What's your single longest MUD session?

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
namatoki
Sojourner

What\'s your single longest MUD session?

Postby namatoki » Wed Feb 14, 2001 4:04 pm

Okay, playing along the lines of Rhelath's questions and Gindipple's EQ widow post, I'm wondering how many of you actually ever spent 20 hours straight on Soj/Toril?

I think the longest session I sat for was around 8 hours (but I could be wrong). Image

Nizrath
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Wed Feb 14, 2001 4:09 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by namatoki:
Okay, playing along the lines of Rhelath's questions and Gindipple's EQ widow post, I'm wondering how many of you actually ever spent 20 hours straight on Soj/Toril?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm.. if you discount quick visits to the toilet or into the kitchen to grab a pizza from the oven.. then I'd think my best was 48 hours..

/Jegzed
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Wed Feb 14, 2001 4:28 pm

OMG, Jegzed! That's a record in my books! Image

Yeah, afk2p breaks are allowed and bringing food to your MUDing place is okay too. Wow, 48hrs without a sleeping break either?

*hi5 Jegzed* Image

Nizrath

[This message has been edited by namatoki (edited 02-14-2001).]
Faerwynd
Sojourner

Postby Faerwynd » Wed Feb 14, 2001 4:43 pm

I think the longest session in a row for me was 18 hours. However, at one point, I was so enamored with mudding that my weekly schedule looked like this:

Mon-Fri: Wake up at 5pm, Work 6pm-10pm, MUD 10pm-9am (11 hours), Sleep 9am-5pm

Only difference on weekends was I got an extra 4 hours of MUD time cause I didn't have to work. That went on for an entire semester that I took off school.

Thank the gods I went back and finished my degree or I might still be living in that house in Daytona Beach, FL working for UPS and counting the hours till Sojourn 3 comes online.
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Wed Feb 14, 2001 5:46 pm

Summer after college, chillin, got on at 11am, ended up doing IC that evening, we got locked in (no sitter or sitter camped), so we sat in the vault for hours and hours trying different things, hoping an admin shows up. Eventually an immortal transed us out of there but that was 8am. 21hrs straight.

Belleshel Zolach Zals

Sojourn was the only mud where I found myself watching the sun go down, and come back up on more than 1 ocassion. (mudding for 6+ years)
Jenera
Sojourner

Postby Jenera » Wed Feb 14, 2001 5:54 pm

BAH! Weaklings all of you! :P
When my parents went to Korea on vacation for two weeks, I didn't leave the den for 74 hours except for trips to the bathroom
I didn't eat or sleep and my brother brought up water for me now and then :P
I believe i did 2 vault runs, 2 jot runs, and a hell run that time
spent hours twibbling at the fountain
grouped with people, wished them a good night when they went to sleep and was still there wish them a good morning when they logged back on :P
yes i know
im a crackhead
i can never ever do that again
i cant even stay up for 12 hours anymore without falling asleep in my chair :P

Jennie
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Feb 14, 2001 7:25 pm

I had a 3 day weekend so I played from friday when i got home...about 3pm until i had to leave for school on tuesday. I have done lots of 24hour+ sessions as people that knew me can attest to....zoning during prime time with kildran then levelling my alts all night long!
Uggrur
Sojourner

Postby Uggrur » Wed Feb 14, 2001 7:31 pm

Err, I played once or twice for about 60 hours or so. My friend Clartok played 5 days straight one summer, he was verbally interacting with the text near the end of it
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Wed Feb 14, 2001 7:34 pm

I never was big on long stretches of gaming 'cause of my wife and work. However, my wife is going to a two-week long conference in Europe this summer. If soj3 actually gets up before then, I'm planning on gaming for the whole two weeks! Cackle!
Mikar
Sojourner

Postby Mikar » Wed Feb 14, 2001 10:24 pm

Hehe.

If memory serves me correctly, I woke up on a Saturday morning at 9am and mudded straight through until 11am the next day with just bathroom breaks and food breaks in between. That would make 26 hours, yar!

That was just on one occassion. Most of my hardcore sessions were like 8-10 hours.

I do recall though over one Spring break getting in a routine. Wake up at 3PM. Mud until 8PM. Call pizza guy. Order pizza. Mud until 8:30PM. Go get pizza. Then continue mudding until 7 or 8AM. Wake up at 3PM. Repeat.

Hehe.

I could be wrong, but for some reason I think Shabay (old cleric) was infamous for like 30 hour sessions quite often.

