Invasions

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Invasions

Postby Cyric » Tue Jun 05, 2001 6:50 pm

I have been running invasions for years now, and was wondering if people had suggestions on how to implement them better. Here is what I've done in the past, with things I noticed each time:

1. Spur of the moment load of hundreds of mobs near a town with a couple of global echos like "Helps us! A horde of orcs has been spotted east of Waterdeep!" This serves as a quick and extremely easy way for me to invade something. The players that are experienced in invasions and can survive are the ones that show up, they cause tremendous carnage, never die, and seem to have lots of fun, and newbies are spared accidental deaths.

2. Loading groups of mobs throughout a town in clusters of 10, and letting them wander around, basically filling the city with aggros. Again announce the invasion with a global echo, giving players a chance to prepare or rent. This gives only those with access to the town a chance to play (although BG and Calimport have worked well for everyone), and risks newbies that are wandering around cluelessly. Everytime I've done this I've received bigtime criticism from newbies that have been nuked to dust, and have received praise from experienced players that enjoyed the realism of running through town clearing the area of baddies.

3. Announce the invasion a week ahead of time, sometimes with global echos, sometimes with posts, sometimes through bards (my favorite), and then start it at a preset time and slowly load mobs at present parts of town, letting them wander as if invading. This takes the most effort on my part, and each time I did this nobody seemed to pay attention or have any clue what was going on until the invasion started, and then again I got the complaints listed above. I was particularly disappointed with the bards' ability to 'spread the word' throughout the mud, which I thought would give them a chance to RP...go figure.

4. No announcement bigtime invasion of a town...loading tons of mobs all over a city and seeing what happens. By the time enough people show up to take part, some high leveled player has singlehandedly killed all the mobs, and a bunch of newbies get killed and are pissed off.

Now in general all mobs loading during an invasion are leveled 1-5 (although I'll throw in leaders now and then), they're aggro, and they wander, but do not hunt. On average I load about 500 mobs during the entire thing, at the end targetting specific high leveled players/groups that seem to be having the most fun, and I've gone up to 1000 mobs at a time.

Comments? Do you guys enjoy these? Am I wasting my time? Would you rather spend your time hunting for equipment?
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Tue Jun 05, 2001 7:19 pm

I rather hunt for EQ.

Sojourn3 = Power Mud!

*cackle*

Ilshad (Taunts cyric and wonders if anyone has seen her swamp thing)

A small blue smurf stands here sniffing a flower. (Gold Aura)
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Jun 05, 2001 7:26 pm

I think invasions are damned cool.. spices things up a bit, and is a nice change from the usual routine of running for eq and then exping. Image
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Tue Jun 05, 2001 7:35 pm

Just need more invasions in evil hometowns at european primetime!

/Jegzed
Kelsiria
Sojourner

Postby Kelsiria » Tue Jun 05, 2001 7:39 pm

I will still always remember logging into the mud one day and finding all of Waterdeep char-broiled. That was a trip!

I do remember, when I was an actual newbie and there was an invasion in waterdeep. I don't remember what kind of mobs they were, but I remember dead bodies everywhere! I had asked someone what was happening and they said, Its an invasion! I high tailed it to the inn! Heh.

I do like idea 1 and 2. The element of surprise is always interesting, to see how well everyone can work together to rid the city of the offending creatures.

Kelsi

------------------
Man has eyes, yet does not see. Man has ears, yet does not hear.
~ King David
Ssarra
Sojourner

Postby Ssarra » Tue Jun 05, 2001 7:57 pm

Bah, in any novel you read, when a town is invaded, who are the quickest to die? The women and children! Unless your Xena or me, so hey, all you newbies, bah, quit yer bitchin. I've never been in an invasion, but lord, i'm dying to be in one!
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Tue Jun 05, 2001 7:59 pm

I say that anything that allows staff non-specific (i.e. not geared towards a particular player) interaction with players is good for the mud. I'm a big fan of the god-run quests and hope to participate in more of them (I've been in 2 so far). BTW, I think a board chonicling (i'm sure that's spelt wrong :P ) these would be great.

