Names- Not a Problem

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Vylel
Sojourner

Names- Not a Problem

Postby Vylel » Tue Jan 30, 2001 8:39 pm

Ok, I am not and never have been on a first-name basis with any admins, nor was I ever elite (or even close for that matter) but I did spend quite a bit of time on the mud... actually, I think I spent the majority of my non-responsible time, and probably half of my responsible time on the mud Role Playing and stuff... all times of the day, and all times of the night... holidays... vacations... weekends... weekdays... well, I am sure most of you know what I mean.

MY POINT (finally) -- I do not recall any period of time that I could not find someone in charge who was on. I mean, how often are those that run the MUD NOT on?
I think the random name system is great, but I don't see where the fuss about not getting a name approved is coming from... I never had a problem to start with...

perhaps a bit out of line
(or just ignorant to the facts)

Vylel
Bibbe
Sojourner

Postby Bibbe » Tue Jan 30, 2001 10:38 pm

well everyone doesn't live in your timezone.
I spent a lot of time on the mud when no admin is on...
Though they are on even at our times now and then....

- Bibbe
Zuurn Shatter Skull
Sojourner

Postby Zuurn Shatter Skull » Tue Jan 30, 2001 10:46 pm

Yeah, I remember afew times I needed admin help and nobody was on, particularly when I would roll chars. That was before they implimented the code that restricted char. generation when an admin wasnt present though

-Z

Postby Guest » Tue Jan 30, 2001 11:20 pm

It is (relatively) easy to keep the game staffed between the hours of 7pm EST - 3am EST, as most of the staff live either on the east or west coast of the U.S.

That said, many of our players come from all over the world - where it may not be feasible to play during those hours. Also, the admin duties (such as name acceptance) are not shared by all gods - ONLY those who are in the admin sphere. No coders or areas gods deal with any admin issues. So while there may be a coder or areas god on, if there are no admins around no one will accept names. The admins try to have a real life too, so sometimes there's simply nobody around, even during "peak" hours.

--D2
gnerble
Sojourner

Postby gnerble » Wed Jan 31, 2001 1:40 am

I think one of the best reasons for having this code in place is that it allows players to create storage (or any non-main) characters for whatever reason, at any time of the day.

If you want to create your "main" character that you already have a name for, you will have to do it when an admin is on, but otherwise, this gets many players out of various binds... I can think of a time when a UD excursion got totally hosed and many ppl had to log, for the night. I looted 2 corpses worth of stuff. Being a halfling it was rather difficult to continue mudding w/out a storage character to temporarily hold their eq. No gods were on at the time, and I didn't have any alternates..

Now I'm sure there are better situations for that.. I might use it to create a spiffy new halfling name as well..

-Gnerbs
Harthorm
Sojourner

Postby Harthorm » Wed Jan 31, 2001 3:16 am

Gnerble, Shevy has let us know there's going to be no need for storage characters anymore :) That's one problem solved... sorry for the off topic post here btw ;)

Harthorm/Twiblin
Raiwen
Sojourner

Postby Raiwen » Thu Feb 01, 2001 4:56 am

Which message board or egroup message did Shev mention storage characters? I don't recall that information.
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Thu Feb 01, 2001 6:58 am

Try the Nud Suggestions board. It was said that there will be some sort of storage.
Harthorm
Sojourner

Postby Harthorm » Thu Feb 01, 2001 9:36 am

Hmmm, MUD, you mean :)

Harthorm/Twiblin

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”