When is a warrior not a warrior....when he thinks

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Ykor
Sojourner

When is a warrior not a warrior....when he thinks

Postby Ykor » Mon Sep 10, 2001 7:09 pm

he is a frickin hitter. Had the *cough* pleasure of grouping with a *cough* warrior today in Dk that thought he was a hitter (i.e., he refused to bash because he "thought" he was dual wielding MASHEEN!).

I was playing a "hitter" - read ROGUE and ended up tanking because Mr. Brainiac here could not grasp the fundamantals of being a warrior....now RP is fun and all that, and you are entitled to play your class as you wish...but when u degrade the value of the group - and up the potential for deaths from switches due to no bashing...park the RP, play the class is was built to be played....bash, rescue, spunch etc....and save that quality dual wielding warrior/"hitter" time for the sprites and stirges in Mir forest who will appreciate it more than me.

SnOrT

Ykor
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Mon Sep 10, 2001 7:50 pm

First question:
Was this guy newbie?

Second question:
Was leader of group not paying attention? If his skills were needed to bash, this should have been made known. If he was in fact the leader, then you went into it with your eyes open after the first fight. Knowing he wouldn't bash, this is as much your fault for staying with him. If he chooses to play his warrior that way, and you'd like to help him, explain to him the value of those skills he wasn't using. If he still chooses to play that way, either don't group with him, or realize you're going to be standing in front sometimes.

Now, assuming you got whacked on the first fight, then your choice to rejoin him says to me that you accepted those risks anyway, and you chalk up the first death to his mistake and or miscommunication about how he plays, and any subsequent deaths to your staying with him knowing he's not going to use the aforementioned skills.

If someone chooses to play a class against its strengths, that's their perogative, but it will soon be apparent that group wise, they will be much less desirable for this.

Gort
*kicks his soap box aside for now*
Gorkl
Sojourner

Postby Gorkl » Mon Sep 10, 2001 9:32 pm

Ogres can bash with a needle for a shield. My troll misses 1 out of 5 dual wielding bashes...course he is master =D
Jethrus
Sojourner

Postby Jethrus » Mon Sep 10, 2001 10:02 pm

This is off topic here, but gorkl was originally my ogres name on toril!!!!! I went to roll my ogre on soj3 and gorkl was already taken. Just want you to know that I had the name first.
Jethrus Monk of Yore and the original "gorkl"
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Sep 11, 2001 4:29 pm

Uh oh! Someone call the thought police, because there's a misinthrope here playing their character against the grain! Using different tactics from everyone else?- cuff him! Roleplaying your character?- you have the right to remain silent! How dare he not play the way you want a warrior to play in your group! I would have petitioned him immediately if he was in my group. I hope he gets his come-up-ance for breaking the cookie cutter mold for warriors! Viva uniformity!

Yayaril
Durilv
Sojourner

Postby Durilv » Wed Sep 12, 2001 10:50 pm

Ok, I'll try to explain this in the simplist manner possible, so that you'll understand.

I roleplay a drow warrior. No exceptions, period. You were in MY group, I was LEADING.
You didn't HAVE to tank.
How do you think I've been leveling anyway? I mean, my warrior is a higher level than your rogue is now.

I warned you that I don't bash before we started fighting, and you should've left then.

I'm not gonna stop roleplaying just so I can level your twinked out rogue alt.
Dinggle
Sojourner

Postby Dinggle » Thu Sep 13, 2001 12:17 am

with that kind of attitude you're time here as a warrior will be brief. i for one wont ever group with your drow, since after 6 years as a warrior on this mud it pains me to see people like you playing the class.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Sep 13, 2001 12:31 am

And we all know the rule whereas if you don't group with Dinggle once a week, your character will be deleted.

Yayaril
Dinggle
Sojourner

Postby Dinggle » Thu Sep 13, 2001 1:19 am

yaya!

that was a secret, you not supposed to tell
Durilv
Sojourner

Postby Durilv » Thu Sep 13, 2001 11:27 am

My attitute is directed towards Ykor, and I believe I have the right for it. Did you read his post? He's bashing me because my playing style doesn't fit his perception as to what a warrior should be. I know it doesn't, that's because I'm roleplaying my warrior to be otherwise.

Dinggle, I have a normal warrior. He's fun and mindless, but this character is more of a roleplay kind of char.
I don't really care if I get in big groups with my drow, it'd be nice but it's not necessary. I'm sorry that the fact that I want to *roleplay* a drow warrior who doesn't bash or use a shield pains you all so much, but it really is a fun combo to roleplay.

Some of you may say that Sojourn is based loosely on the Forgotten Realms, but if it wasn't for the Forgotten Realms, Sojourn wouldn't exist. All of the races are from the Forgotten Realms, thus, to roleplay a drow warrior means to act like a drow warrior would act. Drow warriors are not heavy bashers like trolls and ogres, and even with a pbone and a good bash skill, they suck. Now I guess you could roleplay a drow warrior that does bash but, where's the fun in that?

