classes for people with limited time

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Thalen
Sojourner

classes for people with limited time

Postby Thalen » Fri Feb 09, 2001 3:05 am

Basically I'm interested in knowing what classes are good for solo'ing or can get into groups really easily. I remember in soj2 i'd often go through frustrating periods where no one needed me in their group for a long time; by the time i'd finally get a group I wouldn't have much time to do anything with them.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Fri Feb 09, 2001 3:38 am

Clerics and Warriors are the 2 most essential elements of most groups. Groups are always looking for tanks and healers. After level 20 enchanters become very vital as well. The main problem with enchanters is it is hard to get to level 20 since you do very little damage.

If you want a good solo class you can't beat necros. Tough in the beginning but once you get up to wraiths you become almost a 1 man army.
Harthorm
Sojourner

Postby Harthorm » Fri Feb 09, 2001 3:40 am

If you're interested in soloiing, warriors are good for the early levels.

If you don't want to spend alot of time getting eq for higher level damage though, conjurers, shamans, and invokers are usually sought after for groups once you get past lvl 21.

It takes a while if you have to solo a caster high enough for easy grouping. In that case, clerics are not bad soloing (in the early levels anyway) if you can find some decent armor and they're always needed in groups.

Harthorm/Twiblin
azzixxenae
Sojourner

Postby azzixxenae » Fri Feb 09, 2001 3:52 am

Bah,

Necro. If you dont have the time to find a zone group and then worry about having to bail midway through cuz you're short on time, a necro is the way to go. Shamans would be a close 2nd.

I'm getting in the same boat and will prob go evil necro. I can level with evil friends and when *if* I get lich, can also be of benefit to evil groups. There are a lot of goodie RPrs that wouldn't send a well your way, but down under we all get along. I do not believe a goodie necro has that luxury.

Snake baby!

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 09, 2001 4:36 am

Let's see, I had a friend who played a paladin up to level 30 mostly soloing so if you like a warrior class that is an option. Necro, shaman and conjurer would be my first choices.

Rho - POTS Conjurer
Vazzgo
Sojourner

Postby Vazzgo » Fri Feb 09, 2001 6:30 am

All these classes are very good for soloing or getting into groups, but also it's important that you play smart, ppl never forgets if they see someone playing that way, and even if you aren't experienced, they surely will pick you up more often without depending much of the class you choosed.
Bopple
Sojourner

Postby Bopple » Fri Feb 09, 2001 7:24 am

First choice: human conjurer
Second choice: human cleric

Necro is absolutely powerful but it'd take too much time to get powerful pets.
Warrior? Easy at lower lvls, but gradually you will realize you'd need better eq, but you cannot get eqs because of your short playing time.

and why human? human=less CR time

But well...conjie and cleric are not so exciting to play. that's the downside.
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Fri Feb 09, 2001 8:02 am

Conjie not so exciting to play???
Boggle.
You ever play one?
Conjies are loads of fun. You get fwe tells until 21, then you have to start turning ppl down because you're already grouped. When elementals was big (2k wraiths) they were like the heart of the group. Talk about excitement!

My 2 cents.
Gindipple
imp
Sojourner

Postby imp » Thu Feb 15, 2001 1:44 pm

Sad thing sometimes is, if you dont have friends on the mud and arent an experienced mud'er you might end sitting at fountain or trying to solo chicken mobs for most of the time. Few ppl seem to have patiens for new ppl and fewer still for learning newbies. I've seen quite some ppl twibbling around the fountain with nothing to do, thats mainly why I left toril/sojourn.
Well, at last I learned a lot on a smaller mud where playerbase was *cough* so small I got invited and at the time I'd consider myself a lot more skilled than when I played Soj. So I'll give it a shot this time too.

/Imp - the group isnt closed until 15
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Thu Feb 15, 2001 2:06 pm

Whats that closed group thing?

I recall us evils running around with exp groups of everyone who wanted to come.

/Jegzed
Saraish Aderilix
Sojourner

Postby Saraish Aderilix » Thu Feb 15, 2001 2:19 pm

I always liked conjurers as a class... I loved the feeling of fleeing as your 50hp wraith died after a poor outing on BGR... lol. Or trying to predict when the stone would run out. Or casting stone 2 seconds too soon, and getting spanked. I never did huge groups, but I had fun Image
imp
Sojourner

Postby imp » Thu Feb 15, 2001 2:35 pm

Hi Jegzed.

Yes I think I've actually grouped with you once, was a little easier getting along with evils than goodies (contradiction huh?), strange thing imho is that even tho evils are supposed to be for experienced players most of the so called powermud'ers were goodies ....

/Imp
Brugg
Sojourner

Postby Brugg » Thu Feb 15, 2001 4:37 pm

Imp who are you?
Dranth
Sojourner

Postby Dranth » Thu Feb 15, 2001 8:26 pm

There are other class/races besides Barb Warrior?

Dranth Eaglewrath
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Thu Feb 15, 2001 9:07 pm

Back to the original topic of this thread. Many have mentioned good *solo* classes...warrior, necro, conjie, etc. I agree that those are good solo classes. However, I want to bring up something I've learned. I'm someone who often cannot play for long periods of time (lots of game time overall...but in many small chunks) due to work & family. Yeah, you can solo with a warrior and conjie to some degree, but you will have to group from time to time. The thing is, the roles that warriors, conjies, shamen, etc play in groups is often central. "Oh, Sh!t, our conjie/warrior tank has to go to class...looks like we'll be disbanding." Personally, I hate to do that to a group. Thats one big reason why I gravitate towards hitter/dmg classes (monks when we had 'em, rangers, vokers). It's a little harder to get groups, but you aren't critical, so groups are less likely to break up when you have to leave. Anyhow, I just wanted to point out something else to think about when choosing classes as a player who can't play alot.

[This message has been edited by izarek (edited 02-15-2001).]

[This message has been edited by izarek (edited 02-15-2001).]
Blung
Sojourner

Postby Blung » Thu Feb 15, 2001 9:12 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by imp:
<B>Hi Jegzed.

Yes I think I've actually grouped with you once, was a little easier getting along with evils than goodies (contradiction huh?), strange thing imho is that even tho evils are supposed to be for experienced players most of the so called powermud'ers were goodies ....

/Imp</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

does 5 to 1 mean anything to u? 5 goodies to every 1 evil on the mud most of the time. Some evils doesn't mind helping newbie out. Ex: Ossisna, Jegzed, Gromsharulaz just to name a few. Most evils would point to the little asterisk next to each race if u do ask newbie questions. And most important thing to know is the different style of splitting eq between a goodie and evil group. Amend. If u did read all the message board, Can u tell me where is all the bitching, whining, and suggestion come from? After all these years, it still remain the same. Goodies are just goodies. Nothing is "GOOD" enough for them.

[This message has been edited by Blung (edited 02-15-2001).]

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”