RP, Prestige, Titles, and Restrings...with a twist

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Vandic
Sojourner

RP, Prestige, Titles, and Restrings...with a twist

Postby Vandic » Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:28 pm

I've already shared this idea with some people individually, so if this looks like leftovers to you, sorry. However, I wanted to bounce the idea off of everyone who's interested, so here goes.

If my understanding of the current title system is correct, you can obtain one in one of two ways: (a) joining a guild and meeting their title criteria (if any) or (b) reaching level 50 and writing an RP story that must be approved by, well, whoever's in charge of approving them.

Now here's the twist.

Suppose that, instead of using the level 50 + approved RP story to receive a title, the same criteria could be used to allow each player one restrung item. This idea is still very much in the formative stage, so here are some additional details/possible extra requirements that might make it more feasible:

1. One item limit per character. You can't have more than one title, so I'd assume the same limit should apply to this.

2. The twink factor would be cut down by including the level 50 requirement.

3. This could require additional costs/stipulations, depending on how the idea is received. Those additional costs could be things like extra eq, prestige points, having to actually conduct an RP session that mimics the story line, or any combination of these and others I can't think of right now.

Since I brought myself out of semi-retirement, I've really begun to enjoy focusing on the RP aspect of the game. I'd like to be able to reflect that RP personality not only in how I act/sound, but also to some degree in how I appear. On the flip side, there are a finite number of options available among the existing eq that are also practical for the 'go zoning hack-and-slash' aspects of the mud. Sure, you could have the ranger with his all-green getup, or Pinky with his - well, pink stuff - but how many people who have eq/outfits for those RP personae wear them all the time?

Feedback, positive and negative, is definitely appreciated on this...as long as it's constructive either way.

Okay, I should get back to work now :?

-V
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:50 pm

8)

Hey, I already thought of this idea. Anyhow, it would be great if the gods implemented something like this. For some reason, though, gods are pretty stingy about giving out restrings.
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:13 am

I for one would love to see an idea like this implemented, or any other idea for restrings. There was a time when restrings were being handed out rather liberally, and then it stopped.

I'll be the first to agree that restrings shouldn't be taken lightly, but either there needs to be no restrings in the game at all, or there needs a policy in place that makes it possible for players to get them.

I like the idea of treating it like a title, story and RP required.

-Llan
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:05 am

Zen wrote:I'll be the first to agree that restrings shouldn't be taken lightly, but either there needs to be no restrings in the game at all, or there needs a policy in place that makes it possible for players to get them.

Totaly agree. I've been back here for about a year now and haven't had "A" chance for a restring. Then I look around and see certain people with multiple restrings. As it is now, I'm really sick of wearing the same crap as everybody else and not being able to really customize my character(s).

It's said that there is no favorites etc when it comes to these things, but actions speak louder than words, and by the actions on the past (ie. multiple restrings on small number of people, restrings with added effects), it really looks bad for those saying no favorites. Now, I'm not calling any of you guys liars or anything, but the facts add up against you in this. Give the rest of us that put our time into making this game playable a chance at something cool because if you really look at it, if the players that are constantly here stopped playing, the game would be gone just as fast as if the gods themselves would shut it down. A lot of people have been getting really bored as of late.
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:33 am

My black/red gear is both functional and stylish...
just gotta find a way to get rid of fugly sleeves....
hmm, mebbe restring is just what i'm looking for....

*cackle vandic*
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:01 pm

The distribution of restrings is very strictly controlled now after the initial liberal spread of the restring tokens. Please PM me if you know of a restring that has been issued in the last nine months that is not one of the 'Ring of Soul Entrapments'.

Regarding the chances to obtain a restring: These are very special and in general will be the reward for exceptional roleplay throughout a campaign run by our sphere. The chances are, and have been, available to become involved in the current campaign running for everyone. All it requires, is finding out who some of the more active people are and picking it up. :)

Just don't expect us to show up with a big QUEST club and announce that one is happening. Pay attention, and talk with other people who have RP togged on. We do look and notice.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:08 pm

8)

I just question why restrings are so rare and hard to obtain? One of the more enjoyable aspects of making a DnD character is describing how his or her equipment looks. This is pretty much impossible in a realm where there is no manufacturing of equipment by players or by order- I can't have my rogue save up enough money to contract a mage to enchant a dagger of his own specifications. I don't see why restrings can't be a more common thing. It's pretty boring when you look at high level characters and they all look like clones of each other. It's cool when I see a new piece of gear or something that's restrung and try to find out what it does. Too bad that happens so rarely...
Vandic
Sojourner

Postby Vandic » Thu Apr 17, 2003 6:47 pm

OMG Yaya's agreeing with me...this idea is doomed. :(

Getting back to topic though...

