Observations from a new guy

Stuck? Have a question? Ask here!
Jack
Sojourner

Observations from a new guy

Postby Jack » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:07 pm

Ok I've been here for a little while. Leveled up to 20 or in Scardale and worked my way to Waterdeep. I can find my way to the Cemetary south of town, the Spirit Raven, DS and the Minotaur Outpost to xp a bit or at least look for people xping. (Some of those places yield no groups at all for a level 21 player) Yes I have been to BG and tried some spots that evil players were nice enough to tell me about. Players have been pretty cool and given me some EQ to start with. Thats all after learning the beginning stuff like scribing and training and stuff.

So I feel like I have crossed the first hurdles here.

Some observations:

XP is a grind here. Its a harder grind than most places I have played since there are no eq drops at very low levels and no xp giving quests readily available it becomes boring quickly. A good part of this is there are very few new ppl here that are new and the ppl I meet all want to hand some eq out but not really xp with me. Its quicker for them to xp with their epic eq solo than it is to xp with a new person.

Finding a group often seems very hard to do.

There is very little low level game, no instances to zone. Although this seems to change about level 40-45 I think. There lies a catch-22 if you believe the above. Even if I could zone it would be counter productive to xping as I understand it. There needs to be a bonus for grouping and zoning at low levels.

Also I have noticed that players hand out low-mid level eq, that is a real advantage at low levels, but tops out quickly. The epic eq tends to give high AC and HP's and is much better seperating the new ppl and established players further in survivability. For some reason you get judged on the mud by your eq. If its good, ppl let you join more readily?

Just seem to be struggling here. :P great place, huge.

Jack
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:48 pm

If you are goodrace, keep an eye out for Vigtok. (Can't group with evils cuz he is a barb). I'll xp with you.

Note: This is an open invitation to any of the new folks. If I am leading the group, I usually let just about anybody join. If I'm not leading though, I have to defer to the leader.
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:29 pm

I am running into the same problems Jack. What makes it worse for me is that I'm a drow. So, even when there are sub20 players on, they are not likely to be evilrace. In fact, I was on last night for a bit and (including me) there were only 3 peeps under level 20. I was the only evil. I know that playing evil is supposed to be more difficult, but the only real difficulty I have seen so far is the lack of people. The 'Argh! Too much light!' is really just an annoyance because I can make a quick trip to DK for some slave pen/Mir Forest runs.

Some of my observations/ideas/questions:

--Where are the quests in Scarsdale? Given my limited amount of time to find them (darkness only), I have yet to run across one. One idea I have is to let the bartenders or even the masters in the guilds give a hint to where a quest is. Newbies like myself shouldn't have to go too far to find the first quest. After going through one for the first time, then a new player will know what to look for next time.

--SD is ok, but it is definately slanted to surface dwellers. Maybe add a limited underdark area to the place? (or if there already is one, then how do I find it?).

--Lower the price of identify scrolls in SD or make them free and !rent. It is definately a pain when you run across a bit of eq and can't tell if it's better than what you have. Actually, everything should be dirt cheap in SD. It is a newbie zone after all.

--Is there actually a place to rent in SD? I always go to DK and rent at the inn there.

Help, hints and tips are always appreciated. :)
Zwathix
Sojourner

Postby Zwathix » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:31 pm

Ahem...must not have been logged in when I made my reply above...
-zg
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:41 pm

You can rent in SD 1 or 2 south of the fountain and 1 west.

The identify scrolls used to be cheaper in SD, but they made their way into the rest of the mud by the thousands. :)

How are you initiating your conversations with the quest mobs? I found some of the quests in SD just by asking every intelligent looking mob I saw "hello"

I believe there is an nderdark type area on the south side of town. I also think that the temple outside of town with all of the orcs should be !daylight.

Hope I helped, feel free to ask me in the game :)
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:11 pm

I must be really jaded because Jack didn't sound like a true newbie to Toril to me. But if he is, I hope he stays, Toril's a great mud. :)
Jack
Sojourner

Postby Jack » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:51 pm

Birile wrote:I must be really jaded because Jack didn't sound like a true newbie to Toril to me. But if he is, I hope he stays, Toril's a great mud. :)

What is a true newbie, Birile?

I dont understand the jaded thing.

If you ask around you get the same answers in differing form from lots of established players: Primarily xp areas - scardale, ssc, cemetary, minotaur outpost, ship, ds. Its a list I have heard from multiple players.

