Warriors: Core Class or Bore Fast ?

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:35 pm

Corth wrote:What exactly is interesting about typing the word 'headbutt' or 'kick' every few rounds? If there is no penalty for using it then its just a free damage skill that you can use every x rounds. The best players would be the ones that could write a trigger to do all the work for them. I'd like to see stuff like the 'grapple' idea that would allow warriors to make decisions during combat.

Of course the point about the lag wasn't so important as the skills mentioned. If you feel better, subsitute grapple everytime you see kick, headbutt, shieldpunch or hitall in my post above.

The point is, any new skills to the warrior class won't be used if they come with a hefty penalty of stun style lag. If I can't rescue, I might as well be a cleric.

-L
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Feb 14, 2003 3:31 am

If I can't rescue, I might as well be a cleric.

that, my friends - is the new image of the warrior class. how the mighty have fallen.
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Feb 14, 2003 2:32 pm

I think your wrong about that Lorgan. I use my other skills in battle all the time, including hitall. Hell CC is all about rescuing in between bashes, without wasting too much time on either. You can mix skill usage in with rescues very easily and effectively; the problem i really have is that none of my other skills are worth using. Hitall? whats the point? Disarm? Disarm what weapon? Kick? i dont really need to explain this one:) The lag doesn't really present a problem for me, its more the fact that none of the skills i could use while standing around waiting to rescue are very good, or effective.
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:25 pm

Point made, Thanuk, and I agree that the current skills aren't worthwhile, with the exceptoin of headbutt, wich does some decent damage. It's just a bitch how much you KO yourself.

While you can bash rescue, especially with a good team of warriors, in a zone like cc, you can't hitall rescue, and you can't headbutt rescue unless you've got some mad tanks covering for your screwing around. Aside from Kick, bash has the least amount of lag of warriors skills, but there is a period of time when you can do other things before you can bash again. That right there is my point. Warriors already have skills with massive to moderate lag on them, they don't get used.

A lag penalty for shield switching or something like that I can see as necessary, but aside from that giving warriors skills with stunstyle lag isn't going to help a ton.

-Lorgan
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Fri Feb 14, 2003 6:50 pm

Oh i definately agree that anything with more than 2 rounds of lag is completely useless. I think lag is a neccessary part of skill use though, so there should be some lag associated with using skills. Even if you had 1 round of lag where you couldn't do anything and another 2 rounds where you could use other skills but not the one used previously, that would open up alot of doors and i think its a great idea you have. I just think that allowing us to use multiple skills in the same round without lag would definately have potential for unbalance. Reasonable lag is workable, but hitall type lag is simply unacceptable.

Apparently you agree with all this and i just misunderstood you, so my bad:)
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'

You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'

Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'

You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'

Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Sat Feb 15, 2003 2:29 am

I had this conversation with sylvos and he had some interesting ideas. In terms of unbalancing, the real issue is that _some_ warrior skills have the potential to inflict stuns on mobs. IE bash and shieldpunch, while others are damage based with bonuses and detractions, like headbutt. (It can KO the mobs sure, but mostly it KOs you)

That said, the problem would be if a warrior could hitall, headbutt, shieldpunch and bash sequential and then wait 4 rounds and do it again. To borrow a term from Mechwarrior, that's one hell of an alpha strike.

So to prevent abuse, skills that can stun a mob need to hit a player with stun type lag, while pure damage skills would need a 'cool down' time. Bash and Shieldpunch should stay like they are, hitall and headbutt should have 'cool down' I would like to see any new skills added to the warrior class follow the same idea.

-Lorgan

And yes, the sun is shining in my imaginary world.

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”