Creeping Doom no longer Creepy?

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Emarin
Sojourner

Creeping Doom no longer Creepy?

Postby Emarin » Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:06 pm

When I started playing druid, I thought 'ok, eventually i'll get creeping doom' a 3 round insect crawling arachnid biting kick the non-wraith mobs ass. The first 2 months of having it was a dream. However with the introduction to Phantasmal Tendrils, more people going lich, and the 15% dmg reduction done to it, creeping doom just isn't that special any more.

Rot hits 3-5 waves, if you're a level 50 lich, you can mem it 6 times. That's a pretty significant amount of damage, not to mention it's also draggable. Phantasmal Tendrils although I have not seen, does substantial damage, and while it only hits one target (3 times mind you), the spell has other side effects/bonuses for the caster. What's that leave Creeping doom or druids for that matter? Most groups can just take an invoker to do more damage, a cleric/shaman to silence and vit/heal. An extra mage for gate/relocate to transport people.

Seeing though that my beef is with the seemingly degraded Doom, i am proposing a myriad of changes.
Note: Any 1 change would be acceptable, not asking for all changes to be accepted
1) add an extra wave to doom based on level, similar to rot. Since the spell is pretty much the same in many ways

2) beef up the dmg, or make the other spells do less dmg

3) side effects for doom, if you had a vast carpet of insects or arachnids biting you, you'd think one of them might be poisonous, the poison leads to a) paralyzation b) blindness c) poisoned

I'm sure there are plenty more ideas out there, some that i haven't touched on. Btw, for those people waiting to say play another class, I have a warrior and invoker, not to mention it just makes 1 less druid to well you when you want a ride to WD from GN or MH. Does not apply to evils.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:18 pm

8)

Rot has 4 waves, and in all, does less damage than creeping doom, and can't hit constructs or undead foes.

Against lesser numbers of targets, phantasmal tendril does more damage than doom, but fails to measure up against big group fights.

Doom is one of the most vicious area spells out there, damage wise, and is nothing to be trifled with. If you want some ideas as to how you can feel special as a druid and do things that others cannot, ask Lilithelle for some ideas.
oteb
Sojourner

Postby oteb » Mon Mar 31, 2003 10:02 pm

Or get a voker go to split shield and compare damaging power of doom vs inferno (said to be area fo areas).
I bet you will feel good seeing yer spell does at least same damage as staple spell of one trick pony voker.
While you are nearby pay a visit to grey cloak hills and compare yer acorns to force missiles. i bet you will be even happier.

Oteb -Bitter Invoker-
Emarin
Sojourner

Postby Emarin » Tue Apr 01, 2003 4:22 am

Bleh, points well taken on oteb and yayaril, thank you. Although fire seeds only does that kind of damage in nature.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:42 am

silly apprentice
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
jalahon
Sojourner

Postby jalahon » Fri Apr 04, 2003 9:20 am

Tendrils is a sweet spell, but it usually will not hit the same target 3 times in the same spell. In fact, you have to wait at points to recast it, or it will do no damage,

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”