When you gotta go...

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Corth
Sojourner

When you gotta go...

Postby Corth » Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:04 am

Sad story, but perhaps one of the best headlines of all time:

http://allafrica.com/stories/200301180249.html

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Musi
Sojourner

Postby Musi » Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:42 pm

That's sad, but he also didn't need to pee in the well so everyone else would get AIDS Image The guy even said he contracted it either from his wife or reckless sex Image Do you think this guy got what he deserved?

------------------
Musi "your happy little resser"
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Jan 20, 2003 4:12 pm

I dunno, somehow that quote seems fictional to me. Like something the mob who beat him to death made up after the fact. I mean, he'd _know_ how he got it wouldn't he? It wouldn't be "either reckless sex or from his marriage partner." It would be one or the other...

Honestly, for him to be upset enought about it to do something like that, I'd guess he either got it from his wife or from a blood transfusion or something. If he got it through "reckless sex" he'd be blaming himself more than others. Or at least that's my take...

Of course, none of that excuses his actions...

------------------
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.

"...it was not terribly difficult or scary unless you were a perhaps an adorable kitten and not a seasoned gamer." - Tycho, describing Panzer Dragoon Orta
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Mon Jan 20, 2003 4:44 pm

The main point is that you can't transmit HIV via urine.

------------------
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Jan 20, 2003 4:49 pm

either way it is attempted murder .. he had the intent ...

------------------
Ambar -= Beloved Matron =- Crimson Coalition
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Jan 20, 2003 4:52 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Xisiqomelir:
<B>The main point is that you can't transmit HIV via urine.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You sure? I think just about any bodily fluid carries the virus. Usually the point is that it needs a way into the body, it can't penetrate skin. The reason you couldn't infect anyone by urinating into a well is the virus can't survive long outside of a human, so it dies in the water long before it would reach anybody.

------------------
Every problem in the universe can be solved by finding the right long-haired prettyboy and beating the crap out of him.

"...it was not terribly difficult or scary unless you were a perhaps an adorable kitten and not a seasoned gamer." - Tycho, describing Panzer Dragoon Orta
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:06 pm

The bodily fluids which can transmit HIV are:

-Blood

-Semen

-Vaginal secretions

-Breast milk

HIV is present in trace (untransmittable) quantities in:

-Saliva

-Sweat

-Tears

Urine is a sterile mixture of water, urea, salt and assorted waste products (ketones, protein etc). You cannot contract HIV from an infected person's urine.

Not that it wasn't an unhygenic thing to urinate into the well.

------------------
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:18 pm

His condition is unfortunate, his attitude and actions were reprehensible and deplorable. I believe he had given up on life, and merely didn't want to be alone in his misery/death. It is unfortunate that he made it to the well, and would perhaps have been a kinder fate for him to have died from the beating than to continue to suffer.

------------------
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon Jan 20, 2003 10:21 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Xisiqomelir:
<B>The bodily fluids which can transmit HIV are:

-Blood

-Semen

-Vaginal secretions

-Breast milk

HIV is present in trace (untransmittable) quantities in:

-Saliva

-Sweat

-Tears

Urine is a sterile mixture of water, urea, salt and assorted waste products (ketones, protein etc). You cannot contract HIV from an infected person's urine.

Not that it wasn't an unhygenic thing to urinate into the well.

In men, there is usually an amount of blood in their urine, whether it be small or large. It is very possible that it could have happend. Of coarse I dont think there would be a large enough amount to infect a number of people.

Oh, I cant remember who said something about he should have known who he got it from his wife or reckless sex. This is a definate possibility because how is he to know his wife wasn't cheating on him? So, he could have got it from his wife and not known she was sleeping around on him, and he could have gotten it from the women he was sleeping with on the side because he doesn't know their pasts. Either way, HIV usually has a 6 month incubation period where the normal tests will not pick it up.

