Spiritual Friends!

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Pabo
Sojourner

Spiritual Friends!

Postby Pabo » Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:34 pm

I am very new to the shaman community, and don't have a totem yet.. but this is an idea I picked off of necro pets. I have noticed that necro pets have procs, why not give some to spirit pets based on type to make them a little different? I heard that all shaman pets are the same except for the name of them. These procs shouldn't be something that happens a lot but just to spice it up a little instead of just seeing the spirit kick all the time. Also as I know, players don't get a choice to pick a pet, and it's completely random, so that means people won't get the choice to choose the proc they want either. Right now I only know most of the goodie pets, so here it goes:

Eagle/Crow-Temp. Blind for a few rounds

A spirit eagle/crows claws wildly at a bandits face!

Elk/Boar-Bashing

A spirit elk/boar charges at a bandit sending it crashing to the ground!

Bear-Stun

A spirit bear angrily mauls a bandit, stunning him!

Wolf/Tiger/Lion
-Temp Slow for few rounds

A spirit wolf/tiger/lion bites a bandit, ripping through bone and muscle!

I'm not sure if I am missing any of them, I think that's all.

:wink:
Nekler BlazingWolf
Sojourner

Postby Nekler BlazingWolf » Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:18 pm

Cool idea, but unfortunatly people seem to think that shaman are already too powerful, so it will never happen.
I've been trying to get spirits to just have fly, but that was never heard of again either.

Don't stop thinking of new ideas though! Hopefully some of them will make it.
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:14 am

omg, spirits should so have fly, as well as innate pfg/pfa/pfc/pff/pfl so they can exist in the outer planes, they're not corporeal! They're SPIRITS!
Pabo
Sojourner

Postby Pabo » Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:19 am

I totally agree with the protections, it's just lame when you take a pet, including *ahem* undead pets into the planes. It just lame how a spirit or undead will be gased to death. I agree with fly too, when a pet moves from room to room, it says it floats, etc.. ok, so why are they landbased then??
Emarin
Sojourner

Postby Emarin » Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:18 am

while we're at it, why don't we make spirit stallion bash, and have its hoofs proc earthquake as they trample the mob?! Uh no, Spirits are already the best tanking pets in the game. With Stoneskin, dscales, barkskin, and vit, they are almost as good as your local level 50 warrior, and you now want to add procs/prots/and skills. PUH-LEASE! I already think that spirits are way too good seeing how you can plevel and twink with just an invoker as a companion.

Let's upgrade those local warriors first, before everyone goes shaman and groups consist primarily spirits and ghealers.
Dartan tells you '*roll*'
Nekler BlazingWolf
Sojourner

Postby Nekler BlazingWolf » Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:09 am

Emarin, have you played a shaman to lvl 50?
If you have, then you know dscales doesn't work on spirits, and thanks to recent changes, neither does blur.
Spirits are a hefty pet, I'll admit that. Without globe though, it toasts itself on any mage mob, and most warrior mobs worth trying to kill hit through stone or chip it off in three rounds.
Spirits are no where close to what they were on toril, or even sojourn2. PC tanks are way more useful now then what they ever were, yet they do need more. The ideas here do not take anything away from pc tanks at all. The might however give us shaman more reason to summon them on groups if we need more damage/another rescuer and can't get another hitter/tank.
At the most, it might allow us bored shaman to do something for ourselves, however small, rather then sitting around at 1w. Don't see many warriors sitting there (not counting rangers, hehe) after a recent boot.

If you think spirits are too powerful, look at other classes pets. I've never played a necro or a mentalist, but it seems that a necro with one ghoul, and two wraiths could do a hell of a lot of damage. Ghoul tanks, one wraith heals if needed, other wraith and necro cast damage.
Elementalist have unlimited pets. The hps arn't huge, but with stone, ward, pwb, and so on, I wouldn't think they would have to be.
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:32 pm

I agree with fly for spirts. Sucks having to ask the already overloaded enchanter to fly your spirit.

Prots are really not an issue as you get them when you get your spirit. Just don't forget to prot them. Only issue I see here is that giving the spirit anything to carry or wear encombers them seriously. As a result if you need PFF from an item it is hard to have them wear an earring because it causes movement issues.

