Rangers

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Daz
Sojourner

Rangers

Postby Daz » Wed Jan 01, 2003 3:48 am

I am a bit steamed ATM. I was, inexplicably, listening to OOC for a bit, and I heard a most troubling statement.

Drizzt > Aragorn.

The very notion is absurd. Do people even read? Granted, the halfass attempts of Salvatore to glorify the ranger class is impressive, but it pales to Tolkien's example, which defined the very class.

Give Aragorn some magic trinkets and watch him put the pansy tanned elf in his place and show him what it means to have the blood of kings flow through your veins instead of that of a bastard.

How about it?

Drizzt vs Aragorn?
Cattie-Brie vs Legolas?
Bruenor vs Gimli?
Wulfgar vs Boromir?
Regis vs Frodo/Sam/Merry/Pippin?

Regardless of what you think, Gandalf would kick all of Savalatore's pansy-ass characters' butts combined.

Piss on this, rainmaker.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Jan 01, 2003 3:49 am

Keep in mind differences in magic and the worlds, and be sure to include those factors in your equations.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jan 01, 2003 3:59 am

Err... you mean include their magic? Then Salvatores chars would all win hands down. Frodo's the only Tolkien character with even one magic weapon! And even just Guenwhyvar would be enough magic to tip the scales to Salvatore.

If you took away all the magic though?

Drizzt > Aragorn
Legolas > Catti-brie
Bruenor == Gimli
Wulfgar > Boromir
Regis > Frodo/Sam/Merry/Pippin (Unless it's 4 on 1)

I explained Drizzt vs. Aragorn already in the other thread. Tolkien may have defined the ranger class, but Salvatore made improvements.

Catti-brie is a good archer, but not elven and not elven trained. Truthfully she'd probably be screwed without Talmauril.

Bruenor and Gimli both seem like comic relief chars, and even in fights they both end up just getting stuck after one kill. Bruenor got his axe stuck in a goblin skull once, and Gimli got trapped under dead wargs. Though Bruenor would probably come out on top, he'd be in bad shape afterwards... I think he's got more determination to pull through.

Wulfgar's just got more strength, size and skill than Boromir. I mean, Boromir went down to some measly orcs didn't he?

Regis has fought more than the hobbits. Not much more, but I haven't seen a single hobbit kill a single thing so far...

------------------
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Jan 01, 2003 4:02 am

I disagree with the drizzt vs aragorn, but agree on all else.

aragorn is NOT human, and his abilities extend beyond what we have seen so far in the movies, bleh.

drizzt would go down in the 7th
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jan 01, 2003 4:05 am

"Regardless of what you think, Gandalf would kick all of Savalatore's pansy-ass characters' butts combined."

Actually, while Gandalf might have a chance against Drizzt and company; he would get PWNED by Cadderly.

Actually, I'm not even sure he _could_ take Drizzt and company. _They_ took out a Balor without losing anyone, whereas Gandalf died in his fight against one... Image

------------------
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jan 01, 2003 4:06 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
<B>I disagree with the drizzt vs aragorn, but agree on all else.

aragorn is NOT human, and his abilities extend beyond what we have seen so far in the movies, bleh.

drizzt would go down in the 7th</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not human?

Still doesn't matter, all of Drizzt's warrior training gives him the advantage over Aragorn's princely nancing training.

------------------
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Jan 01, 2003 4:46 am

a balrog is not a balor, and gandalf is 15,000 years old. i doubt you have seen even a part of his potential.
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Sojourner

Postby Jasix Prowlingwolf » Wed Jan 01, 2003 5:02 am

Smmeeeeagol owns all!!

My ciggie lighter kills em all...

How can you compare characters from totally different enviroments... Shall we compare Drizzt with Master Yoda? Would Drizzt's spanky scimitars be a match for Yoda's Light Saber? Is the 'skill' of the Jedi superior to the ranger? Yes this is a bit far fetched... but you wanna compare...

Is Britney better in the sack then Christina?

Lets face it most of the characters in the books we read are so unbelivable it aint funny.. Could a ranger and a smelly little dorf hold off 10,000 orcs? I doubt it but they did... Flap ya arms about really fast... do they 'blur'? Maybe if your stoned :P

I would agree that aragon is a closer match to what i imagine a true ranger would be like. He is human... I read books but I dont believe in Drow or Elves..