Regarding the chances to obtain a restring: These are very special and in general will be the reward for exceptional roleplay throughout a campaign run by our sphere. The chances are, and have been, available to become involved in the current campaign running for everyone. All it requires, is finding out who some of the more active people are and picking it up.

I participated in one of the sessions on the current campaign a few months back. I'm sure there were lots of people who found it interesting and enjoyable, but it's not my cup of tea, for several reasons:

1. A lot of the time seems to spent arguing the fine details of every single word uttered by the god-controlled mob. I think it was Thanuk who pointed this out somewhere else, I'm just too lazy to find the link.

2. I jumped in midstream, and to be honest, I couldn't follow the story line to save my life.

3. Just this one session lasted somewhere on the order of 3-4 hours. I don't always have that kind of time to devote to real-time RP events, especially not multiple events. I can, however, develop the plot line and details of an RP story an hour at a time over several days/weeks, and do so at my leisure.

Quoting again:

The distribution of restrings is very strictly controlled now after the initial liberal spread of the restring tokens.

If there was ever a period of 'liberal' restring token distribution, it flew right over my head. Not saying it didn't happen, just saying I missed that opportunity and, to reemphasize what Yaya said, the restrings still in the game seem to be pretty sparse.

I'm not asking for this opportunity to just be given out willy-nilly, it'd still be something that had to be earned through a considerable amount of effort. I'm just looking for the ability to express my RP persona through appearance as well as through action. Be honest, who wouldn't like having people come up to him/her and say "Where'd you get that armor/sword/etc.?" instead of saying "Oh wow, you have a warbow like 50 other big rangers" or "Gee, another rogue in smoke armor."

-V
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:09 pm

Sporadic roleplay sessions that last into the wee hours of the morning are not a possibility for those with real life finals and jobs to contend with. If restrings are going to be tied to involvement in campaign sessions, then the opportunities to participate need to be as predictable and regular as any tabletop campaign and wednesday night dungeon master. Until then, restrings and quest rewards are going to be limited by factors other than the players.

To speak in specific terms, my suggestion is that if restrings are to be tied to the quest sphere and campaign (and I think that is a fine idea) then the chances to participate need to be a little more specific than 'sometime this weekend'. They also need to be a little more regular than 'the next session will be soon' That doesn't need to be a mudwide rp night, but once a story arc related to the campaign is begun, a comitment to 4 sessions on wednesday nights until it is done would be a very good thing. Then start something new for monday mornings or whenever.

Or just make players write a story for them like they do names and titles, either way they need to be in or out, completely.

-Llandrien
Auril
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Auril » Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:29 pm

I'm glad you showed up for the last one. I'd spent fifteen hours setting it up. Good thing I let people know it was going to happen.

When I have an income doing this sort of thing, I'll be glad to run a quest every week. Since that can't happen, do you still want to say leave out all restrings?
Zen
Sojourner

Postby Zen » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:25 pm

Auril wrote:I'm glad you showed up for the last one. I'd spent fifteen hours setting it up. Good thing I let people know it was going to happen.

When I have an income doing this sort of thing, I'll be glad to run a quest every week. Since that can't happen, do you still want to say leave out all restrings?

I wasn't aware that the time invested in the preparation of quest sessions was so staggering. I apologize if I come off sounding un-appreciative to the efforts of the campaign staff. That certainly puts things in a different light.

If you put the question to me that way, however, I would prefer to see restrings taken out, or not tied to the RP campaign. If RP sessions require such massive effort and time tables, then there will be a lot of players who want to be involved in the campaign but because of time and schedule etc will not be able to be.

My feeling on anything in the game is that it should be open and availible to everyone willing to put the effort into getting it. If the effort required hold a campaign session is so massive as to make it exlusive to any degree, then the reward for roleplay sessions needs to be the fun of having it.

The quest staff on the mud does a fantastic job and I have enjoyed every encounter with them. I realize there is no easy solution to questions like this.

-Llandrien
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:36 pm

Zen wrote:
Auril wrote:I'm glad you showed up for the last one. I'd spent fifteen hours setting it up. Good thing I let people know it was going to happen.

I wasn't aware that the time invested in the preparation of quest sessions was so staggering. I apologize if I come off sounding un-appreciative to the efforts of the campaign staff. That certainly puts things in a different light.