-Bob
Bibbe
Sojourner

Postby Bibbe » Wed Feb 14, 2001 10:51 pm

hehe i remember the weekends at the comp.Hall...
they were insane.

Went in on friday night and came out on monday morning, looking like a zombie. One of us even went home in the sleep dreaming about the mud.

He made an eq run with his brother and slaughtered a lot of mobs. He met his dad in the door and asked him if he saved all the pieces of eq in the bags... his father didn't understand shit! Then he went in to lay down on the sofa and continued blabbering about eq and shit in his sleep all night.

Thoose weekends were insane but more or less fun. anyways, i wonder why my gf left me... hmm = )

( i would never go back to that sort of mudding though )
Bregar Blackwolf
Sojourner

Postby Bregar Blackwolf » Wed Feb 14, 2001 11:40 pm

Hey all. I think my longest time I have ever stayed online except for a few bathroom breaks and ordering pizza from Papa Johns online to have it brought to my home was approx 58 hours or so. I got home from work around 6pm on Friday night took a few party favors and played all the way up til Monday morning at 4am where I had to work at 8am. When I got to work my boss was wondering why I was so tired and I made up a lie saying that something occurred in my personal life and I didn't get any sleep. His response was like well go ahead take the day off and come back tomorrow if you want and it will not count against ya. Well how could I argue to this so I left work and got back home around 9am only to log back onto the mud again from 9am until 12am and then finally got some sleep for work in the morning on Tuesday..ROFL

Bregar :)
Elscint
Sojourner

Postby Elscint » Thu Feb 15, 2001 2:07 am

Does falling asleep at your keyboard during Kanthas' Avernus quest count? I mean my roomate came upstairs and woke me up about 15 minutes after I fell asleep! By the way did I ever thank you for that Vurad?
Tlixor
Sojourner

Postby Tlixor » Thu Feb 15, 2001 6:09 am

sitting at UPS waiting to mud sucks. I mentally run through zones in my head and daydream about good eq sets (sad eh?). I think over winter break i had a pretty sick routine...i would wake up at 2, zone, go to work, come home, mud for about 12 hours, rinse, repeat. Btw, UPS SUCKS TO WORK THERE, the only thing keeping me going there every day are the addictive chemicals in the water =)
Gromsharulaz
Sojourner

Postby Gromsharulaz » Thu Feb 15, 2001 8:39 am

*chuckle* Okay after reading some of these I don't feel so bad. My longest time: ptesting snakies - as soon as I was given the go ahead I was racing around Hyssk and dying repeatedly for about about 40 hours straight.

Though I also remember many sleepless nights spent on difficult CR's - "anyone else need a res otherwise I'm crashing"

Gromsharulaz - Bleary eyed derro of the Underdark
Vazzgo
Sojourner

Postby Vazzgo » Thu Feb 15, 2001 8:59 am

Master jegzed, you are the one, im not worthy to be a drow! im not worthy!.... only lasted 37 straight hours (not because i couln't stay awake, but cuz friends logged and there wasn't much ppl to group with). Im sure once our drow brothers are back we will do much better..
Thengil
Sojourner

Postby Thengil » Thu Feb 15, 2001 9:54 am

36 hours. Went to the bathroom twice. I had been playing for like a day when I got invited into the Dragonnia group... Whoa I shoulda passed up on that Image No wait, it was a great experience nonetheless. The funniest part was reading the logs afterwards and realizing just HOW badly we were spanked Image
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Thu Feb 15, 2001 12:42 pm

Hrm. Remember when Sojourn 2 opened? It was on January 1... I believe that was a Friday. From that moment, until about midnight on Sunday you could have found Waelos on the mud. I dunno how many hours that was. That was just xp too! ugh! Then my routine was sleep from about 1-2am until 7 am, get ready for work, get to work at 8am....log on, mud from work until 5. . . cut link, run home (sometimes able to log on before voiding!) Mud until 1-2 AM. That added up to about 18 hours of mudding per day. maybe 16 or 17 if you count bathroom/food breaks. I did that for nearly a whole year. =) Yeah, I liked the game.

Longest single zone? Hrm. probably first manscorpion hive. That was really so much fun. I miss that.

