EQ - Hah, Laugh if you will

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
kwirl
Sojourner

EQ - Hah, Laugh if you will

Postby kwirl » Wed Jul 18, 2001 2:12 pm

I wish there was a way to buy EQ using real cash, or even buy money using real cash. My time is worth more than my money, so I would gladly buy stuff if I could. Oh well, *nudge* If any eq goes up on e-bay, gimme a yell :P

-Daz, Wonders if someone would sell an holy longsword for 40 bucks :P
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jul 18, 2001 3:15 pm

I would... but I don't have any to sell. How about a dark steel longsword? Image

Sarvis
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Wed Jul 18, 2001 3:51 pm

Err...
It just feels so wrong and against some unspoken rule. Don't you think buy and selling stuff would be detrimental to the mud environment?

"Cool you got a windsong! Nice job! It must've taken you forever to get it!"
"Not really, I bought it for $525 of ebay"

That just seems wrong to me.

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 18, 2001 3:52 pm

Avernus, the life stealer of Arex the Great for auction, starting bid, $1,000. :P

Mask

(and yes, I think auctioning equip is a lame)
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Wed Jul 18, 2001 3:54 pm

Hey, I sold my old EQ accounts for 1100 dollars collectively.

Only reason I didn't feel bad is because it was pay-to-play, tho. On a MUD that's free I think it would damage the environment entirely.

------------------
Malacar - French kissin midgets, and damn proud of it. Oh yeah... My comments can offend you now, I don't care anymore. Have a day.
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Wed Jul 18, 2001 3:58 pm

damage environment my ass :P

no offense, but its not like im asking for custom made artifacts here. YES, i know i could get these things, but the simple fact is, im working more than i would like, and not able to mud as much as i want. therefor i am not able to get these things, that i need, or at least, feel that i need.

in my opinion, how is it different than some guy giving his roomy a frosty in exchange for doing the laundry? stuff like that.

it happens, always has happened, and at no point did the mud ever suffer from it.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Wed Jul 18, 2001 4:08 pm

God forbid someone post their opinion on here, Kwirl.

Yet another reason to not post your ideas, opinions, etc. The masses will constantly blast you for it.

Why would it damage the environment?

Case in point, play everquest. Then learn what the term 'eq camper' is. Then figure out that if you allowed people to sell items for money, they would sit on items all day long, everyday, quit their jobs, and live off the proceeds for it. Granted, EQ is a much higher scale, and the aforementioned scenario is unlikely at best on Sojourn, but if you think EQ camping is bad now, just imagine it when people can get cash for it.

------------------
Malacar - French kissin midgets, and damn proud of it. Oh yeah... My comments can offend you now, I don't care anymore. Have a day.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Wed Jul 18, 2001 4:15 pm

he just posted a counter point like you always do. You need to chill out Malacar your a little baby i swear. All you do on every thread is cry about someone doing the same thing you just did.
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Wed Jul 18, 2001 4:16 pm

hrmm
the Sojourn i play, people have hoarded eq for the last 7 years. before that, i dont know - i wasnt here.

im simply trying to take eq from their storage characters, and put it in my hands. for now.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Wed Jul 18, 2001 4:21 pm

I do think that selling of equipment is a pretty lame idea, and im sure it would probably be some sort of TSR copyright infringment of some sort if someone were profiting off the mud. If you want stuff play an evil, we hand our stuff down to people, i have given out stuff that would have made 100k plat at least if i was in the good race commerce market. I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing but it is a different way to play for sure, it just depends on your motivations for playing.
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Wed Jul 18, 2001 4:29 pm

first of all - there is no copyright infringement, i forget exactly where, but there is an internet law covering that type of stuff

second - i dont wanna play evil for 'free' stuff. i LIKE playing on the good side, ive played goody for a long time. hell, I have given my share of stuff away, too. but this wipe, i havent had the time that i used to (true i been on a lot recently)

third - the main reason im looking for better eq is so i can level myself, and get eq to give away to people that i think are cool and deserve eq, and i know they arent the type of player to get brought along on a big zone run all the time. i try to be a middleman.
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Wed Jul 18, 2001 4:44 pm

I suppose unless we get an official mandate from the admins, people can get they're eq however they want, be it from zoning, questing, trading, buying with plat, buying with cash, buying with livestock (I'll give you 6 cows for your flamberge), performing services(Laundry = frosty), or other things (2 ripplin' swords me love you long time).

Anyway, how about we agree to disagree until we get an official mandate? I don't think anyone's gonna change their opinions on this one.