If you put the question to me that way, however, I would prefer to see restrings taken out, or not tied to the RP campaign. If RP sessions require such massive effort and time tables, then there will be a lot of players who want to be involved in the campaign but because of time and schedule etc will not be able to be.

My feeling on anything in the game is that it should be open and availible to everyone willing to put the effort into getting it. If the effort required hold a campaign session is so massive as to make it exlusive to any degree, then the reward for roleplay sessions needs to be the fun of having it.

The quest staff on the mud does a fantastic job and I have enjoyed every encounter with them. I realize there is no easy solution to questions like this.

-Llandrien

I disagree. I don't spend as much time on Sojourn as I used to or would like to so I wind up missing out on much of the campaign or any other type of RP event. My job, my daughter, my girlfriend--all take precedence over Sojourn in my life. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I love the RP events very much. I would LOVE to earn a restring. But if I don't because Real Life takes me away from Sojourn at inopportune times, far be it from me to complain. I count myself lucky. Other people who are into RP and have the time constantly devote said time to the campaign. They give hours upon hours to furthering the storyline. While they get enjoyment from it (I should hope) they also add to the enjoyment of others for their involvement. Who am I to complain if the staff gives them some unique ANSI for the time and effort they have put in when my own effort hasn't been anywhere near par? If people work hard why not give them something close to tangible for their effort? I'm kinda glad I don't have the time to earn a restring. It keeps me focused on my real life. But that's just the way I look at it.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Apr 19, 2003 11:04 pm

Vandic wrote:OMG Yaya's agreeing with me...this idea is doomed. :(

1. A lot of the time seems to spent arguing the fine details of every single word uttered by the god-controlled mob. I think it was Thanuk who pointed this out somewhere else, I'm just too lazy to find the link.

2. I jumped in midstream, and to be honest, I couldn't follow the story line to save my life.

3. Just this one session lasted somewhere on the order of 3-4 hours. I don't always have that kind of time to devote to real-time RP events, especially not multiple events. I can, however, develop the plot line and details of an RP story an hour at a time over several days/weeks, and do so at my leisure.

Quoting again:

The distribution of restrings is very strictly controlled now after the initial liberal spread of the restring tokens.

If there was ever a period of 'liberal' restring token distribution, it flew right over my head. Not saying it didn't happen, just saying I missed that opportunity and, to reemphasize what Yaya said, the restrings still in the game seem to be pretty sparse.

I'm not asking for this opportunity to just be given out willy-nilly, it'd still be something that had to be earned through a considerable amount of effort. I'm just looking for the ability to express my RP persona through appearance as well as through action. Be honest, who wouldn't like having people come up to him/her and say "Where'd you get that armor/sword/etc.?" instead of saying "Oh wow, you have a warbow like 50 other big rangers" or "Gee, another rogue in smoke armor."

-V

Hm.

As for # 1, this has happened for years every time an imm ran some quest. It's a bit of misguided tradition.

For #2, I can't comment on that... For #3, IMHO that's a decent point.

I remember the liberal restring period. Every time I logged on someone else had gotten a restring; it was wild. I think this was when FNAT was in and the person voted MVP of each invasion would get a restrung badge. During this period, there were also several eq items that got restrung; I can't remember if this was related to people who got MVP or not. I remember controversy surrounding one contest because an imm had put up some trollhide leggings or something that were a restring of something else, and a lot of ppl who didn't realize complained about 'uniques.'

IMHO, I have a perfect compromise idea.

Allow RP based restrings of some sort, BUT restricted to restringing one item's short descr for another.

The player brings in X item (which has cool ansi but sucks horribly) and Y item (which is the item to be restrung), and gives them up to the imm. The items have been approved beforehand. After a little RP, and announcing it to the world, the player gets their Y item restrung to X's short description, and handed back (X item is kept as part of the price of the restring). The long description and keywords remain the same as the original item. Only similar items' descriptions may be substituted (sword for sword, ring for ring, no armor restrung into axes or such).

I suggest this because there are a ton of cool looking items out there that bite, statwise ;) This would encourage people to go out and find them.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Vandic
Sojourner

Postby Vandic » Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:22 pm

Bumping with the hopes of getting more input and/or resolution on this? Even something as simple as "no chance" or "we'll look into it," just so I can know whether or not to worry about tinkering with the idea any more?

Thanks,
V
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Tue Apr 22, 2003 6:58 pm

Hrmmm. Okie.

