Two Towers (DONT OPEN THREAD IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN IT!)

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Two Towers (DONT OPEN THREAD IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN IT!)

Postby Jegzed » Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:58 pm

Okies, I kind of really liked the no.1 alot, and this movie was semi-decent.

There was just a few annoying details, that was not merely changes from the book (which is okay in my eyes), but changing the concept of the mythology and stories.

Two thing irritated me to no end.

1) The elf army showing up Helms Deep, only to be slaughtered to almost the last man.
*sigh* Not even worth it to explain why its not likely for that to happen.

2) Treebeards change of opinion. Ents are supposed to be super-non-hasty, and its even mentioned in the movie.. So he see's Isengard, and suddenly changes his mind on a whim and charges.

Oh well.. probably a decent movie anyway, but well..

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
Braggo Boulderbasher
Sojourner

Postby Braggo Boulderbasher » Wed Dec 18, 2002 7:59 pm

rofl Jeg I just posted a LOTR thread Image
I totally agree with you, there's no way the Ents would have all the sudden decided to go to war, and the elves army just made me mad Image The elves are cool and all but not supposed to be there. But I liked it nonetheless, its just not the book.

------------------
Braggo Boulderbasher

[This message has been edited by Braggo Boulderbasher (edited 12-18-2002).]

Postby Guest » Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:18 pm

Not to mention the fact that the ents would have been painfully aware of the trees that were cut down, not suddenly surprised by it.

And Faramir was a straight slap in the face to Tolkien.

------------------
Shevarash OOC: 'if (!strcmp(GET_NAME(ch), "Dartan))'

[This message has been edited by Iyachtu (edited 12-18-2002).]
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Wed Dec 18, 2002 8:23 pm

thanks for RUINING THE WHOLE MOVIE! geez, you'd think there would be a warning, or something. My only choice now is revenge!

The Titanic sinks at the end!

I really need something to do here at work, this is getting sad.

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw
Udor says 'con doesnt do shit'
Valke
Sojourner

Postby Valke » Wed Dec 18, 2002 9:46 pm

A great movie! comparible to the first! The scenary was beautiful! I thought the movie followed the book very well! Ents are sweet! And the elves, yeah hardly any left, but there was hardly anyone left from what I had seen, until the other people arrived.
Nedle2
Sojourner

Postby Nedle2 » Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:48 pm

i was actually bumed at small role the fighting and large battles played in the movie...the theatre electrified on all these scenes and its was so short...spent more time running over the hills then actually fighting....

then again i though gladiator was a love story...

nedle the halfling chanter
Kyos
Sojourner

Postby Kyos » Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:10 am

A few things sucked.

-How gimli always, and i mean _always_ is having comic lines. Not good advertisment for the dwarf race. They make a freaking comedy out of gimli.

-Surfing legolas. C'mon! Whatta hell... he surfes down a stair on a piece of wood and shoots arrows. Couldn't he have runned instead! How utterly, completely lame.

-The whole helms battle seemed like a bad rpg session of some dnd kids. Christ, they are even counting orc kills and make a freaking comedy out of that too. Like some nerd kids playing dnd yelling "hahah i got my 21st orc kill!" Ok that they may do it in tolkien's books, but it did not fit on the screen.

No.1 was better...
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Dec 19, 2002 12:24 am

Wasn't bad. I think I've got it now... Aragorn sexes up all the hot chicks, legolas does all the cool battle maneuvers (fastest horse mount ever), and Gorm...uh Gimli just kind of stands around and says stupid shit.

What was wrong with Faramir? Didn't read it, please explain.

------------------
- Ragorn
Rondandal tells you 'I take it your goal is to clash?'
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:17 am

i have to go re-watch. got stuck in the 2nd row. got a headache cuz i had to move my head back and front so i could see everything and with all the movement i got sick. i enjoy 1 more but 2 will grow on me when i see it more and after the extra 1/2 version comes out.
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Thu Dec 19, 2002 3:13 am

I'm not disappointed about the helms deep battle, considering, if I were in a battle of a few hundred vs. thousands, well, I'd try and have the time of my life, seeing the chances that it would be the end.

