Need help with a dog.

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Iaiken Toransier
Sojourner

Need help with a dog.

Postby Iaiken Toransier » Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:46 am

If one of the mud kenelists could help me out I would appreciate it... Looking to train a lab/brenard mix to STOP licking. He licks anything except for the bottoms of my shoes.

And it's just me, as soon as I am home he is at the door waiting... I think he loves me so because I hate him... well not really... I just hate his licking...

So any advice on how to train him while he is still a puppy would be nice.

------------------
Iaiken Toransier,
Morithiel group sez "Iaiken, you gotta be jonny on the spot with the rescues."
You sez "Roger that."
Morithiel has left the group.
Morithiel tells you "Where were ya on that one?"
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:52 am

Go Cop on him w/ the shotgun.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Fri Jan 17, 2003 1:30 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sok:
Go Cop on him w/ the shotgun.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess i'm just sick, because I just busted out laughing.

------------------
-Arilin Nydelahar
...Knowledge is power, and knowledge of life and death brings power over all beings, living and unliving.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:01 am

rub stuff that tastes like crap on the places he licks...like a nasty lotion or something that is non-toxic. Buy an electric dog whistle and carry it with you. Beep him when he starts the undesiered action. With my old dog that liked to chew the door and stuff, we put pepper and pepperspray on the bottome where he liked to chew, he stopped after a day of yelping Image

------------------
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Dartan tells you 'i own so hard sometimes it makes me want to cry'

Nitupopple group-says 'esrel get glorishan off'
Zetey
Sojourner

Postby Zetey » Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:45 am

The best product to use would be something called Granik's bitter apple. It's all natural, made out of Granny Smith apples. You can spray it on things he licks and I doubt he will lick them anymore -- it's pretty nasty stuff. I used it to train my Rott and it worked wonderfully. It's also not quite as harsh as pepper spray -- this will make a dog think twice about licking something, but it won't make them yelp. :P

Zet

------------------
Zetey

Hero -- Crimson Coalition

Ixixalax's pet an ugly prostitute tells you 'me love u long time'
Baikalisan
Sojourner

Postby Baikalisan » Fri Jan 17, 2003 3:38 am

Its ok to love your dog. Just dont LOVE your dog!

Actually the bitter apple does work well, but you dont want to go spraying it all over yourself hehe.. just buy the spritzer and when he goes to lick you spray a little in his face.. he'll stop faster than you can say Beastiality!

------------------
Baikalisan Terrorforge- Valsharess Elg'Caress - Orbdrin D'oloth

Ellana tells you 'i WISH he was the energizer bunny. all i'd need to do is take out the batteries and duckpond him'

Postby Guest » Fri Jan 17, 2003 4:16 am

Give him a spoonful of peanut butter, then enjoy watching him wear himself out for hours licking.

------------------
Azuth God of Wizardry and Majiks
Miax : (51) [ Im totally addicted to the mud again.. ]
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Fri Jan 17, 2003 9:22 am

I won't talk about a friend's roomate we called Peanut Butter....

*shiver*

------------------
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Jan 17, 2003 3:38 pm

If he goes to lick you, blow into his face. They hate that. Eventually he will learn to associate the two, and he will stop. If he doesn't, give him a slap on the nose. Not hard, just a little pop to let you know that you're there(if he yelps after you hit him, you hit him way too hard). The sour apple stuff should work on the other things he licks, but you cant be putting that on your face.

If your not into negative reinforcement cuz your a god damn hippie, then your gonna have to keep some doggie bones by the door. When you come in the house, and he comes to lick you, make him sit. Once he sits, give him the dog treat. If he licks you, dont give it to him. Positive reinforcement takes a bit longer, but its just as effective in the long run, and you dont gotta be mean to poochie.

On a side note, my father often suggests the razor-wire doggie choke collar for situations like this. He may break the rules, but he'll only do it once Image

------------------
Thanuk Pantherclaw

Gargauth responds to your petition with 'whats your point, we hate you'
Slavan
Sojourner

Postby Slavan » Fri Jan 17, 2003 3:43 pm

Do this and you will thank me! Get a water gun and just spray him in the face everytime he licks or does anything that you dont want him to. It worked for my dog after tryin everything .

------------------
Azuth OOC: 'and a pic of Slavan's clutch: priceless'
Malar OOC: '<worn on head> Slavan's black lacy thong, with a huge racing stripe in it'

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”