If you ask about what eq you should have at your level: (a good question because its not really level coded like WoW colors or something) you find that ppl hand some to you but dont really take you to the quest or zone instance. When asked about that, they tell you its really worthless and the eq was on the way to the auction house anyway. Recently I asked a player to repost some stuff on the auction that went w/o a bid. The reply was "I just put it on there to get rid of it" (note: the player, extremely nice did repost the item for me)

If you ask how to get somewhere, the first answer is general directions - the second is a speedwalk path. So you dont have to think too much or explore for that matter.

If you ask what you should be doing, the answer is generally - level up and get to 40 where you can start having fun. Dont waste time doing anything but xp till 40. (there are a few exceptions)

Now why are the above true? because there are not groups of new ppl to join together to go learn this together and it seems easier to the higher level ppl to just drop info and eq to get the low level new ppl to move along and get some levels to join the fun.

So you cant be a new person long here. You could laminate a card with the answers that are available and can be used to "jump" the learning curve if there were a more viable low level game.

Lastly, I dont think many true new ppl do show up. I came at the urging of my Uncle who plays this mud. Usually I play Wow or other graphics games. Toril is strangely like EQ in some ways. So I do have access to lots of info when I call my uncle or IM him for information. He made the whole old school thing sound exciting.

BTW my Uncle quit playing this week, my soon to be new Aunt seems to be AWOL leaving me to fend for myself now. :P

Off the subject.

You know someone told me today that the end game here is really a cool set of eq. Seems thats a common thing on lots of games. Then I read the BBS quite a bit and read Corths posts on guilds and artifacts.

Maybe the focus should change from EQ to optional PvP in guilds only... Bind EQ to players like WoW and get some war going on here! It seems to me after reading the BBS for 3 hours that the top end has stagnated a bit.

Jack
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:27 pm

Jack wrote: Toril is strangely like EQ in some ways.

That's because much of the original code and ideas for EQ came from this mud.

Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:14 pm

Brad McQuaid was a ranger here 10+ years ago. If you hear the name Aradune...that was him. A lot of the concepts and ideas came straight from here, although Sojourn (as it was at the time) was given little to no credit for Everquest's runaway success.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Jack
Sojourner

Postby Jack » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:28 pm

Haha double cool!

Kind of cool playing on the "father" of the massive graphical games.

Now you've sold me.
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:36 pm

Exactly!

Now, go find all of your friends and tell them that you found EQ's daddy and make them play here :p

Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:18 pm

Actually, I'd swear I remember reading an article once where the relationship was mentioned. If anybody could find a link to it, it would be great to include in a review on the mud ratings sites.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Nokar
Sojourner

Postby Nokar » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:37 am

Ashiwi wrote:Actually, I'd swear I remember reading an article once where the relationship was mentioned. If anybody could find a link to it, it would be great to include in a review on the mud ratings sites.

Here is what all I could find Ash

http://www.sigilgames.com/000003.php
http://www.torilmud.org/mainabout.htm
http://www.graffe.com/forums/printthread.php?t=27429
http://www.mobygames.com/developer/shee ... erId,67749
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Sel ... 7_118_9485^9488^9563^9599^9828,00.html
http://www.everlore.com/news/bradlog4-5_2.asp
http://vanguard.ogaming.com/data/435~Ge ... ll_ident=8
http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/archi ... .php/t-198

L8r
Rhoquinn group says 'Nok no wandering!'
You group say 'Is there any aggro's here?'
You flee westward!
You group say 'ummm guys?'
Rhoquinn group says 'Dammit Nok'
Welcome to toril
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:37 am

hahashahahahahaha

Sojourn group-says 'who's yo DADDY!'
EQ group-says 'you are!'
Aradune group-says 'are not! *I* am!'
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:19 am

I think the idea to make potions an scroll in scardale next to nothing or free with a little quest and make then NORENT is a super duper idea! Must be implemented @once. I know heaps of muds I've tried one of my frustrations was not knowing what anything did or what I should be doing to advance / learn the game.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:57 pm

Sarell wrote:I think the idea to make potions an scroll in scardale next to nothing or free with a little quest and make then NORENT is a super duper idea! Must be implemented @once. I know heaps of muds I've tried one of my frustrations was not knowing what anything did or what I should be doing to advance / learn the game.

Indeed!
Jack
Sojourner

Postby Jack » Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:36 am

That would be pretty nice. Would help out tons. Still. Recently I tried rolling a human and skipping Scaredale with starting eq. It was near impossible to do anything. Scardale is set up pretty nice and has good xp. There are little eq drops, maybe instead of buying the potions they should drop no rent on mobs? Have armor in the store and maybe a wider variety of things on mobs - randomly. Although the fountain really serves the same purpose.

I was given 10k in plat today. Cant find a thing to spend it on that will help me in regards to mage eq etc. I have a hodgepodge of eq and so many plats I am immobilized by them. (player quit and I inherited the loot)

Is there no economy based on eq here?