------------------
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Dartan tells you 'i own so hard sometimes it makes me want to cry'

Kiaransalee OOC: 'Justin Timberlake will be the next Elvis'
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:04 pm

It is my opinion, as cold as it may be, that on average the african citizens of at least 10 countries there are the most uneducated and most unintellegent people in the world. They make little effort to change this. They also make little effort to change the fact that they have children when they can barely feed themselves or have life terminal diseases. They are a plague to themselves and other countries of the world that take sympathy on them by apathetic choice.

Yeah I'm mean.. Image
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:42 pm

Yeah. I'm not buying the "we were oppressed 100 years ago by the white man so that's why we can't run our countries and continent" deal either. I doubt it's a coincidence that the place became a dump after the western countries left, while they have incredible natural resources. Just look at what happened to S. Africa after they abolished apartheid.

I'll give you 1 guess why I'm opposed to immigration...

cherzra
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Jan 21, 2003 6:52 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kifle:
<B>
In men, there is usually an amount of blood in their urine, whether it be small or large. It is very possible that it could have happend. Of coarse I dont think there would be a large enough amount to infect a number of people.

Oh, I cant remember who said something about he should have known who he got it from his wife or reckless sex. This is a definate possibility because how is he to know his wife wasn't cheating on him? So, he could have got it from his wife and not known she was sleeping around on him, and he could have gotten it from the women he was sleeping with on the side because he doesn't know their pasts. Either way, HIV usually has a 6 month incubation period where the normal tests will not pick it up.

It was me who said that. My point was that if he was sleeping around, he'd know he was sleeping around. He'd reasonably assume he got it from that.

It's just as likely he got it from his wife (which would explain his anger) and then the news reporters added in the "or reckless sex" as propaganda to keep other people from sleeping around. It makes a _lot_ more sense if he got it from his wife, and knew about it, than it does if he was having lots of unprotected sex.

------------------

Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:08 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarvis:
<B>
It makes a _lot_ more sense if he got it from his wife, and knew about it, than it does if he was having lots of unprotected sex.

Ummmm... anyway.

Odds are the whole quote was a botched translation.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:25 pm

*peer Ashiwi* You dislike my interpretation?

Though you are correct, bad translation is just as likely as propaganda. I still don't think he'd be angry enough to do this if he got AIDS by sleeping around. Or, at least, he'd only have himself to blame...

------------------

Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:34 pm

Who's to know what they would do. Their culture is so foreign from ours that anything is possible. Sleeping around? If theirs is a culture where women are considered property like their goats are then he wouldn't feel about it the same way somebody in another country might. It might be more like purchasing bad merchandise. ::shrug:: This is the same country that just recently made the news because the new trend was forcibly raping young children and infants because it was believed that having sex with a virgin would cure AIDS, and instances of that behavior were climbing.

As for the comments about how they deserve what they get... ignorance breeds ignorance. There but for the grace of God/fate/happenstance go I, right? You people think you wouldn't be just as ignorant if you were brought up in his shoes? You might be right, but it's not likely.
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Tue Jan 21, 2003 8:12 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
<B>
I'll give you 1 guess why I'm opposed to immigration...

cherzra</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because you dont want anymore Americans on foreign soil?

Postby Guest » Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:43 am

REEKS like propaganda to me. No documentation, and written in a style no so-called journalist would ever choose. And why not, enflame folks like cherzra, get em hoppin mad and ready to support any kind of extra totalitarian regime that can be imposed on these folks (cherz, seriously, read more about south africa before you start quoting its history. you might even want to GO there, cape town aint all that bad).
No but seriously, stupid ass shit happens in Africa, horrible nasty inhumane shit. But it happens here, too, and you would NEVER see an article like that in an american paper, at least, not about some affluent rich guy making some totally retarded statement based on pure ignorance. (and dont start telling me that there are no stupid rich people). You will instead see it about some poor lady who for some wierd reason will tell national TV that she is on welfare cuz she is too lazy to work. word for word. Why the hell would she say that? Why would anybody bother to report this story on africa? How would they expect you to react? Your probable reaction to both stories is the reason such stories are reported.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:56 am

what the HELL are you talking about?

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”