Not to hijack or nothing, but no movie, ever, in all time, will have all of the same details as a book. Ever. A movie can't begin to cover the ground that a book can. So why continuously compare it to the books and say "damn, in the book, he scratched his chin, but in the movie, he scratched his nose, I hate the movie! waaaaaaaa".

The books rocked hard core. The movie rocked hard core. But personally, I don't compare the two, because I already know their different. I take the movies as a seperate story. Makes that $9 ticket and $25 in drinks and snacks all the more worth it.

------------------
Cordan Se'Draka - Paladin of Helm - Mortal Eye of the Vigilant One -
Dizzin
Sojourner

Postby Dizzin » Thu Dec 19, 2002 5:14 am

Utterly agree with Iya about Faramir. This was supposed to be a man of the old, strong blood. A person who was prolly the greatest man in Gondor at the time, and they had him kidnap the hobbits basically instead of setting them free as in the books.

Frankly, it looked like they wanted to make the hobbits play an even bigger role in events than the books laid out. Especially that way that Pippin "tricked" Treebeard into going to war by seeing Isengard etc. And then the talk that Sam gave that made Faramir change his mind. Was frankly despicable imo, and a slap in the face to Tolkien.

A decent movie, but I expected better from it.
Elisten
Sojourner

Postby Elisten » Thu Dec 19, 2002 5:35 am

Ok, the only probs I have are...

In the book Faramir didn't take Frodo and Sam to Gondor (Minis Tirith!)He let them free at the forbidden pool... That part kinda was a let down. The whole Faramir part.

Also the book actually ended right after Shelob's lair! I was so excited to see that part. Oh well, still good.

Oh and one more thing! The Gollum/Smeagol scenes were hilarious when they talked to each other.

Ok, that's all. Now I have to wait impatiently for next Christmas. It's hard enough to wait one week, let alone one year. *grumble*
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Thu Dec 19, 2002 7:07 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Galkar:
<B>Not to hijack or nothing, but no movie, ever, in all time, will have all of the same details as a book. Ever. A movie can't begin to cover the ground that a book can. So why continuously compare it to the books and say "damn, in the book, he scratched his chin, but in the movie, he scratched his nose, I hate the movie! waaaaaaaa".
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think one of the reasons this is occuring is because of the tremendous job they did in maintaining the integrity of the story (with a few omissions...my poor poor tom bombadil!) with the first movie. So it's elves instead of ents coming to helms deep, ok, a discrepancy, and maybe we should overlook it because movies can't include everything the book has, but it begs the question - WHY were they elves instead of ents?

------------------
·•Kuurg•·
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Thu Dec 19, 2002 7:47 am

why elves instead of ents?

jackson really had no choice when you think about it.

when you read the lord of the rings, most any book, you generally have to fight to stay awake. there is so much bs posturing, singing and poetry. take away all of that and thre really isnt much to the books.

so he had to fill it in. i mean crap about two hours in i was ready to fall asleep.

in the second book, halfway through, you have rohan and aragorn and co. at the gates to isengard. that didnt happen. no way in hell he can have helms deep, then get them to isengard all in the same movie and keep it under three hours AND deal with the frodo storyline.

is it like the book? hell no. and i dont expect the upcoming clive cussler movie to be anything like the badass book it's based on, but the meat will be there: the concept and the basic storyline. when the story is as strong as basically anything cussler writes, or as strong as the underlying story in tolkien's books, it's hard to destroy them no matter how far you depart from the details.

i was, however, expecting an wanting more fights. there still wasnt enough. but that's just me.
Silsaterur
Sojourner

Postby Silsaterur » Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:18 pm

I was really dissapointed by the movie, for all the grandoise fight scenes, action and adventure. It was greatly lacking in that it was unfortunately far from the book.

I don't beleive that Jackson could have helped this much given his 3 hour time frame... as all that happened in the book was the hobbits wander arround, aragorn and company are involved at the battle of Helms Deep and then the hobbits wander around some more... Aragorn and company ride to Isengard and wage war on Sauruman, who cannot defend himself sans army... and the hobbits wander around some more...