Invasions are another way to do this. While I understand why these would cause a newbie to get upset, I have to say tuff cookies. Its a game. You dont lose anything by dying in your hometown (except exp). Another thing you could do is make it so that deaths to invasion mobs dont cause exp loss. Then there is nothing to complain about. Those who get really pissed off just need to grow up. What if they dont understand what's goin on. Well, this is how they'll learn. You can have some zone echos warning of an invasion and use a town crier to be more explicit, I suppose. No warning would be bad imho.

You peeps up there (i.e. staff) have put alot of work into soj3 and I appreciate all the extra touches youve added this time around. You deserve to get to wipe us all out with an invasion or two once in awhile :P

Keep up the good work.

Izzy
Galorion
Sojourner

Postby Galorion » Tue Jun 05, 2001 8:00 pm

Personally, I've never happened to be on for one of these invasions, but they do sound fun Image.

It sounds like the biggest problem is achieving a balance between the experienced people having fun and the newbies not being waxed.

A fix to #3 would be to set up the shopkeepers/bankers/bartenders/guards in town to talk about the invasions ahead of time. That way, you maximize the number of people that hear about the invasion. This may be too much coding effort though.

One possible fix for the newbies getting killed problem: Dream up some sort of scenario where the newbies can be pulled inside of safe rooms by NPCs - kind of like what would happen in a town where the people hide the children from danger.

Have the NPCs warn them about what's going on, and let them leave if they choose to. This way, they're spared from being killed at random but they're not stuck in a room if they want to risk their life.
Izhaz
Sojourner

Postby Izhaz » Tue Jun 05, 2001 8:40 pm

Yeah im right up there with Jeg..where the hell are the evil side invasions? All the invasions I have seen so far have been near WD both times....hard to say if they are cool or not since I have yet to be a part of one on the evil side.

- Izhaz
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Tue Jun 05, 2001 8:49 pm

Another suggestion concerning invasions and god-run quests: Try to vary the time they occur a little bit. Not everyone can mud at prime-time EST. I'd like to see more in the morning and early afternoon.

Izzy
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Tue Jun 05, 2001 8:59 pm

I would love to see some of the larger mobs involved in the raids, demons invading from UM Image..multiple groups pulled together to coordinate attacks. Perhaps as a reward a title of 'Defender of insert_town_name' in neat ansi, something that is worth treking to the town Image. Prestige was another good idea, you gain a few prestige pts per mob slayed.
Belle
imp
Sojourner

Postby imp » Tue Jun 05, 2001 9:34 pm

agree Jegzed

... and I take my hat off for Cyric and other s3 admins caring bout ALL players, I'm not really used to that yet ;)

...finally some admins who figured out that todays newbies might be tomorrow's main core of the playerbase.

/Bogra
Nikelon
Sojourner

Postby Nikelon » Tue Jun 05, 2001 9:34 pm

I personally have only been in one or two invasions that I can remember (one of them a town invasion (#2)), but I really enjoyed them both and thought they made for an awesome gaming experience. Image

------------------
"Only one thing I know and that is that I know nothing." -Socrates
Kezer
Sojourner

Postby Kezer » Tue Jun 05, 2001 9:50 pm

All options sound good. Though I would have to agree that having smaller numbers of really high level agro mobs are much better than a ton of cheezy low level mobs. I would time this though. I would make the level of invasion mobs you put in at a comparable level to the level of your player base. You would toast everyone right now if you decided to put in a couple of level 50+ roaming agros in the a hometown. Also I would rather have exp loss be counted for in invasions. Where is the thrill if you have no risk. Newbies should just learn how to run and hide there's a lot of fun in that too. =)

As for people saying that there are more WD invasions than evil town invasions I'm not sure about that. The best invasion that I've been in was the one where paladins invaded the duergar settlement outside of GH. That was an excellent invasion where a small band of extremely agro high level paladins started chopping down any evil race PC in site.

[This message has been edited by Kezer (edited 06-05-2001).]
Wargar
Sojourner

Postby Wargar » Tue Jun 05, 2001 10:08 pm

Githyanki Invasion of Waterdeep - High level mobs, I think the entire mud enjoyed that one (including any newbies who died).. I'm positive the high levelers had more fun than fighting a hoard of 5th level mobs.

