Player wipes...

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Rahl
Sojourner

Player wipes...

Postby Rahl » Mon Apr 30, 2001 8:43 pm

Okay, I would just like to clarify that I am in no way stating that pwipes are good OR bad here. I just saw the readme while making a character on Sojourn and would like to bring something up. Not sure if it has been asked before but here goes:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Miax:

Sojourn III will Open for full Beta (no pwipes afterwards) </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dont really know quite how to phrase this so bear with me. What would happen If the weapons, armor, and money got into circulation so much that prices were very inflated and money almost meant nothing. What if some of the best Eq from the best zones got so much into Sojourn as a whole that just about everyone had a full set of "lvl 50 eq" ? Just I am asking that if there will be no pwipes, what will happen then?? IF that happens of course.

Have at it. Image

------------------
Rahl -- Defender of Zamiel

[This message has been edited by Rahl (edited 04-30-2001).]
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Mon Apr 30, 2001 8:54 pm

Suggestion:

Create an organization called "The Duckponders Guild". Go around with your excess money, buy all the stuff up that you can and go duckpond it all. j/k

It is an interesting question...

Izzy
Thalen
Sojourner

Postby Thalen » Mon Apr 30, 2001 11:59 pm

I tried to start a debate about this but the idea was rejected by pretty much everyone who posted. Most of the posters felt that theres nothing wrong with a newbie having high level equipment and that eq flooding will never really be a problem.
Rahl
Sojourner

Postby Rahl » Tue May 01, 2001 1:01 am

I just wanted to know what they would do if it happened, I have nothing against a lvl 1 with a great set of EQ, I've been one before. Image

------------------
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Tue May 01, 2001 2:53 am

Seems to me this kind of thing won't happen for at least 2 years. Perhaps you can bring the topic up then and get different opinions.
I have faith in the gods, they've done a fine job so far.

------------------
Gindipple (Gnome) stands here.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue May 01, 2001 5:11 am

You figure that the new zones that go in will probably have usable equipment. Nobody writes a zone with equipment that sucks, nobody would ever go there. So as zones get added, the variety of equipment out there will continue to increase. Plus, we get new players all the time, meaning the player base grows. Yeah, in 3 years I'll probably be able to roll up any class I want and send him on his way fully dressed, but that will probably be the exception and not the rule.

If it becomes a problem, I know certain people who have no problem duck ponding bags full of powerful equipment just because it needs to be done.

- Ragorn
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue May 01, 2001 10:40 am

Well... one thing you could do is make corpses get lost a lot more often. Image Maybe if your group gets spanked doing tia or something she eats all the corpses and no one could get them back. Would be just like a mini-wipe for those fools who went up against her. Image

Sarvis
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Tue May 01, 2001 10:56 am

/sarcasm

Cool! That would make people attempt the zone even more than they already did!

/end sarcasm
Rahl
Sojourner

Postby Rahl » Tue May 01, 2001 2:57 pm

I am not wanting a penalty or anything like that, Sarvis. Tia imho is tough enough. Image

(Never been on a Tiamat raid but I have seen the corpses of previous raids before.)

------------------
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Tue May 01, 2001 3:06 pm

Write new zones full of quests that require the consumption of large amounts of eq from other zones. That's one way to get them out of circulation. Think ice bear boots, on a grander scale.

Izzy
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Tue May 01, 2001 4:53 pm

ROFL! Good idea actually Image Write one that takes green dragonscale armor, 2 skull earrings, kraken leggings, the whole works! That will clear out people's storage when that time arrives, grin.
santego
Sojourner

Postby santego » Tue May 01, 2001 4:59 pm

My idea is to make stores accept trades also, such that if you want to buy a flamberge you'd have to trade 10 flaming stiletto's (which would amount ot a certain value). The store would suddenly be down 1 flamberge, and up exactly ONE flaming stiletto. Now, to make this really take off, high-power items should stay in the stores from boot to boot to tempt folks into trading for them like this. If folks wanna pay cash, then they can pay the 50k, or maybe 5 stilettos, 25k - that kinda thing.
Salenthelor
Sojourner

Postby Salenthelor » Tue May 01, 2001 10:56 pm

Here's an idea. Since there will be quest-on-the-fly. If a large amount of stuff is piling up have one of the quest god's build it to rid a certain type of item. Or better yet like the lich quest where you get that rare chance of........ Crash. hehe Duckponder's Guild I'd like to see that big building with the moat inside hehe
Trogar
Sojourner

Postby Trogar » Wed May 02, 2001 9:57 pm

Well, looking back on the mud, two wipes ago on Toril, ther was a rediculous amount of EQ available to all players.

The EQ itself was very overpowered too, but how else do you put in new zones and make them attractive to do? Each new zone puts in something newer and stronger.

There were very light suggestions of a plat wipe or an EQ wipe, but that never happened. Personally I think it needed a wipe. However, if I had the choice of a pwipe vs an eq wipe, i would choose the eq wipe and atleast have my Level 50 chars so I can play. That was the main deterent for me on Soj2.

However, any type of talk of an eq wipe or plat wipe was just bitterly disputed by the players. But that is a much better alternative to a pwipe.

Tro
Trogar
Sojourner

Postby Trogar » Wed May 02, 2001 10:03 pm

On another point, stable boots would control the flow of EQ. In a dream world, it would be good if the mud rebooted every 48 hours and that way jot doesn't get done 4 times in 2 days.

But I'm a programmer too, so that's just wishfull thinking :-P

Trogar
santego
Sojourner

Postby santego » Thu May 03, 2001 11:56 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Trogar:
<B> On another point, stable boots would control the flow of EQ.
Trogar</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But wouldn't these boots, these so-called "Boots of Stability" be abused? This is what we are trying to avoid. Now you want to go ahead and give them to everyone! I mean, imagine some newbie running around with Boots of Stability - it would be chaos!

So, in summary, I think that Boots of Stability should be downgraded at the very least, and probably left out of the game altogether.

/dev/null
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Thu May 03, 2001 8:10 pm

Another way to do it, as more zones are added and a larger variety of equipment is available, you could start a process whereby older, easier to get eq is slowly downgraded.

Not that you're gonna log on one day and your +4/+4 weapon will be +1/+1 but maybe +4/+3 one month, +3/+3 the next, etc... just a gradual process, as new items are phased in... giving you time to quest/zone for those new items.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu May 03, 2001 8:35 pm

Yuck to that.
Tempus
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Tempus » Thu May 03, 2001 9:32 pm

The phenomenon you are discussing is quaintly referred to by builders as "eq inflation." New builders have to make their items better than existing items or no one will do their zone. Thus with each new zone, old equipment is obviated, and new more powerful equipment is introduced. Either that or identical stat equipment is introduced, but is easier to get. There is currently no cure for this disease once it takes hold, but Cyric has implemented some guidelines for future builders that should help to prevent eq inflation from taking hold. It isn't fool proof, but I don't think there is any perfect solution once the problem has manifested itself.

Tempus
Sekon/Fanil
Sojourner

Postby Sekon/Fanil » Thu May 03, 2001 11:19 pm

True to a point Tempus, There always the Style points associated with EQ. Instead of make a zone with "Better" EQ, make one with EQ that has more style points Image
santego
Sojourner

Postby santego » Fri May 04, 2001 12:01 pm

Also, if you have better outfitted players then the zones become less challenging. Leave the eq strong, but make the mobs protecting it stronger.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”