Email Registration

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
tsaej
Sojourner

Email Registration

Postby tsaej » Sun Mar 18, 2001 5:36 pm

I was wondering if it is going to be possible to register via email for two people sharing the same connection before Mar 26? I was also wondering if there are any more details on how this system will work?

Good Journeys

Tsaej Mallorn
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sun Mar 18, 2001 5:46 pm

Search the egroups posts, miax addressed this to great lengths in multiple posts.

www.egroups.com/list/sos2

There's a search engine for searching posts. Look for multiplaying, share, whatever.

Cherzra "RTFM" Eat Slime
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Mon Mar 19, 2001 12:49 am

Date: Thu Jan 11, 2001 4:49pm
Subject: Same-Ip Registration

A player sent me this question privately, and I thought it
pertinent enough to post to everyone:

At 03:29 PM 1/11/01 +0000, you wrote:
Hi Kris,

I have a problem and I hope you can help me out. My brother and I
are both avid mudders and we are looking forward to returning to
Sojourn 3. However, since we are running from a LAN to DSL, I
believe we will only appear as one IP address. I'm not sure if our
ISP will help us to show we have 2 IPs. My question is will we be
able to play on Sojourn 3 this way? I know that there is an issue of
multiplaying and I totally agree that multiplaying should not be
allowed, but my brother and I would really like to be able to get on
Sojourn and we will do everything we can to follow the rules. I hope
we can work something out. Thanks a lot for your time...

<Player>

Answer:

We intend to solve this problem by allowing players to register with
the staff. By this you will register with something like Email
registration, and well get an 'affidavit'-like promise from you in Email
that you won't multi-play from that address. For those willing to go
through this brief hassle, you will become a registered same-ip user, and
you'll be able to mud from the same IP address. This comes with the
understanding that you will be snooped at times to ensure that your not
abusing this new service, but only for brief periods and only to verify
that your not multi-playing.

I feel this is a reasonable compromise, and will for the most separate
the honest players like yourself from the twinky multi-players, and thus
not penalize the good because of the bad. Image

Kris

=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Kristopher Kortright
kkortright@v...
Manager of NOC Systems Development
Road Runner Customer Operations
Office: 703.345.2476
Pager: 888.716.8907

"That which does not kill us,
makes us stronger..."
Friedrich Nietzsche
tsaej
Sojourner

Postby tsaej » Mon Mar 19, 2001 7:43 pm

Thank you Cherzra and Wobb for your help -hugs-

Tsaej Mallorn

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 19, 2001 11:02 pm

We'll probably end up having a board dedicated to this issue to post addresses on. As Broadband gets more prevelant and home LAN/routers get more popular, we're going to see more and more of this. Gotta love Cablemodems/DSL. Image

Mask
Averyn
Sojourner

Postby Averyn » Mon Mar 19, 2001 11:43 pm

Mask wrote,
Gotta love Cablemodems/DSL.

Amen :]
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Sojourner

Postby Jasix Prowlingwolf » Tue Mar 20, 2001 12:45 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Averyn:
<B>Mask wrote,
Gotta love Cablemodems/DSL.

Amen :]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bah I still have to use a tin can and a bit of string to get to my ISP....

------------------
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Protector of Clan Prowlingwolf
Yarthra
Sojourner

Postby Yarthra » Tue Mar 20, 2001 12:52 am

I was wondering...
when open alpha starts will you be registering everyone? And once registered how hard will it be to switch to a same IP registration?
wondering because we'll be getting our cable line hooked up the 29th Image
so for the first 3 days of open alpha we'll still be on dialups..
thanks for any info Image
Kaakk Onetooth
Sojourner

Postby Kaakk Onetooth » Sun Mar 25, 2001 6:44 pm

Cable Modem users shouldn't have to worry about this problem. I have a Cable Modem hooked up to a Lan at home. My wife and I will be playing Soj3 but all three of the machines at my home have a seperate IP address. DSL and ADSL may work a bit differently.. But my Cable Modem service from RoadRunner won't have the Same IP problem..

Kaakk Onetooth
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sun Mar 25, 2001 7:38 pm

Cable modem users SHOULD be worried about this. Unless you dish out mucho extra dinero, you will only get 1 IP address. It's usually not even allowed to hook the modem up to a LAN, if you do it's considered a 'business network' and you will have to pay accordingly. Thus, they only give you 1 IP address, which is rather normal. If you get this el cheapo connection, that is 1 IP address, you can use IP masquerading or whatever to still covertly connect all your machines to the net.. but they will appear to be the same machine to the outside world (the MUD).
Wargar
Sojourner

Postby Wargar » Sun Mar 25, 2001 7:58 pm

Charter Communications: Allows only 1 cable modem per residence unless specific reasons are cited and met. Extra IP address cost: 10 dollars/month. (I've had 2 IP's on my network for 5 months now and haven't gotten charged the 10 dollars yet Image)

I live in the deep dark boonies of the world (Only city within 150 odd miles that offers cable modem connection) and its that cheap, it shouldn't be too bad elsewhere (in the real real-world!)

