used for raising the chips on the table.

2) US forces only have two major land bases in Asia: Japan and South Korea. US will not afford to loose either one since its our foothold in Asia.

3) North Korea's terrain is very, very, very poor for agriculture and overemphasis of Military => Less domestic technology. Can't provide nuff food.

4) North Korea has the armaments and the 5th largest army. Unless threat of conflict or war is serious, North Korea will laugh at you and ignore you. It's not like Iraqi who's military forces can be smited down. We're more afraid of Terrorist retaliation than facing Iraqi Military.

5) If North Korea is forced to Nuke someone, I think they would nuke Japan :P
If not, North Korea certainly has capability to strike US. And who knows what crazy plan they will pull (Die another day!! ahahah)

6) Currently, Anti-US sentiments is strong in South Korea (The two military men got off too easy for killing the korean girls!!) and South Korea wants to avoid confrontation at all cost.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Dec 27, 2002 9:20 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Iktar:
<B>few things i like to point out.

5) If North Korea is forced to Nuke someone, I think they would nuke Japan :P
If not, North Korea certainly has capability to strike US. And who knows what crazy plan they will pull (Die another day!! ahahah)

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As far as i know, North Korea has no ICBM capabilities. So their capability to strike the U.S. is severely limited by that, as even if they have nuclear weaponry, they still have to be able to get it here. Of course, they could've bought the ICBM technology from China, since Clinton was so willing to hand it over...

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw

cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Dec 27, 2002 10:18 pm

Here's some really interesting reading: http://www.uscc.gov/chinperc.pdf

It's an official study of how China perceives the US, in all aspects. In the military section, there's a quote from a Chinese study about a hypothetical conflict between NK and the US.

Here's what China thinks according to that document:

<I>
Chinese military authors also appear to devalue the effectiveness of U.S.forces in a future Korean scenario. According to a colonel at AMS, several factors ensure U.S.defeat “if in the next few years a Korean War erupted.” His main points are:

!The United States will not have 6 months to deploy and train forces.Instead,“
Korean People’s Army will surprise attack South Korean air bases,ports, communication lines.”
!“U.S.casualties will not be as low as in the Gulf War....On thepeninsula,the population is dense,with river networks and mountains,roads are few, unsuitable to armor ...casualties will be extremely high.”
!“North Korea ’s mountains are wrapped in clouds and mist;it will be difficult
the U.S.Air Force and high-technology weaponry to give full play to their
superiority.”
!Temperatures of negative 40 degrees centigrade “provide excellent conditions ”
guerrilla warfare.
!North Korea will not allow the United States to land in the rear.
!U.S.forces lack numerical strength.During the Korean War,U.S.troops over 400,000,but the result was not victory.In the 1960s and 1970s,in the Vietnam American forces were 663,000 and had great technical superiority,but the result also
defeat.U.S.forces in year 2000 will be 70 percent of today.
</I>

All if it is very interesting reading actually.

[This message has been edited by cherzra (edited 12-27-2002).]
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Fri Dec 27, 2002 11:28 pm

North Korea is violating the DMZ again, with machine gun installments and other light artillary posts.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/asiapcf/east/12/27/nkorea.dmz/index.html
combatmedic
Sojourner

Postby combatmedic » Sat Dec 28, 2002 1:45 am

I'll tell you what they told me when I first arrived in Korea for my tour. "Either way, we are going to invade North Korea, either with food, or with guns." Every soldier that gets stationed in Korea thinks that is going to be the year that we are going to war. When i was there, the North Korean Submarine full of special forces landed *read "crashed"* into South Korea, and the S.K Army hunted them all down, and shot every last man. That year we also had the defectors that were assassinated by the North Korean special forces. Hell, i was patrolling the border and someone actually fired a weapon at the border (we were in tanks, and it was a single shot from what sounded like a rifle).

When my Dad was stationed there, that was when they had that famed (well in Korea) tree chopping incident where the north koreans killed some soldiers near the border trying to chop down a tree, so we went in force, just to chop a single tree down. Sometimes i wonder about that...heh

I'll tell you what is going to happen, there will be alot of posturing, huffing, puffing. A lot of concessions will be made by both sides, North Korea will get some food, they will take away thier machine guns, power down that reactor, and get a bunch of money to build that "other" reactor. Personally, the less missiles they have, the happier i am. They are only doing all of this to get more "aid" in the form of money/food.

edit: Oh BTW, in response to that other article, they have more armor in North Korea than all of us in South Korea. The U.S. is currenty switching over to the new "Lighter Army" where we are switching all our tanks to the new LAV's (Land Assault Vehicles) with huge wheels instead of "tracks" which makes them more durable, lighter, faster, hence more deadly. With todays technology, it is no longer the size of your gun, but what kind of bullet you have in it.

Also, if you look at the roads in South Korea, you will see that all thier bridges are rigged with explosives, and at "strategic" points (read: every 5 feet) they have huge concrete walls rigged with explosives too, to fall on the roads to prevent THIER tanks from coming south.

Edit2:Omfg i can't spell, or use grammar, or...
------------------
"If it ain't broke, fix it until it is"

Dalen the super paly.
Aram the novice paly.

[This message has been edited by combatmedic (edited 12-27-2002).]

[This message has been edited by combatmedic (edited 12-27-2002).]
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Sat Dec 28, 2002 7:13 pm

I think we should go and blow up the plant.

Yep, seriously. Fuck em.

-Gerad

------------------
Auril tells you 'Yes, we're plotting the destruction of all that is holy - and unholy, too. Just to be thorough.'
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sun Dec 29, 2002 11:57 pm

why just the plant, lets nuke the whole damn country
Ssikin
Sojourner

Postby Ssikin » Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:48 am

I must say... I look thru the boards very rarely and even less rare is an actual post in my name but this one grabbed my attention... I think that we have been to damn nice to alot of people personally.... One thing I have read which isn't to say it is true... is that america has a doctrine to have the ability to be able to engage in two major confilcts and one minor one without being spread real thin.... so I think NK "sticking they're dicks out" is only bound to get them burnt and give america and GW's holy crusade the two licks they need to roll them over... The big thing now is what else?!?! I think the biggest player right now would be China, but they seem to be walking parallel with us for now... so is NK threats a big problem... shouldn't be.... is this really the time to say "Suck This!" to america or her alies... not really... I think if anything NK is getting impatient and may be making it's move a bit too prematurely.... but what do I know... I am just a punk kid with his GED Image

------------------
Kasula OOC: 'the butt tells all... if your any bit fat... your butt will tell'

Kasula OOC: 'kinda like the crystal ball of the human body'
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Mon Dec 30, 2002 11:15 pm

This will get ugly.

Toplack

------------------

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”