Map mode for Sojourn?

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Cazin
Sojourner

Map mode for Sojourn?

Postby Cazin » Sun Mar 25, 2001 9:44 pm

I just want to see what people thinks, do we want to a world map code like duris so its easier to get around?

Because when i played sojourn it took hours to walk to places, took a long time to rest for moves, and then walk again..

I know that most people just don't have time for that and want to get to the action Image

maybe a map code can be put in to make it more enjoyable!
Tinnel
Sojourner

Postby Tinnel » Sun Mar 25, 2001 9:55 pm

*VETO*

T
agreiver
Sojourner

Postby agreiver » Sun Mar 25, 2001 9:56 pm

Personally I like muds better without that map mode. You need to use your brain and remember more where to go. Also exploring is a lot more realistic as you cant see all the surrounding rooms. I remember it was FUN and a CHALLENGE just to find easy place likes SS, BS, IC, etc. It wouldnt have been the same or as fun if I could see the zone where I was headed, 10 rooms beforehand.
Saitcho
Sojourner

Postby Saitcho » Sun Mar 25, 2001 10:40 pm

heya cazin long time no see bro

and let me just put in a "oh HELL no" for the map mode a la duris. damn i HATE that stupid map mode. its a cool idea but not on a mud. it reminds me of playing blade master or angband :P if i wanna play angband i'll play it. if i wanna mud i dont wanna play angband. nuff said
azzixxenae
Sojourner

Postby azzixxenae » Mon Mar 26, 2001 12:07 am

NO.

Ney.

Nein.

Azz
Cazin
Sojourner

Postby Cazin » Mon Mar 26, 2001 12:25 am

ok ok :P
SAITCHO! whats ur email/icq/aim :P
havent talked to ya for a while
Cazin
Sojourner

Postby Cazin » Mon Mar 26, 2001 12:25 am

ok ok :P
SAITCHO! whats ur email/icq/aim :P
havent talked to ya for a while
Zuurn Shatter Skull
Sojourner

Postby Zuurn Shatter Skull » Mon Mar 26, 2001 1:37 am

I thought that the map code on Duris made it a little too easy to get around, I knew my way around in like a day or two. I like the challenge that Sojourn had and will have again.
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Mon Mar 26, 2001 2:09 am

once again....

NO STUPID VMAPS

Ugh.. that stuff is so annoying...

[This message has been edited by Galok Icewolf (edited 03-25-2001).]
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Mon Mar 26, 2001 3:31 am

No vmaps. I hate them with a passion.

Mal
Vazzgo
Sojourner

Postby Vazzgo » Mon Mar 26, 2001 4:02 am

Maps help greatly on pk, while i dislike them on soj they would make pk funier only on those pk areas, they should be toggleable for those who doesn't like them.

[This message has been edited by Vazzgo (edited 03-25-2001).]
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Mar 26, 2001 9:01 am

Never. No offense to those MUDs that do have overhead maps. We decided early on in our development phase that that a map was not something Sojourn would ever have - it's just not the way we prefer to go, and it's not right for our kind of game.

We did, though, decide to do some work on easing travel times and also beef up several of the road zones and add some more while we're at it, to make travel less of a headache.

-- Shevy
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Mon Mar 26, 2001 9:11 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shevarash:
We did, though, decide to do some work on easing travel times and also beef up several of the road zones and add some more while we're at it, to make travel less of a headache.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*cough*gloomhaven ferry*cough*

/Jegzed
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Mar 26, 2001 9:13 am

A vmap takes the fun out of exploration. I know in my travels, I would sometimes come across a twist in the path I hadn't seen before, or an intersection I would note for future exploration. Usually I'd find a fascinating new area and spend hours exploring every crevice and cranny. Then I'd come back to WD all excited and Kildran would be like "wtf were you doing in Arabel, there's nothing there". But I had a blast Image

A vmap clearly and precisely notes the location of all major zones, leaving nothing to the imagination. Finding a new zone is as complicated as seeing a ^ mark that didn't used to be there. *yawn*

- Ragorn
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon Mar 26, 2001 10:32 am

Hellfire and damnation, fire and brimstone!

Vmaps!

Vade retro Satanas!
Kobei
Sojourner

Postby Kobei » Mon Mar 26, 2001 11:45 am

As I'm sure everyone knows I am directionally challanged....at least thats what my wife calls it...I STILL have trouble getting from the inn to the fountain, and even I would hate vmap...shudder...The fun is getting lost and trying not to get killed! Image

Kobei
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Mon Mar 26, 2001 11:46 am

Cherzr.. we have gotten lazy, my friend....
sigh....

