Clerics and curse

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Xizz
Sojourner

Clerics and curse

Postby Xizz » Tue Jun 19, 2001 3:45 pm

Out of curiousity, how often does curse hit on it's own for a cleric? I chatted with my friend who plays a cleric and he said it's a rare thing for them to use since it rarely hits.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Jun 19, 2001 6:07 pm

Pretty rare for me, especially on high lvl mobs. Apparently high lvl mob spellsave is so good that it makes it damned hard to hit with curse...

Kinda funny, cuz you're casting a spell thats supposed to lower mob spellsave, but they keep resisting it. :P
Xizz
Sojourner

Postby Xizz » Tue Jun 19, 2001 6:19 pm

Right, that's half my point in posting. The changes form shaman hex makes it all the harder since cleric's curse spells don't usually hit from what I'm hearing.
Salenthelor
Sojourner

Postby Salenthelor » Tue Jun 19, 2001 8:29 pm

Ditto was cursing cat's and they went 1 in 10 maybe. Perhaps it is a bit too rare.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Jun 19, 2001 9:37 pm

Xizz: Most of my cleric spells don't hit usually, it isn't just curse. Silence person is a joke, and blindness is luck of the draw.
Saitcho
Sojourner

Postby Saitcho » Tue Jun 19, 2001 11:28 pm

my curses land about 1 in 4 or 1 in 5 at level 42. and im an anti
Dibble
Sojourner

Postby Dibble » Wed Jun 20, 2001 4:02 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rylan:
Xizz: Most of my cleric spells don't hit usually, it isn't just curse. Silence person is a joke, and blindness is luck of the draw.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They probably need to lower the chance to save for curse so it matches hex (hex lands much more regularly, by design of course).
At that point getting other spells to stick will be easier.

Dibble
Uthgar
Staff Member - Coder

Postby Uthgar » Wed Jun 20, 2001 11:57 pm

Hex and curse have equal chance of success. I have seen them work equally in battle circumstances, and I have re-verified they are the same in the code.

Uthgar
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Jun 21, 2001 12:10 pm

Hmm.. here is something I've noticed. I can hit spells a lot easier on cleric mobs than on mage mobs. I'm guessing mages have a better natural spellsave than clerics?
Wargo
Sojourner

Postby Wargo » Thu Jun 28, 2001 5:30 am

Heheh of course hex is easier to land. Hex is spellcast spirit and shamans have specialize spirit. On the other hand, curse is spellcast enchantment. And which smart cleric is going to specialize enchantment now that vitality is a healing spell? Considering that, it is obvious curse is hard to land.

No reason to cast it anyway:
Zone: You are healing tanks
Solo: Curse is in the same circle as harm
Exp: You get more damage exp and healing exp

What's the point anyway?

Wargo/Gwubi/Yssilk
The cleric Xizz talked to =)
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Thu Jun 28, 2001 6:17 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Wargo:
<B>Heheh of course hex is easier to land. Hex is spellcast spirit and shamans have specialize spirit. On the other hand, curse is spellcast enchantment. And which smart cleric is going to specialize enchantment now that vitality is a healing spell? Considering that, it is obvious curse is hard to land.

No reason to cast it anyway:
Zone: You are healing tanks
Solo: Curse is in the same circle as harm
Exp: You get more damage exp and healing exp

What's the point anyway?

Wargo/Gwubi/Yssilk
The cleric Xizz talked to =)</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. From what I've been told, your skill in the spellcast doesn't have any effect on the mob saving.

2. If you cast curse first (at 30+level, below that doesn't seem to do much) you will do more damage with your other spells due to reduced saving throws. Hence more damage for solo and exp.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Jun 28, 2001 12:31 pm

True, but the duration of curse is so short that you're lucky if it lasts through 1/3 of the fight. One of the Imms mentioned that its duration is similar to that of Hex and Blur, but it still seems a lot shorter.
Not like we have any good damage spells now anyway, but thats a differant story.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”