Give the newbies warning (town crier + bards (pc and npc loads) + RP globals etc, and let them get out of Dodge if they don't like it :P.
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Tue Jun 05, 2001 11:14 pm

Cyric, were you the one who loaded that badass dragon that invaded BG like on Toril? That was pretty damn cool. I died like 3 times. They had gates to BG and people would just go die repeatedly. It was fun.

Oh. I think 1 and 2 are best. Whatever is easiest on you.

Jurdex
Dornax
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Jun 05, 2001 11:35 pm

I'm going to have to vote for 1 where the mobs actually walk into the town. I always thought it was sort of silly when people would start shouting about an invasion, and from out of nowhere shoots a band of orcs in the middle of town.

Yayaril
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Tue Jun 05, 2001 11:41 pm

A big, blinking, neon sign in the Inn warning of the invasion, and suggesting not logging in unless you are prepared to face it.

Very specific emotes to the targetted zone, saying, 'Get out if you are a newbie cuz there are orcs on the way!' Something more than just 'Alarm bells ring!'.

Public notification that all pcorpses in the targetted zone will be embalmed, and can be retrieved anytime within 24hrs. Most of the newbie disaster is that they die once, then go back again and again to get their hard-earned equipment, and wind up losing 5 levels and lots of permanent hitpoints, and often never retrieve their gear.

Some kind of compelling and progressive storyline . . . for me, just loading a zillion low level mobs is not really interesting. I'm sure it is great the way it is for players who haven't seen them before or who revel in mindless slaughter of beasts that are no match for them. Unique loot at the end of the story for those who fight it down ('A ring of the goblin chieftains' +4cha) or something. Some token reason for doing it.
Orvik
Sojourner

Postby Orvik » Wed Jun 06, 2001 12:10 am

Any newbie under lvl 4 can just recall now.

I'd be interested in seeing something like 2 expanded on.
a) create a room w/ exits to the town with OLC
b) load in non-aggr mobs first
maybe not just orcs but also peasants
set the lvl 1 peasants to kill the orcs
this'll make a load of corpses Image
c) a few mins later load small aggr mobs
d) let the invasion begin w/ larger and more powerful groups

also how about invasions in places like
-trail to BS, orcs from SS
-calim desert, drow from Mir heading to CP
-Undead Farms, undead heading to BG
-Troll Hills, paladins heading towards Ghore
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Wed Jun 06, 2001 12:14 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Mplor:
<B>
Very specific emotes to the targetted zone, saying, 'Get out if you are a newbie cuz there are orcs on the way!' Something more than just 'Alarm bells ring!'.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree the 'alarm bells ring' thing is just unclear and its understandable why it would confuse a newbie. Whatever ya use tho, try to keep in the RP spirit :P

Izzy
Podar Brightwolf
Sojourner

Postby Podar Brightwolf » Wed Jun 06, 2001 12:38 am

I've participated in a few spur-of-the-moment invasions (and had a corpse accidentally nuked once Image) and I have to say that they were the funnest. I will agree that occasional high level invasions would be fun also as long as newbies were considered. Whatever is eventually decided, I'm sure it'll all be just as fun for all.
KUDOS to Cyric and the other imms involved in invasions. I love them.

Podar
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Wed Jun 06, 2001 2:14 am

actually..the first invasion i saw or heard of on the mud was in DK...i walked around and killed a bunch of cake mobs..i'll admit..it was fun..but kind of pointless....maybe if one of them had an item or some cash...like 20 plat..nothing spanky just something...

like a
(worn on body) A T-Shirt reading "I was in DK Invasion and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt!"

nod self
Lolok Frozencrow
Sojourner

Postby Lolok Frozencrow » Wed Jun 06, 2001 5:47 am

My thoughts on invasion are.

1. If you are invading WD or goodie town , invite the PC evils, and visa versa.this gives both good and evil something to do during a invasion , and is great for RP.
ie...If you are invading WD then tell the evils "we are invading WD anyone interested meet at the turning point east of wd"

2. load all the little mobs in front a couple rooms and behind a couple rooms, then load some bigger guys in the middle,and aggro only evil/good to the town yer invading.

