Getting hacked is bad!

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Zellin
Sojourner

Getting hacked is bad!

Postby Zellin » Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:27 pm

So I'm sick of getting roughly 40-50 hack attempts per hour. I had Norton Internet Protection Antivirus/Firewall, and most of the hackers just went right through it, so I got BlackIce, and that seems to have been effective in stopping the actual hacking, but still getting tons of attempts 24 hours a day. I've tried everything I can think of to make my computer a less noticeable target, and I'm quite sure that many attempts at all hours of the day is not a normal thing.

Anyone have any suggestions?

------------------
Zellin group says 'I'm still here buddy =)'
Zellin has left the group.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:34 pm

If you have cable or dsl, get the Linksys router. The built-in firewall rocks.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Oct 03, 2002 7:35 pm

http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp

The free version works wonders. BlackIce is highly overrated and doesn't stop a lot of things, see zdnet and others for comparisons.
Keran
Sojourner

Postby Keran » Thu Oct 03, 2002 8:05 pm

Since you are talking about firewalls...

Any help on how to get out from behind mine?

See link on mud client. I have not been able to telnet to it, nor open port 9999 at all. Just thought I'd ask here too.

Toarn
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Oct 03, 2002 10:17 pm

how good is tiny personal firewall compared to those?

------------------
[Erevan] Our elite team of gods will be watching for equip campers.... beware...
Erevan OOC: 'One god is specifically assigned to Dartan :P'
Kiaransalee OOC: 'rangers suck'
asamoth
Sojourner

Postby asamoth » Thu Oct 03, 2002 10:22 pm

For personal use zonealarm rocks even more than blackice. Just make sure to move the settings up to high security unless your running some odd server on your computer.

Keran you're kinda stuck. Either ask your it dept to unblock 9999 (they probably will ask why because its not a common port). Or if you've got telnet out (preferably ssh), get some sort of shell account outside that will be able to telnet in. Or you can set up your own accounts but thats more of a pain.

------------------
Asamoth Matsuki - Husband of Liyesha
Red Wizard of Thay
Zulkir of Thay
the Flux - Crimson Sigil
High Wizard Eye Aeternum
Planewalker -=Riders Of Twilight=-
-=Ephemeral=- Darkstorm Rising

Postby Guest » Thu Oct 03, 2002 10:28 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Keran:
<B>Since you are talking about firewalls...

Any help on how to get out from behind mine?

See link on mud client. I have not been able to telnet to it, nor open port 9999 at all. Just thought I'd ask here too.

Toarn</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

you might try what I do to get out from behind ours. open netscape (not IE - this doesn't work with IE) and in the address line type telnet://sojourn3.org:9999 this will open your default telnet program and attempt to connect to the MUD.

since our firewall is so crappy, this works for me. good luck.

--D2

------------------
Kiaransalee : (51) [ just call me beefy ]
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Oct 04, 2002 3:11 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
BlackIce is highly overrated and doesn't stop a lot of things, see zdnet and others for comparisons.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was always wary of any program based upon a Shadowrun construct.

------------------
Daz group-says 'rofl, moritheil is the mcdonald's of death'
Keran
Sojourner

Postby Keran » Fri Oct 04, 2002 4:30 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by D2:
<B> you might try what I do to get out from behind ours. open netscape (not IE - this doesn't work with IE) and in the address line type telnet://sojourn3.org:9999 this will open your default telnet program and attempt to connect to the MUD.

since our firewall is so crappy, this works for me. good luck.

--D2

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just tried this and got power word pwn3d. didn't work. When a company makes $6.2B I guess they put some effort into making sure their independent contractors dont mud. Oh well, I am suckin.

Toarn
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Fri Oct 04, 2002 5:25 pm

You could als try this:

Have a server running sshd (a secure share daemon) with port forwarding enabled.

If port 22 (the default ss port) is blocked, run this on an open port like 80 (http) or 23 (telnet).

