there are people that find playing a warrior rocks . . .

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
kwirl
Sojourner

there are people that find playing a warrior rocks . . .

Postby kwirl » Tue Aug 07, 2001 2:17 am

there are also people who think that swimming in freezing arctic-like waters is a rewarding thing to do wearing only underwear.
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Tue Aug 07, 2001 3:16 am

ROFL ROFL ROFL...

I just want some more skills :P
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Tue Aug 07, 2001 4:32 am

well, just cuz i guess i should write here. im leaving sojourn for a while, maybe a few weeks, maybe a few months. i dont know. i put my heart, time, and love into my warrior character. i understand that some people are gonna think that i quit too easy, or that im whining, i dont know. the truth is that i dont like feeling useless.

i know how to lead exp, small zones, and i can find just about any place on the prime material plane. ive played for a number of years, and i really love this mud. right now, i dont have the time or desire to make a new character, or the heart to continue this one.

i hope that in a few months ill be able to get groups with people, or that people will magically need *me* for once. im a pctank. thats all i am, i cant summon mounts, or mounted combat, or healmyself or anything else - i tank, i bash, and i rescue. its what i do, and i do it good.

it breaks my barbarian heart when people tell me "id rather have an anti tank" or something. because of all the classless !xp mobs, i need a group to xp decently

i wished the pride would have been here. i miss groups, or being asked to group. i play sojourn not for the eq, the levels, or anything except the friendship and groups. the people that were friends last wipe, the wipe before, or the wipe before, or even on duris - they have their circles of friends, and i really dont fit into any of that.

ill stop now. on a personal note, i DO have problems, i use mud to escape them, it really helps me. i have bi-polar manic depression, mild attention deficit disorder, and some forms of compulsive behavior. my mud life helps me take control of a mental state that i otherwise have no control over. i thank those of you that were my friends, although im sad that some of you that i thought were friends are always too busy to hang out with me. best of luck to you all

-daz proudwolf
Nekler BlazingWolf
Sojourner

Postby Nekler BlazingWolf » Tue Aug 07, 2001 5:39 am

Daz, get your large barbarian self back here. How dare you give up so easily. Not once have I gotten a tell from you asking if you can join me. I don't use who that often, so I don't know if you are online or not. You or anyone else from pride should know I would group with you. If I'm already in a group, I'll ask if you can join. In that kind of situation, thats all I can do. So get yourself back here. We'll need you! Image
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Tue Aug 07, 2001 6:15 am

Are doctors still diagnosing manic depressive bi-polar for anyone that walks in there office? Heh they tried to tell me I was that and I aked them to prove it, they laughed at me and said well we can't really. I said ok seeya.
I think old doctors just called it mood swings. Drink a coke or a beer when ya need one.
And by all means mud your ass off. Image
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Tue Aug 07, 2001 6:29 am

nekler dude - you are what? 38ish? somewhere like that.

im barely level 28 (actually, i think 27)
i dont ask to group with people that high above me - i feel like im excess garbage. as a warrior, the only way i am useful is with a group near my level. thats how it is Image cleric, voker, stuff like that - nother story. but lower level warriors shouldnt group outside level like that
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Tue Aug 07, 2001 8:09 am

Oh man, you gotta be kidding me... How can any warrior not be getting groups?!... I constantly find myself looking for them, cuz paladin's want to be mounted, and rangerbash sux0r! Come back and be a good basher man! Image

Twyl
Abue
Sojourner

Postby Abue » Tue Aug 07, 2001 11:38 am

Hmm... Doctors suck ass. Where I come from these over paid assholes beat up old woman on the side of the roads for driving to slow. They get upset when there fancy german made cars can't roar like they want them to.
Nekler BlazingWolf
Sojourner

Postby Nekler BlazingWolf » Tue Aug 07, 2001 12:20 pm

Actually bro.. I'm 37ish, but that still doesn't matter. I tend to take care of friends. Maybe you can't tank for me or larger groups, but I can aid you in your tanking for yourself. I aften find myself sitting around with nothing to do. Even if its helping a friend get some levels, it would still be better then just being bored. People from pride are around, and are verious levels. I'm sure you'd just have to ask them if you could join them. No matter if you were joining pride again or not.. warriors are still very much needed. So get yourself back here and get back into things.. we need ya.
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Tue Aug 07, 2001 1:17 pm