Now if you have these said characters in a room, give them equal weaponary or common make, i'd have to say they would fight for an eternity... why? Cause they are the characters that aren't supposed to die.. (assuming niether dies in the books i haven't read yet)

Oh Cattie-Brie vs Legolas? hehe that cracks me up :P Where is the basis of this comparision? She looks more like a male then he does :P Poofy little elf :P (sorry Jen)

The only real comparision is which series do YOU like more... Or which ones c0ome closer to YOUR idea of the class of character.

Hmmm Raistalin vs Gandalf.... Now there is a battle i would love to see! Come on the Black robe!

------------------
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Protector of Clan Prowlingwolf

[This message has been edited by Jasix Prowlingwolf (edited 01-01-2003).]
Iaiken Toransier
Sojourner

Postby Iaiken Toransier » Wed Jan 01, 2003 5:02 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
a balrog is not a balor, and gandalf is 15,000 years old. i doubt you have seen even a part of his potential.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to agree with Daz on this one...

Don't f*** with an Istari, especially not the one possessing the ring of fire.

Gandalf has been around since before the last alliance, and yet has never been directly involved in the shaping of the worlds future.

With power comes the responsibility to not abuse it...

------------------
Iaiken Toransier,
Morithiel group sez "Iaiken, you gotta be jonny on the spot with the rescues."
You sez "Roger that."
Morithiel has left the group.
Morithiel tells you "Where were ya on that one?"
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Wed Jan 01, 2003 5:50 am

Comparing the two is ridiculous, considering the entirely different cultures, worlds, styles and enviroments surrounding each character.

Salvatore simply took the mechanics that were created in an attempt to recreate the style that Aragorn portrays, and stuffed a grossly overpowered, unbelievable character into that mold.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Jan 01, 2003 6:16 am

Well duh Aragorn would win. With a name like that, you HAVE to kick ass.

------------------
- Ragorn
Rondandal tells you 'I take it your goal is to clash?'
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Jan 01, 2003 6:30 am

What is a Ragorn doing here?
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Wed Jan 01, 2003 7:02 am

What is a Ragorn doing here?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Waiting for me to get him outta whatever sticky situation he's gotten himself into. Ragorn = Inspector Gadget, Tanji = Penny.

------------------
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Jan 01, 2003 7:46 am

Thanuk = Brain.

------------------
- Ragorn
Rondandal tells you 'I take it your goal is to clash?'
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Wed Jan 01, 2003 7:52 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarvis:
<B>"Regardless of what you think, Gandalf would kick all of Savalatore's pansy-ass characters' butts combined."

Actually, while Gandalf might have a chance against Drizzt and company; he would get PWNED by Cadderly.

Actually, I'm not even sure he _could_ take Drizzt and company. _They_ took out a Balor without losing anyone, whereas Gandalf died in his fight against one... Image

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gandolph comes back from the dead to reap revenge. Beat that!

I mean, what could really kill a dude who can solo a freakin balrog?

-G

------------------
Auril tells you 'Yes, we're plotting the destruction of all that is holy - and unholy, too. Just to be thorough.'
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Wed Jan 01, 2003 8:31 am

gandolf never died he fell into shadow and was beating the shit outa the balrog on the way down...then when they landed he proceeded to beat the shit outs the balrog summore...
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Wed Jan 01, 2003 8:41 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ragorn:
<B>Thanuk = Brain.

Glad I'm not Thanuk!

------------------
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Wed Jan 01, 2003 8:56 am

Im a big fan of the books but there are some things that are different, so for the benefit of the major populace I go by whats in the movies, which is that he basically dies up on the cliff and goes back to heaven and is sent back to middle earth.

------------------
Auril tells you 'Yes, we're plotting the destruction of all that is holy - and unholy, too. Just to be thorough.'
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jan 01, 2003 3:05 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gerad:
<B> Gandolph comes back from the dead to reap revenge. Beat that!

I mean, what could really kill a dude who can solo a freakin balrog?

-G

Well, the balrog he solod for one...