Waelos
therdan
Sojourner

Postby therdan » Thu Feb 15, 2001 2:54 pm

Well it was always more fun to stay awake when yall where getting spanking some where :P
Vylel
Sojourner

Postby Vylel » Thu Feb 15, 2001 3:49 pm

You know, I can't say exactly how many hours in a row... but I remember waking up (bout 4pm, grabbing a bowl of cereal, and then sitting in front of a monitor long enough to start seeing little shadows of mice darting in my peripheral vision, spots on the screen, and I had this horribly aggravating twitch in my eye for a couple of hours...
I think it was close to 20 or so hours not sure though since I don't really keep track of time when I'm on Sojourn...

[This message has been edited by Vylel (edited 02-15-2001).]
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Thu Feb 15, 2001 9:10 pm

once . . . i was working at a library. i was just getting ready to close up for xmas vacation . . . library wouldn't open again for 2 weeks. well, i decided to stay late (hey . . . never knock free t1 time) and get some mudding in. well, i ended up staying the night online . . . only to find that a blizzard had hit that night, and i couldn't leave. well, the only thing that knocked me offline were crashes/boots for the next 6 days. i didn't sleep (I'm a mudder . . . i had a 6-pack of Jolt in the fridge, what else does one need?)

you know that feeling when you just can't stay awake a moment longer, but you do - then your not tired anymore? that came and went many times that week.

btw - whoever mentioned verbally interacting with the mud . . . (confesses to yelling at more than one mobile responsible for my death)

-kwirl/thamas/dazok
Rhelath
Sojourner

Postby Rhelath » Thu Feb 15, 2001 9:45 pm

Uh.. Wait.. You mean I actually stop mudding at some point?
*scratch*

-Rhelath
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Fri Feb 16, 2001 12:24 am

Got *ALL* of you beat. :P

After I got strep-throat (which incidentally turned into mono) in the spring of '96, I was quarantined to my room. Well, because of it and the bu||$h!t school politics, I was unable to get excuse from classes, and I failed out from lack of attendance. After that, no refund for classes or anything, so I figured might as well live it up.

Popped some Vivarin and Mt. Dew (lots of both)....and finally went to sleep 90 hours later....ONLY because my stupid roommate put sleeping pills in my Dew when I went back to my room for a quick smoke (couldn't smoke in the dorm lab). Woke up 22 hours later..LOL.

Needless to say, I don't remember the last 40 hours or so of it all, my roomie said I was delirious from sleep-deprivation...said I kept mumbling to myself that the goddamn lizardmen had to die. *snicker*

Yas
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Feb 16, 2001 8:54 am

The human propensity to brag about idiotic things one has done never ceases to amaze me...

I've had marathon mud sessions as well.. but I also recognize that it was quite a sick thing to do.

So what I want to know is why someone would jeopardize important real life relationships, risk losing a job, and subject himself to sleep deprivation... in order to "chat" with people he will probably never meet, and kill imaginary monsters. Amazing. I guess we must be getting something out of it that we need.
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Fri Feb 16, 2001 8:56 am

After about 52 hours or so after doing manscorps, few other zones and finally doing invasion, I started falling asleep at the keyboard. Invasion wasn't even done, and I was falling alseep. Hooked up some no-doze and kept mudding for another 9 hours before I finally collapsed. I slept for 26 hours after that Image. It was fun.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Fri Feb 16, 2001 2:31 pm

Yes, I have no life, but when I was out of school and out of work I mudded for atleast 4 days before I feel asleep... ofc I was playing 2 muds and everyonce in while would open a 3rd game to play at the same time
WOOHOO NO LIFE!!
Uncle Zold
President of Mudders Annon!
Galzar
Sojourner

Postby Galzar » Sat Feb 17, 2001 9:14 am

well i never really did long sessions, my longest would be like 18 hours or so, but during my realyl addicted days i would mud 10 hours aday every day for over 2 years, weekends was longer since i did not have to work
Koric
Sojourner

Postby Koric » Sat Feb 17, 2001 9:37 am

Egads! Seek help you addicts..
Ionari
Sojourner

Postby Ionari » Wed Mar 28, 2001 5:43 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bregar Blackwolf:
<B>I think my longest time I have ever stayed online except for a few bathroom breaks and ordering pizza from Papa Johns online to have it brought to my home was approx 58 hours or so. I got home from work around 6pm on Friday night took a few party favors and played all the way up til Monday morning at 4am where I had to work at 8am.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A couple of weeks after Alinna was outcasted from all 'goodie' cities, I decided to create her sister, Ionari.

I recall spending an hour or so 'rolling stats' and then proceeded on a marathon session similar to Bregar.