3.You will have to get rid of the town guards so that the evil PC/good PC can get into the town, then march yer army into the town then let them wander and spred out ,

4. Make it a quest for the evil/goodies to protect as many of the local folk as they can from the evil/good. if the hometown PC kill all the NPC before the invading PC can take out the local mobs ie, lord P, and the fool that flips and says "ha", then they win and visa versa.

5 If the hometown PC's successfully kill all the NPC invaders, then load all the guards back , real quick, "giggle"

The most fun would be seeing posts on the WD boards from the evilPC chars, and the carnage from both sides, the evils going after the goodies, now that would be fun .

take a little or alot or none of this as you like , these just my ideas.

Pimnn/lolok
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Wed Jun 06, 2001 11:26 am

Cyric,

The invasions of which you speak are absolutely insane fun!

Every time I have run into such an event, it has been awesome.

Global RP warnings are imperative, and I think it's much better if the mobs appear out of town and walk in.

Having all of them lvl 1-5 is great, and us warriors love tanking 50 of them.

But also I think it's fun to have a few higher lvl (10-20) "leader" mobs, perhaps with shouts by them saying "To me, my elite guards, storm the gate!" or something. (like a lvl 20 leader caster shaman with several lvl 10 guards or something).

Asking player bards to RP tell of the impending attack a little while beforehand is an excellent idea! I fail to understand why some of them did not embrace your idea when you asked them, and I have never heard such bards reports.

Perhaps make them invade in several waves of attack over an hour or something, to give those that hear about it, but cannot get there soon, a chance to get in on the fun.

Have a couple of lvl 50 aggro shielded caster global tracker mobs at hand ready to reloc to Kildran when he starts to just take out too many groups of the little mobs by running around real fast, and sweeping them with holy word.. Image

Can't wait to see more invasions!

On with the hunt...

Mogr.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Jun 06, 2001 3:01 pm

Perhaps you can actually give the mobs a 'target', or a set of actions they will do. Or some of them anyway. Let's say that half an hour into an invasion of orcs into WD, a band of 10 'elite orc guards' and the orc leader (around lvl 20) enter town, with the specific goal of killing for example Lord Piergon. They could track him, instead of randomly walking around like the other invasion mobs. When they enter town, the leader could shout "with me to that bastard Piergon my comrades, this town will be ours!" so that people know realize something new is happening. If the leader arrives at Piergon without being stopped by players, he could kill him (even tho he's only lvl 20 or so) and shout "we have him!" etcetera, at which point people know where to go then, etc, etc. You could have perhaps 4 bands doing different stuff, shouting what they are about to do, just did, etc. Might add to the atmosphere and give people a little more interaction Image

Cherzra never been in an invasion.
Xizz
Sojourner

Postby Xizz » Wed Jun 06, 2001 3:30 pm

Put a door in the inns of the hometown that leads out, allow the innkeeper to be able to speak in that room and let them tell the new people who come in that there is an invasion going on when they enter, make it so that the door automatically closes after the person leaves the room. This is to help those who don't know about the invasion so they don't just wander into town unaware. For those that go link dead in town, tuff luck :P

More interesting stuff to do would be to have mobs in specific zones or maybe even zone spam that pass word about such invasions in advance. Stuff like people in goblin caves could hear "You hear some faint murmurs passing through the halls about a plan to invade waterdeep in a few days."
Rethan
Sojourner

Postby Rethan » Thu Jun 07, 2001 10:44 am

Personally i think there should be some rewards in this too.....
Some decend and cool eq on the leaders or something similar. Invasions rock!
silvea
Sojourner

Postby silvea » Thu Jun 07, 2001 11:21 am

I agre on cherzra on this one (yes its true!) the mobs should have targets atleast the higher level ones and not agro. Like a level 30+ orc party going to kill lord Pierson, slow tracking to him. And the party being strong enough to take him out. Should Pierson be killed then something nasty happens to the city? like all shops buy for half price and sell for double becouse of crissis?

