How Smart Are You?

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Blung
Sojourner

How Smart Are You?

Postby Blung » Mon Oct 29, 2001 10:06 pm

How Smart Are You?

Questions:
1. The maker doesn't want it; the buyer doesn't use it; and the user doesn't see it. What is it?
2. A child is born in Boston, Massachusetts to parents who were both born in Boston, Massachusetts. The child is not a United States citizen. How is this possible?
3. Before Mount Everest was discovered, what was the highest mountain on Earth?
4. Clara Clatter was born on December 27th, yet her birthday is always in the summer. How is this possible?
5. Captain Frank and some of the boys were exchanging old war stories. Art Bragg offered one about how his grandfather led a battalion against a German division during World War I. Through brilliant maneuvers he defeated them and captured valuable territory. After the battle he was presented with a sword bearing the inscription "To Captain Bragg for Bravery, Daring and Leadership. World War One. From the Men of Battalion 8." Captain Frank looked at Art and said, "You really don't expect anyone to believe that yarn, do you?" What's wrong with the story?
6. What is one thing that all wise men, regardless of their religion or politics, agree is between heaven and earth?
7. In what year did Christmas and New Year's fall in the same year?
8. A woman from New York married ten different men from that city, yet she did not break any laws. None of these men died and she never divorced. How was this possible?
9. Why are 1990 American dollar bills worth more than 1989 American dollar bills?
10. How many times can you subtract the number 5 from 25?
11. A taxi driver was called to take a group of passengers to the train station. The station is normally an hour away, but with traffic being extra heavy, it took a full hour and a half. On the return trip the traffic was still as heavy and yet it took only 90 minutes. Why?
12. How could you rearrange the letters in the words "new door" to make one word? Note: There is only one correct answer.
13. Even if they are starving, natives living in the Arctic will never eat a penguin's egg. Why not?
14. Which is correct to say, "The yolk of the egg are white" or "The yolk of the egg is white"?
15. In Okmulgee, Oklahoma, you cannot take a picture of a man with a wooden leg. Why not?
16. There were an electrician and a plumber waiting in line for admission to the "International Home Show". One of them was the father of the other's son. How could this be possible?
17. After the new Canon Law that took effect on November 27, 1983, would a Roman Catholic man be allowed to marry his widow's sister?

Scoring:
Okay, now comes the moment of truth. Count up the number of answers you got right, and find that number below:
0 right: Wow! Either you're really out of it today, or you're just slow. Don't try to do it again just to get your mark higher, it doesn't work like that. Why don't you go take the Level of Evolution Survey, to see if you deserve to be at this site.
1 - 5 right: Okay, you're not totally stupid. You could do with some work, though. Try to open your mind and be sillier.
6 - 10 right: Well, you're about average, for a silly person. You can stay on my site. You can think, which is a good think. Don't let yourself be influenced by the closed-mindedness of "normal" society, and you'll be fine!
11 - 14 right: Way to go! You're certainly silly. Admitedly, I got in catagory, so I can't that much bad about it. You are not mainstream, and you are able to see through much of the closed-minded society. Keep it up!
15 - 16 right: Wow! You're good! Congratulations! Keep it up!
17 right: I don't believe you. Either you cheated, or you have WAY too much free time on your hands. Either way, get a life! You've gone beyond silly.
Blung
Sojourner

Postby Blung » Mon Oct 29, 2001 10:13 pm

The link and answers will be posted later on.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Oct 29, 2001 10:27 pm

Okay, you stumped me on #'s 1, 4, and 6
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Mon Oct 29, 2001 10:58 pm

#1 damnit! what is #1??
I think i have all the others...

------------------
Rausrh licks you.

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 29, 2001 11:00 pm

coffin
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Oct 29, 2001 11:03 pm

Oh well pooh. That didn't make sense because lots of people pick out their own coffins nowadays.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Oct 29, 2001 11:45 pm

Why include the scoring chart if you don't include the answers? The only one that stumped me was number 1. I was thinking second hand smoke from a cigarette. As for #4, I think she would be living in the southern hemisphere.

Yayaril
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Oct 30, 2001 1:12 am

lol.. I got #4 right away Image
Yaya.. *nods* Australia would work

[This message has been edited by rylan (edited 10-29-2001).]
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Oct 30, 2001 1:23 am

I'd assume the answer to #6 is the word "and."

- Ragorn
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Tue Oct 30, 2001 1:24 am

I only got 8/17 correct Image stupid trick questions.

emote grumbles and walks off.