Maybe I should put them on ebay!

Jack
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Thu Jul 14, 2005 5:50 am

Uh rofl!
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:21 am

Is that one of them... virus thingies? Well, we'll just show them. DELETED!
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:50 am

Jack wrote:That would be pretty nice. Would help out tons. Still. Recently I tried rolling a human and skipping Scaredale with starting eq. It was near impossible to do anything. Scardale is set up pretty nice and has good xp. There are little eq drops, maybe instead of buying the potions they should drop no rent on mobs? Have armor in the store and maybe a wider variety of things on mobs - randomly. Although the fountain really serves the same purpose.

I was given 10k in plat today. Cant find a thing to spend it on that will help me in regards to mage eq etc. I have a hodgepodge of eq and so many plats I am immobilized by them. (player quit and I inherited the loot)

Is there no economy based on eq here?

Maybe I should put them on ebay!

Jack

There is. You should check out the For Sale boards in various towns, and the in-house auction system.

One thing that I find interesting is your continued frustration "with eq drops." Toril essentially has no eq drops. It typically loads eq at boot, reset, or crash.

In the old days, code was rather buggy, and this occurred several times a day. Now, it's gotten more stable, to the detriment of new players. Newer zones (and a few old ones) have altered their load systems to address this, but by and large this is how the system has always been, and there has not been a system-wide changeover.

I wonder if we should post a disclaimer on that.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Alabas

not true actually...

Postby Alabas » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:10 am

That's because much of the original code and ideas for EQ came from this mud.

Ideas: yes.
Code: no, none. zip.
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:38 am

Some nice observations, Jack. And welcome to the MUD.

Re: Observations from a new guy

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:48 am

[

铃声下载铃声下载手机铃声下载手机铃声下载
铃声彩信下载彩信铃声下载下载手机彩信彩信下载下载彩信和弦铃声下载免费铃声特效铃声下载手机彩信图片下载彩信动画
下载彩信动画免费彩信下载彩信铃声下载彩信铃声下载手机彩信下载铃声下载特效铃声

手机铃声下载铃声下载手机铃声免费下载免费铃声下载三星手机铃声下载免费铃声免费手机铃声诺基亚手机铃声下载mp3铃声下载

铃声铃声下载手机铃声下载手机铃声免费铃声下载手机铃声免费下载免费铃声mp3铃声三星手机铃声下载三星手机铃声特效铃声诺基亚手机铃声下载和弦铃声三星铃声下载三星手机铃声特效铃声彩信彩信下载手机彩信免费彩信彩信动画

铃声铃声下载手机铃声下载手机铃声免费铃声下载免费铃声手机铃声免费下载三星手机铃声下载和弦铃声诺基亚铃声下载诺基亚铃声诺基亚铃声诺基亚手机铃声和弦铃声三星铃声铃声下载 371m彩信midi铃声midi铃声下载特效铃声下载原唱铃声qq铃声mp3手机铃声诺基亚3100铃声下载联想手机铃声下载原唱铃声下载移动铃声下载铃声下载单音铃声搞笑铃声mid铃声下载手机特效铃声单音铃声下载和弦铃声手机铃声图片下载手机特效铃声下载短信铃声移动手机铃声下载手机和弦铃声cect手机铃声下载彩信铃声诺基亚3120铃声下载和旋铃声下载原声铃声下载铃声图片诺基亚免费铃声下载免费和弦铃声下载免费mp3铃声下载免费和弦铃声三星铃声免费下载免费mp3铃声诺基亚免费铃声手机铃声免费下免费铃声图片下载免费特效铃声下载免费三星手机铃声midi铃声免费下载三星免费铃声免费手机和弦铃声诺基亚3100免费铃声和弦铃声下载mp3铃声下载mp3手机铃声手机mp3铃声下载三星手机铃声诺基亚铃声诺基亚手机铃声下载诺基亚手机铃声手机特效铃声手机特效铃声下载移动手机铃声下载移动铃声原唱铃声下载手机原唱铃声下载nokia铃声nokia手机铃声下载nokia手机铃声搞笑铃声下载搞笑手机铃声搞笑手机铃声下载免费搞笑铃声下载nec手机铃声nec免费手机铃声单音铃声下载手机单音铃声下载手机单音铃声波导手机铃声下载波导铃声下载波导手机铃声nokia铃声下载tcl手机铃声下载tcl铃声下载tcl手机铃声摩托罗拉铃声下载摩托罗拉手机铃声摩托罗拉铃声联想手机铃声下载联想手机铃声联想铃声下载lg手机铃声下载lg手机铃声免费下载lg手机铃声和旋铃声下载
selerial
Sojourner

Postby selerial » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:52 am

Yasden wrote:Brad McQuaid was a ranger here 10+ years ago. If you hear the name Aradune...that was him. A lot of the concepts and ideas came straight from here, although Sojourn (as it was at the time) was given little to no credit for Everquest's runaway success.