But I also agre on the newbie slaughters, no need for that, its not cool. Mybe by making all invasion mobs check on level of the target and if the target is below level 5, none agro to the player? Its not that hard to code and all invasion mobs are only form a small number of mobs. It would be also nice to remove the guards in town (being killed?) so at the same time the player evils can invade town? Would be fun to see a few drows and trolls wandering the streets of WD. Or some goodies killing stuff in Faang.

The only thing I miss are the warnings about god-run quests I never seen them except 1 invasion by excident (last half hour, the after cleaning). I would have loved to help/play on them but if they are not anounced its hardly doable to join in. Also more god-run quests on europe time would be nice.......

Silvea
Xyd
Sojourner

Postby Xyd » Thu Jun 07, 2001 1:56 pm

I've only been in two invasions but they are probably the most fun I've had in all my years of Soj.

Personally, I like the alarm bells -- hey makes the effect more realistic. Maybe put signs around town or have the town crier yell something about "listen for alarm bells warning of impending doom" or some such.

The part I don't like is that once you die it's damn near impossible to get yer gear back and join back in, especially if you're a caster that has to re-mem 300+ secs of spells.

My vote: alarm warning only (+ town crier), no exp loss for under level 5, perma-preserve all invasion-caused corpses until looted by owner and then dissolve, and make the exp distribution group- and room-based.

.xyd

Xyd shrugs into a shirt that says "I survived the Orc Invasion of 2001"
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Thu Jun 07, 2001 3:01 pm

EXCELLENT idea Cherzra

Wobb
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Thu Jun 07, 2001 5:14 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rethan:
<B>Personally i think there should be some rewards in this too.....
Some decend and cool eq on the leaders or something similar. Invasions rock!</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This wouldn't necessarily have to mean good stats. Cool-looking ansi on items that have identical or similar stats to other items from mobs around that level would really add alot to this, imo.
vynigumba
Sojourner

Postby vynigumba » Thu Jun 07, 2001 6:09 pm

not sure is hat been mentioned.. but
it would be fun if you could run a sort of race war on invasions.
Example:
WD invasion.. good races help the guards fighting the invaders (which are aggro good race). and evil races help the invaders to fight the guards (which are aggro evil). The side which kills the band leader 1st wins.
(guess you need to tone down guards a little)

Just an idea, not sure how difficult is to implement.
Kelsiria
Sojourner

Postby Kelsiria » Thu Jun 07, 2001 7:36 pm

Chaos Christmas!

I'd love to see that return.

Kelsi
Lyt
Sojourner

Postby Lyt » Thu Jun 07, 2001 11:29 pm

Something I remember from an invasion of WD long ago, was that there were many bands of wandering orcs, and if you happened to start fighting some of the orcs in a room with guards, the guards would always assist the orcs. I think the elite at the fountain killed more players than all of the orcs combined. Was kinda lame. If you do an invasion of a town, flag the mobs the same as cats and dogs, etc where the guards either stand there and watch, or they assist you.

Oh by the way, I always like when there is plenty of warning that an invasion is going to happen. It always seems like I had just levelled right before the invasion starts, so I prefer to rent and not die doing something stupid, and then can get on a character I don't really care about. Shouts and invasion bells are always nice in these situations.

Lyt
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Fri Jun 08, 2001 4:55 am

I member my first and only Chaos Christmas... Those damn globed scrooges. As a low level lowly conjurer, I was nothing but fodder for them and rescue practice for the kind warriors, rangers, and paladins that saw me in distress. Had no clue what was going on when I logged on, but I had fun, despite dying many times. Get the NPCs into it, other than the guards and the mobs that get hit. Have those that can heal heal PCs and whatnot. I like the idea of invasion with a purpose. Equipment sounds nice and such, but there's not a real reliable way to distribute it, unless the staff does so at the end. Prestige, to me, sounds like a better way of rewarding people, although I'm still not too sure what prestige does, per se. I think it's past my bedtime. Bottom line is more invasions.