I've been chatting off and on for a while now with some friends about restrings. I personally want more. I want a whole outfit of nothing but restrings. I want it so bad, at one point I had a fake description, complete with Zmud HMTL coded ansi, showing my desired RP garb.

So I kept thinking of how could I make this possible? I'm not involved in the campaign at all. Well I sorta am I guess. I RP with those who are involved in it on occasion, and have been able to participate in a couple god sponsored campaign events, but nothing ever intended for me per say.

Never really understood the intent of not telling people when you were going to hold an RP session ahead of time and then blindly looking around for RP toggled people to grab. When I know ahead of time that I’m going to be doing some RP’n I spend the time beforehand getting up to speed and doing a little work on my char to prepare. This only sweetens the experience. Why cut that out? Why take that away by not telling people exactly when it’s going to happen? I like to zone. I like to RP. You can’t do both at the same time EFFECTIVELY on here. I’ve spent more time then anyone I know of on here developing my chars RP history and persona’s. I even designed a quest for my one char, which is still being worked on now that she’s a lich, which any pc can come up to and immediately engage into. Yep, I turned myself into a quest mob. Anytime someone wants to know about my char, it usually takes about an hour before I’m done. It’s THAT in depth. I even tied it into the current campaign that I’m not a part of. Now I’m working on my char offline. When I’m online, I want to zone. If I’m not zoning I’m gabb’n on a channel or idling. If you give me notice, I’d surely be more RP oriented online. But for now, I’ll be putting my RP time into a story about a few chars on the mud I’m working on. A couple have had the opportunity to read a little of it so far. J

I always kinda felt the campaign should be for unique/relic item rewards. Not simple restrings.

What's the difference? Restring is same exact item with the words describing it changed. That's it. unique/relic/wutever is a whole new item.

There's also another dilemma I've had. Not enough feminine attire in this game. NOT BY A LONG SHOT! :( So with that in mind as well.. I kinda came to a resolution to solve this issue for myself. Perhaps writing a zone with quests that lead to simple restrings? Course as a zone writer, I'd design the quests to reward the char with exactly what I want. Unfortunately that doesn't do justice for others who want different things. So maybe a restring token? Sigh.. but then people would abuse it and hoard tokens. So that's no good. :oops:

Then you posted this thread. :wink: Treat restrings like 50th titles. There is merit in that idea. I like it, but I don't think it's strict enough. 1 per 50th char. That works, but the written story requirement for a 50th title isn't really that big of a deal. It's like 2 pages for something right? Why not make it harder? 20 pages. size 10 font. No double spacing. The big RP'rs of the mud ALREADY do a lot of writing to set themselves above the norm of mediocre RP'rs. For the true Roleplayers of Sojourn3, this wouldn’t be a big issue. Not everyone can write a 20 page story about their char. Some can’t even write 1 page. What if you had to make an image of them as well?

Restring Requirements:
50th level
20 page RP story about char (size 10 font, single spaced, written at Highschool or higher level)
An artistic rendering of your char wearing the desired restring (???)

:roll:

Well there's my 4.5 cents.

-LL
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:31 pm

20 page rp story? Jesus christ, we aren't all writers here you know. I wont even give my prof's 20 pages if they asked for it.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:46 pm

Kifle wrote:20 page rp story? Jesus christ, we aren't all writers here you know. I wont even give my prof's 20 pages if they asked for it.

And you don't all get restrings! :twisted:

No soup for you! NEXT!
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:35 am

since i won't get one, then yes. leave out all restrings.
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma on Artificial Intelligence - Muma OOC: 'someday the quotes really will just become AI and then i'll talk to the AI and be like, hey you come from me, but it will get angry at me and revolt and try to kill me or something heheheh. like in the movies''
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Apr 27, 2003 8:28 pm

Twenty pages is right out. =/

Aside from that, an interesting way of looking at it.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'

Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'

Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:10 pm

Here is my only point ...why should restrings only go to the ones who like to RP? Or only ones who happen to be around on certain holidays? Or people who like to write stories? I play to zone and just hang out...I've put my time in here...why should I be forced to do the above to get one?
Meatshield
Lazus
Sojourner

Postby Lazus » Sun Apr 27, 2003 11:02 pm

The way I see it, the reason restrings are restricted to RP and such is because that's exactly what a restring is. A changing of an item's description to more accurately display your character.

That being said, I'd absolutely love to see a way to acquire restrings. No matter the price, I'd likely pay it to get my character looking like I imagine him to be.

