Idle Timeout

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Ormiss
Sojourner

Idle Timeout

Postby Ormiss » Tue Sep 11, 2001 7:40 pm

After finally rolling the stats I wanted just now, I took a short time to think about what gender to chose, while talking to a friend. Well, I'm sure anyone who's played here knows what happens.

I just wonder how this very short idle timeout has survived on a MUD that is.. well, almost a decade old? (I haven't played much here, not sure) I -know- a -lot- of people have had their time wasted due to this, it just seems to me like it should've been changed a long time ago?
Rynlaeis
Sojourner

Postby Rynlaeis » Tue Sep 11, 2001 7:45 pm

I've had problems with the idle timer as well.. it took me a long time to roll up my character, then I sat there in name approval for awhile, ended up idling and losing connection. It took me a week to roll up those same stats again. Needless to say I find this a bit frustrating and not suited for a MUD such as Sojourn.
gordex
Sojourner

Postby gordex » Tue Sep 11, 2001 10:46 pm

If your using a MUD client, try setting a tick timer for every few minutes.

Gordex - Gordex Travel Agency
Rynlaeis
Sojourner

Postby Rynlaeis » Tue Sep 11, 2001 10:57 pm

Well the point is here that this shouldn't happen in the first place. There are a few ways to sort of duck and dodge around it but it shouldn't be necessary, why cause the frustration in the first place? And what about the new players who aren't familiar with the system and wouldn't know to do things like check to see if the admin were online and such? It just shouldn't be necessary.
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Thu Sep 13, 2001 4:55 am

When creating a character, you can always select one of the generated names. Then you don't require approval.

You can get the name changed when an admin is on, though admittedly a new player isn't going to know this last fact.

Some sort of an idle time *is* required though, as there are times where no communication is moving across the net, but that's impossible to tell from one side or the other.
Ormiss
Sojourner

Postby Ormiss » Thu Sep 13, 2001 8:00 am

Did you even read my post?

The problem is NOT that there are no ways to work around this, there are ways to work around most everything in this world, the problem is that people who aren't specifically prepared to deal with it will suffer. Maybe noone here remembers having any trouble like this at all, but most people do when they're new.

I never suggested to -remove- the idle timer, but it's much too short.

[This message has been edited by Ormiss (edited 09-13-2001).]
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Thu Sep 13, 2001 8:41 am

Agreed, the idel timeout duration during char creation needs to be a lot longer, IMO.

During rolling in soj3 a few times, I have found close to the roll I want, pondered them a bit, then spewed when the idle timeout.. disconnected message came up.

Should be 3 or 4 times longer at least.
Rynlaeis
Sojourner

Postby Rynlaeis » Thu Sep 13, 2001 3:41 pm

Ormiss stated it above but I should make it clear that we're not simply talking about name timeouts here, it's just idle timeout anywhere in character creation, whether it be gender, stats, name, or whatever. I agree that it is necessary but should be made at least 3 or 4 times longer, and also it would be helpful/useful to have a line that appears during the name generation that tells the player whether or not any admin are online. But I repeat (for people who only read or skim the ends of posts), this is not only about name timeout, it's about idle timeouts in all states of character creation.
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Fri Sep 14, 2001 9:13 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rynlaeis:
Ormiss stated it above but I should make it clear that we're not simply talking about name timeouts here, it's just idle timeout anywhere in character creation, whether it be gender, stats, name, or whatever. I agree that it is necessary but should be made at least 3 or 4 times longer, and also it would be helpful/useful to have a line that appears during the name generation that tells the player whether or not any admin are online. But I repeat (for people who only read or skim the ends of posts), this is not only about name timeout, it's about idle timeouts in all states of character creation.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, considering that to mention the name generation part I *HAD* to read in the middle of your first post... well, let's just say that no, I'm not just skimming them.

You guys make it sound like it's a 1 minute timer. I haven't had that experience. Guess I should go try rolling up a char again.

Heh... just tried it, and it is exactly one minute (funny I should mention the precise time). Only tested it in gender selection, as that had been specifically mentioned. I assume it's the same time across the board? Yup... this needs to be changed.

[This message has been edited by Kiloppile (edited 09-14-2001).]
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Fri Sep 14, 2001 9:14 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ormiss:
<B>Did you even read my post?

The problem is NOT that there are no ways to work around this, there are ways to work around most everything in this world, the problem is that people who aren't specifically prepared to deal with it will suffer. Maybe noone here remembers having any trouble like this at all, but most people do when they're new.

I never suggested to -remove- the idle timer, but it's much too short.

[This message has been edited by Ormiss (edited 09-13-2001).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not only did we read YOUR post, but we also read this other person's post, mentioning a different situation. Gordex and I both posted suggestions for that person.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Fri Sep 14, 2001 8:28 pm

Boo hoo!! i idle timed out before i finished rolling!
Rynlaeis
Sojourner

Postby Rynlaeis » Mon Sep 17, 2001 2:00 pm

Kiloppile - I wasn't specifically referring to your post, and I wasn't trying to sound offensive, I was being sincere, I really did write that so that people who just skim posts would see it. Sometimes people just aren't sure if they're all that interested in the forum so they skim down, see something interesting, and reply, when they haven't really caught the gist of the posts yet. I was trying to prevent that.
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Tue Sep 18, 2001 6:57 am

Well.. I think idle timeout kinda dumb too. But only for this reason. People use it to "camp" in places where they should not be able to camp. This being against the rules of course.

Man that anon guy is good for a chuckle here and there tho.. being a whiner hater myself.. Image

-Jaznolg
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Tue Sep 18, 2001 9:58 am

Double post. I like to see my character name.. yeah thats what it is.

[This message has been edited by Jaznolg (edited 09-18-2001).]
Rynlaeis
Sojourner

Postby Rynlaeis » Tue Sep 18, 2001 9:53 pm

Well, it's not about whining, it's about rolling for two hours and then idling while you snatch up an ICQ message during the picking gender screen :) It's only a small thing if you don't spend hours rolling and then end up getting an idle timeout because of some strange reason or other.
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Sat Sep 22, 2001 7:43 am

Is it your fault or the idle timeouts fault? That is my point... this topic not really a valid post other than to whine or gain pitty cuz you made a simple mistake.

-Jaznolg
Galorion
Sojourner

Postby Galorion » Sat Sep 22, 2001 5:34 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Is it your fault or the idle timeouts fault? </font>

It's the timeout's fault. 1 minute is WAY too short of a timeout in character generation. Sometimes it isn't even long enough to decide whether or not you want to keep the stats it rolled.
Kiloppile
Sojourner

Postby Kiloppile » Sun Sep 23, 2001 7:05 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jaznolg:
<B>Is it your fault or the idle timeouts fault? That is my point... this topic not really a valid post other than to whine or gain pitty cuz you made a simple mistake.

-Jaznolg</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, that's totally untrue and offensive as hell, Jaznolg. For newbie mudders, a timeout of one minute is silly.

Someone complaining about an issue like this gives the staff an opportunity to fix it, for the next guy who logs on.
Rynlaeis
Sojourner

Postby Rynlaeis » Mon Sep 24, 2001 6:01 am

This is a perfectly valid thread and I'm glad Ormiss decided to post his concerns about it. No one here has said anything rude about the MUD or the staff, we've stated the problem and the reason it is a problem and the fix. There hasn't been whining here, just simple mentioning of experiences and testing. I hope someone on the MUD staff reads this and fixes the problem, it's not a really big thing but it would be a help.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”