- Grungar "I Bent My Wookie" Forgefire
Tovar
Sojourner

Postby Tovar » Fri Jun 08, 2001 3:42 pm

I have to agree with Kelsi....Chaos X-mas was THE best. Also...if you want your stinking ogre/troll butts to stroll in WD...then DEAL with the elite guards as is...I know you'd expect the same from us if we invaded Ghore, Faang, or DK Vyni! :P

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 09, 2001 4:53 pm

Gartra here,

Invasions are a blast Cyric, and I like the ones where you do the globals, and warning bells. If some of us are playing our low level alts, that gives us a few minutes to change to our main chars. I only have one problem.

During the invasion of the undead, Lord P was assisting the zombies!!!

If it can just be double-checked that everything is coded right, let them come!!

Gartra
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Mon Jun 11, 2001 10:30 am

hate it when accidently del a gaggle of typing...
summary...
agree with Lyt flag invaders animal, perhaps take over a mob just to smite any twinky druids using protection from animals...shrugs?

agree Mplor, need a big pink sign

perhaps have leader mob? could be sentinel held up in UM or TP for example for WD invasion. Make it have a small entourage, like cherz's idea of having it move to a target slowly.

A little quip wouldn't go a stray. Perhaps load a couple of gold boots, decos etc, other mid lev stuff onto some of the wandering mobs so that we all have a chance of getting back the 'spoils of war'. Wouldnt unbalance anything having a couple more bit of mid lev quip about, and would be really exciting. Have something on the leader mob, just a little something again mid lev stuff that isnt so wonderful but a good incentive none the less?

shrugs..
have a rad day Image
Selias
Sojourner

Postby Selias » Tue Jun 12, 2001 6:17 pm

Invasions are great ideas! I have one idea for them though, and it fits in very well with RP. WHen an invasion occurs, set a goal for the PC's to achieve. If they fail to achieve that goal in a set amount of time, then the invasion is lost, and the mud should reboot.

When the mud comes back up, whichever zone was invaded should be changed to represent that it was invaded, and that the defenders lost.

Also, maybe for an invasion of evil/good hometowns you could load a duplicate of the city and flag it as arena... that way goods and evils can activly participate in defending their cities from each other. Would add a new element to the race wars thing. Ohh... and the invasions wouldn't only be by PC's, there'd be NPC's too, so that the balance of good vs. evil could be preserved.

Just some ideas, but I love the thought of invasions.

Sel
silvea
Sojourner

Postby silvea » Fri Jun 15, 2001 2:26 pm

If I put all theese ideas together you get something like this:

500 lvl 2 mobs(agro) run to waterdeep from TP
50 lvl 10 mobs(agro leaders) run to waterdeep from TP
1 group of 6 lvl 40 mobs(!agro) track to Lord Pierson to kill him

goal for evil players:
kill the guards before all mobs are killed, so the lvl 40 mobs or the evils can kill lord pierson

goal for goodies:
kill all evil mobs

Invasion ends if:

1) all invasion mobs are killed
2) lord pierson is killed before the invasion is ended
3) the lvl 40 group is killed.

reward:
some unique mid lvl item on lord pierson and on the group of lvl 40 evils

In this senario evils and goodies can help, it can be easly changed to invade an evil home town and it got a goal to do.
Haranalee
Sojourner

Postby Haranalee » Fri Jun 15, 2001 3:39 pm

I remember the Calimport invasion as being the most fun I ever had with holy word and earthquake. As for how it was done, I think that they should vary. There are enough things on the mud that _always_ happen the same way. I thought it was a blast and a half and I am grateful that Cyric thinks to do it Image I am grateful to all the other gods who think to put in cool stuff just for us, including detailed new zones. I do not think it is very gracious to complain at all. If you get waxed, well, its a mud, don't assume you are ever safe.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sat Jun 16, 2001 8:19 pm

Hmmm . . . while on the topic of giving invasion mobs and players involved goals, I think that invasions would be a good way to add in a bit more of the setting's flavor.

Everyone who's spent time in Waterdeep knows about Lord Piergeiron. Most probably don't know about the dozen or so Masked Lords of Waterdeep that rule beside him. Due to the anonymous nature of the Masked Lords (aside from Piergeiron, aka the Unmasked Lord), they all probably wouldn't be targets, though some of the suspected lords like Khelben Blackstaff (just would need to unguildmaster him for a bit) or Mirt the moneylender (would have to add in a special mob for this) might be targetted or pitch in during the fight.