Do a good who sometime, warriors are the class we need more than any other currently.
Belle

The casters keep sweating when I'm listed as the primary basher Image
Thorlin
Sojourner

Postby Thorlin » Tue Aug 07, 2001 1:23 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kwirl:
<B>nekler dude - you are what? 38ish? somewhere like that.

im barely level 28 (actually, i think 27)
i dont ask to group with people that high above me - i feel like im excess garbage. as a warrior, the only way i am useful is with a group near my level. thats how it is Image cleric, voker, stuff like that - nother story. but lower level warriors shouldnt group outside level like that</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude! as a paladin tank, lemme tell you I've seen warriors do JUST as good if not better. You have more HPS, shieldblock, and a lot more versatility as far as being able to be hitters. I'm not arguing with you, I'm just saying I'd be glad to have a warrior in my group anyday. And I don't turn people away, ugh..that wasn't supposed to rhyme..

Anyways, just try rolling through the 'who' list sometime and start sending tells, i always did who (two levels below-two levles above) my level and started rambling off to all of em to try and get a group, or i went and helped noobies in hopes that when they got higher level they'd be good to group with.

Hell man, if you're quitting because you can't find a group..send me a tell, you can roll with me anytime :P

Ensis- 34 Paladin of Kelemvor..yea!
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Aug 07, 2001 2:29 pm

Some doctors are, indeed, idiots. Bi-polar disorder is a verifiable condition caused by a disturbance in certain chemical levels which can be somewhat (not completely) corrected with medication. Way too many people are diagnosed with this condition without testing and medicated with drugs not intended to correct the condition to begin with. Our wonderful "my kid's overactive/overweight/crying/angry/talks too much/doesn't talk enough/not making straight A's/not following in my footsteps/not in all the advanced classes/shooting other children, so put 'em on a pill" society.
Gotta love it.

If you have been clinically diagnosed with bi-polar disorder then find a doctor who will listen to you. This might take some time, too many quacks are used to prescribing anti-depressives like candy cure-alls and don't even seem to be aware that there is an actual treatment for this problem. If you haven't had the tests run, you haven't been properly diagnosed and should tell the doctors to stick it until they're willing to put a little more effort into your problem.
If you have been properly diagnosed, there are ways to learn to cope with it. Feel free to holler at me if you so desire... if nothing else, I have really broad shoulders. We might not know each other, but does that really matter?
Ash
Dinggle
Sojourner

Postby Dinggle » Tue Aug 07, 2001 3:26 pm

for the first time that i can remember warriors, on both sides, are in the minority. there is a real lack of the pure warrior class on the evil side, yet we have lots of casters.

i guess on the good side, with paladins haveing mounted combat, some warriors are paladins now. silly :P
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Tue Aug 07, 2001 4:48 pm

The thing I've seen with paladins and warriors is that in groups it seems that having multiple paladins is a detriment, while having multiple warriors is very good. Warriors are more useful(do I need to explain this?) and oftentimes more convenient(don't need to attmpt a quickmount).

In a hypothetical situation, lets say there is a high level zoning group with 1 paladin and 2 warriors. Given the choice between an additional paladin or an additional warrior of similar level, given no emotional attachments the group would invariably choose the warrior. Warrior redundancy is a big plus.

Now recently in the groups I've been in, there has been a shortage of non-anon high level goody warriors. As a result, 3w becomes a little more crowded.

I'd say this warrior shortage is going to slowly become worse if more lower level warriors quit or decide to roll paladins/anti-paladins.
Garosh
Sojourner

Postby Garosh » Tue Aug 07, 2001 5:45 pm

Goodie Warriors Missing in action will probably become a more and more common problem..
Main reason? They are boring to play.
Another reason? We see other warrior subclasses getting most of a warriors' skills and still having their other class bonuses, ie. spells, abilities, equipment(ranger specific, paladin specific, anti specific)
In the past warriors had pretty good Dual Wield ability, now that seems to be squat.
Warriors used to have the best bash, but with Pbones out there, most of the warrior subclasses bash just as well.
Now that I think about it..Warrior doesnt even seem to be the major class..I guess a warrior is really a Subclass of Paladin/antipaladin.

