Book List

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
mezheru
Sojourner

Book List

Postby mezheru » Sun Dec 29, 2002 4:33 pm

Hello folks - I'm having trouble finding good books these days. With that in mind, I'm posting my "most memorable book list", in the hopes that you'll do the same so that I (and everyone) might have something to look forward to. My list is not in any particular order, it is incomplete, and a few are out of print.

1) Neverwhere, Neil Gaiman
2) Magic Kingdom for sale (Bestseller), Terry Brooks
3) Jumper, Steven Ghould (Gould?)
4) Replay, Ken Grimwood
5) The Exorcist - forget the movie
6) Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card
7) Once Around the Realms - Forgotten Realms - (Brian Thomsen (sic.))
8) Inferno (MUST read) - Larry Niven
9) Ringworld - Larry Niven
10) Lucifer's Hammer - Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle
11) The Mote in God's Eye - Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle
12) Footfall (Bestseller) - Larry Niven, Jerry Pournelle
13) Tomorrow & Tomorrow - Charles Sheffield
14) Higher Education - A jupiter novel - Charles Sheffield, Jerry Pournelle
15) A Wizard of Earthsea - Ursula K. Le Guin
16) The Misenchanted Sword - Lawrence Watt-Evans (This is the first in a series of "ethshar" novels)
17) The Sorcerer's Son - Phyllis Eisenstein (amazing first of three amazing books, anything by her is great)
18) Midshipman's Hope - David Feintuch (series: words do not describe)
19) Faerie Tale - Raymond E. Feist
20) Magician's Apprentice series - (original) - Raymond E. Feist
21) LOTR - Tolkien

Non-SF/Fantasy:
1) The Alienist - Calib Carr
2) Cuckoo's Egg - Cliff Stohl
3) Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood (Rebecca Wells) *chick book, superbly written though*
4) Memoirs of a Geisha - Arthur Golden(see above)
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Sun Dec 29, 2002 8:20 pm

Wow, don't often see Neverwhere pop up on lists. God I love that book so much.

------------------
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Dec 29, 2002 8:48 pm

In no particular order..

Narnia chronicles
Wheel of Time Series
Dragonlance
Original 7 Shanarra books
Redwall bahahah!

Atlas Shrugged
Stranger in a Strange Land
Dune
cripes so many to list

------------------
Gormal Stoneforge -Hammerstrike-

"Forward Mithrilguard!"
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Sun Dec 29, 2002 9:48 pm

These have helped me form a coherent, sober idea of where I fit:

Steppenwolf - Hermann Hesse
The Plague - Alber Camus
the Way Things Are: De Rerum Natura - Lucretius
The Sea Wolf - Jack London

These have fed my love of reading:

With a Single Spell - Lawrence Watt-Evans
Metamorphoses - Publius Ovidius Naso
Gates of Ivrel - CJ Cherryh
The Hobbit - J.R. Tolkien
I am Legend - Richard Matheson
Le Morte D'Arthur - Thomas Malory
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams

------------------
·•Kuurg•·
Dhurn
Sojourner

Postby Dhurn » Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:09 am

hrmm

Legend by David Gemmell (I swear this axeman shoulda been a dorf)
The Waylander Saga by David Gemmell
Legend of Nightfall by Reichert
Bazil Broketail Saga by Christopher Rowley (the story of a dragon and his boy)
The Mithgar saga by Dennis McKiernan (especially Eye of the Hunter)
The Vlad Taltos Saga by Steven Brust (the story of a not so reluctant assassin....and his pet pseudodragon)
Grunts by Mary Gentle (da Orc Marines?...nuff said)
the Dragoncrown cycle by Michael Stackpole
the original 4 book set by Raymond E. Feist (starting with Magician : Apprentice and ending with a Darkness at Sethanon)
the Rover by Mel Odom (the story of the fearsome halfling Librarian)
the Elric of Melnibone Saga by Michael Moorcock (I really wanna sword like Stormbringer)
The Sunrunner Saga by Melanie Rawn (yes a book by a female author...but who would have ever guessed she could write so many characters...just to get them all killed off)

------------------
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:21 am

My friend in school was David Gemmell's nephew, very cool because we got all the books for free.

(EDIT: My 'o' key is stuck)
------------------
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

[This message has been edited by Xisiqomelir (edited 12-29-2002).]
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:10 am

I like the Runelords Saga, by David Farland.

The Belgariad and Mallorean series', Belgarath the Sorceror, and Polgara the Sorceress... By David Eddings.

I'm pretty enthralled with R.A. Salvatore's writings.. All the Drizzt and Cadderly books were good.

On a related note... I still can't read the lord of the rings or the hobbit.. Tolkein's writing just bores the shit out of me.

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Tanji ASSOC:: 'god was blueballed the night before he made Thanuk'
mezheru
Sojourner

Postby mezheru » Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:25 pm

I've read a lot of what you folks have put here (Legends, Elric, dragonlance, Eddings, etc.). I've also found a couple of neet things I'd like to try out, so my thanks for the recommendations!