*smiles*
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Wed Jul 18, 2001 4:47 pm

If you need something, by all means get it, but don't "camp" or horde equipment.

i need something
all means is an inclusive term
i am not camping
im helping people not horde (sic) their eq.

not only is it legal according to the rules, it also helps people avoid breaking rules! oh no! hoarding is illegal! maybe ill sell daz this extra eq so that i can pay my $400 a month british-pay-per-bandwidth bill!

:P
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Wed Jul 18, 2001 5:35 pm

I'll group with ya.

if you pay me...
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Jul 18, 2001 5:40 pm

lol hyldy! "2 ripplin' swords me love you long time"

In that case, I've got a few things I'll exchange for.. er.... certain services :P
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Jul 18, 2001 6:12 pm

Yeah, I'll get that code in that you want...

if you send me a big fat check! :P
gordex
Sojourner

Postby gordex » Wed Jul 18, 2001 6:27 pm

paying for eq on THIS mud would be REALLY bad news. I can tell you I have had alot of time on my hands recently, and have a pretty fair amount of mud knowledge. Imagine if 30 more people like me sprung up to get eq, all the zones would be done in the first hour of boot. Then what we gonna do, exp until boot/crash?! If someone paid me for eq, it would be disastrous for the mud as a whole hehe.

Gordex - Gordex Travel Agency
My 2 Cents Image
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Wed Jul 18, 2001 6:36 pm

So much for anti-flame threads.

Zrax? Suck my dick.

I didn't flame him at all. You flamed me.

I didn't even take his post as a flame, but in all honesty, it was worded rather annoyingly(which is fine. that's the main reason I didn't flame back). "damage environment my ass :P"

He's entitled to his opinion, and I respect that freedom. I simply posted my view.

If you got a problem with me, paco, my email is posted. Feel free to take this stupid shit to emails.

------------------
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Wed Jul 18, 2001 6:38 pm

btw - in NO way is "my ass" meant to be a flame of any sorts. its sort of like answering a question - "what do you think roseanne looks like?" - "my ass"
see? its not an insult or a flame, just strong interjections. no offense meant.

that said -

i dont think so gordex, i really dont - im not really a total newbie, and i remember in my days of zoning, MOST of the minor zones got run within a few hours of reboot, with the larger stuff going not too long after that. about 12-16 hours into mud, only stuff being done is questing, xp, random obscure zones, etc.

and leading isnt just something people hop up and say, ok, wow - he is offering me money! im gonna go do that! please. if only. leading is a LOT of hassle, a LOT of patience, and a LOT of frustration (until you have a good solid crew) the rewards are worth it, but bleh.

i seriously doubt that my offering some 30 bucks for blued greaves or 15 bucks for a pbone shield, etc is gonna make people quit their jobs and magically start leading zones that werent already being run before.

[This message has been edited by kwirl (edited 07-18-2001).]
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Wed Jul 18, 2001 6:41 pm

[EDIT: Point taken kwirl. I didn't intend mine as an insult back to you. Hope it wasn't taken that way either Image ]

No, and I agree kwirl. Something small like that, and not in abundance, probably wouldn't affect much.

But if it became common practice, it would snowball. Things like that have a habit of taking off from the intended idea.

That said, while I disagree with it, I don't see the harm if it takes place on the side with small trades. For instance, if you bought said holy longsword. I think the issue would come in more when you get the really powerful stuff. Like invasion, or manscorps, or some of the new stuff in myth drannor, etc.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Malacar (edited 07-18-2001).]
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Wed Jul 18, 2001 6:46 pm

hmmm
heh - i agree really, i think the fun in that kind of stuff lies in getting it. the eq i want is just basically stock mid-upper level warrior stuff that every warrior in soj2 had - lightning bolts circlet, tg's, batskin mask, crescent eyepatch, blued greaves, coral vambs, twisties, jeweled cestus, 2x onyx rings, pbone, drow or mithril belt, fg boots, brig plate, rhemo cloak - the reason i want this stuff, and am willing to pay cash for it?
so i can better lead xp groups and get my ass up to the levels to do fun stuff. sorry, but ive had my fun cut off in too many wipes, im frustrated :P

i want decent eq, so i can run the REAL zones
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Wed Jul 18, 2001 6:48 pm

I don't see a huge problem there then. That eq will be in huge abundance in a few weeks anyways.

I doubt the admins would condone it, even in the slightest, but I don't think it would impact much if kept small like that.

------------------
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Wed Jul 18, 2001 6:49 pm

Malacar,

I did not say you flamed him, I said you cried like a baby that he was flaming you when all he did was offer a counterpoint to the point you made. You do this all the time. I am no longer confused as to why you always whine like a little bitch though, it has become obvious that you do this because you are one.