Actually, if you bothered to look at the credits when Everquest first came out (by loading the game to the login screen and hitting the credits button) and then waited for X amount of time for the names to scroll by, near the end it said something like "Thanks to all the MUDs out there (especially Sojourn) etc.."

I thought it was pretty cool at the time.

Postby Guest » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:36 am

铃声下载铃声下载手机铃声下载手机铃声下载
铃声彩信下载彩信铃声下载下载手机彩信彩信下载下载彩信和弦铃声下载免费铃声特效铃声下载手机彩信图片下载彩信动画
下载彩信动画免费彩信下载彩信铃声下载彩信铃声下载手机彩信下载铃声下载特效铃声

手机铃声下载铃声下载手机铃声免费下载免费铃声下载三星手机铃声下载免费铃声免费手机铃声诺基亚手机铃声下载mp3铃声下载

铃声铃声下载手机铃声下载手机铃声免费铃声下载手机铃声免费下载免费铃声mp3铃声三星手机铃声下载三星手机铃声特效铃声诺基亚手机铃声下载和弦铃声三星铃声下载三星手机铃声特效铃声彩信彩信下载手机彩信免费彩信彩信动画

铃声铃声下载手机铃声下载手机铃声免费铃声下载免费铃声手机铃声免费下载三星手机铃声下载和弦铃声诺基亚铃声下载诺基亚铃声诺基亚铃声诺基亚手机铃声和弦铃声三星铃声铃声下载 371m彩信midi铃声midi铃声下载特效铃声下载原唱铃声qq铃声mp3手机铃声诺基亚3100铃声下载联想手机铃声下载原唱铃声下载移动铃声下载铃声下载单音铃声搞笑铃声mid铃声下载手机特效铃声单音铃声下载和弦铃声手机铃声图片下载手机特效铃声下载短信铃声移动手机铃声下载手机和弦铃声cect手机铃声下载彩信铃声诺基亚3120铃声下载和旋铃声下载原声铃声下载铃声图片诺基亚免费铃声下载免费和弦铃声下载免费mp3铃声下载免费和弦铃声三星铃声免费下载免费mp3铃声诺基亚免费铃声手机铃声免费下免费铃声图片下载免费特效铃声下载免费三星手机铃声midi铃声免费下载三星免费铃声免费手机和弦铃声诺基亚3100免费铃声和弦铃声下载mp3铃声下载mp3手机铃声手机mp3铃声下载三星手机铃声诺基亚铃声诺基亚手机铃声下载诺基亚手机铃声手机特效铃声手机特效铃声下载移动手机铃声下载移动铃声原唱铃声下载手机原唱铃声下载nokia铃声nokia手机铃声下载nokia手机铃声搞笑铃声下载搞笑手机铃声搞笑手机铃声下载免费搞笑铃声下载nec手机铃声nec免费手机铃声单音铃声下载手机单音铃声下载手机单音铃声波导手机铃声下载波导铃声下载波导手机铃声nokia铃声下载tcl手机铃声下载tcl铃声下载tcl手机铃声摩托罗拉铃声下载摩托罗拉手机铃声摩托罗拉铃声联想手机铃声下载联想手机铃声联想铃声下载lg手机铃声下载lg手机铃声免费下载lg手机铃声和旋铃声下载
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:19 pm

selerial wrote:Actually, if you bothered to look at the credits when Everquest first came out (by loading the game to the login screen and hitting the credits button) and then waited for X amount of time for the names to scroll by, near the end it said something like "Thanks to all the MUDs out there (especially Sojourn) etc.."

I thought it was pretty cool at the time.

Real and true MUDders don't play MMORPG's. I've never touched an MMORPG, probably never will. That dates all the way back to Starcraft, Diablo 1, and Quake 1. I play my consoles (NES, SNES, PS2) if I want something graphical. Anything graphical though, has an end...unless you like to torture yourself with the neverending Sim* library. Text-based games are limitless, especially if there's no "final boss".

My statement was based on the fact that the owner of Sojourn at the time was PISSED because of the huge success Everquest had and such a large portion of the concepts/ideas were taken from here. "especially Sojourn" might be a way of saying thanks, but the least that could've been done would've been to post a weblink to support us much like the MUD ended up supporting them (financially) :P.

Not that I don't have a ton of respect for the guy, don't get me wrong. Just think it could've been mutually beneficial for us if the information as to our whereabouts had been mentioned.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'

Return to “NHC: New Player Help”