On the flipside, if there was a Goodie warrior type that had the regeneration ability of Trolls, or the usefulness of Ogres(doorbash and bash damn near everything), more would probably play warriors.
Or if there was something that would make the class more interesting, The old skills of Berserk, and the chants of battle and healing(Self Only chant/buffs)

Another change that I personally think is lame, is the damage messages. Basing it on what the mob has left is damn boring.
I miss the old school messages of..
You Slash your target very hard! (meaning you did 10-15 damage)
Your Slash hit the target with the force of a nuclear weapon. (100+ damage)
etc etc..

Instead we get to be amazed by..'You barely slash the goblin'
yipeee

Tag in the factor that pretty much across the board, weapons do diddly for dice damage.
Wheres the fun in playing a warrior if you cant tear something up?
Instead we use a holy sword of ultimate poonerdom, that does 2d7. Which for a dnd stat would be okay, but in a world where mobs have 32000 hps, might as well be using a toothpick.
Reason I say dnd in the previous example is..seems that most weapons seem to be going by that standard, though the hps of the creatures you fight dont.

Ah well, my lil spout, Summary of my Essay is Warriors are boring. (At least goodie ones) Any Evil warriors can chime in, since I dont have much experience playing them in the last 3 incarnations of the mud.

Garosh, wielder of Ticklebringer, the sword of Pooner. (humming) (drooping like a wet noodle)
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Tue Aug 07, 2001 7:29 pm

I don't know much about the new paladin and antipaladin skills but I was wondering if there was a chance that a mount would take damage when flankblocking, this would seem realistic.
Garosh
Sojourner

Postby Garosh » Tue Aug 07, 2001 7:34 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Zrax:
I don't know much about the new paladin and antipaladin skills but I was wondering if there was a chance that a mount would take damage when flankblocking, this would seem realistic.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I posted about that a long time ago..That any sensible mob that was gettting blocked that much, Any mob with more than a 3 outta 100 intelligence anyway, would attack the horse. The skill itself makes no sense in any sense of melee combat I have ever heard of.
tritian
Sojourner

Postby tritian » Tue Aug 07, 2001 7:43 pm

The problem with playing a goodie warrior is having nothing to look forward to other then being the biggest eq slave bitch around. Without gear you literally have nothing but a whole lotta hitpoints. No decent shield (read !PBone) means a decrease of about 50-70% that your bash will hit, plus you no longer have shieldblock.

Warriors just need something to make them more interesting to play, battle chants as someon posted berfore would be nice, or maybe a slightly better then normal player regen rate for barbarian warrior.

I mean half the time in groups the caster could be standing there naked and still do 5 times as much damage to a mob as I do (and hey if your a voker you now get a 25% damage exp bonus! :P to Tasabbly for that one)

As for goodie warriors alway being needed that isnt really the case, or maybe folk just dont like me Image But I tend to agree with Daz's comments made above.

If the coders can find a way to give Warriors some sort of skill that would make them more interesting to play, in other words something to make them look forward to gaining a level or 5 in the same fashion casters do.

Kaw Shadowtiger
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Tue Aug 07, 2001 8:02 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by tritian:
<B>
(and hey if your a voker you now get a 25% damage exp bonus! :P to Tasabbly for that one)

As for goodie warriors alway being needed that isnt really the case, or maybe folk just dont like me Image </B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Invoker's who got little to no damage exp before, got it upped 25%. Its still not much. Therefore, I don't think you can call it a "bonus".

As I said, we need high level warriors. Not mid-level or low-level ones. If your a high level warrior, I've never seen you before, are you anon?

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 07, 2001 8:03 pm

Warriors by far are the most important class on the MUD, bar none.

They may not have the flashy spells like illusionists or enchanters. They may not be able to match the raw damage over time of an invoker or psionicist. They may not get the flashy skills of a ranger or paladin. But what they do get is unmatched skill levels in the most important abilities on in order to keep a group alive.

Warriors are like chess. Very easy to learn how to play, very difficult to master. A bad warrior will easily cause a group to get torn apart. They may not be flashy, but the skills they get are absolutely necessary for survival. They may be boring, but those groups you're keeping alive sure appreciate those "boring" skills you get.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Tue Aug 07, 2001 8:13 pm

Actually I agree with Kia, a high level warrior is irreplacable, my only possible gripe with the class would be the worthlessness of headbutt.

For all those people living under the illusion that troll regeneration is the best thing since sliced bread, it is for levels 1-40ish, at which point the benefit of regeneration does not outweigh the fire damage we take.
Garosh
Sojourner

Postby Garosh » Tue Aug 07, 2001 8:25 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kiaransalee:
<B>Warriors by far are the most important class on the MUD, bar none.