Why would I bother to email you when you dont offer people the same courtesy.
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Wed Jul 18, 2001 6:50 pm

Heh, you said Horde eq? *halo*

Too bad Varia is not playing full force, she would be the one stop shop.

*wink*
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Wed Jul 18, 2001 6:52 pm

the help file says 'horde' eq :P
im pretty sure its mispelled, but oh well :P

and nods, varia rocked
Abue
Sojourner

Postby Abue » Wed Jul 18, 2001 6:53 pm

Starting Bid for a level 50 human Invoker $2000. Do I have a bidder?
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Wed Jul 18, 2001 6:55 pm

Check your email boy. It's funny how the person whose post I replied to didn't get angry, nor did I, but you feel the need to put your unwanted two cents in(It's funny. I used to do this all the time. I now truly realize how super-annoying and pathetic it is. For anyone that reads this? I apologize for ever doing this to you in the past.).

Me on the phone: "Hello, WAHmbulance? I got a wah here for you. He needs help. Lots of it."

Guy on the other end: "We'll be right there!"

------------------

cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Jul 18, 2001 6:55 pm

shout IRON RATIONS FS! Only 1 RL dollar!
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Wed Jul 18, 2001 7:00 pm

Cherz, just become a bank. Image

1 plat for sale, 1 dollar rl. Unlimited amounts. Bulk discounts!

------------------
ShadowDrake
Sojourner

Postby ShadowDrake » Wed Jul 18, 2001 7:37 pm

I'm not going to flame on this thread. I see it heavily pointless to do.

In my honest opinion, I don't see the reason in selling eq for rl cash. Look at it this way. Sojourn is a GAME. Yes, I understand that they sell eq on games like Everquest and Asheron's Call. I played AC for about 6 months while Sojourn was down. I saw lots of stuff up on Ebay all the time.

Besides the fact that games like AC and EQ are pay-to-play, you have thousands of people playing the games, 99% of the time you don't actually know anyone else. Everyone plays for the 'twink' aspect. I've done quests in AC before. They're fun, but the role-playing aspect really isn't there.

The reason I, like so many other dedicated gamers, play Sojourn is because of this role-play ability here. The environment of the mud screams "Quest me! Quest me!"

What's the point of doing a quest when someone can just say "$100? sure! Thanks for the *insert ultra-rare proc weapon*"
To me, it defeats the purpose of the quest. Sure, I would love a Holy Avenger right now. I'd kill every mob on the mud for it twice over. Does it mean I'll get it? No.

I want to -enjoy- getting it. I have a real life - job and friends - and that often limits my mudding time. This doesn't mean that I can find that time where I can quest after it.

Think about it. Someone gives you this awesome weapon that normally would have taken hours to quest for, not to mention solving the tricks in the quest. Sure, it's great. You go kill a few mobs with it. Compare that to finishing the quest. The mob's corpse is lying there, you're wiping the sweat away from your brow as your fingers are still trembling at the keyboard. All the while, all you can think is "Holy crap... (I/We) did it!"

Compare the satisfaction.

Not necessaraly the quests are all this applies to. This goes for all those awesome items people spend days leveling their character to be able to get, and then maybe a few hours to achieve. Now consider the time that the developer put into the quest, mob, item, or zone.

When you bring a real life aspect such as selling in-game items for real-life cash, it detracts from the game in tremendous ways. It's one reason I love Sojourn so much, and hated it when Toril went down.

I can't speak for anyone else on the mud, nor will I. I won't flame, I won't make counterpoints to piss anyone off, or argue for the sake of arguing. I honestly feel that Sojourn keeps us here because we enjoy it so much. If people started selling off Frostbite's for rl cash, that love would cheapen.

That's not something I want to see happen. I value the time put into quests and items in the game. It makes it that much more fun for me to get the item, and that much more satisfaction in knowing I accomplished something.

Just my two cents.

Kaern Retsar, Defender of Thromshier
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Wed Jul 18, 2001 7:42 pm

i just want to point out the fact that
1 - i stated i agree with you
2 - notice that NONE of the items i said i was looking for are quest items.
3 - and i do NOT play sojourn to quest. i play to RP, a little bit. and it interact with other people who enjoy playing this game as much as i do. not to kill, not to level, but to have fun with like-minded adult or mature minds. in 7 years you know the biggest quest i have done? probably green cloak of leaves. im sure you REAL questers realize now how worthless i am, but the fact is, whenever i get into those groups that run brass, jot, astral, etc - im happy to be there. im not looking for better eq. i get eq, im proud of it - but to be honest, i would give it away to the first person who asked for it if i felt they really need it.

i dont have friends who can or will give me sets of eq. maybe you do. i dont. im not looking for quest eq, one day i hope to earn it on my own.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Wed Jul 18, 2001 7:53 pm

I agree 100% on the quest item buying. That'd be a bad bad bad thing.

