Iraq: Food for Thought

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.

Iraq: Food for Thought

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:55 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/22/opinion/22FRIE.html
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/01/26/opinion/26FRIE.html

It's a two-part column, so make sure you read both parts. There are some compelling arguments in there.

--D2

------------------
Kiaransalee : (51) [ any idiot can OLC. Hell, Malar can olc. ]
Marforp
Sojourner

Postby Marforp » Tue Jan 28, 2003 1:59 am

Closed minded conservative me does not see the real threat in the second article. If "envelope one" happens then everyone is happy. If "envelope two" happens and we end up with the 'Arab Yugoslavia' I would argue that the U.S. and Europe is still better off then they are today (if you accept that to some degree Sadam is a threat and is willing to support those that will carry out attacks on our countries).

Furthermore, I would argue that the people in Iraq would still be better off in an Arab Yougoslavia. The Kurdish population already runs their own mini-country in Iraq, but are faced with the possibility that Sadam could wipe them off the face of the earth tomorrow. Without Sadam the major threat would be removed. There could be more infighting, but survival would not be in question. As for the rest of the political groups all except the current ruling minority religion would have a greater voice then they have now which, assuming we could keep conflicts to a minimum, would be much more preferable IMHO to their current situation.

The real danger I see in the post war picture is what if the Kurds in Turkey demand independence?

p.s. Why do I keep saying "post war"? It's not as if anyone would argue that Iraq has ever held up their end of the peace accord at the end of Desert Storm. Accordingly, their has never been the end to the last war.

------------------
Marforp / Sasdor / Kaf / Pofas
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Tue Jan 28, 2003 2:13 am

Iraq seems to be the center of a region that is dedicated to harming americans. you know what happens when you cut a living animal's heart out? soon after it stops beating, the animal dies.
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Tue Jan 28, 2003 3:38 pm

Unless its one of those robotic animals with redundant oil pumps, or 'hearts'. If you cut one out, all you would do is make it angry. This is assuming that the robotic animal can display any emotion at all. Sometimes a robot will act like it is displaying an emotion, but all it is really doing is acting out its programing. Unless it's one of those robots who is trying to find its creator. Those homesick robots are really messed up, be careful around them. And even if the robot animal didn't have a redundant 'heart', would it really die? I mean you have to decide if it was alive in the first place. The only way to decide this is to trick one of the robots into revealing itsself awareness by the clever use of a logic trap. Oh and if a robot asks you if it will dream when you turn it off be sure to destroy the eariler version of the robot because it is most surely flawed and will try to kill you.

------------------
Rausrh licks you.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”