So the core ideas are kinda in the movie...

But the treents kinda pissed me off...

And the elves (the single most elite and powerful military force on the planet) getting whiped out in a short lived battle...please.

If you look back to the Silmarilion the quendi in a battle against Morgoth took 20 for every one of thier number, they stood and fought on hills made from their foes corpses...

Gimly, they absolutely butchured his character in having him take a step towards Jar Jar binx from SW:EP1. From the books I remember him being quarelsom and somewhat paranoid, while still totally loyal to aragorn, protective of his freinds, and fearless in the face of certain death.

All I got from him in this movie was jar jar style comic relief with the short jokes etc.

The dragons, omg they a spittig image of Jhon howes artwork in which aragorn fights the witchking.

And where is Shelob?

------------------
Adilmir tells you 'are you a Mumavore?'
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Dec 19, 2002 4:27 pm

all of you people need to realize that elfs are 5 foot tall, 100lbs when soaking wet pansies. they all deserved to die. dwarves are supposed to be funny. halflings . . . well, i don't know what to make of them. they are short and fat and related to munchkins.
Sadric
Sojourner

Postby Sadric » Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:04 pm

the elves at ONE TIME were the elite fighting force, etc. but tolkien *also* makes a point (in these same books everyone keeps quoting and pointing to) that the elves are GREATLY diminished. they are not what they once were. that is half the reason they're leaving! so you can't expect a fairly small band of elves that probably marched for four days straight to be godly fighters.

yes, I think it was kind of dumb that they all apparently died, but from what it looked like to me, they all gave their lives away to let the rohirrim fall back to the halls and protect their own people. and to me, that is something very elven out of the old days.

and gimli? yeah, they may've made him less grumpy and such. but honestly, it's difficult not to laugh at a guy who isn't quite five feet tall, tearing into orcs. I think his comedy was completely in character, and loved it. I was especially happy to see gimli and legolas have their orc-count game, as it really helped to show the bond that has grown between two characters that you (if you hadn't read the books anyways) wouldn't expect to see friends.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:37 pm

btw while the elves did seem to get ripped apart, they did kill a -lot- of orcs before being overrun. In fact they were doing quite well until the outer wall was breached with the explosives.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:39 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Silsaterur:
<B>The dragons, omg they a spittig image of Jhon howes artwork in which aragorn fights the witchking.

They aren't dragons, but unnamed winged beasts. And they look almost exactly like they portrayed in the artwork... I also don't think Aragorn ever fought the witchking, that was Eowyn wasn't it?

About the movie, I liked it, even though it had too many forced "comical relief" moments in it, and even though they cut a lot of corners.

One thing that pisses me off is that 10000 orcs are beaten by several hundreds of men. In every fight Aragorn and everyone else are taking on 20 orcs alone - yeah right. Like when he and Gimli swing around outside the gates during the attack on Helm's Deep... you really think they'd merrily stand there hacking apart 50 orcs twice their size and strength? They'd be so friggin' dead.

Oh well I'm always rooting for the evils.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Dec 19, 2002 6:41 pm

They nanced gloriously.

------------------
- Ragorn
Rondandal tells you 'I take it your goal is to clash?'
Silsaterur
Sojourner

Postby Silsaterur » Thu Dec 19, 2002 7:21 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
all of you people need to realize that elfs are 5 foot tall, 100lbs when soaking wet pansies. they all deserved to die. dwarves are supposed to be funny. halflings . . . well, i don't know what to make of them. they are short and fat and related to munchkins.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually the Noldor(elves of valinor) are almost 7' tall on avg... and Feanor lord of the Noldor, became separated from his number, and fought 10,000 orcs alone his fall came from the score of balrogs that Melkor unleashed on them... and thus the first seige of agband ended. Hell, Elrond is 1/2 Noldor which is why he is larger than his nandor following.

You are thinking of the Moriquendi who follow galadriel... They nance with the best of them...

