Low Level Exp

Stuck? Have a question? Ask here!
Selvinos
Sojourner

Low Level Exp

Postby Selvinos » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:31 pm

First I must say that this mud has the most newbie friendly zone I've ever had the pleasure to experience. Scardale is perfect as a learning ground for newbies....but the early exp is not, at least not for spell casters.

Every time I log on, I'm pretty much alone. Even as a necromancer, at level one this can be difficult...yet I've managed to attain level three in about 2 hours playing time.

Most of my success has come from utilizing the use of pets as meat shields. Without that class ability, I see how the early game could be quite frustrating for new players.

I realized early on that my dagger was far superior in dealing out damage than my spells. It was better to keep the few spells I had in preserving and raising undead minions to keep fresh pets, than waste them on offensive spells that did nearly nothing in comparison to the time it took to memorize them.

My point? Low level spell casters either need more spell slots in the extremely low levels, or perhaps more melee orientated gear and/or a much more powerful starting weapon, to get them from levels 1-10.

I haven't found a group yet.....I know I will eventually, but the current system needs to take into consideration that most new players are on their own, and the majority don't have the benefit of starting as a soloist class. Because of this I see alot of newbie corpses in scardale where the equipment is just left there, the player probably gone to find some other less frustrating means of entertainment.

EDIT: This is definitely an issue for spellcasters only, I watched a level one troll warrior tear through scardale with ease.

Postby Guest » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:19 pm

You can deck out a caster with really good gear and level very quickly. But for a true newbie with out gear from an alt it is difficult to get started, once you gain a few levels it should get better I think, necros are a very fun class to play.

I too noticed all the corpses in scardale that were abbandoned.

Feel free to look me up as Bikbug dwarf warrior, hrm think I'm level 21, but if anyone wants to exp around waterdeep send me a tell.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:06 am

necros, invokers..heck they all suck at first. I remember dying 3x as my invoker to a stinking kooshie dog. I'd straight up love to see unlimited spells for 1st circle at least, and maybe even 2nd circle. They're merely cantrips at best.
Ifin
Sojourner

Postby Ifin » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:10 pm

Whoops wrong thread
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:34 am

Toril as it is currently built reflects the balance considerations of 2ed ADnD. Thus melee classes are more powerful at low levels, and spellcasters are more powerful at high levels. Obviously, 3.x stepped away from that thinking, and presumably so will Toril 2.0.

I'm not dismissing your observation, just noting that a fix is already in the works. :)
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'

Return to “NHC: New Player Help”