Upgrade Rangers...

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:21 pm

Just a possibility for rangers. I don't think I ever got around to suggesting it... heh.

How about a terrain advantage skill? Basically we can look at a battlefield and pick the best spot to stand and whack our enemy from. Picture fighting a giant, so the ranger climbs a tree and starts attacking from a sturdy tree branch so he's at the giants neck level instead of hacking at it's legs. So we get hit/damage bonuses during a fight, but it only has a small (skill based) chance to kick in during any given round, and can randomly be lost... with less chance of that happening with higher skill also. It should also affect archery accuracy at least, since we can get a better location to shoot from.

Another possible implementation for the same skill might be to make it a special attack we can execute ever few rounds or so (like circle.) We could do cool tricks with it and get some more damage or a small chance for a status effect. Ie. Sarvis suddenly runs up a pile of rocks nearby and jumps at a pale skinned giant, swords first! His blades bite deep, surpising the giant so badly he is stunned!

I'm not sure the second version could be used with archery, but it would give us something to do besides hit a macro and walk away. (Though I don't do that... err... well once, but only cause my roomate needed a ride!)
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:04 pm

what about a skill that could be used to a hitters advantage...only tre hitter classes would get it though. basicly this would allow hitters to "find the chink" in the mobs armor alawing them to hit under the armor to do more damage(negating a percentage of the armor blockage to damage) one would make a dice check for this every round to sww if they make it...would also be used in archery......in other words a skill to make us crit more often....this would not be added for the warrior class for the simple fact that warrior mobs would get it to and the tanks would be PHUCKET. now you all are thinkin wow amolol is really stupid but hey i figure it might work a little better
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:36 pm

I suggested that awhile back Sarvis, but as a group benefit. The rangers point out the best places to stand, fight, defend, and depending on the amount of rangers in the group, your skills would get a multiplier. But at this point I think a more fundamental mud-wide change needs to be looked at (i.e. the warrior thread).

Belle
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:36 pm

One issue with coming up with sensible and useful tweaks to the class is that there just isn't much nature when you get to high levels, at least not in most important fights. Jot and TF have lots of nature when you're whacking on the baby mobs, but the important things are in !nature rooms.

Oh, and Sarvis, don't let the warriors fool you. Kick isn't entirely useless, it's just annoying as hell to get it high enough to a point where it hits about half the time. I think adding some minor effects to kick would go a long way, but as it stands, damage is damage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:08 pm

belleshel wrote:I suggested that awhile back Sarvis, but as a group benefit. The rangers point out the best places to stand, fight, defend, and depending on the amount of rangers in the group, your skills would get a multiplier. But at this point I think a more fundamental mud-wide change needs to be looked at (i.e. the warrior thread).

Belle

Heh... knew I got that idea from somewhere. :blush: Still think it would be cool in either implementation...

As for mudwide changes, well maybe there's some reason that can't be done. Ideas with this might help get those mudwide changes in a more piecemeal way. :shrug:

Trel: I didn't envision this as a nature only skill. There's certainly "terrain" even in a house... I could leap atop a table, or position myself on some stairs.... etc.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Adriorn
Sojourner

Well...

Postby Adriorn » Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:10 pm

Adriorn starts casting a spell 'summon ettercap'.

Adriorn completes his spell.

Rangers are now balanced.

Summon Danila might come in handy, but only if you're REALLY desperate.

Adriorn Darkcloak
Warder of the Realms
Dlur
Sojourner

Re: Well...

Postby Dlur » Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:42 pm

Adriorn wrote:Adriorn starts casting a spell 'summon ettercap'.

Adriorn completes his spell.

Rangers are now balanced.

Summon Danila might come in handy, but only if you're REALLY desperate.

Adriorn Darkcloak
Warder of the Realms

OMG you're still alive. ~

To stay on topic, I believe that while summon ettercap is a good spell, summon Danila would be grossly overpowering as having a slutty bard around is entirely too distracting. Nog me
Ghimok|Dlur|Emeslan|Ili|Zinse|Teniv
*~~~~~~~~~~*
"Censorship is telling a man he can't eat a steak just because a baby can't chew it." - Mark Twain
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Thu Feb 27, 2003 4:04 pm

Heeeeeeee's an ettercap and he's okay, he nances all night and he whines all day...

OMG Adriorn:) whats up mang
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”