They may not have the flashy spells like illusionists or enchanters. They may not be able to match the raw damage over time of an invoker or psionicist. They may not get the flashy skills of a ranger or paladin. But what they do get is unmatched skill levels in the most important abilities on in order to keep a group alive.

Warriors are like chess. Very easy to learn how to play, very difficult to master. A bad warrior will easily cause a group to get torn apart. They may not be flashy, but the skills they get are absolutely necessary for survival. They may be boring, but those groups you're keeping alive sure appreciate those "boring" skills you get.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So in other words...We wont be seeing any changes to make a warrior fun to play? Last I saw this was a GAME, right now there is no fun in being a warrior. Dont see much of a point in it. Granted we do have the all-powerful skills of Hitall and headbutting, which totally negate all of the reasons you listed above for a warrior. Since both skills can cause the warrior to be stunned for the rest of combat or to be knocked out.
Useful skills would be a bonus.
Even some background skills we dont control, such as...at
35th level, A warrior Cant fumble a weapon.
Battle chants as I have listed...even a Warcry of somekind. You blast your warcry and for a few rounds your chance to critical goes up by 50% or something.
40th level, The Old Berserk.
The skills are by far from unbalancing anything. A warrior is pretty much the only one who suffers from weapon fumbling as it is now. Since they are constantly bashing and rescuing, and whatever. If they fumble their weapon, its on the ground for a while. Rangers/paladins/rogues, etc usually arent stunned until Christmas and can pick up their weapons. Its a small thing, but a no-fumble skill flag would be nice at a certain level.

Garosh
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Tue Aug 07, 2001 8:27 pm

Well said Kia and Zrax. Warriors are absolutely critical. While pallys are now also good tanks, I feel safest when a warrior is up front. That being said, their one truely fun skill, headbutt, is pretty worthless. Make it more usable. They definately deserve that fun for being the meatshields. I'd play a warrior if I could only handle the boredom...

Izzy
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Aug 07, 2001 10:09 pm

Yes, I have to agree with Kia and Hyldy that warriors are -absolutely- essential to the survival of a group in many of the zones.
Lots of hps, defensive abilities, shieldpunch, bash, are all part of keeping a group alive. But also as Kia mentioned, it isn't hard to learn to be a warrior.. it takes some work to be a really good one. Anyone who has grouped with Folur's gang can see a few examples of fine rescuing and revolving tank action.. those guys got it together.

That said, I think it would be a nice little perk if warriors became !fumble after a certain weapon skill level.. say.. hmm.. 80 wep skill or higher.

I'm with hyldy on thia one too.. if you're a higher lvl warrior and I haven't grouped with you, shoot me a tell. We're usually desperately short on them for well balance zoning.
Aderon
Sojourner

Postby Aderon » Tue Aug 07, 2001 10:16 pm

You should stay and make a ranger, we need a lot more of those.... Who needs tanks anyway?

Aderon

P.S. I love my warrior, it does a ton more than my ranger.
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Tue Aug 07, 2001 10:18 pm

play a class that doesnt suck, like some kind of mage. go on spanky zones. bid for twinky warrior gear. give it to your low level warrior alt. power level at will. thats about the only thing interesting with warriors. as long as you have pbone bash is pretty much !fail after level 30 if you use it often anyway.

why am i still rambling.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Wed Aug 08, 2001 1:41 am

Yeah, gonna have to agree with Kia, Rylan, and Hyldryn (which sends shivers down my spine Image). Warriors are absolutely essential. A zone group NEEDs more tanking classes than any other class, specifically 4 tanks as opposed to 2 clerics, 1 or 2 enchanters, etc. A paladin makes a good tank if they're mounted, but you can't ride into a room in a lot of zones and you obviously can't bash while mounted. Having one to act as primary tank and focusing on rescuing is a good tactic but the 3 or so bashers should be warriors for shieldpunching and secondary tanks that don't have to disengage and mount if the need arises. The zone groups I'm in basically take a second paladin simply because we need to due to not enough warriors being high enough.