------------------
Adilmir tells you 'are you a Mumavore?'
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Dec 19, 2002 7:35 pm

elves are pansies that deserved to die.
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Fri Dec 20, 2002 4:34 am

Was very pleased with the movie. Maybe more enjoyable than the first. Overall, I thought they did a really, really good job sticking to the heart of the book. I especially enjoyed how the animated critters were done. Gollum's skin looks real in the close ups. The ents just rock. Loved the nuiances and variety. The wargs were fun too. Unlike others, I enjoyed the dwarf humor and thought it was pulled off well.
All in all, I left with a smile on my face, looking forward to the next adventure. I think I enjoyed the movie much more than the book (whereas they were equivalent for the Fellowship of the Ring).

Regarding the inconsistancies:

1. I don't understand the elves in Helm's Deep thing. They didn't add anything. The battle was pretty much the same: they nearly lost then Gandalf shows up with reinforcements to carry the day. The only point I see is to get some screen time for the elf actors. This could have been left out, because it didn't add anything to the story.

2. Boromir's brother. I was totally shocked and surprised by the kidnapping of the midgits sequence. His bro was supposed to be a good sport, not an ass. This bugged me the most.

3. I really don't understand the point of the Ent's first saying no then changing their minds at the last minute. Its not that I care about the quick change of mind...its that I don't see why they didn't just go with it from the beginning (which is what I vaguely remember from the book).

------------------
Izarek / Raevithar / Fyzzlroo
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:38 am

Awesome movie, one of my favorites now.

I understand it's hard to enjoy a movie based on a book when you thought it should have been done differently. But seriously, so what if the elves weren't supposed to be there? Personally, i'm just happy someone had the balls to try to turn those books into movies.

Would you rather it be that the movies were never made?

[This message has been edited by Gyrx (edited 12-20-2002).]
delmair
Sojourner

Postby delmair » Fri Dec 20, 2002 6:22 am

Liked it, great story, superior to the first.

my only question is, why is it, with all these fantasy movies, the dwarves seem to be the comedians? could they find no other niche for the short, fat, grumpy bastards?

------------------
Delmair Aamoren
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Fri Dec 20, 2002 7:56 am

When the final credits rolled, I was utterly stunned, I just sat there, gaping at the screen,

applauding, with everyone else in the theater,

That was by and far, the most awesome work I have ever seen in film, barring nothing except perhaps the first film. In some ways, the second one was a little better...

So awesome, if you havent seen it, drop whatever your doing, fake a seizure if you have to, and go see it right now.

I am still stunned... that was so awesome

-Gerad

------------------
Auril tells you 'Yes, we're plotting the destruction of all that is holy - and unholy, too. Just to be thorough.'
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Fri Dec 20, 2002 7:55 pm

That movie was better than seeing a goat give Gormal a swift kick in the groin.

Dornax
Jurdex

------------------
The Raven of Wisdom

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
"My Honor is My Life"
muma
Sojourner

Postby muma » Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:42 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gerad:
<B>When the final credits rolled, I was utterly stunned, I just sat there, gaping at the screen,

applauding, with everyone else in the theater,

That was by and far, the most awesome work I have ever seen in film, barring nothing except perhaps the first film. In some ways, the second one was a little better...

So awesome, if you havent seen it, drop whatever your doing, fake a seizure if you have to, and go see it right now.

I am still stunned... that was so awesome

-Gerad

You took the words out of my mouth pretty much Image

Loved it, loved it, loved it......and loved it Image

my problem: the dude i saw it with made comments and this person's head was in my way so i had to lean my head to the right the whole time. tall people suck.

------------------
Leah A. W.
muma
Sojourner

Postby muma » Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:46 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kyos:
<B>
-Surfing legolas. C'mon! Whatta hell... he surfes down a stair on a piece of wood and shoots arrows. Couldn't he have runned instead! How utterly, completely lame.

He was sliding on a metal shield. not a piece of wood.

------------------
Leah A. W.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Sat Dec 21, 2002 2:31 am

i wouldnt go that far, jurdex Image
Dhurn
Sojourner

Postby Dhurn » Sat Dec 21, 2002 2:56 am

I understand we dorfs also make excellent catapult ammunition!

