Outcasting and Portal Hopping

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Gormal
Sojourner

Outcasting and Portal Hopping

Postby Gormal » Thu Apr 26, 2001 5:27 am

We've seen over the years many incidents where someone hopped a bad portal and fell into an area unfriendly to their race. With the new restrictions is there any way to compensate for this? Seems pretty freaking harsh to be able to possibly farsee in on your corpse and cant get it simply because of justice code.

Yes I understand that portal hopping can be dangerous as if you jump into scorps on accident. Doing even a zone like manscorpions though for a whole corpse of possibly stacked eq is doable. Wandering the streets of Ghore is not realistic, and I always like tha tone of the parts of this MUD was that it was hard to lose your eq.

Personally, I'm okay with it just being another risk, I was just wondering what the staff and players thought about this. especially people like Jhorr!:P comf jhorr

------------------
Gormal FaCtOr!

Gormal Stoneforge
Kildran T'sarith
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Thu Apr 26, 2001 7:00 am

It's doable to CR from a HT without using an outcast.

* Spam naked to corpse, loot and word.

* Spam to corpse, get summoned or portaled out.

* Get a rogue disguised to walk in and loot it.

So whats the problem?

/Jegzed
silvea
Sojourner

Postby silvea » Thu Apr 26, 2001 1:03 pm

hi,

Just my thaughts about it, when you are that level that you can portal, relocate, etc. You should be more then awere of the risks involved. I know for sure I will be in panic when I die and my corpse is in the squid hometown *sniff* But I did know the risks when I casted that spell. If you are lower in level and make use of portals (eg 20+) then it is nothing more then normal that you should be awere of the risk when hanging around with high levels.

Still I hope I can find a thief willing to get that eq for me, or a nice weller for the cr or something.........
agreiver
Sojourner

Postby agreiver » Thu Apr 26, 2001 1:24 pm

Agreed, you should know the deal when you are high enough level. When you jump into a dark portal, you know the risks.
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Thu Apr 26, 2001 3:12 pm

I don't think disguise works that way. I've disguised as a drow, duergar, and orc in waterdeep and had plesant conversations with all the guards.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jegzed:
<B>It's doable to CR from a HT without using an outcast.

* Spam naked to corpse, loot and word.

* Spam to corpse, get summoned or portaled out.

* Get a rogue disguised to walk in and loot it.

So whats the problem?

/Jegzed</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thrand
Sojourner

Postby Thrand » Thu Apr 26, 2001 3:26 pm

Well then its been changed.
Last wipe I as a snake thief disguised
myself as a halfling and walked into
their hometown and looted some smuck who died there.
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Thu Apr 26, 2001 3:49 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Thrand:
<B>Well then its been changed.
Last wipe I as a snake thief disguised
myself as a halfling and walked into
their hometown and looted some smuck who died there.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Alternatively it could be that it hasn't changed, but that it never has flagged you as outcast in a town you aren't OC in.

Maybe it just turns off your OC while you're disguised?
Tanras
Sojourner

Postby Tanras » Thu Apr 26, 2001 4:33 pm

Someone actually told me that evil thieves can disguise to get into goodies towns but not the other way around. Not sure if this has changed or if it was incorrect to begin with, but I know I heard it somewhere in early alpha.

Tanras
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Thu Apr 26, 2001 5:00 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nokie:
<B>
I don't think disguise works that way. I've disguised as a drow, duergar, and orc in waterdeep and had plesant conversations with all the guards.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It works Image
Vlazik cr'ed Cherzra that way in GN last wipe.
Sartorix
Sojourner

Postby Sartorix » Thu Apr 26, 2001 6:49 pm

Speaking of portals and getting killed and stuff, I would like to see mobs walk through PC portals and smack people.
Also caster mobs that aren't guarding treasure or anything should gate to prime every once in a while and get some exp themselves, if you know what I mean.
Come on, demons gotta have fun too, right?
It would be awesome to be sitting at TP as a level 3 invoker and see a gate open right in front of me. I look inside, and what's in there? A balor demon, that's what! He steps onto my plane, beheads me and starts off toward Waterdeep. That would be awesome. Roleplay possibilities, plus just funny shit.