While pbones do help with bashing, they're no replacement for high skill. A few weeks ago, Selah was bashing wizzies using a wt. 10 shield without failing. Against a similarly leveled mob, I'll fail a bash at least once every two fights with a wt 50 shield. There's also the matter of my exp table being balanced to take the extra damage from dual wield into account meaning that acting as a basher while doing exp leads to slower leveling.

Frankly, I find warriors looking upon paladin mounts or ranger spells with awe extremely ironic. All a warrior needs to do is strap on a shield for the same effect as a paladin summoning and mounting a horse and there's a reason my emote upon finishing a mem describes my spells as stupid ranger tricks. All the innates and spells paladins and rangers get are basically a collection of shiny object. Sure, every now and then a shiny object might be a useful object, but mostly they're just parlor tricks. Anyway, I've rambled on long enough and without any real direction for the last few minutes so I'll stop here for now.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed Aug 08, 2001 4:51 am

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
[50 War] Moctar (Troll)
[49 War] Dhurn Shadowforge (Dwarf)
[49 War] Zrax (Troll) (RP)
[49 War] Krolb (Ogre)
[46 War] Gromikazer Terrorforge (Duergar)
[44 War] Kolma (Troll)
[39 War] Atokk (Troll)
[36 War] Bodag (Ogre)
[33 War] Thakx Mung Corpse (Troll)
[30 War] Rud (Troll)
[30 War] Thalmak (Dwarf)
[29 War] Sabranth (Barbarian)
[28 War] Oggg (Dwarf)
[26 War] Goonga (Troll) (RP)

I wan't a goodie warrior right now!!! log on dang nab it hehe!!!
Hamibugan Sinweaver
Sojourner

Postby Hamibugan Sinweaver » Wed Aug 08, 2001 5:08 am

A good warrior is worth his weight in gold Kwirl. You complain about noone wanting a warrior up top, laugh, that's all we got down here. We just get to choose between Ogres and Trolls and they're both farking ugly, and stink way more than a pali AND his stinkin horse. Maybe you should reevaluate your thought process on this. Our prominent warriors have some spanky ass crap, that they and their groups worked dam hard for. Level 40 plus warriors at this point in the game being up are hardly over-dressed in hand me downs. I personally think the coolest thing about warriors is the amount of really cool eq there is out there for them.

------------------
That is all. Peace.
Hami

[This message has been edited by Hamibugan Sinweaver (edited 08-08-2001).]
Klurg
Sojourner

Postby Klurg » Wed Aug 08, 2001 9:10 am

Gimme a break warriors are FUN to play...
How fun is it to play a rogue and type circle every other round or a spam infernos and clouds as a invoker. When u can turn the tide with a good rescue or a correct bash as a warrior. The classes ive enjoyed the most to play is warrior and clerics by far and in some sense enchanters cause u can always be the one that saves the day for yer group.

/Klurg
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Wed Aug 08, 2001 9:43 am

I agree completely with Klurg.

Warrior, Enchanter and Cleric is the classes where your skill truly shows.
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Wed Aug 08, 2001 11:01 am

What, are you kidding? Here I am feverishly typing 'dual' every round trying to get all my ranger attacks... but it pays off.

How many times has my slash been the one that turned the tide I cannot count. Always the cheers and pats on the back, "nice slash, Vadian!" they say, or, "thanks, without your detect magic spell we would've been spanked!"

I also like to miss bashes on purpose to distract the mobs from the real bashers, I think it works...

Vadian the delusional ranger "No, really, they need me!"

[This message has been edited by Vipplin (edited 08-08-2001).]
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Aug 08, 2001 12:10 pm

lol :P
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Wed Aug 08, 2001 3:07 pm

well, since i started this post i should come here to comment. you have all made a lot of good points, and thanks to seroka here, and a few other good people - im gonna stay online as a warrior after all.

i think my problem was mostly frustration, i started this mud, and played for several years - as a conjurer. i switched to warrior soj2, and to be honest - xp wasnt really hard to come by for someone willing to lead monotonous xp (i was), and with the pride/wyrm taking me zoning - a flooded eq market, all was good and i kind of never roughed it as a warrior.

i dont want people to think of me as a quitter, or a whiner - because i dont think i am. ill rough out the nasty levels like everyone else, and ill be better for it afterwards.

see you guys on the big side.