------------------
Kerath
Sojourner

Postby Kerath » Sat Dec 21, 2002 5:43 am

Just saw it today, and overall, I thought it was quite well done, despite the above-mentioned alterations. However, I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed in how it handled a few plot points. There were a couple of things that got glossed over, and even though I recognize the problem of time constraints, it was still a bit of a letdown.

#1: Gandalf's Rebirth.
"Hey guys, I'm back. Yeah, I fought the balrog a bit. It sucked. I won. I'm here now. Let's go kick some ass."

#2: Theoden's Restoration
"You suck because you're under Saruman's spell. Here, I got rid of the spell. Let's go kick some ass."

I just kinda thought it'd be better to spend a bit more time on these, since I thought they were important, and they were covered pretty thoroughly in the novel. Namely, replace all that added crap about Arwen, because it was boring :P

But I must say, even with the semi-drastic plot alteration, the Ents RULED. Treebeard and the Entmoot were great in the book, and I was really worried that they'd make the Ents look cheesy and stupid. They didn't; they were awesome. The attack on Isengard was pure gold. I'd see the movie again just for that scene, seriously.
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Sat Dec 21, 2002 8:58 am

I dont think any movie after a book is about a complete recreation of the book... in the LOTR case, its about being true to the story, which I dont think anyone can really argue very well that it isnt... on a few point, perhaps it was a little off (the biggest one in the first movie being the complete ignoring of tom bombadil, but from my recolection that whole experience makes about zero difference for both character development), if there was a part you were going to leave out, that would have been it for sure.

We're talking about some pretty big and comprehensive novels here. As far as gandalph coming back, he beat the balrog in the books too, something to the effect of "we tusseled in the dark, falling, for how long I can not say", I mean, I thought he came back. I dont remember the elves at helms deep getting pwned, but it was sure cool as hell when galdalph led that charge down the hill!

I could go on and on all night, obviously I loved the movie, and honestly I cant really come up with a single negative thing to say, all the things above werent really negative spots in my mind... I didnt expect the movies to be a word-for-word recreation of the book but,

they are true to the story, and I think in any ganre thats what truly matters.

Go see it, do it now!

-Gerad

------------------
Auril tells you 'Yes, we're plotting the destruction of all that is holy - and unholy, too. Just to be thorough.'
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Sat Dec 21, 2002 9:04 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Silsaterur:
Gimly, they absolutely butchured his character in having him take a step towards Jar Jar binx from SW:EP1. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I will kill you. Dont even dumb Gimli down to that level! He was nothing at all Like jarjar! Jarjar = annoying and not funny. Gimli = In character and kicking ass.

die.

------------------
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sat Dec 21, 2002 12:52 pm

Two favorite scenes: Gandalf falling down the pit while fighting the balrog and the Ents stomping the hell out of the orc defenders in Isenguard. I really liked Gollum by the end of the film, too.

------------------
-Yayaril
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Sat Dec 21, 2002 2:06 pm

Agree, gadalph fighting the balrog was utterly kick ass, so was when legolas jumped onto the moving horse, people applauded that one! My favorite of all I think was gandalph leading the charge down the hill, and the sunlight shines in and blinds the orc, he really kicks some ass in combat!

GO SEE THE MOVIE!

(yes i am fully aware that the thread name and people who havent seen it yet are mutually exclusive, but if theres one thing ive learned in life, its that nobody listens)

------------------
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Dec 21, 2002 2:29 pm

FYI - for the REAL fans:

Long before editting for the movie was complete, Peter Jackson asked on the official LotR website which scene should be cut from the movie. In the end, hands down, most people were willing to give up Tom Bombadil's part in the movie to conserve time.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Sat Dec 21, 2002 2:31 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by delmair:
<B>Liked it, great story, superior to the first.

my only question is, why is it, with all these fantasy movies, the dwarves seem to be the comedians? could they find no other niche for the short, fat, grumpy bastards?

because, in most fantasy, and certainly all of middle-earth, there is no funnier race.

they are short, hairy, foul, smelly, and they like sex with goats.

what isn't there to laugh about?