------------------
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Wed Jan 01, 2003 4:04 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarvis:
<B>
Well, the balrog he solod for one...

It's a little vague in the books weather Gandalf actually died or not. Myself I'm inclined to think that he didn't die, but came very close to it. From watching the movie, the imagery they used certainly gave the impression that he had died. The book is the authority tho, Tolkien didn't write the movies Image

-Zen

------------------
The Lord of the Iron Wastes holds his hammer high in the air, shouting a torment... 'Weak fools!'
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Thu Jan 02, 2003 2:47 am

<B>Err... you mean include their magic? Then Salvatores chars would all win hands down. Frodo's the only Tolkien character with even one magic weapon! And even just Guenwhyvar would be enough magic to tip the scales to Salvatore.

Are you smoking the pipe weed again?

It is fairly obvious that Morgul craftsman use magical means to create their weaponry.

Glamdring and Anduril are BOTH somewhat magical in their own right, and are far above "normal" blades.

In the books, each of the hobbits gets a, shall we say blessed, dagger from the barrow when it is torn asunder by Bombadil.

I'm confused as to how you can say Sting is the only magical weapon in the story, except if you are only talking about the movies.

As for the argument, it's pointless. Much like comparing Nazis to Mongols, or Vikings to Ninjas. There is no basis for which to make a comparison.

Twinshadow

------------------
Kribble tells you 'everytime I've seen you die it was doing something cool or trying to save someone's ass... die away!'
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:00 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ragorn:
<B>Thanuk = Brain.

Ragorn = Pinky.

Tanji = Ray Finkel.

I will still take Ditka over all the characters that have been listed in this thread, combined.

Ditka 7,349,851 Drizzt, aragorn and the scrub team 6.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw

Gargauth responds to your petition with 'whats your point, we hate you'
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Mon Jan 06, 2003 3:09 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thanuk:
<B> Ragorn = Pinky.

My favourite Animaniacs lines of all time:

Brain: "Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?
Pinky: "Yea Brain, but if they called them Sad Meals they wouldn't sell as many!"

------------------
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:14 pm

I almost had an argument for this thread, but then I realized half the people posting about it probably walked out of the theater saying stuff like "legolas is a this level this" "aragorn is a this level this" :P

------------------
Hibbidy group-says 'you using fkeys or buttons'
Tsaen group-says 'buttons'
Tsaen group-says 'f1 f2'
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Tue Jan 07, 2003 5:52 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tasan:
<B>As for the argument, it's pointless. Much like comparing Nazis to Mongols, or Vikings to Ninjas. There is no basis for which to make a comparison.

Twinshadow

Mongols > Nazis (on style points alone)
Vikings > Ninjas (this was close, the the Mead Hall tips the scales in the Norsemen's favor).

------------------
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:55 am

Drizzt vs Aragorn?
Cattie-Brie vs Legolas?
Bruenor vs Gimli?
Wulfgar vs Boromir?
Regis vs Frodo/Sam/Merry/Pippin?
Gandalf v Elminster.

drizzt too easy. it got to the point where he was solo'ing dragons. ok he had wulfur w/ him. he was unmatched, even better than artemis. they held off swarms & swarms of troll 'stream of silver'.

legolas. i was never impressed with cattie-brie.

regis. he grow up in calimsport while hobbits grow up in nicey shire.

bruenor in his prime. gimli now cuz bruenor is an old king now.

wulfur. he dies to a handmaiden of lloth, while boromir died to orcs.

i will take elminster cuz he's mystra lover. also he was rogue, warrior and cleric b4 becoming a mage. but raistlin will win all cuz he was going to take out oz or whatever the goodie god was.

of course those char from dragonlance took out dragons like cake.

tokien < forgotten realms < dragonlance

but i like to read forgotten realms books more than the rest.

sok

ps. reminds me of star trek v star wars.

[This message has been edited by sok (edited 01-07-2003).]
Fripple
Sojourner

Postby Fripple » Wed Jan 08, 2003 3:31 am

OMG Raistalin vs Gandalf.

Raistalin destroyed the universe. I'd pay 6$ to see them scrap.

Raistalin is my hero. Intelligent, great caster, but can't move if reduced... that's me!

------------------
Fripple Kiara - Stone Heart -

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”