Once your secure shell tunnel is established via a client like SecureCRT or Putty (if your platofrm is win32), you establish a port forwaring from the client localhost (any port you specify) to the server going out to sojourn.org 9999.

And if you were (for example) running zmud on the local side, you put in the mud address as localhost 9999, and have that forarded to the sshd server to sojourn3.org.

The beauty of this setup is that you can have 0..n secure tunnels wrapped inside the main secure shell encrypted tunnel, so from the outside it's all one big opaque socket.

------------------
Nokie 'No you don't!! That belongs to me!' Quickfingers
Trewe
Sojourner

Postby Trewe » Fri Oct 04, 2002 7:54 pm

first thing I would do is turn printer and file sharing off.. and if you have ever loaded anything like kazaa, audio galaxy, napster.. err don't..

You tend to stick out like a sore thumb if you have 1 thing shared..

I've spent the last week looking for holes in network security and there is sooo many tools out there that just look for someone with sharing on.

I've actually spent some time in some of your machines Image

lucky I aint mean or I would have changed all your "sends you sprawling" triggers to output "quit;yes" Image

Trewe

------------------
-=CrocHunter=- Northern Star
Zagaz
Sojourner

Postby Zagaz » Fri Oct 04, 2002 7:59 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Trewe:
<B>first thing I would do is turn printer and file sharing off.. .

I've actually spent some time in some of your machines Image

Trewe

Alas I need to have file sharing on so me and my room mate can access stuff on each others computer, and I connect to his computer for cable internet.

Seen anything interesting on anyones machines?

------------------
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.
Trewe
Sojourner

Postby Trewe » Fri Oct 04, 2002 11:43 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zagaz:
<B>
Alas I need to have file sharing on so me and my room mate can access stuff on each others computer, and I connect to his computer for cable internet.

Seen anything interesting on anyones machines?

Well there is nothing you can do about the regular attacks then.. just make sure you don't share anything vital publicly and have your shares passworded..

there are programmes that will capture pings checking for shared ports and ping them back so that they know you know they are looking.. which will make most wannabe hackers run away.. but if someone really wants in, there is nothing you can do about it really.

Even masking your IP wont help as your true IP can still be pinged to check for sharing.

And as for seeing anything interesting..
wouldn't you like to know Image

I have come across things like excel files containing internet banking login's and passwords on computer that had full sharing enabled.. (sure the file was passworded but that took me about 2 minutes to crack)

All this and I have no idea how to hack really Image

Trewe

------------------
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Sat Oct 05, 2002 6:59 pm

Oh gods yes...always password protect your shares. You leave those open and I can hack you right from my dos window.

Kallinar was here.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Oct 05, 2002 8:11 pm

want to not get hacked more? get a mac.

------------------
Gormal Stoneforge -Hammerstrike-

"Forward Mithrilguard!"
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Oct 05, 2002 9:27 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Trewe:
<B>lucky I aint mean or I would have changed all your "sends you sprawling" triggers to output "quit;yes" Image

Trewe

alias quit {say some moron just tired to make me quit}

and make sure you change the default "command character" to something other than # so they can't force you to do a {#unalias quit;quit;y;6;%pw}

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 10-05-2002).]
Trewe
Sojourner

Postby Trewe » Sat Oct 05, 2002 11:47 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gormal:
<B>want to not get hacked more? get a mac.

This is true.. we all know that Mac owners have nothing of value.

Trewe

------------------
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Tue Jan 14, 2003 10:44 pm

Okie, got a question for ya: I've got an Actiontec DSL gateway which I believe is very similar to the standard Linksys router, including a firewall. I also run a (Tiny) personal firewall on my PC. Up til now I've felt like I was double-bagged and relatively safe from most net numbwits.

Now, however, I'm running a MS network behind this gateway, with file and print shares all over the place. To top it off, my roommate practices pretty poor net hygiene, including running Kazaa and other fun p2p programs. Aside from the inevitable viruses from his warez habit, I'm concerned about my potential exposure and risk. Any recommendations?

