The REAL Solo Class? Please stand up.

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
azzixxenae
Sojourner

The REAL Solo Class? Please stand up.

Postby azzixxenae » Tue Apr 03, 2001 5:15 pm

Just wanted to throw this out for comments.

I haven't been on alpha (a lot) because I'm humping ass to complete my zone, but from what I've seen, all the spell changes are VERY NICE (shaman/necro). The changes to both classes appear to be in the form of "group" supportability and usefulness. Now if you add that to the downgraded pets (spirits/undeads) it seems that there isn't really a "solo" class for sojourn 3. New vision?

My thought is that at least one class should have the solo niche (necro) and should be excluded from the "pet decreased hp" changes.

Anyway, just my thoughts. Oh, heh, i'm definately not anti-social..just something i saw in my limited exposure to alpha-2 and wanted to throw it out for you testers.

Coders/builders....i'm impressed.

Azz

PS: Tanras..if you had to gauge your Alpha solo-ability in a % compared to soj2..what would it be? 30% of the zones? 40%?
vynigumba
Sojourner

Postby vynigumba » Tue Apr 03, 2001 5:36 pm

Do they decrease the hp of undead pets?

not sure that this is going to hurt necromancers a lot. From experience i know that undeads hp do not make a difference (i.e if you are fighting something too big they will die regardless of their hp).

What I am sure is that it will add a LOT of stress in the poor necromancer.. which needs to constantly monitor the fight even more carefully.

from spell descriptions the new spells dont make a difference in a group, maybe the only one being the one that prevents a mob to heal.... but is that going to work aganist this high level magic resistant mobs?
I still believe that an healer or a invoker are far better addon for a group than a necro..

Bottom line.... necro should be a solo class, so do not downgrade them in any way that just makes them more stressful to play.

I wonder if wraiths get any new spells.

bytheway... i believe power stat should affect hp of pets. (high power ==> more hp)

Good solo class prolly is going to be conjurers.
Tanras
Sojourner

Postby Tanras » Tue Apr 03, 2001 5:46 pm

the biggest difference is wraiths no longer cast stone skin. That and they dont use sorc spells which means they are useless vs wraithforms and undead. This has a huge impact on the soloability of the necro class because wraiths die very quickly now.

Tanras
Tanras
Sojourner

Postby Tanras » Tue Apr 03, 2001 5:51 pm

as for the soloability question, what level are you talking about and lich or no lich? Makes a huge difference.

Tanras
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Tue Apr 03, 2001 5:52 pm

On the topic of soloing, I recall that the admins mentioned that plenty of new zones and zonelets had been written which would specifically cater to people who like to do solo xp. Unless these mobs are real wimpy (and thus also very poor xp?), I don't really see this happening (keeping current mob toughness in mind) Image
azzixxenae
Sojourner

Postby azzixxenae » Tue Apr 03, 2001 6:04 pm

Tanras,

Soloability pre-Lich. I assumed that the solo ability of a necro turned lich stayed the same with this incarnation, maybe slightly less.

Azz
vynigumba
Sojourner

Postby vynigumba » Tue Apr 03, 2001 6:11 pm

Wraiths no stoneskin...
means that wraiths cannot tank
means that necromancer at lvl 31-41 can solo as much as 3 mages his class can... NADA..Nothing...
and since wraiths are more than a nuisance in groups than else...

MAJOR DOWNGRADE..

are those ghouls the same of Vamp or something different?
(just looking for something worth the pain of playing a necro ....)
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Tue Apr 03, 2001 11:06 pm

*sigh*

I guess I'm not playing necro unless they give stoneskin back to wraiths. Or better yet, give stoneskin to necros. Oh well, time to think of a different class to play...

Nizrath
Tanras
Sojourner

Postby Tanras » Tue Apr 03, 2001 11:25 pm

ghouls are the same as vamps minus bite.

Tanras
vense
Sojourner

Postby vense » Wed Apr 04, 2001 1:39 am

Shamans were good explorers before, but they couldn't solo for experience nearly as efficiently as they could group for it.

In S3 shamans have more spell firepower. However, they have a weakened spirit totem, and they have no elementals (like druids). The spell doesn't show up in shaman or druid repertoires anymore.
Valeos/Dorac
Sojourner

Postby Valeos/Dorac » Wed Apr 04, 2001 3:07 am

Enchanters were a damn powerful soloign class if you could play them well. Had all the good protection spells and transportation to get anywhere, I personally soloed alot of stuff all i needed was a good stock of healing potions Image
Sszantiel/Morthor
Sojourner

Postby Sszantiel/Morthor » Wed Apr 04, 2001 8:23 am

Taking stoneskin from wraiths will make them such a nuisance since they can't tank. Now what is the point of them? Nobody wants a follower who gobbles exp and steals kills that isn't a player? I personally don't have the time to group all the time so I need the tanking ability of wraiths desperately. Unless the power of my new spells are amazing I'd be hard pressed to get a group if I tried it seems. If this isn't changed or compensated for I guess I'll be forced to play something else.

-Sszantiel
vynigumba
Sojourner

Postby vynigumba » Wed Apr 04, 2001 11:56 am

Some point.

Seems that even after the reshuffling of spells necromancers get 'animate wraith' at lvl 26 and 'animate ghoul' at lvl 31 ..
that is quite confusing to newcomers..

Then with the recent changes mabe was more appropriate to change name wraiths than change the names of vampires.

since seems to be pretty firm that wraiths will just be a replica of the necromancer without any additional spell and without autospell.. (now they will get "auto"-globe at lvl 47 fortyseven!...) I was thinking ... ARE THEY GOING TO OBEJ MORE OFTEN TO THE COMMANDS OF THE MASTER? -read never-. my guess it will be the usual.

Also the fact that vampires (ehm.. ghouls) dont bite anymore is a major downturn.. since it was one of the key factor (probably the major one) why necromancer got in some (few) group.

the major addon for what I see is the spell blackmantle which is a necromancer exclusive. Anyway, it seems to me that even if mob regeneration is better than ever, very few group leaders will count on that spell. I would rather get another cleric or shaman to silence the mob. and also how many fight are going to last more than one round.
this is a spell which maybe worth a lot BUT in very few cases... doubt is worth the time to reach lvl 36 and the slot in a group. (then what is the success of this spell?)

the necromancer power has always been its undeads - if you played a necromancer you know..."to command the undeads is the ultimate power". which I strongly believe. now that is not true anymore. Now undead are just plain vanilla. they suck experience and they are a pain to bring along because they tend to die quickly and they are hard to replace.

I would like to see real wraiths back maybe under another name, and maybe at lvl 41 or 46. Also the removal of corpse lvl limitation will make them more welcome in groups. But that is not going to happen..

Necromancer was a niche class which now is just a mix of others.

Last word.. It was an amazing pain to lvl the necromancer before, the reward was the power to solo some class of high level mobs. Now, I believe it is not worth it.
Ionari
Sojourner

Postby Ionari » Fri Apr 06, 2001 6:14 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by vynigumba:
<B>the necromancer power has always been its undeads - if you played a necromancer you know..."to command the undeads is the ultimate power". which I strongly believe. now that is not true anymore. Now undead are just plain vanilla.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This sums up the entire To Necro or Not Necro debate nicely.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”