Postby Guest » Sun Dec 22, 2002 6:14 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by izarek:
1. I don't understand the elves in Helm's Deep thing. They didn't add anything. The battle was pretty much the same: they nearly lost then Gandalf shows up with reinforcements to carry the day. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Completely agree on this point. Cinematically, changing the ents to elves did nothing except piss off fans of the novels. Ok, maybe jackson thought it would be too complicated to get the ents to helm's deep; why can't he just leave it as gandalf shows up with eomas to carry the day?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">2. Boromir's brother. I was totally shocked and surprised by the kidnapping of the midgits sequence. His bro was supposed to be a good sport, not an ass. This bugged me the most.</font>

Me too. I always thought faramir's strongest point in the novel was as a foil to his brother, to show the kind of man boromir could have been if he hadn't been so reckless. Now, maybe we are supposed to believe faramir acts the way he does because the lure of the ring has become so strong, but it still rankles me, because bringing Frodo to Osgillath did nothing cinematically for the story.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">3. I really don't understand the point of the Ent's first saying no then changing their minds at the last minute. Its not that I care about the quick change of mind...its that I don't see why they didn't just go with it from the beginning (which is what I vaguely remember from the book).</font>

this I think I can explain. the whole thrust of the story is that the hobbits, the little people who are always being overlooked, are going to be the race that carries the day. in the novel, merry and pippin do their part simply by convincing treebeard to call the entmoot. for the movie, a more direct approach was used, by having pippin more actively "trick" treebeard into attacking isengard.

my question is -- why the HELL was arwen getting onto a boat to go to the west? I know her role in the novel is somewhat minor, but that is wrong wrong wrong. she is supposed to marry aragorn, become queen of gondor, and give up her place on the boat so that -Frodo- can go into the west. please tell me that they just want us to THINK that she's gone...

------------------
General Counsel
Tiamat, Inc.
Kerath
Sojourner

Postby Kerath » Sun Dec 22, 2002 6:25 am

Oh, and another thing:

WTF was with the door in the side of Helm's Deep? The one that Aragorn and Gimli leapt out of? It wasn't even disguised or hidden or anything; it was just sitting there, out in the middle of the wall. When we saw that, my friends and I couldn't help but laugh. I don't care what kind of door it was, it'd have to be easier to break down than a reinforced gate. Yet, the orcs conveniently ignore it and happily continue to get slaughtered entering the hard way.

Seriously, couldn't they have at least made it so that the door blended in with the rest of the wall, causing it to be somewhat undetectable, like the door to Smaug's lair in the Hobbit?
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Mon Dec 23, 2002 3:47 am

Way too much crying. I hate crying. And all the angelic bright lights. Otherwise, an awesome movie. Loved smeagol.

------------------
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 23, 2002 5:24 am

Faramir, in the book, does NOT try to take Frodo back to Gondor. He is far more noble than his brother, and even though the halflings don't tell him that Boromir tried to take the ring, nor even that the ring is on them, he guesses both. In fact, he doesn't know that it's a 'ring', just 'Isuldur's Bane'.

The screenwriter has determined that all men in the story are weak, and that is a central theme. That's not true in the books, and it's annoying as all hell to me.

Aragorn is probably the most noble man in the books, followed by Faramir. Both of them have had their roles twisted to meet someone else's idea of how the story should go.

------------------

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 23, 2002 5:27 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by D2:
<B> this I think I can explain. the whole thrust of the story is that the hobbits, the little people who are always being overlooked, are going to be the race that carries the day. in the novel, merry and pippin do their part simply by convincing treebeard to call the entmoot. for the movie, a more direct approach was used, by having pippin more actively "trick" treebeard into attacking isengard.

my question is -- why the HELL was arwen getting onto a boat to go to the west? I know her role in the novel is somewhat minor, but that is wrong wrong wrong. she is supposed to marry aragorn, become queen of gondor, and give up her place on the boat so that -Frodo- can go into the west. please tell me that they just want us to THINK that she's gone...