I would like to see that changed. You can't even have them carry a lit ration!

Don't even get me started on globes for spirits. Enchanters love grouping with me.

You tell overworked enchanter X "hey you mind globing my spirit?"

Overworked Enchanter X tells you "Your kidding right?"

You tell overworked Enchanter X "Um no."

Overworked Enchanter X Grumbles.

Overworked Enchanter X does not globe the spirit Tiger.

Luckily most of the Enchanters I group with have been rescued more than once by my Tiger so they are usually willing to throw a globe on him.

As far as innate skills for spirits, I like the idea but you would find that some shaman would level up to 21, find out what spirit they got, and then level up another shaman to get the spirit with the skill they want.

Depok
Bilraex
Sojourner

Postby Bilraex » Wed Apr 09, 2003 1:58 pm

Some nice ideas, but you wont see it on this mud.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:05 pm

Fly on spirits would be a pain for !fly areas. We've got a way to put people and mobs in the air, but bringing them back down is another matter. A shaman spell that only works on their spirit enabling them to fly would be a better solution I think. Sometimes you want those pets to get through one way rooms.

As for the original idea, in addition to the problem of being totally random and hence likely causing people to reroll new shaman til they get the spirit they want, many of the suggested effects are not things shaman can do. In some cases, you're talking about giving effects attached to mage spells to a pet that already expands the abilities of the class beyond its skills and spells. The class can blind and stun mobs through spells, but can't slow or bash a single target. If new abilities are going to be tacked on to a pet that can already do things beyond the scope of its controller, they should probably be low level effects that the shaman could do themselves if they wanted to bother praying and casting the spells.

Oh, and spirits are wraithform and hence !bash. I doubt that something that you pass through when attempting to bash would be able to ever do it back to you no matter how hard they push :p
Pabo
Sojourner

Postby Pabo » Wed Apr 09, 2003 8:00 pm

If pets are !bash, then how do shaman spiritual spells connect?? :P
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Thu Apr 10, 2003 5:19 am

A summoned monster's "spirit" targeted by various spirit spells would likely be the bond to whatever plane or realm they draw power from just as a prime material native creature's soul or spirit binds them to more spiritual planes of existence. Most magically summoned or created creatures retain a link to their home plane. They aren't always killed when they die on the prime material, some just lose their body on the prime material (or another non-native plane they're on) and reform back home. This link is a weak spot for many creatures. Various undead affecting spells often disrupt the link to the negative energy plane and bad things happen if something severs the silver cord attached to all non-native travelers of the Astral plane. You don't need a corporeal body for spells to affect the bond to another plane, having that link attacked is nasty no matter what.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:17 am

Nekler BlazingWolf wrote:Emarin, have you played a shaman to lvl 50?
If you have, then you know dscales doesn't work on spirits, and thanks to recent changes, neither does blur.
Spirits are a hefty pet, I'll admit that. Without globe though, it toasts itself on any mage mob, and most warrior mobs worth trying to kill hit through stone or chip it off in three rounds.
Spirits are no where close to what they were on toril, or even sojourn2. PC tanks are way more useful now then what they ever were, yet they do need more. The ideas here do not take anything away from pc tanks at all. The might however give us shaman more reason to summon them on groups if we need more damage/another rescuer and can't get another hitter/tank.
At the most, it might allow us bored shaman to do something for ourselves, however small, rather then sitting around at 1w. Don't see many warriors sitting there (not counting rangers, hehe) after a recent boot.

If you think spirits are too powerful, look at other classes pets. I've never played a necro or a mentalist, but it seems that a necro with one ghoul, and two wraiths could do a hell of a lot of damage. Ghoul tanks, one wraith heals if needed, other wraith and necro cast damage.
Elementalist have unlimited pets. The hps arn't huge, but with stone, ward, pwb, and so on, I wouldn't think they would have to be.

have YOU played a shaman to 50?
shaman pets already deal a good amount of damage (try soloing w/ one or going to arena with one). if your pet dies to coldshield u should have healed it or left it in a diff room. i see people use their shaman pets all the time w/out these proposed changes. also if you compare one class's pets to another you should be comparing the classes themselves too.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Emarin
Sojourner

Postby Emarin » Thu Apr 10, 2003 7:32 am

Nekler BlazingWolf wrote:Emarin, have you played a shaman to lvl 50?

