Whatever happened to monks?

Stuck? Have a question? Ask here!
Tazad
Sojourner

Whatever happened to monks?

Postby Tazad » Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:22 am

It's been a while since I departed Sojourn. About 4 and a half years to be exact. Seems like a lot has changed since I have been gone! It's good to see some of the older players are still around. I recognize some of you and others I dont. My question is whatever happened to the monk class? Forgive me if this has already been answered. Damn, it's good to be back! :lol:
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:42 am

Monks, as I recall, were removed because they did not fit the 'Flavor' of Toril/Sojourn at the time. There was no Kara-tur presence and no real "Asian" or "Oriental" aspect to the mud and thus they were removed. Some beleive they were removed to make way for Spell Damage.

For one, I hope monks do not return. Melee is enough of a tangled mess as it is, and adding another class to balance would just add to the problems =)

Lost
Tesil2
Sojourner

Postby Tesil2 » Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:54 am

Waelos wrote: no real "Asian" or "Oriental" aspect to the mud and thus they were removed.
Lost

Then they need to remove Katana's from the game...
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Tue Nov 25, 2003 4:56 am

Please do!
Gurns
Sojourner

Postby Gurns » Tue Nov 25, 2003 3:31 pm

Waelos wrote:Monks, as I recall, were removed because they did not fit the 'Flavor' of Toril/Sojourn at the time. There was no Kara-tur presence and no real "Asian" or "Oriental" aspect to the mud and thus they were removed. Some beleive they were removed to make way for Spell Damage.

For one, I hope monks do not return. Melee is enough of a tangled mess as it is, and adding another class to balance would just add to the problems =)

Lost

Also, monks took away from too many other classes. They did more damage than any other class, even after being nerfed. So the ideal group became a warrior to tank, a sorcerer for stone, a couple of clerics, and as many monks as you could grab until the group was big enough. Which, since monks did so much damage, wasn't all that big. Hmm, druid for moonwell, so you can get the group places, and can well in (and back out) the thief when you need one to pick locks. Maybe a bard, if you need the gheal.

But nerf the monks enough so that other classes are useful for damage, and monks become redundant. They didn't do anything else. So, no good spot for the class.

But that was LONG ago, I'd have thought more than 4.5 years. Lots of other big changes since then. Have fun!

Postby Guest » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:17 pm

Removing Katanas from the game would be fine, but really would
make no difference. It is feasible that weapons from other worlds have
made it into this world. Rare, yes, but not unheard of. The problem with
a player class made this way is that everyone would play one, making
them not very rare.

If you are going to take out katanas, also remember to take out
wakizashi, tanto, kukri, kama, and any of those other items as well.

Bottom line, a waste of time.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:16 am

Out of curiousity, since they out of game, any chance of posting how much damage they did actually do? Just interested since everyone always talking about how much it was, wondering how it would stack up to Torilmud.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:44 pm

Based on a tiapet log, Dayn did 7d6 BASE damage (the damage dice for monks was apparently listed in attributes) with each hit and monks got a damn lot of hits in. Now obviously Dayn had some unique, shiny toys to play with, but I don't think it would alter his base damage so much as severely boosting hit/dam and having procs. 7d6 is more than what any non-artifact two handers I'm aware of did back in the day and they got more attacks than rangers (rogues and assassins weren't much in terms of hitters back then).
Innova
Sojourner

Postby Innova » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:54 pm

I believe a level 50 monk could get 7 attacks a round back then.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:49 pm

7d5 barehand at 50th, 10/7 heroism, 7 attacks per round hasted.

The "elite" monks walked around with a minimum of 30/40, depending on their hps/maxcon gear, some of the more fortunate had upwards of 50, depending on alignment/presence of artifacts.

(7d5+45)7 = 49d5+315. Bare minimum damage for 45 damage, if all attacks landed, would've been 364. Maximum, 560, not including crits.

So yes, monks were seriously overpowered. I suggested lowering the number of attacks to 5 to coincide with other melee damage classes back then but they didn't listen. :P

Deathmagnet
Berrin
Sojourner

Postby Berrin » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:40 am

I had a 50 monk named Lannor way back when. Monks should not be brought back in the form they existed there. Clearing Jot with 3 monks in a group was just too easy.

And yeah, average damage was about 400 a round if I remember right. 7d5 (7d6? I forget) then go 28hit and 35+dam (This is before equipment got better.) I remember you could one round yourself on shields if you weren't careful.

Berrin

Return to “NHC: New Player Help”