Actually, Aragorn said she was going, but they then showed a scene where she was telling Elrond where he could stick it. He then did a mind job on her, but she did not expressly say she would go, only broke into tears.

I agree, far too much crying.

------------------

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 23, 2002 5:34 am

Gerad, if you want I can list 100 things that htey changed in these movies... I'll give ya a short list of the really annoying ones:

1. Aragorn is an absolute wimp in the movies.
2. Faramir is treacherous, rather than noble.
3. Gimli is a comedian, and is completely unaware what's happened in Moria.
4. Liv Tyler needed a good role, so they changed several facets of the story to give her one. Cutting out Glorfindel entirely irks me, at least.
5. Several things in the books that have nothing to do with Saruman are attributed to him in the movies... things like the mountain turning them back in the first movie.
6. The Nazgul are comical in their incompetence in the first movie.
7. The motivations of virtually every character have been changed in the movies, in most cases unnecessarily, since it wouldn't take any more time to do the real ones.
8. Men, in the books, have weaknesses. They are not the personification of all that is wrong in the world.

Changing my damned signature.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Iyachtu (edited 12-23-2002).]
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Mon Dec 23, 2002 5:36 am

So I just saw it this afternoon. My single problem? why did they give the orcs pikes?! What can stop a calvary charge? pikes! What did the orcs have? pikes! What didn't the pikes do? STOP A CALVARY CHARGE! this makes no sense. Gandalf and the remainder of rohan's riders come pouring over a hill, the orcs set their pikes, and then we see the orc line break. this makes no sense. grrrr.

------------------
·•Kuurg•·

Postby Guest » Mon Dec 23, 2002 5:37 am

Apparently, just modifying a post won't make it use your new sig.

------------------
Iyachtu Decrees 'if (!strcmp(GET_NAME(ch), "Peter Jackson"))
SuddenDeath(ch);'
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Mon Dec 23, 2002 7:01 am

I agree with itchy, they made Faramir do a complete 180. In the book he was the better of the two between him and Boromir, and when he understood the gravity of the situation he turned them loose.

Some other things I didnt like:

1. Aomer wasn't exiled, Rohan was caught unawares because Wormtongue had scattered the armies.

2. Aragorn having the SLIGHTEST glances at Eowyn, he had no interest, maybe a little respect for the fact that she could fight.

3. Aragorn's near death experience at the hands of the warg riders.

4. Legolas' insane machinegun bow and surfing skills, but somehow he can't kill the one orc carrying the olympic torch.

5. The orc carrying the olympic torch.

6. Elves showing up to helms deep, wtf?

7. Ending the movie before the confrontation with Shelob.

Gimli's comedy wasnt THAT bad. The counting of the orcs between he and Legolas was in the book btw. I laughed when he stood up on the wall and couldn't see, that wasn't that bad..the dwarf tossing part could've gone without though.

The emphasis on the relationship between Arwen and Aragorn isnt entirely THAT bad. Tolkein isn't much for romance, and it wasn't a bad idea to put more in than what was in the books. ie: her showing up at the end to marry him. But I think they took it a little over the top.

One thing I absolutely loved was showing a little of the confrontation between Gandalf and the Balrog.. That was badass.

------------------
Ensis Inferni
Bish Enterprises Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Copyright 1999 Fydollaho Productions.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Dec 23, 2002 7:21 am

How exactly is Aragorn a wimp in the movies? He seems to do a lot of killing from what I've seen. Granted, Legolas and Glimli seem more about fancy maneuvers and such, but Aragorn just goes in and things die around him. We rangers don't need to be flashy, we jsut get the job done. Image

------------------
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Mon Dec 23, 2002 9:52 am

Heh, as far as legolas not killing the torch guy goes, he DID hit him with like 3 or 4 arrows, including one halfway into his head...

the guy just wasnt going down!

-g

------------------
Kossuth
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Kossuth » Mon Dec 23, 2002 2:53 pm

Yes, it was different from the book.

No, that didn't make it any less entertaining when taken at face value.

-k

P.S. Dwarf tossing goooood.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”