Wargar/Sarlend
Yarthra
Sojourner

Postby Yarthra » Sun Mar 25, 2001 9:56 pm

This is what I know about what we're getting... the cable hook-up... that's it..
we buy all the stuff to network our puters. as well as the modem... they're going to hook the cable into the house and we pay X amount each month for being hooked to it..
I have no clue about the rest.. I'm not a computer wizz.. never claimed tobe..
just want to be able to mud legally. :P
I know that us networking them is a.k.a. a LAN.. and going from what I know we're getting with the cable hook-up and reading the quoted question.. well I was trying to find out how hard it was going to be to switch registrations...
here's a question for you guys.. if you get 7 e-mail addy's does that mean you get 7 IP addy's?? okay I admit I'm clueless.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Sun Mar 25, 2001 10:56 pm

Ip addresses and email address have nothing to do with each other. Most cable modem connections will have 1 ip address that all traffic uses, this address usually is not a static address either and changes every week or so when the modem resync's with the provider. If you have SDSL you can probably get extra ip addresses very cheap depending on the provider, ADSL you will be lucky if you can even get a static ip, IDSL usually will come with 1 static ip with no option to get more. This multiple access from 1 ip problem can be a pretty serious problem as more people switch to broadband technologies
Yarthra
Sojourner

Postby Yarthra » Sun Mar 25, 2001 11:10 pm

Thanks Zrax Image
so I do have to worry about the special registration once we get the cable hooked up Image
I thought we would.. now to find out how hard it will be to switch registration addy's and such once we get the cable Image
Frensolith
Sojourner

Postby Frensolith » Sun Mar 25, 2001 11:13 pm

Hmm, Last summer i had a cable from at&t. Only cost us an extra 5 bucks for the 2nd ip.
Not to big of a deal imo.

Frensolith, Elven Warrior
Yarthra
Sojourner

Postby Yarthra » Sun Mar 25, 2001 11:17 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Frensolith:
<B>Hmm, Last summer i had a cable from at&t. Only cost us an extra 5 bucks for the 2nd ip.
Not to big of a deal imo.

Frensolith, Elven Warrior</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hrmm... the paper work we have on it doesn't say anything about extra IP addy's.. this is just too confusing for me.. Image
guess I'll have to wait and see how it all works out.
Kyse
Sojourner

Postby Kyse » Mon Mar 26, 2001 2:08 am

If your working with static IP addresses, you can always just specify a IP address in your ISP's range and they most likly won't notice. But then agin it's quite illegal and you'll most likly get in truble if they do notice.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Mon May 07, 2001 7:22 pm

I was never emailed about soj3 opening btw :P

A friend and myself play from behind a firewall and we show up as the same ip. who do we email to go threw the proccess?
Also, we are unable to connect because of IDENT.. anyway that we can get the server to recognize us? as it is right now it isn't
Thanks.
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Mon May 07, 2001 11:06 pm

This is my only beef with the service we get from Time Warner (roadrunner cable)... I've called every couple of months for the last year, but they still don't have the "business service" they talked about when we got it... oh well.

But hey, as long as my wife and I can mud on Toril, I could really care less. Incidentally, on another mud someone told me there was some kind of ident service you could run on my linux router that would allow others to see the fact it was diff machines... is this possible?
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon May 07, 2001 11:25 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kiloppile:
<B> This is my only beef with the service we get from Time Warner (roadrunner cable)... I've called every couple of months for the last year, but they still don't have the "business service" they talked about when we got it... oh well.

But hey, as long as my wife and I can mud on Toril, I could really care less. Incidentally, on another mud someone told me there was some kind of ident service you could run on my linux router that would allow others to see the fact it was diff machines... is this possible?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes. My router (a linksys) has an option to publish one ip beyond the firewall. This could make it so the server would see the one internal ip and the normal firewall one for a second computer. Other routers probably have things like that as well...

Sarvis
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Tue May 08, 2001 1:06 am

http://freshmeat.net has some identd servers for linux that will work with masqerading.

-Nokie

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kiloppile:
<B> This is my only beef with the service we get from Time Warner (roadrunner cable)... I've called every couple of months for the last year, but they still don't have the "business service" they talked about when we got it... oh well.

But hey, as long as my wife and I can mud on Toril, I could really care less. Incidentally, on another mud someone told me there was some kind of ident service you could run on my linux router that would allow others to see the fact it was diff machines... is this possible?</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Tue May 08, 2001 4:35 am

Well, my concern here is that while it might seem like a solid way to do it, a good admin might know of a way to mask it for a single computer.

Kinda hoping that Miax or one of the gods will chime in on this... perfectly willing to run something on my router to help them identify me as a non-cheater.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”