It also doesn't need to just be things like orcs invading. I can easily see an attack by the Zhentarim, Red Wizards of Thay, Shadow Thieves, or Cult of the Dragon (with a nice, friendly Dracolich with them) that would be a bit more interesting than just something generic like orcs.

And instead of always coming through the gates or spawning in certain rooms, it would be neat to have something like a drow surface raid or monster overflow come out of Undermountain/the Yawning Portal in.

Likewise, it shouldn't just be restricted to Waterdeep, Baldur's Gate, or the other big population centers. A smaller town like Beliur, Ashrumite, or one of the "towns" that's actually an area like Ako or Mithka would make a nice setting for a smaller scale invasion. You could have a series of invasions that start out in smaller areas and over time get closer and closer to a population center, with successes or failures weakening or strengthening the others along the chain.

Just some idea that would help make invasions both interesting occassions for hack and slashers AND roleplayers.
Zhadrak/Dharag
Sojourner

Postby Zhadrak/Dharag » Sun Jun 17, 2001 10:46 am

the funniest invasion i was a part of was when that big ass dragon invaded BG. that was soo fun cuz ya didnt just go around killin a bunch of level 20 mobs. that thingie was mean
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Postby Cyric » Thu Jun 21, 2001 3:12 am

Now I know that something or other caused the mud to go BOOM tonite during the Great Cockroach Invasion, but I have a question to those of you that participated...was there one player that could be said to have contributed the most to the defense of the city, exhibiting unparalleled bravery and studliness?
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Thu Jun 21, 2001 3:23 am

Yea, but he got arrested by RDF guards, geez Image
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Thu Jun 21, 2001 3:24 am

I knew going to Calculus tonight was a bad idea. I missed an invasion! Image

Question for ya, Cyric. Were there warnings as to this one beforehand (as in hours/days) or was it a thing that you just kinda dropped on everyone?

- Grungar "Things & Stuff" Forgefire
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Thu Jun 21, 2001 3:25 am

Who could tell? There was so much spam and lag, especially in the rooms with lots of roaches. Cullen and I tried rallying some of the ppl at the market square and several ppl including kokelei answered the call, but that was floundered in the chaos that ensued. Poor cullen was thrown in jail by the guards during one of the fights. Perhaps the charges could be thrown out, as he was valiantly trying to defend the city. BTW, I noticed ya tried to warn off the lowbies early on. I hope it worked, because as a lvl 40 ranger, I walked into a room with about 30 roaches and they were whitling me down. Someone was working on rescuing me, before I fled. Was a paladin i think, but the name escapes me atm.

Thanks for trying!!

Izzy

[This message has been edited by izarek (edited 06-20-2001).]
Letat
Sojourner

Postby Letat » Thu Jun 21, 2001 3:27 am

I think I contributed the most to cowardess in the invasion. Read on:

Letat is walking around, coming back from a rather annoying CR in Split Shield when he starts hearing these global tells "everyone get to WD!" Letat starts high-tailing it back to WD, as there must be something important happening. He gets to the east gate, which is closed, and begins to rest and wait on the time to hit 6 am.

He gets the final "it would be best if those around WD were inside the walls" tell, and thinks about finding another way in. Stand up and head east to walk into MORE ROACHES THAN HE HAS EVER SEEN IN HIS ENTIRE LIFE!

He sees the first and is confused long enough to start getting attacked. Letat hastily retreats to the east, only to find MORE BUGS! Letat continues east until he finally gets out of the swarm, tucks tail and runs to podville, where he pitches his tent.

And that's the story of the cowardly little 'chanter. Image
Galorion
Sojourner

Postby Galorion » Thu Jun 21, 2001 4:02 am

Izzy, that may have been me Image.

I was having a blast - those bugs couldn't touch me and I was practicing my rescue skill like crazy Image. My only complaint is that I lost my weapon because I fumbled and a stupid guard picked it up Image.

I was originally on as my new low level enchanter, but as soon as I saw the echos, I rented and brought on the paladin Image.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”