MudConnector

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Kuurg
Sojourner

MudConnector

Postby Kuurg » Mon Jul 09, 2001 5:22 pm

Could someone put a bug in the ear of one of the gods about submitting an entry to mudconnector.com?
The sooner the better IMO. Then this ogre can mud from work over the java telnet client.

woo.
Werg
Sojourner

Postby Werg » Mon Jul 09, 2001 6:00 pm

I second that motion!

-Werg (omg I would LOVE to mud from work)
Ssarra
Sojourner

Postby Ssarra » Mon Jul 09, 2001 7:36 pm

If you have a computer at home on a static isp connection, I can tell you an easy way to mud from work Image
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Mon Jul 09, 2001 7:42 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ssarra:
If you have a computer at home on a static isp connection, I can tell you an easy way to mud from work Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm listening...
Werg
Sojourner

Postby Werg » Mon Jul 09, 2001 7:46 pm

.....so am I.....
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Jul 09, 2001 8:19 pm

...stay home?

Get your priorities straight people!

Werg
Sojourner

Postby Werg » Mon Jul 09, 2001 8:34 pm

Bah! Priority-shmiority! I sit here on my ass most of the day waiting for ppl to come to me (I work in sales). So it'd be sweet if I could bum around doin some exp or makin some plats on a slow day.

-Werg *Damnit, gotta CR, I'll be with you in a minute sir.*
Ssarra
Sojourner

Postby Ssarra » Mon Jul 09, 2001 9:00 pm

Now that I have your attention... a lot of fire walls leave open certain ports... 23 for example. Make sure of this first, or it won't work. Then, go to www.linkbyte.com. Download comsocks, install on your home computer. Run the comsocks config, I can't remember how, but basically, just set the ip's to your home computer ip. Leave comsocks running, go to work, using zmud or whatever, telnet to your home computer using port 23, then at the prompt, type in sojourn3.org 9999 and Bam! Yer mudding from work Image
Ssarra
Sojourner

Postby Ssarra » Mon Jul 09, 2001 9:02 pm

And believe me, since mudding at work, I've become the Alt-Tab King!
Ssarra
Sojourner

Postby Ssarra » Tue Jul 10, 2001 3:38 pm

Sheesh, not even a thank you, it worked, hell yeah, you rock? come on! Let me know if this works!
Vylare
Sojourner

Postby Vylare » Tue Jul 10, 2001 7:23 pm

I think it would be good to have it listed on the Mudconnector regardless, so that people who have been living under a rock and don't know the mud is back up might find out, and so that actual newbies might find the mud Image
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Tue Jul 10, 2001 7:24 pm

Ssara, Check your email! I dropped you a note after I set up comsocks this morning.
Ssarra
Sojourner

Postby Ssarra » Tue Jul 10, 2001 7:31 pm

That's something I haven't setup, that is my home addy, I'll check it in 2 hrs. Hope it works as well for you as it does for me, Enjoy!
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Wed Jul 11, 2001 1:36 pm

Works like a charm.

Thanks SSarra.

I'd still like to see the mud on mudconnector.com

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 11, 2001 5:17 pm

We will eventually post to the MUD Connector. We're waiting for everything to go in and be balanced (and crash free) where we want it before we begin an advertising campaign.

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 27, 2001 7:46 am

The ad is now up on the Connector.

We're under "Sojourn3".

Expect newbies (as well as reviewers) to be dropping by.
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Mon Aug 27, 2001 6:42 pm

Awesome! We need more players.
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Mon Aug 27, 2001 6:50 pm

Miax/whoever, you may want to update the Soj3 website news screen. During the day, when the Stats link is not up, the news is from pre-opening day. When Miax adds the Stats link in the evenings, the most current MUD news appears (May!). Someone could look at that news screen and think that the staff havent made any changes worthy of the news since before Soj3 opened.

[This message has been edited by Mplor (edited 08-27-2001).]
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Mon Aug 27, 2001 9:11 pm

The linkbyte thing is a great idea, thanks Ssarra.

One note though... Its a huge security hole. Make sure you don't have anything on your PC you don't want made instantly public on the internet.

------------------
Malacar - French kissin midgets, and damn proud of it. Oh yeah... My comments can offend you now, I don't care anymore. Have a day.
Rastinion
Sojourner

Postby Rastinion » Sat Sep 01, 2001 3:17 am

Thank Mystra!

I was just looking around for a Forgotten Realm mud and look what I found. Was really disappointed when the earlier muds went away. I am really glad ya'll brought it back.

Thank You! Thank You!
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Mon Oct 08, 2001 2:51 pm

I posted a review, go read it, and if you like this place I recommend you write one too!

On a side note, is there any chance the staff can change the news at the main page www.sojourn3.org? It is from May and it's very old, new players who visit might think this place is stagnant and boring. Perhaps it could be a copy of the mud news? Some kind of java interface that 'reads' the mud news and displays it, including the ANSI colors?
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Mon Oct 08, 2001 3:07 pm

JAVA bad.
JAVA slow.
Make it like he said, but no JAVA.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Oct 08, 2001 3:41 pm

*pat Gindipple*

Actually Java's not a bad choice for this... although it could also be made in C that would just translate the regular text of the news file into html, then have the web page link to that and show it. I know one mud that actually shows their who list online, I think the MUD just runs an update every few minutes or something like that.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Oct 08, 2001 7:43 pm

Just took a look at the TMC listing and saw a couple things that confused me a bit. First is that it says character approval unnecessary... which isn't true since names have to be approved. Second is that it says we have a skill&level based eq system... which is also not true. In fact, since I hate level based eq I would instantly cross a mud that listed it off my list when searching for a new mud... heh. Other than that it looks good! Image

Sarvis
Vylare
Sojourner

Postby Vylare » Mon Oct 08, 2001 10:45 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sarvis:
Just took a look at the TMC listing and saw a couple things that confused me a bit. First is that it says character approval unnecessary... which isn't true since names have to be approved. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the sense TMC means it, it is true. There are muds/mushes where your CHARACTER has to be approved. As in you think up a profession, background, description, etc for your character and how it will fit into the existing storylines on the mud. Then you email the admins with your application and if it is approved you are allowed to create the character you described (and only that character). This is almost always for pure roleplaying muds/mushes, and not combat based muds. It is a lot different from simply approving or disapproving a name Image

As far as the equipment thing, I'm not entirely sure. Sojourn's equipment system is neither level nor skill based, and there may not be an option to list your mud like that. Haven't listed one in ages, can't remember Image

[This message has been edited by Vylare (edited 10-08-2001).]
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Tue Oct 09, 2001 7:08 pm

NO JAVA!!!!!!!

Ugly nasty language ::goes on two hour rant::.

Actually, it wouldn't be difficult to write something that did that in PERL or Python that would work as a CGI script.

Honestly, this is one of those problems where it would be an honest mistake to use Java (though clueless business people love Java in just these situations).

------------------

Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning

[This message has been edited by Elseenas (edited 10-09-2001).]

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”