Malacar, Tolkien has to be read when you are wide awake, have plenty of free time, not under stress, you're sitting comfortably in your favorite coffee house, and you are "ready for it", whatever that means for you. I had to try reading it like 3 times before I was "ready for it", and when I was, I slammed through it quite appreciably, and I've read it every couple of years since then. Maybe give it another try sometime Image
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:22 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dhurn:
<B>hrmm
The Vlad Taltos Saga by Steven Brust (the story of a not so reluctant assassin....and his pet pseudodragon)

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah, what Brust does well is encompassed within these novels, though I didn't like where they went (with Vlad leaving the empire), but then who knows where the story is going to end up.
I appreciate Vlad's dry sense of humor, which I feel Brust has always handled deftly.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gormal:
<B>
In no particular order..

Narnia chronicles

Do you like C.S. Lewis in general or just his narnia chronicles? He wrote an excellent book called the Screwtape Letters. It's religious like the narnia chronicles, but not over-bearingly so. It's a Demon corresponding with his young nephew about his 'progress' - very funny.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mezheru:
<B>
Hello folks - I'm having trouble finding good books these days.

6) Ender's Game - Orson Scott Card

Did you mean that entire series and related series? I really liked the Shadow books, though I had the same complaints with those that I did with the Ender books; specifically that his 'children' think like adults, and I don't mean tactically, I mean they behave the same way an adult would with pretty much any situation.

John Wyndham wrote some good books, too: Day of the Triffids, Kraken, Chrysalids...

oh, and it was discussed in another thread, Watt-Evans also wrote the overman series, which is pretty good (lure of the basilisk, et al)

Mezheru = Gledrukmig?

Kuurg = Dueleren

------------------
·•Kuurg•·
mezheru
Sojourner

Postby mezheru » Mon Dec 30, 2002 9:30 pm

Dueleren! Yeah I'm gledrukmig ImageWonderful to "see" you!

1)I liked the Ender's Shadow quite a bit. Though in my original post, I was only referring to Ender's Game, the original.
2)I read a watt-evans book about dragons, it was really good (new series, not sure if it is an overman book).

Another book that I think should be mentioned that rules, is "Sir Apropos of Nothing", by Peter David. I usually hate "funny fantasy", but this guy is absolutely great. Superior writing.

What I would pay 100 bucks to read: a book kind of like Wizard of Earthsea or Magician's apprentice, where a boy learns magic in a school or through an apprenticeship, rises to power, etc. Another example comes to mind: Secret of the fifth Magic series (6th,7th). I like the idea of a nobody (like me) rising to power through work and determination, with A-team music playing in the background, getting you in the mood to succeed (heh).

k, i've said enough
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Mon Dec 30, 2002 9:53 pm

Here's my list of books I like, and like to re-read.. (no special order.)

* A Game of Thrones - George R. R. Martin.
* Silmarillion - JRR Tolkien
* American Gods - Neil Gaiman
* Lord of the Flies - William Golding
* Utvandrarna - Vilhelm Moberg
* The clash of Civilizations.. - Samuel P. Huntingdon
* Encounter with Tiber - Buzz Aldrin
* "the Belgariad" - David Eddings
* Wizards First Rule - Terry Goodkind
* The Demonhaunted World - Carl Sagan

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Mon Dec 30, 2002 10:22 pm

If you like Larry Niven, you'll enjoy Dan Simmons sci-fi stuff... Hyperion series specifically.

He also writes in horror, fantasy, and straight fiction.

And if you liked Inferno, read Dante's version, which Nivens is a loose following of.

Toplack

------------------
combatmedic
Sojourner

Postby combatmedic » Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:22 am

This book made me go out to sea to be a seaman (*heh, i said seaman*)/commercial fisherman: The Sea Wolf by Jack London

This book made me proud to be an outdoorsman (made me wanna be a wolf too): White Fang by Jack London

These books made me want to be a frontiersman (i guess i sorta was, commercial fishing in AK, much less just living there): Dad's hand me down Louis L'Amour Westerns

This book made me join the army to be a WARRIOR! *Rar!*: The Walking Drum by Louis L'Amour

These series'(?) helped me survive countless forays into the "mountains" of Korea and Deserts of the U.S.: The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan, and the X-wing series by a pack o Star Wars fanatics..

This book serves as my door stop because I HATE IT!: PDR 1998 Physicians Desk Reference by a bunch of geeks

This series i am freaking waiting for them to finish because i gotta finish what i start even though the books are starting to get more boring as i go on: Left Behind series by Tim LaHaye

Honorable mentions: The Blue Day book because it's funny. Charles Dickens, because his books are sitting on my shelf collecting dust, yet they make me look a little more sophisticated. My coloring books because they give me something to scribe during my nights sitting at 1W

------------------
"If it ain't broke, fix it until it is"

Dalen the super paly.
Aram the novice paly.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”