-daz proudwolf
Lyt
Sojourner

Postby Lyt » Wed Aug 08, 2001 10:23 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Klurg:
<B>Gimme a break warriors are FUN to play...
How fun is it to play a rogue and type circle every other round or a spam infernos and clouds as a invoker. When u can turn the tide with a good rescue or a correct bash as a warrior. The classes ive enjoyed the most to play is warrior and clerics by far and in some sense enchanters cause u can always be the one that saves the day for yer group.

/Klurg</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I gotta agree with Klurg. I have been playing a conjurer for years and enjoy the class, but the class I have the most fun playing is a warrior, a nice big fat barbie warrior to be exact. In the past I would always play the conjurer to high level first, and after all the warriors were decked out I would start collecting warrior gear. Then it was a lot easier to level up the warrior. Warriors do make or break a group. And the added bonus is that you don't EVER have to mem Image I still miss being a warrior doing the 1-way rooms in Cave City with Diac and Thanuk. Man that was a blast. I still miss my mithril hammer though. A big fat fart at whichever immort decided to make it duergar only. Lame Image

Lyt/Vaaz
Keran
Sojourner

Postby Keran » Thu Aug 23, 2001 1:14 am

Dudes,

I've been playing a warrior for a long time. I have a 50 shaman before I ever even rolled my warrior. Then once I started play a warrior, I never wanted to play my shaman again. Just ask a few leaders. Soandso tells you "We need you." You tell soandso "Me?." Soandso tells you, "No, Toarn." I would always mutter and sigh. I think it is a warrior mentality. I want to be up front taking the blows, parrying, dodging, shieldblocking, bashing, and rescuing like a mofo. I just see it as my obligation to rescue the casters. They keep me prot'd so I keep them prot'd. If you're contemplating quiting then I think you're selling your class short. I know for a fact I can get a warrior to 15-20 or so alone, with very marginal eq. Without a doubt the warrior class was the most fun for me to play. Maybe you're better suited playing a different class? Try all things in moderation.
Blung
Sojourner

Postby Blung » Thu Aug 23, 2001 6:53 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Garosh:
<B>Goodie Warriors Missing in action will probably become a more and more common problem..
Main reason? They are boring to play.
Another reason? We see other warrior subclasses getting most of a warriors' skills and still having their other class bonuses, ie. spells, abilities, equipment(ranger specific, paladin specific, anti specific)
In the past warriors had pretty good Dual Wield ability, now that seems to be squat.
Warriors used to have the best bash, but with Pbones out there, most of the warrior subclasses bash just as well.
Now that I think about it..Warrior doesnt even seem to be the major class..I guess a warrior is really a Subclass of Paladin/antipaladin.

On the flipside, if there was a Goodie warrior type that had the regeneration ability of Trolls, or the usefulness of Ogres(doorbash and bash damn near everything), more would probably play warriors.
Or if there was something that would make the class more interesting, The old skills of Berserk, and the chants of battle and healing(Self Only chant/buffs)

Another change that I personally think is lame, is the damage messages. Basing it on what the mob has left is damn boring.
I miss the old school messages of..
You Slash your target very hard! (meaning you did 10-15 damage)
Your Slash hit the target with the force of a nuclear weapon. (100+ damage)
etc etc..

Instead we get to be amazed by..'You barely slash the goblin'
yipeee

Tag in the factor that pretty much across the board, weapons do diddly for dice damage.
Wheres the fun in playing a warrior if you cant tear something up?
Instead we use a holy sword of ultimate poonerdom, that does 2d7. Which for a dnd stat would be okay, but in a world where mobs have 32000 hps, might as well be using a toothpick.
Reason I say dnd in the previous example is..seems that most weapons seem to be going by that standard, though the hps of the creatures you fight dont.

Ah well, my lil spout, Summary of my Essay is Warriors are boring. (At least goodie ones) Any Evil warriors can chime in, since I dont have much experience playing them in the last 3 incarnations of the mud.

Garosh, wielder of Ticklebringer, the sword of Pooner. (humming) (drooping like a wet noodle)

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Could not agree more. Ogre and Troll are top rrace for warrior. If I have a choice of Ranger, Paladin, Anti or warrior. I would pick any of the 3 over warrior anything any day. Warrior are nothing but meat shield these day. Too bad evil doesn't have similar Sub-class. Image why not? Image
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Fri Aug 24, 2001 12:39 pm

To be honest...I didn't start out as my warrior this time because I couldn't bear the thought of requipping him on newish mud yet again hehe... *grins*...I'LL BE BACK!

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”