shield block

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Pabo
Sojourner

shield block

Postby Pabo » Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:47 pm

Was wondering why clerics don't get shield block. They are trained in the arts of wearing heavy armor, ex. plate mail, why wouldn't they be trained in the proper use of a shield? It would only make sense. It is availible to clerics in AD&D, and such. It just boggles me that I have to stand there and take the shots everytime. :x Especially when mobs *love* to target clerics. I know that I get dodge, but don't have that yet. We should just be able to have the skill, even if we aren't as proficient in it as a warrior or anti/paladin.
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:07 pm

Because if clerics got shieldblock, warriors would have to hang out with rangers at 3w.

Okay, zone time.

Tank... got rylan. He's more hps than a warrior and has shieldblock.
Stoneskin... check
Embodiment... check
nuker... invoker, check.

Who need melee again?

-Zen
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:24 pm

OMG rylan is the benchmark for goodie clerics now? WTH happened?
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Tue Feb 04, 2003 9:36 pm

Because clerics, like warriors, are a core class, and therefore can never be upgraded in any way :cry:
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:44 pm

Must be the uber ansi on my good-only hood ;)
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:55 am

Rylan lives in my state, and was the first name to pop into my head. That may or main not have anything to do with the brain damage inflicted by his ansi, or the seering pain in my eyes associated with it. I plead the fifth.

-Lorgan
Mitharx
Sojourner

I agree!

Postby Mitharx » Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:03 am

I do believe clerics should get shieldblock. I also think they should get rescue, and parry. why not? they can't bash and bash does a ton in most major zones, right? Okay sorry, enough sarcasm. I'll agree to giving shieldblock to a nonwar class when wars A)get a ton more war skills that actually work or B)get spells. You make the call as to which either sounds good to me. And I'm not trying to be a jerk here, I understand why you ask. Clerics are healer warriors and what not, but PLS PLS PLS don't ask again for another way in which warriors can be made more useless.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Feb 05, 2003 9:59 pm

They could always give warriors actual, working defensive skills =) and then they could give the current, crappy version of shieldblock to clerics in lieu of dodge. If, that is, you really want to give clerics shieldblock. Personally I don't see many highlevel clerics bothering to use a shield.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Wed Feb 05, 2003 10:48 pm

Bleh I live in the same state as Lorgan?

I'm moving post haste.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Feb 06, 2003 12:05 am

Yeah malacar, scary huh :p

Mori, we'd use a shield if there was something worth using instead of one of those orbs.
But I wouldn't give up dodge for shieldblock anyway.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Thu Feb 06, 2003 3:35 pm

moritheil wrote:They could always give warriors actual, working defensive skills =) and then they could give the current, crappy version of shieldblock to clerics in lieu of dodge. If, that is, you really want to give clerics shieldblock. Personally I don't see many highlevel clerics bothering to use a shield.

Heh, our defensive skills work, just not very well. And mobs do so much damage that it doesnt really matter if your defensive skills work, because you arent going to block every attack and any attack that lands does uber damage if you arent stoned, so its just a question of does the 3rd or the 6th attack kill you that round.
I think you would be suprised how many clerics would wear a shield if they had shieldblock, and Rylan, i gotta tell you that shieldblock prevents a hell of alot more attacks than dodge does:)

But every time someone suggests a warrior upgrade, the rest of the mud screams "Oh your a core class! Groups always need warriors, so you cant possibly need an upgrade!" And then they upgrade rangers:) So if i have to hear it than so do you!

Clerics are a core class! Groups always need clerics, so you cant possibly need an upgrade!

sucks don't it? :lol:

Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Pabo
Sojourner

shield block

Postby Pabo » Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:01 pm

I must be the only cleric wearing a shield. Was just an idea because right now I tank more than warriors in my group do! I honestly don't wimp out, I take the shots and heal myself until someone can rescue me. I mainly group with mages and a warrior type class, if I flee, then who's going to tank next, the magic user?? It's just frustrating that I stand there taking the blows with no way to defend myself what so ever, but I consider myself a battle cleric and I know I get dodge, but it would just make sense that I am trained to use plate mail or other heavy armor, I should know how to properly use a shield too. I just find it rather boring just to stand there and heal. I know i'm a cleric, and healing is what I do, but I like to try to contribute to combat. I actually wield a weapon and wear a shield unlike many other clerics I have seen. This is my first time around on this mud, so I dunno if combat changes drastically at higher levels where clerics will just have to stand around and heal. That is just the way I feel. I suppose the *closest* thing to a battle cleric would be a paladin, but they are very restricted on what they could do around the mud, that's why I decided to go cleric. Anyways, it was just a suggestion, no need to start roasting me over it.
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:09 pm

Malacar wrote:Bleh I live in the same state as Lorgan?

I'm moving post haste.

By God, I always knew there was something wrong with this state. I just could never put my finger on it. :P

-Lorgan
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Thu Feb 06, 2003 5:48 pm

Zen wrote:By God, I always knew there was something wrong with this state. I just could never put my finger on it. :P

-Lorgan

Its your baseball team.

Long live the Evil Empire!

Yankees in 2003!

rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:33 am

[/quote]Its your baseball team.

Yankees in 2003![/quote]

*bird*

Yeah thanuk, I know shieldblock is more effective than dodge, but thats mostly because of the skill level, and dodge is the last skill to fire. SB is what, 90 cap or something, dodge for warriors is 65?
I figured that if we were given SB instead of dodge, it would also have a low cap (for example 50, like cleric dodge skill) so it wouldn't do as much. I'd still wear a shield if there was something better than the orbs :)
Lazus
Sojourner

Postby Lazus » Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:14 am

Zen wrote:That may or main not have anything to do with the brain damage inflicted by his ansi, or the seering pain in my eyes associated with it. I plead the fifth.

Lorgan, don't make me take out and wear my pink and yellow gear again. You may have just asked for it. Fugly hat is nothing compared to the brightness of Lathander! *cackle*

Lazus - High Morninglord of Lathander
Saddam tells you 'Dammit, they nerfed camo. It doesn't work with sneak anymore.'
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:58 pm

rylan wrote:
Its your baseball team.

Yankees in 2003![/quote]

*bird*

[/quote]

its official!

http://www.theonion.com/onion3904/yankees.html

we pwn j00.

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”