Around the time I left work on a Friday afternoon, I noticed 2-litres coca-cola on sale for two-for-a-dollar at my favourite store. So I bought 10 of them. Took them home, put them in the fridge along with other food I bought, and logged onto my ISP.

Didn't stop mudding until around 6am Monday morning. I lived on coca-cola alone for the caffeine to keep me alive and other 'fast foods' ie microwave to shut my stomach up.

I have no idea of what happend during those 64+ hours except that I had gained a lot of levels and had a terrible headache and was getting tired of people sending me tells like "you still here" .. "You ever sleep?" .. and the gods telling me that I should give it a rest and go outside for a while over and over and over and ov..

Honestly I can affirm that I will not be doing that ever again! (:

Io
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Wed Mar 28, 2001 5:57 pm

Depends... Does taking a break to touch oneself break said marathon? If not, I can probably claim I played for 48 hours straight... Course I had to... You know...

On a more serious note.. 46-48 hours was my top end.. And was when I was homeless and crashing at a friends place, since we were taking turns sleeping... One bed, no couch, so I'd sleep when he was at work, etc. It was a pathetic way to live, and I stayed on too long one time and missed my chance to sleep... Twice. ;p

I can honestly state... I will never, ever, ever, ever, be doing something like that again. I like money now, and now that I know it's green, I keep more of it around...

Heh.

------------------
Mal

PS - As always, opinions contained are my own, and are not intended to offend or upset anyone, but are merely outspoken thoughts from myself. If you have issues with them, bring em up, but keep flaming to emails.
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Wed Mar 28, 2001 6:26 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yasden:
<B>Got *ALL* of you beat. :P

After I got strep-throat (which incidentally turned into mono) in the spring of '96, I was quarantined to my room. Well, because of it and the bu||$h!t school politics, I was unable to get excuse from classes, and I failed out from lack of attendance. After that, no refund for classes or anything, so I figured might as well live it up.

Popped some Vivarin and Mt. Dew (lots of both)....and finally went to sleep 90 hours later....ONLY because my stupid roommate put sleeping pills in my Dew when I went back to my room for a quick smoke (couldn't smoke in the dorm lab). Woke up 22 hours later..LOL.

Needless to say, I don't remember the last 40 hours or so of it all, my roomie said I was delirious from sleep-deprivation...said I kept mumbling to myself that the goddamn lizardmen had to die. *snicker*

Yas</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

jesus i REMEMBER that!!
Zhadrak/Dharag
Sojourner

Postby Zhadrak/Dharag » Wed Mar 28, 2001 6:50 pm

dang remember back on toril, when our whole lab was into toril, gods used to tell us to logg of cuz it was always like 6 of us on nonstop, shift muddin rocks Image

longest steak of muddin should be about 2 days or so, not sure exactly
Tovar
Sojourner

Postby Tovar » Wed Mar 28, 2001 7:11 pm

Sadly, as much RL time as I've squandered to this entity known as Sojourn....I have never even come close to the stints that some of you have achieved....I guess I'm just not dedicated enough *lol* Seriously, I think my longest session was 21 hrs. I logged at 5pm on a Friday, did exp, did SG, astral, and then random tower xp when game crashed. Was going to use that as a good excuse to sleep...but then Jot group asked me to go with them. Was falling asleep at my keyboard before it was all over. Kept waking up and people are poking me and sending me tells "heal me". I suppose the reason I was so tired was that I sat there smoking cigarettes and drinking beer that whole time....*snicker*
Janden
Sojourner

Postby Janden » Wed Mar 28, 2001 9:40 pm

This is the first time I've read this thread and I am in complete shock. Some of you guys amaze me Image

Longest I ever went was probably 16-20 hours or so and that was just 2 or 3 times during crazy tiamat runs that lasted overnight through the morning. On the average day though I probably played a good 8-10 hours. I had a girlfriend throughout my entire time playing Toril so at least for a few hours everyday I would have to stop playing.