My mistake about the dscale/blur. Still assuming it takes 3 rounds for stone to chip off, is plenty of time for the mobs to engage the spirit. From there you can re-stone, and heal the spirit, while people nuke away. Do I think lich pets can get cheap? Not entirely. They don't do nearly as much damage as the actual PC, but 3 extra guys for the mob to go through allows for some nukeage. I haven't really had a chance to see what an elementalist can do, but if lili pwb's 4 rooms of manscorps, nuff said. Druid treant, does not even come close to a spirit, or mental, or necro/lich pet. Yes, it does bash giants, for that I love them, but they can't tank. I just honestly think that no pets need an upgrade, and the focus should be on PC tanks.

BTW, find me a shaman that's sitting at 1w after boot... Only reason why they might be there, is a) they don't know where to check for rares b) they don't have gheal (in which they were probably xp'ing to begin with) c) they are compiling a group that's meeting at 1w or d) they're champions of camping/afk at 1w.
Dartan tells you '*roll*'
Nekler BlazingWolf
Sojourner

Postby Nekler BlazingWolf » Thu Apr 10, 2003 12:12 pm

Yes Dalar, I have played a shaman to 50. I may not be the greatest shaman there ever was, but I'd like to think I'm pretty good at what I do. Yes, spirits deal a good amount of damage, I know that. I can only do so much healing, otherwise you don't do any damage and it takes ages to kill anything. Leaving it in a diffrent room is just like saying its useless, so there is no point in even summoning it. I do see shaman use pets all the time, as a hitter in very small groups, or as a tank for themselves when they solo. I for one would prefer a pc tank over a spirit tank any day. The ideas posted might make spirits more useful in soloing, but also more useful then they are in larger groups. In large groups now, the most I use my spirit for is emergency purposes, or for fodder. Areas wipe spirits out quick, and without being able to buff them up with spells anymore, you get a few mobs on one and it dies rather quick. As for compairing diffrent classes pets and the pet makers class.. I sort of did that.
Oh, and the procs listed in the first post are basicly every thing a shaman can do anyway. We can bash(bodyslam), stun(although greatly reduced now), blind, and slow.

Emarin, yes you can re-stone and heal the spirit at that time and have other people nuke.. if you yourself arn't busy trying to hex/silence/gheal/stun/ect.
Lich pets I know are hard to get at first, but it just takes time to pile up corpses you can use. With corpse glammer, now a lich can take a whole lotta corpses with him now that wasn't possible before. I'm also assuming that a lich isn't gonna let his pets die if he can help it, ordering them to flee out, get to a safe area, and spam heal undead on everything.
As for elementalists, I've pretty much stated how that works. Unlimited pets, pwb, ward for when they need it, and if the elementalist gets hurt, flee to a safe area, embody themselves, dispel, repeat until healed fully.

As for finding a shaman at 1w after boot.. an hour after the crash list night, give or take ten minutes, I was at 1w. Not a tell one to join any groups, and there were only five zoneable shaman on, three of them were lvl 50, other two were 42-47. Two of the five were ungrouped.

I guess over all, this is pretty much pointless to discuss as in my first post I said nothing would ever come of these ideas, and guess what? No reply from any staff member, so we know where this is going. Round file anyone?
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Thu Apr 10, 2003 1:20 pm

I love my spirit. I use him all the time in zones. He still tanks well without Blur (the only spell that he lost) and I frequently get spirits with 600+ hps unvitted (800+ happens now and again as well). My spirit frequently outlasts the invokers in our groups.

I use my spirit to rescue a lot. There have been many many times in zones when I would have been dead if not for the tiger.

Like I said b4 there are two pains, 1. globes for pets suck. 2. Fly for pets suck.

Other than that they rock.

Who cares about other pets.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Apr 12, 2003 7:05 pm

I miss the old 2500hps spirits :wink:
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”