But in defense of kwirl, he merely stated he wanted mid-low level stuff, and only to get up to speed. I can relate to the 'not having enough time' aspect, though.

Ain't life a beach?

That's the reason I play(ed) a chanter now. The rush for equipment isn't as needed. It's skill honing and working hard with your team. I made the mistake of backsliding towards my 'eq grubbing oldschool malatwink' days. That might be part of the reason I am taking a break now. To get my head on straight and figure out why that happened, and instead of just saying 'Im better now.', really looking at it again and know why.

I'd personally never buy equipment, nor even sell it. But more power to you if you wanted to do that on a low scale, low level, restriction. It may cause harm, but it might not.

My last post here. Image I'm rehashing my own words now.. woot.

(Are there any geisha houses in the US? Since I'm not going to Japan now, I feel like I am losing out on it!)

------------------

sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Wed Jul 18, 2001 9:57 pm

remember people having like 13 giantbanes to hamstring giants? lots of eq are going to be in abudance soon. i personally would not buy eq cuz i'm poor. but kwirl time is worth more than his money. not everyone has to be role-player, quester, power lvler, socializer, hack & slasher, zoners, leaders, etc. i guess the point i'm making is that people mud for different reason, just because it's different than yours, it does not mean it will destroy the game/ruin game. i mean how many of you guys group w/ kwirl anyways. how many of you guys are effected by someone camping flagon? i know evils aren't and i bet u lots of the high lvl goodies aren't. however, there are mention of it escalation. camping in zone? i thought u can't camp in zones anymore? zones being done fast? soj2 jot/brass/crypt/tf/ic/hell were zones usually done right after a boot. however there were still zones that usually aren't done til late, like cc, sf, air, fp, astral, nizari? my point is that there are lots of zones on sojourn and lots of high lvl zones have good eq. another point about zones, soj3 god's had to cut ress quest some because it was too hard. jot/ic are done more often now but not within the 1st hour. anyways zones might be completed in 1hr but i dont think it's gonna happen pretty soon.

kwirl post ya email address
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Wed Jul 18, 2001 10:25 pm

kwirlkarphys@hotmail.com

unchanged over the last 4 and a half years :P
Jenera
Sojourner

Postby Jenera » Wed Jul 18, 2001 10:46 pm

Is it just me, or does it seem damn wrong to pay real money for items that don't exist past some pretty colored text on a monitor Image

Jenera the Poor
16th level Invoker
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Wed Jul 18, 2001 10:49 pm

:P

btw - i get paid tomorrow
im looking to get rid of my money on each payday. i have hardly any bills, so all my money is spent like the following

*cash check*
*ponders what cool things i want*
*buy pizza and beer*
*go to friends house for weekend, party*
*wake up*
*spend more money, maybe clothes*
*contemplate being broke, go back to work*

this happens every 2 weeks.
Sangdraxus Blackfire
Sojourner

Postby Sangdraxus Blackfire » Wed Jul 18, 2001 11:05 pm

I sold my account on Ebay from EQ... made a pretty penny.

I think that spending money on those things is just plain dumb, but if someone is willing to do it... hehe. have at it.

Now that I am older, and have kids to take care of... if my money isn't going on them... it goes on the gym and my weightlifting suppliments... that is enjoyment now..

we all grow up at one time, let him spend his money if someone has something he wants... it isn't hurting anyone, they are just pixels...

oh well.

------------------
Sangdraxus Blackfire
Ancient Defender of Mask - Sojourn
Leader of the Veil of Darkness
Lyt
Sojourner

Postby Lyt » Thu Jul 19, 2001 8:25 am

Hey I know someone on Toril (or was it Sojourn1....I can't remember) who sold a Twilight. I won't say who it was, but they got a lot of RL cash for it. Heck if someone wanted to offer me cash for my eq, I would sell it, as this is only a silly game. But I would never go out of my way to initiate selling stuff.

Lyt
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Thu Jul 19, 2001 9:58 am

I wouldn't sell my eq. It is simpy uneconomical.

Lets say it takes 3 jot runs for me to get a certain item from it.

Thats at LEAST 5 hours investment, and if I want monetary recompensation for my investment. I do not think anyone on this mud, no matter how rich parents, would pay 500$ for a frostbite.