Go ahead and flame me now.

[This message has been edited by Sartorix (edited 04-26-2001).]
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Thu Apr 26, 2001 7:12 pm

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with Sartorix... I'd laugh my ass off if something like that happened. Balor on a mission! Woohoo! That'd be awesome Image
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Apr 27, 2001 3:36 am

Yeah, you'd be laughing your ass off until *your* head started rolling down the street Image

Corth
santego
Sojourner

Postby santego » Fri Apr 27, 2001 12:34 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sartorix:
Speaking of portals and getting killed and stuff, I would like to see mobs walk through PC portals and smack people.[This message has been edited by Sartorix (edited 04-26-2001).]</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude that's an incredible idea. In Fantasy stupid wizards are always opening up portals and having stuff come through and devour the idiot - because he didn't have enough protection. Maybe they could make a spell that "should" be cast BEFORE opening a portal somewhere like hell. This spell would be FRIGGING LONG to cast, to make people opt for being lazy about it and not doing it - increasing their chance to get smacked of course. Unless, of course, they protect themselves with "enchant pentagram" or some such spell...

I'm also going to post this under the Ideas discussion as a new spell

santa/mezheru
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Fri Apr 27, 2001 12:53 pm

Seriously though, it would make things interesting... granted, don't make it a frequent occurance, but it'd make things most interesting and suspenseful... I mean come on, the most fun i've had on this mud were during those unexpected fights with some badass mob with everyone scrambling around. Others might not like it, but they're no fun! Image
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Apr 28, 2001 4:56 pm

I like the idea but it seems a little unfair to some poor newbie whos sitting around wd and suddenly gets smited by some demon that he had nothing to do with bringing there.

I'd suggest that something similar to a shadow has a small percentage of hopping through a portal when a mage casts it. For instance, if your gating fire plane, a small fire elemental comes through thats only aggro to the caster. An enchanter should be able to handle it, and it makes the game more interesting.

Corth
Sartorix
Sojourner

Postby Sartorix » Mon Apr 30, 2001 12:28 am

I'm not saying you'd have to sneak past 3 demons on your way from Waterdeep to TP to kill the cats, but very rarely, it would be kinda cool to just have a demon open a gate in a random location. Hell, prime is so big, most of the time it would be somewhere that no one would ever run into it.
But on the rare occasion that someone did find it, it would be a really fun thing to have to put together a reasonably sized group to go hunt the thing and end it's reign of terror.
Ok, ok... Maybe a balor demon would be a little much, but some other smaller demon, an elemental, or maybe just some mage-gone-postal.
I would like to see more of the surprise element in the mud.
-Rabbits that are really dragons polymorphed.
-Old men that con needle but have their skills mastered and whoop on you
-Little mages that happen to have scrolls of inferno on them (not items you can get, but they just have the power to cast on you, foo!)
-and, I don't know, a swarm of angry squirrels hell-bent on rending the flesh from every living being they happen upon, led by some irate illithid that's pissed off at the world.

I think there should be a penalty for sitting around on the mud doing nothing constructive. And that penalty should be a horrible, horrible death. Preferably by rodents.

Lata

------------------
<font color="#FF0000">D<font color="#0000FF">i<font color="#FF0000">s<font color="#0000FF">c<font color="#FF0000">o <font color="#0000FF">L<font color="#FF0000">e<font color="#0000FF">m<font color="#FF0000">o<font color="#0000FF">n<font color="#FF0000">a<font color="#0000FF">d<font color="#FF0000">e </font></font></font></font></font></font> </font></font></font></font></font></font> </font></font>

[This message has been edited by Sartorix (edited 04-29-2001).]

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”