Drow Cleric vs. Duergar Clerics

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Kezer
Sojourner

Drow Cleric vs. Duergar Clerics

Postby Kezer » Fri Feb 02, 2001 10:31 pm

Anyone have an opinion on which evil race is better to play as a cleric; Drow or Duergar? Please share your opinion and reasons. Thanks!
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Fri Feb 02, 2001 11:20 pm

Im not to sure but aren't the duergarable to see during the day? That may be a consideration. Kinda nasty if your healer all of the sudden cant see cause the sun comes up)
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Fri Feb 02, 2001 11:25 pm

Actually some really good clerics came out of the rase you left out. Yuan-Ti. Namely Nissmick(sp?) I think Grom was Duergar, Ylarec played a drow one to lvl 40 or so I think.
azzixxenae
Sojourner

Postby azzixxenae » Fri Feb 02, 2001 11:56 pm

Drow- all the innates plus good mem/cast times/can't see during day/low hp
Duergar- Invis innate/can't see during day time/slower than drow mem/cast times/hearty hp
Yuan-ti- Can see during day time/comparable cast/mem times to dooger?/better hp than drow/less eq slots

I guess :P
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Sat Feb 03, 2001 7:35 am

Evils ressing clerics last wipe where.

Syssok - Yuan-ti
Nissimmek - Yuan-ti
Gromsharulaz - Duergar
Zajan - Drow

I guess this indicates that no race were clearly above the others, and its just a matter of tastes.

/Jegzed
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sat Feb 03, 2001 2:01 pm

The yuan ti were rolled before drow came in... I'm pretty sure they would have all gone drow if they would have had that option at the start.
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Sun Feb 04, 2001 3:02 pm

anyone know what the wis notch for trolls, duergar, drow and yuan-ti.

2 thyrms, and that silly head thing? +5_max wis? I know duergar have better wisdom is is important for clerics. *shrug* I know I was annoyed when I needed to wear +max_wis to make my mem times as a barb shaman to make spell pray times bearable. Even though my pray times were still horrible...

P.s. Barbs from soj2 had a wisdom notch at 104 and 112 I belive. Something really close to that. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Sat Jun 16, 2001 9:52 pm

From what I've gathered, there is no such thing as a "wis notch" in the sense of mem times. Unless you're only going to count them at 50th level.

When you get nebbies, the fun thing is to see how they affect your memtime... 1 nebbie "notches me", one doesn't, etc... only thing is, that's different at different levels. (Well nebbies for an int caster, done the same thing with my cleric and tokens/glittering mask)

There's some kinda division by level and int going on, I think. Anyway, only data in terms of notches would have to assume 50th level and a specific circle.

[This message has been edited by Kiloppile (edited 06-16-2001).]
Dakrish
Sojourner

Postby Dakrish » Sun Jun 17, 2001 6:23 am

Actually duergar clerics have very slightly better mem times then drow clerics (2 secs maybe?)
Well then did when i rolled them to compare.
However I could always be wrong.
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Sun Jun 17, 2001 7:13 am

I believe that you are correct, Dakrish. Duergar with perfect wis has 28 - 29 sec for lvl 1 while drow with perfect wis has 30 sec for lvl 1. Personally, I prefer drow since I like drow innates better than duergar innates. Duergar usually have better hps though. As for Yuan-ti, I really don't like playing snakes...
Thrand
Sojourner

Postby Thrand » Sun Jun 17, 2001 2:15 pm

You are all wrong and blah blah blah.
As odd as it is to hear, it is Int
that matters for mem times even for a cleric.

Thrandrieliad has spoken blah blah blah!
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Sun Jun 17, 2001 4:07 pm

The seconds per spell for a druid, shaman, cleric is based mainly on your level, and secondly on your wisdom. Wether you succeed a meditate is based of of intelligence.

Duergar have better wisdom then drows, though drows have better intelligence then duergar. A duergars average time per spell would be lower, but a drow is more likely to shorten his time by meditating. At lower levels wisdom is better. Mid-levels meditate is better. At high levels it is a moot point, them mem almost the same.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sun Jun 17, 2001 7:11 pm

Yes, having played a cleric back since SojournI, it is wisdom that effects pray times. Of course higher levels also make for lower pray times too.

Personally I would go with Duergar over Drow for an evil cleric, due to the higher race widsom and much heartier con and therefore hps.
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Fri Jun 22, 2001 12:50 am

cleric being able to see is biggest factor for me. if i was gonna play a cleric i would be yuan. drow can't save a spank in jot or tf when squid dies. it's hard to lead group being an ultra (squid kinda have a little expection cuz of globe of darkness)
however if u want an easier time u play drow cuz of dk xp. duergar get more hp then due and legs & ears over yuan. but nothing beats being able to see

mem time doesnt' matter cuz u can be done but u still have to wait for ogre shaman to finish their mem, well in larger zones. cleric can't solo. take that back i couldn't solo. but in xp group just dont cast and u wont have to worry about memming and u memming outside room anyways

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”