Let me tell you guys something, since I rolled up and started playing, everyone's been bashing me and flaming me because I refuse to act like almost every other warrior on the MUD. If being slightly original and roleplaying is bad, then petition about me, otherwise, leave me in peace.

My suggestion is this, read the drow books, they're very good. Roleplay a drow!

-- Durilv Aru'Druniir, the shieldless non-bashing warrior

[This message has been edited by Durilv (edited 09-13-2001).]
Dinggle
Sojourner

Postby Dinggle » Thu Sep 13, 2001 5:58 pm

hey bro, i dont give a crap if you dont wanna bash. drow are crappy bashers.

but shieldblock is an awesome skill that will keep you and your gorup alive, and longer. there's not reason to NOT use it if you plan to tank.

if you refuse, then DONT TANK
Durilv
Sojourner

Postby Durilv » Thu Sep 13, 2001 6:29 pm

Hey Dinggle, so far I've been tanking because I am the only warrior. If I was in a bigger group with a real tank I'd insist on him tanking.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Sep 13, 2001 6:57 pm

Play outside the box Durilv, it's more fun that way. As my enchanter, I like to use minor paralysis and melee my foes down. If you feel like roleplaying the halfling warrior who dual wields rocks, go for it- it will be fun!

Yayaril
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Thu Sep 13, 2001 8:55 pm

thought i would throw in my 2 bits, even if it is mildly off topic.

first off, let the guy play how he wants, what is the big deal anyway? hell, i play a rogue tank among other things... originality is fun.

second, i never could get the "all drow use 2 weapons" steriotype. just because the best known one does doesnt make it true for all... in fact, many of them in the books use 1 weapon and a buckler, or a spear, or javelins. but hey, however you wanna do it is fine with me

-Solotroll (tm) among others
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Sep 13, 2001 10:35 pm

You can roleplay whatever you want. Just make it known that you are going to function as a shitty tank before your groups get underway.

Understand that this is a fantasy game, but the hours that people put into it are very real. There isn't a single player out there who wants to see his group get spanked because their tank insists on carrying on some half assed roleplay idiom that prevents him from doing his job. If I were out for exp, I wouldn't group with a dual wielding warrior any more than I would group with an invoker that used all his magic missiles first or a cleric who invented some cock-and-ball story about how his character never learned the heal spell.

That being said, I hope you do enjoy your time roleplaying. I hope you find a core group of tolerant players who don't mind levelling slower in exchange for satisfying their craving for RP. I say this in all sincerity.

- Ragorn
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Thu Sep 13, 2001 10:40 pm

Cirath: Yeah, the two weapon fighting thing kinda bugs me as well. Basically it's taking a look at the drow warriors of one city, Menzoberranzen, all of whom are trained in one location, Melee-Magarthe. Menzo isn't the only place where drow come from or are trained. But we haven't really had any books that focus on drow from say, Ched Nasad or another drow city.
Durilv
Sojourner

Postby Durilv » Sat Sep 15, 2001 1:52 pm

Regorn, did you even read my last post? How is a group going to get spanked because I'm dual-wielding? A real group has a real tank (troll, ogre), a drow warrior tanking is a joke anyway.
Dinggle
Sojourner

Postby Dinggle » Sat Sep 15, 2001 5:18 pm

A drow warrior tanking is NOT a joke.

we have a good drow warrior, gazhad. he's not even decked out with the super high level warrior gear either but he tanks better than any troll. he dodges more, blocks more attacks. sure, he couldnt bash if his life depended on it, must be vit at all times and wear +hp rings and if a series of crits hits him he's a goner (as with all warriors now), but he does get hit far less with crits than any troll. hell it was his warrior (not even 40 yet), my 40 chanter, a voker, a rogue and a shaman for heals and we were able to do all the ship mobs (not all before pop mind you).

drow are awesome tanks.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sun Sep 16, 2001 1:30 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Durilv:
Regorn, did you even read my last post? How is a group going to get spanked because I'm dual-wielding? A real group has a real tank (troll, ogre), a drow warrior tanking is a joke anyway.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're tanking as a drow warrior without a shield, your group is going to have a very hard time killing mobs. If you're just tagging along for the ride as a hitter, it's not so much of a problem. Just know that you aren't as effective in combat as, say, a rogue.

I'm not trying to stifle your roleplay; far from it. But I had to learn a hard lesson a long time ago about RP... and that is, most people appreciate roleplaying as long as it doesn't interfere with their pursuit of experience or equipment. This is fundamentally a hack-and-slash game at the core, and unfortunately the classes are all pretty one-dimensional as far as roles they can adopt. Roleplaying outside that role is fun, but it makes you much less effective in the hack-n-slash aspect, which most people find more important anyway.

- Ragorn
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Sun Sep 16, 2001 6:30 pm

when he thinks.....*spit*
when is a warrior a corpse? when he doesnt think
more a response to the title rather than the content of you post
bite me!
THINK about that
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Sun Sep 16, 2001 6:34 pm

i think i know the warrior in question here, wasnt he a drow? find yourself an ogre or a troll if you want a basher, drow warriors arent much good for anything beyond hitting

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”