-Todrael
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Tue Oct 30, 2001 8:40 am

#12 was cool. but i heard it already from mind trap so it took the fun out. but i missed # 1.

here's one i remember:
u are locked in a room that has a steel pipe sticking out of ground. the pipe is about 2 inchs wide and goes down about 8 inches. the bottom is sealed with concrete. in the pipe u there is a 1 1/2 inches ping pong ball. all u have is duck tape, 1 foot of string, some paper clip, and a magnet. How do u get the ping pong ball out of the pipe?

ps this is from mind trap so dont think i'm this smart.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Tue Oct 30, 2001 8:56 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sok:
<B>#12 was cool. but i heard it already from mind trap so it took the fun out. but i missed # 1.

here's one i remember:
u are locked in a room that has a steel pipe sticking out of ground. the pipe is about 2 inchs wide and goes down about 8 inches. the bottom is sealed with concrete. in the pipe u there is a 1 1/2 inches ping pong ball. all u have is duck tape, 1 foot of string, some paper clip, and a magnet. How do u get the ping pong ball out of the pipe?

ps this is from mind trap so dont think i'm this smart.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Pee in the pipe, and the ball will float to the top. Nod me.

Twyl
Vipplin
Sojourner

Postby Vipplin » Tue Oct 30, 2001 10:48 am

Yeah, that's the standard answer for that problem (one of those think outside the box things). Of course, I think you could also fold the duct tape and drop it down in to stick it to the ball.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Oct 30, 2001 2:32 pm

If the pipe's not immovable, pick it up and turn it over.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Tue Oct 30, 2001 3:48 pm

1. Coffin
2. Kid was born before the united states formed in 1776
3.Mt everest is the highest despite having not been discovered yet
4.She is from the southern hemisphere
5.well if he claimed to recieve it after the war that would be flawed because world war 1 was not refered to as such untill there was a second world war.
6. stupid one .... "and" as in the word between heaven, earth in the sentence
7. there is a christmas and new years in every year.
8.I think there is a state law in new york permitting some political officers to marry multiple people, so she would have to hold a state office.
9.its refereing to 1990 and 1989 as the number of dollar bills not the date here.
10.once after that you have 20
11.90 minutes and an hour and a half is the same
12. the letters can be rearranged to form "one word" another play on words
13.There are no penguins in the arctic they are indiginous to antartic regions
14. both are wrong yolks are yellow
15. stupid play on words cant take photographs with a wooden leg as though the leg were the object taking the actual photo
16.they were the dad and mom
17.that would be difficult considering she is a widow making him dead.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Oct 30, 2001 4:12 pm

And here I was thinking she was the pastor/priest/minister who performed the ceremonies of ten couples.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Tue Oct 30, 2001 4:14 pm

i was pretty shaky on that answer so you may well be right, it sounds better than what i thought it was.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Oct 30, 2001 6:07 pm

I'd say she had the marriages anulled. That makes it so that it never happened legally... but it isn't a divorce, and would leave her free to marry again.

Sarvis
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Oct 30, 2001 8:02 pm

Most were fun, except the ones that required you to think of a non-standard usage for some random word, like "take a picture of a man with a wooden leg."

Good show, Blung.

- Ragorn
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Wed Oct 31, 2001 7:34 am

The question of marraiges(#8) could have happened in another country, making it possible and true.

Twyl

[This message has been edited by Tasan (edited 10-31-2001).]
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Wed Oct 31, 2001 7:39 am

feh.

[This message has been edited by Tasan (edited 10-31-2001).]
Blung
Sojourner

Postby Blung » Wed Oct 31, 2001 8:07 pm

http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/1915/smartness.html

The Answers
1. a coffin
2. the child was born before 1776
3. Mount Everest, it just hadn't been discovered!
4. Clara lives in the southern hemisphere.
5. World War I wasn't called "World War I" until World War II.
6. The word "and".
7. They fall in the same year every year, New Year's Day just arrives very early in the year and Christmas arrives very late in the same year.
8. The lady was a Justice of the Peace.
9. One thousand nine hundred and ninety dollar bills are worth one dollar more than one thousand nine hundred and eighty-nine dollar bills.
10. Only once, then you are subtracting it from 20.
11. An hour and a half IS 90 minutes.
12. "one word"
13. Penguins live in the Antarctic.
14. Neither, the yolk of the egg is yellow.
15. You have to take a picture of a man with a camera, not with a wooden leg.
16. They were husband and wife.
17. He can't because he's dead.
Wargo
Sojourner

Postby Wargo » Fri Nov 02, 2001 9:48 am

Heh you do realize that there are perfectly reasonable answers to these questions in non-silly ways right? Image

Yssilk

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”