Traps

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Mogoen
Sojourner

Traps

Postby Mogoen » Sat Apr 12, 2003 7:05 pm

Kinda disappointed at the level of viciousness and creativity of traps. It seems so one-dimensional..you either get poisoned or suffer some mortal wounds that would at most make you flinch (except for flyhelm one..so I've heard). At anyrate, your group/help is within eyesight to provide assistance should you run into trouble. The "oh shit" factor when you set off trap is very low or non-existent.

Just throwing out a few ideas on traps..

Combo- major para/poison...wicked!
Combo- blind/teleport...that would be fun!
Dragon breath..
Group random teleport
Etc..

There's an army of rogues on this mud. Have some fun with us :P
moritheil
Sojourner

Re: Traps

Postby moritheil » Sat Apr 12, 2003 7:22 pm

Mogoen wrote:Kinda disappointed at the level of viciousness and creativity of traps. It seems so one-dimensional..you either get poisoned or suffer some mortal wounds that would at most make you flinch (except for flyhelm one..so I've heard). At anyrate, your group/help is within eyesight to provide assistance should you run into trouble. The "oh shit" factor when you set off trap is very low or non-existent.

Just throwing out a few ideas on traps..

Combo- major para/poison...wicked!
Combo- blind/teleport...that would be fun!
Dragon breath..
Group random teleport
Etc..

There's an army of rogues on this mud. Have some fun with us :P

You know not what you ask. I have heard...

Well, you might be regretting what you wished for.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Nekler BlazingWolf
Sojourner

Postby Nekler BlazingWolf » Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:25 am

What you mentioned is doable. People tend to bitch though when they die in one hit, or it takes forever to detect and disarm the trap, or if the only rogue in the group gets sent to some room and they arn't able to get into an exit/chest.

But.. since you asked for it, you might wanna go practice disarm/detect trap some more. ;)
Mogoen
Sojourner

Postby Mogoen » Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:32 am

Nekler BlazingWolf wrote:...you might wanna go practice disarm/detect trap some more. ;)

Bah! But isn't it part of a rogues repetoire of skill he should excel in already?
Nekler BlazingWolf
Sojourner

Postby Nekler BlazingWolf » Sun Apr 13, 2003 5:28 am

Should excel in, yes.
You'd be amazed at how many never practice it.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:46 am

"The "oh shit" factor when you set off trap is very low or non-existent. "

You obviously haven't come across a few of the ones I've set off puttering around. Getting hit with venom for picking up an item on the ground hurts BAD :shock:
Mogoen
Sojourner

Postby Mogoen » Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:14 pm

Treladian wrote:You obviously haven't come across a few of the ones I've set off puttering around. Getting hit with venom for picking up an item on the ground hurts BAD :shock:

easily solved...
A buckskin pack (carried) :
a mottled brown leaf
[10] a potion of life
[2] a vial of milky white liquid
[12] a hollow mandrake root filled with venom
a vial of slow poison
[15] a vial of poison
a bright green potion
[6] a set of shiny lockpicks
[4] a disguise kit
[17] Tweed's Effervescent Elixir of Elimination
a potion of manticore milk
a cloth smeared with poison
[9] a vial of greasy green liquid
[3] a book (glowing)
[19] a thin vial of murky green liquid
a clay pot of thick black goo

Its understandable if your not in our line of work not to be carrying around these first-aid kits.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:48 pm

I'd love to see some more interesting forms of traps. Teleport traps would be fun, although I'd rather see a trap that turned us into newts or something like that. How about a trap that turned you into a fish so you had innate WB, but couldn't breath out of water? How about a trap that randomly teleported both the rogue and the chest to another room anywhere on prime, like cleric primeshifting roulette? A trap that released a random aggro critter each time the rogue set it off? A trap which spewed acid which worked like acid dragonbreath, eating gear if you're not protted? A trap which was poisoned with laughing gas, which caused the rogue to break out into random bouts of hysterical laughter, breaking both sneak and hide and trashing their offensive and defensive skills for a random amount of time after breathing it?

Bring on the rogue banes!
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:54 pm

"Its understandable if your not in our line of work not to be carrying around these first-aid kits."

Actually, I did survive that little lesson regarding music boxes lying on the ground 8) After a scorps trip where a cleric couldn't get it through his head that asking your vitter for slow poison doesn't do much good if said vitter is a druid or shaman, I learned to carry tweeds around. But there was plenty of "Oh shit" factor as I tried to remember if I had used all of mine up yet or if I still had one left :shock:
Nekler BlazingWolf
Sojourner

Postby Nekler BlazingWolf » Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:07 pm

Only thing I can say about scorps as a shaman is that just because I don't get the spell slow poison, doesn't mean I can't have remove poisons memed and watch for people that get stung.
It also doesn't mean you can't carry around a purple earthstone ring to use for scorps trips.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:52 pm

"It also doesn't mean you can't carry around a purple earthstone ring to use for scorps trips."

The SECOND thing I did after that nasty trip was to go do vault just to bid on the purple earthy :p

Yeah, could have just smote the commander easily but I couldn't resist the chance to comment about having to grab a sack and then rub something throbbing to get out of a zone.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:46 am

imho, traps are retarded. all they do is screw people up the first time in a zone and make rogues a necessity every time after.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:47 pm

8)

Traps in DnD make rogues useful, but if there is no rogue, makes the party more careful and suffer a little bit more.

Frankly, I think traps that have infinite charges need to change. If someone wants to take a boulder to the head to open a trapped door, then they should be allowed to.

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”