Mp

------------------
Silsaterur
Sojourner

Postby Silsaterur » Tue Jan 14, 2003 11:32 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mplor:
<B>Okie, got a question for ya: I've got an Actiontec DSL gateway which I believe is very similar to the standard Linksys router, including a firewall. I also run a (Tiny) personal firewall on my PC. Up til now I've felt like I was double-bagged and relatively safe from most net numbwits.

Now, however, I'm running a MS network behind this gateway, with file and print shares all over the place. To top it off, my roommate practices pretty poor net hygiene, including running Kazaa and other fun p2p programs. Aside from the inevitable viruses from his warez habit, I'm concerned about my potential exposure and risk. Any recommendations?

Mp

Switch to win2k pro and disable all non-standard ports...except for 9999 of course(which you will reserve for your mud client). that'll stop them in thier tracks..

------------------
Adilmir tells you 'are you a Mumavore?'
Aedwyn tells you 'Ill do you if you give me plat so I can gamble :)'
Marforp
Sojourner

Postby Marforp » Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:15 am

2 cents...

1) Hey put up the firewall, remove all shares, don't download programs.

2) Realize you still aren't safe. If someone wants to get you they can. Your only defense it not being connected. Firewalls, OSs, exe, etc... all have vulnerabilities. The more you learn about security the more you realize in the end it's all a joke.

For those who don't know how to hack anyone here's your lesson.

1) Scan their putter see what ports are open/what programs are running.
2) Check one of numerous vulnerability sites and try current exploits.
3) Find out the person is doing their job of updating and patching security holes.
4) Kick back and wait. Watch those vulnerability sites and wait for a new vulnerability to open up for the OS/firewall/etc....
5) Beat the person to the punch and attack before they patch.
6) Gloat!

About two years ago some "dangerous" worm attacking a particular vulnerability escaped on to the net. I actually forget the name, but the guy was down in one of our wonderful Gulf nations (Bahamas, Cuba, Puerto Rico, somewhere). Over the next two days people were getting slammed business networks went down, etc.... Researchers latter determined that if a prescan of the internet was done (remember since it was one particular vulnerability that was being exploited a single ping to each IP would have done the job) then a complete infection could have taken place within 2 minutes!

The means are simple. One file containing all the IP addresses to be infected. Each time a computer is infected the file is split in half and then you have two computers working to infect all the computers on the internet not by attacking random IPs, but instead by systematically attacking only IPs that are vulnerable AND not duplicating work. Make sure the first few computers on the list have big bandwidth and your home free.

------------------
Marforp / Sasdor / Kaf / Pofas
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:33 am

Just got zonealarm, and previously i was on a completely unsecured internet connection...

lets see what happens in the next few days :P

G

------------------
Auril tells you 'Yes, we're plotting the destruction of all that is holy - and unholy, too. Just to be thorough.'
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Wed Jan 15, 2003 2:34 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gerad:
<B>Just got zonealarm, and previously i was on a completely unsecured internet connection...

lets see what happens in the next few days :P

G

by the way, how much does zonealarm slow down your computer/net access?

------------------
Auril tells you 'Yes, we're plotting the destruction of all that is holy - and unholy, too. Just to be thorough.'
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Wed Jan 15, 2003 4:18 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dalar:
<B>how good is tiny personal firewall compared to those?

Bump, anyone know?
Marforp
Sojourner

Postby Marforp » Wed Jan 15, 2003 10:13 pm

How good is Tiny Personal Firewall? It depends. If you configure it properly it is better then ZoneAlarm, BlackIce, etc.... If you don't know what you are doing setting up rules etc... it's worse. The new version is a little better then the older ones with having some preconfigured settings for various programs, but the selection is limited and they are now charging for the program. In short: if you know what your doing go with Tiny due to the ability to truely tweak your firewall. If you don't know what your doing go with ZoneAlarm and set to the highest setting.

------------------
Marforp / Sasdor / Kaf / Pofas

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”