I am SO gonna miss chasing the *P* on the map
and finding you, nurz, urkta, cim :P rakka, etc

may have to log on bast on occasion to keep the pkill fever

*Savak tells you in common 'relo in, follow consent .. evils NOWW!!!!'*

*Savak gives you his consent.*

*Savak places his Silence, bleh bleh dagger, into the spine of a Goblin.....
A Goblin is DEAD!!!*

*You get some stone gauntlets from the corpse of Cim.*

*smirk*

-Jenny
Zhadrak/Dharag
Sojourner

Postby Zhadrak/Dharag » Mon Mar 26, 2001 5:57 pm

well, maps works on a PKill mud, cuz traps had been way to easy with only roads.

but it would never fit on sojourn, maps would ruin it. my opinion Image

Zhadrak/Dharag/Goorok/Zemo.. and a few more
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Mon Mar 26, 2001 11:54 pm

i agree Image

lotsa little hidden paths...
santego
Sojourner

Postby santego » Tue Mar 27, 2001 3:24 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jegzed:
<B> *cough*gloomhaven ferry*cough*

/Jegzed
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFL JEGZED! Oh hellz yes, fix the damn ferry (please).... I have a character that is STILL waiting to get from one side to the other....
Liegashia
Sojourner

Postby Liegashia » Tue Mar 27, 2001 4:15 pm

Don't make it TOO easy on us....one of my favorite aspects of sojourn was all the travelling...and learning all the roads...and the fact that the zones were realistically seperated by a decent expanse of road and mini-zones...and not right next to each other
Zuurn Shatter Skull
Sojourner

Postby Zuurn Shatter Skull » Tue Mar 27, 2001 4:29 pm

Exactly what I was thinking, Liegashia.

------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Zuurn Shatter Skull (Troll)(RP) stands here.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Saeven
Sojourner

Postby Saeven » Tue Mar 27, 2001 5:23 pm

There's a difference between laziness and ease. I can understand all your points of view concerning exploration and whatnot. But since you've sketched all the zone matrkers and know where most of the main zones are - that's far from game mastery. The muds mentioned here that do posess maps are PK muds; and though their constituency is the same alphabet that populates your text game as well - they are far from similar.

Nothing stops mapmakers from implementing secret rooms on the map - that would add a degree of challenge that's inequivocable. Try searching on maps in a PK mud for hidden zones - there's an adrenaline rush.

Anyways, I'm not disproving your decision - but perhaps just exposing why other muds might opt for maps.

Battlefields by excellence.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Mar 28, 2001 5:13 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ragorn:
<B>A vmap takes the fun out of exploration. I know in my travels, I would sometimes come across a twist in the path I hadn't seen before, or an intersection I would note for future exploration. Usually I'd find a fascinating new area and spend hours exploring every crevice and cranny. Then I'd come back to WD all excited and Kildran would be like "wtf were you doing in Arabel, there's nothing there". But I had a blast Image

A vmap clearly and precisely notes the location of all major zones, leaving nothing to the imagination. Finding a new zone is as complicated as seeing a ^ mark that didn't used to be there. *yawn*

- Ragorn</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've gotta disagree. First, zone markers don't have to be visible on a vmap. Second, in a road system like Sojourns whenever you see one of those intersections you _know_ it will lead somewhere. That's not exploring, it's following a path that leads you somewhere.

Imagine a zone placed in the middle of a 100 room forest, without a visible zone marker. How long would that take you to find? One day you're cutting through the woods for a shortcut and suddenly find yourself in the Tower of Ashrakk Kull. Not <u>that's</u> exploring. Image

With a roads you'd be walking through a road in the woods, and see a path leading north. So you walk north and end up at the entrance to a tower. *yawn*

Sarvis
Gorets
Sojourner

Postby Gorets » Wed Mar 28, 2001 9:31 pm

No way.
Personally I would forbid anything from Duris to come here. Image
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed Mar 28, 2001 9:38 pm

NO
Marforp
Sojourner

Postby Marforp » Thu Mar 29, 2001 12:18 am

Thanks Sarvis. I was wondering what everyone was talking about when they said "You will see the zone". That is that way on most muds because that's the way they like it. I'm torn both ways...I'm to old and don't mud enough to really want to learn a new mud map system so I love maps on muds that I stop in at. I do feel that roads are better though and since I already know most of the backbone of Sojourn it doesn't matter much to me.

Marforp / Sasdor

p.s. Why we bothering since this is about as likely to come in as PK.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Mar 29, 2001 12:29 am

Sarvis,

That's not exploring, that's finding zones by sheer dumb luck. In order to find a hidden zone in a 10x10 forest, you have to walk through up to 99 unmarked rooms before you find it. When a new zone goes in under a vmap system, either you see it right away, or someone finds it 3 months later by simple blind luck.

I know I found 2 unmarked zones in the Duris underdark by luck. I'd been playing an evil for like 6 months, I happened to take a different route to drst, and I happened to see that even though north was a wall, there was a north exit.

Without a vmap system it's different. You're walking along a path, and a new branch heads east. You take it. You end up at another 3 way intersection, you pick a path and go down it. It branches off again and you pick a path. Any of these paths could lead to a zone you've never been to, or it could lead to another intersection, or it could lead to a dead end. Try walking from the turning point to Zhentil Keep. There's probably close to 20 paths branching off the main road for you to explore. There's BGR, the back way to Dusk Road, Arabel, the Flame Tower, a small village, an inn, an underground river that leads up near Spiderhaunt, and a dozen or so other small areas to play in.

Not a single piece of useful equipment to a 45th level ranger except a neat flagon, but it kept me interested for a week.

- Ragorn

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”