/Jegzed
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Jul 19, 2001 10:41 am

Pretend you WOULD sell your eq, what would you ask for it?

shout FS:

SG crown - 250$
bolt eyep - 250$
tribal mask - 30$
2x tg earring - 40$ each
duergar chainmail - 75$
mantle of dolomite - 30$
2x silver/gold chain - 25$ each
drow skin belt - 30$
blued vambraces - 80$
2x runed mith bracelet - 150$
spidergaunts - 350$
2x onyx ring - 15$ each
serpent shield - 50$
shadows sword - 75$
drider leggings - 75$
golden boots - $10
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Thu Jul 19, 2001 11:05 am

Your prices sound rather low.

/Jegzed

[This message has been edited by Jegzed (edited 07-19-2001).]
silvea
Sojourner

Postby silvea » Thu Jul 19, 2001 11:09 am

I don't hope it will be ever allowed to do this Cherzra, Nor do I think its allowed within the licence for the mud client they use. There is a closule that no monney my be generated directly or indirectly from using dikumud software. I'm not sure on the exact closule within it and how far this my be streched......

Could a god post/respond to this thread with a statement please?
Abue
Sojourner

Postby Abue » Thu Jul 19, 2001 11:44 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jenera:
<B>Is it just me, or does it seem damn wrong to pay real money for items that don't exist past some pretty colored text on a monitor Image
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jenera Get out and see the world. What do you think things like cable are? Watch your 15 minutes of commercials and 15 minutes of your 30 minute show and tell me what you have you your hands when it is all said and done? An empty pizza roll carton? heeh. I canciled my cable. AT&T are a bunch of monopolistic pirates ready to bend you over the first chance they get.
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Thu Jul 19, 2001 12:05 pm

Had an a friend pay $250 bucks for a cloak of eternal fire on Toril. He wanted it bad, sent the check got the cloak, end of story.

I wasn't surprised at all when he told me who sold him the cloak....

Ilshad
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Jul 19, 2001 1:45 pm

Jegzed: PLEASE tell me you don't get paid $100/hour irl!?! I don't wanna have to be that jealous... Image

Silvea: The Diku license only prevents the MUD from profiting off the codebase. As long as the imms don't start selling the eq they aren't breaking the license.

Sarvis
Hamibugan Sinweaver
Sojourner

Postby Hamibugan Sinweaver » Thu Jul 19, 2001 2:17 pm

Nahh, Jeg goes for about 10 bucks a pop, he's over-exaggerating Image

Seriously though, I haven't seen any official rules, but that's just kinda lame. I think if I was Miax I'd come up with something in a hurry, just sounds cheezy. Fun to imagine though.

Sounds like Cherz is looking for a replacable income. "I'm a stay at home MUD EQ salesman", lol, funny. Image

------------------
That is all. Peace.
Hami
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Thu Jul 19, 2001 2:18 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarvis:
<B>Jegzed: PLEASE tell me you don't get paid $100/hour irl!?! I don't wanna have to be that jealous... Image
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No I don't have 100+$/hour IRL. I could probably get that if I consulted instead but I do have enough to live pretty okay Image

Consider that, if you want it to be perfectly legal, that you first have to pay sales tax from it. (25% here in Sweden).

THEN if you are doing this so you earn more than a set amount/year, you have to pay income tax and social fees. ( I'm guessing here, but I'd think that in average you'd get like 25-30% income tax. Social fees in Sweden is paid by the company usually so you never see it affect your salary, but its usually another 33%.)

If you live in a really liberal and low tax state you might lose only 10%, but then again you could live in Denmark where'd you end up with 10% LEFT.

So in total, average that the income of a 500$ frostbite to net you about 50-300$ depending on where you live.

If you sell one item ever, then yeah you could pocket all cash. If you do it regularly, then I bet IRS is interested and you can't really make a profit considering the time invested and the price you might fetch.

The concept of earning money is EITHER to sell huge amounts at a small profit, or selling a small amount for a HUGE profit.

ie, Frostbite for 2K$ anyone?

Selling items on a mud is just a waste of time, and removes the "its-not-the-real-world" attitude about it.

/Jegzed

[This message has been edited by Jegzed (edited 07-19-2001).]
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Thu Jul 19, 2001 2:36 pm

hey cherzra - email me, im interested if your serious :P

kwirlkarphys@hotmail.com
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Fri Jul 20, 2001 2:15 am

lol...lol...rofl...wanna buy a troll??lol
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Jul 20, 2001 3:31 am

Send a God money for code Shev? Can anyone say scorn? mmmmm yay for buying things from coders!

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”