I didn't play Sojourn 2 which allowed me to get my life back, and I'm really not sure how much I'll be playing Sojourn 3. I don't have the time or desire to play hardcore these days, and I'm not sure if it is possible to NOT play Sojourn hardcore Image

Guess we'll have to see how addicting it is this time around..
Trogar
Sojourner

Postby Trogar » Thu Mar 29, 2001 4:10 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Janden:
<B>Longest I ever went was probably 16-20 hours or so and that was just 2 or 3 times during crazy tiamat runs that lasted overnight through the morning.

these days, and I'm not sure if it is possible to NOT play Sojourn hardcore Image</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I agree Janden. You took the words out of my mouth, I was just going to say my longest online stint was Tiamat. I remember the first time we did her after the upgrade, I don't remember what happened but nothing was going right :P . That's the worst zone to be in for a long time too, its just sooooooooooooooooooooooo tiring to lead. Organizing people to show up, getting them to stay when things are going poorly, ect... stressfull Image

I also agree with you on how its probably hard to play soj if you arn't playing a lot. It would be neat if we had all our old EQ'd lvl 50s around and could log on and play anytime, but that's not reality hehe.

Ttyl

Tro
Tinnel
Sojourner

Postby Tinnel » Thu Mar 29, 2001 4:18 am

26 Straight ours in Basternae Alpha coming and going in and out of one zone "Fairlocke" it was mega broken and has a ton of quests so we were going in and out finding broke stuff and then going out so they could fix and boot. My wife was out of town for the week and I forgot to feed my dogs for 2 days straight, and almost burned down the house twice forgetting about pizza's in the oven. It was bad.

T
Trogar
Sojourner

Postby Trogar » Thu Mar 29, 2001 4:24 am

Hrm I also remember anohter marathon. We had played a regular 8-10 hour day doing zones. We were nearing the completion of a Jot run around 4am, and Tisron died 1w of Loki. So after the boot we raced up to Jot to grab Tisron 'real quick so we can sleep'. Only invasion had loaded. So that CR delayed our sleep for quite a few hours hehehe.

Generally, I don't think I liked mudding over 8-10 hours. Any long stints we played were usually extrenious circumstances ehhe.

Tro
Marforp
Sojourner

Postby Marforp » Thu Mar 29, 2001 5:56 am

I have another post on this somewhere so I'll just say I survived just short of 72 hours before I crashed. Thank god for DEW!!!! You know the scary thing though was that when I woke up I went straight to the putter to see what was up and play some more (think I did only about 8 hours that time).

Marforp / Sasdor
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Thu Mar 29, 2001 6:02 am

All of you are on methamphetamines! I know its true now. Image But seriously.. I've had quite a few long sessions myself. I'm no stranger to sleep dep...

-Jaz
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Mar 29, 2001 7:16 am

I've mudded for maybe 18 hours straight -10am to 4am-, but I always regretted it. Except that time when I got twilight.

Honestly, I don't believe any of these posts saying "oh I mudded for 60 hrs straight" or "72 hrs with no sleep". It's not possible. Somewhere inbetween there they slept for longer periods.
Lohrandelarien
Sojourner

Postby Lohrandelarien » Thu Mar 29, 2001 6:37 pm

I can tell you my story Image

Some years back, let's say -97/98 I was doing
CC with some guys, i think Joth was leader. About that time we had pay/hour modem connection at my home and that week my father was on vaccation.

SO what do you do when yer're a 16 yrs old mud freak, that ain't aloud spending cash on mud for 10/hrs a day? YOU TAKE THE CHANCE!

I must have been muddin' for like 24hrs before I got into that CC group. So i was pretty tired, i think we got like halfways of zone and then it all turns black.

Some hour laters i wake up, finding myself sleeping on the keyboard with like 100 reconnections allover the screen. I log on fast as hell, and find myself chillin' in the middle of CC (you know that ain't sweet!) Joth and guys where at that time at Ambran so i was lucky! The really sick thing is that i nodoff again, and wakes up with my furious father shaking my shoulder! And I had been sleeping for like another 13 hrs.. Image

baah i like muddin', it's fun! heh

- Lohr
Janden
Sojourner

Postby Janden » Thu Mar 29, 2001 7:52 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Trogar:
<B> Only invasion had loaded. So that CR delayed our sleep for quite a few hours hehehe.

Generally, I don't think I liked mudding over 8-10 hours. Any long stints we played were usually extrenious circumstances ehhe.

Tro</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I specifically remember the Tiamat trip you mentioned above.. I'm not sure whether if it was the longest mudding session I'd ever had, but it was for sure the most tiring. NOTHING went right for us on that trip. We probably lost half the group overnight and most of them returned 6 hours later after a nice sleep to help us finish.

It sure would be nice to have our Toril characters back even if just for a few days. That'd probably be enough to give me my mud fix for quite some time.

I'd kill for a good CC run right about now.. I wonder if we'll ever be big enough to do that again Image

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”