Lazus Al'Medin
Deltin
Sojourner

Postby Deltin » Mon Apr 28, 2003 2:05 am

Lazus wrote:The way I see it, the reason restrings are restricted to RP and such is because that's exactly what a restring is. A changing of an item's description to more accurately display your character.

That being said, I'd absolutely love to see a way to acquire restrings. No matter the price, I'd likely pay it to get my character looking like I imagine him to be.

Lazus Al'Medin

You mean you don't want to look like most everyother cleric and mage? ;)
But seriously who is really benefited by the restring? I'd like my character to look different for rp reasons, but that doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon. The mud is listed on the mudconnect website as rp encouraged, I think this is a bit misleading. On the 20 page thing, I never understood how and why term papers or what ever had to be a certain number of pages, to me it should be all about quality. I could throw 20 pages together but it wouldn't be as good. Then again maybe I don't fully understand what a restring is or ment for.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:29 pm

Deltin wrote:You mean you don't want to look like most everyother cleric and mage? ;)
But seriously who is really benefited by the restring? I'd like my character to look different for rp reasons, but that doesn't look like it will happen anytime soon. The mud is listed on the mudconnect website as rp encouraged, I think this is a bit misleading. On the 20 page thing, I never understood how and why term papers or what ever had to be a certain number of pages, to me it should be all about quality. I could throw 20 pages together but it wouldn't be as good. Then again maybe I don't fully understand what a restring is or ment for.

I sincerely doubt the staff wants to be plagued with an army of people wanting restrings. 20 pages. It's a lot. Not a lot of people are going to put in the time for that now are they? Would easily cut down on the amount of restring requests. You have to admit that.

Now ask youself another question. One you appear to haven't thought of. How many stories on the BBS do you see people posting that involve other actual characters other then their own? I personally am working on a story that involves multiple real soj chars not played by myself. Has this got you thinking yet?

Not every person who has a book about them wrote that book. A lot of people higher a biographer/bard to do that for them.

Maybe some people can RP their character really well, but can't write for didly. Why should they be eliminated from possible restrings because they lack writing talent? Maybe they don't have to be?

I've also seen people work together on stories involving their characters. What if you wrote the first 10 pages and your friend wrote the last 10. Every story has a star and co-star right? As long as your characters aren't minor characters in the story, but major stars within it, why wouldn't 1 story be able to be used by two players/chars?

All stories could have an initial disclaimer at the begining saying what the intent and purpose of the story is. Who its for. What it's for. Etc.

Didja think about that? :wink:

-LL
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:21 pm

Llaalalalal wrote:Would easily cut down on the amount of restring requests. You have to admit that.

so would making restrings only for people with red hair but it wouldn't be a very valid reason

long RP stories so that you can have a 2 word restring seems to make little sense to me aswell
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:56 pm

Give a restring at 50.

Make the player give up a piece of EQ to get it.
Make a standard list of eq per class (examples follow)
Mage - Star Silver Sleeves
Cleric - Star Silver Sleeves
Warrior - Diamondine
Rogue - Etched dagger
Bard - Lute
Etc.

Player has to write a roll play story of 2 pages as they would for their title. Item must be featured in the story.

The restring is not a portable thing. It is for that character only and must be used at the time of submitting the EQ.

This would mean that anyone who wanted to put in the work to get to 50 would get a restring.

It would not require you to RP though it would require you to at least write an account of the item and may get you into role playing a bit more.

It would make 50 mean something again.

Thats all.

Depok (waiting for his Shrunken Skull of the Cloud Giant Shaman (restrung nebula)
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:59 pm

Funny that all these people so vehemently opposed to a rplay restring are the very folks that dont even bother to attempt to roleplay. There are so many countless stories and posts on the BBs to get you a good idea of the Epic fun Quest that has been going on.

Take advantage of them, try developing a character. Took me ages to delevope Nilan's rplay character and it has been so much fun trying to find his role in this Epic Quest.

Instead of trying to nix a fun restring to aid in roleplay of ones character. Why not try to roleplay you characters. Talk to people, youd be surprized at how many people will want to rplay with you and this will help you involve yourself in such quests.

Even when no roleplay quest is going on, i have been trying to rplay with people in the hopes of getting them involved or to want to rplay. My rplay recently with Glandriel (elf ranger) is a good example of this. I struck up conversation with him, we rplayed and wham...we have a good rplay tory going on between us now, that will no doubt interact in this epic quest should we continue it.

Get involved Guys,

I guarantee you'll have tons of fun doing it.

Nilan
aka
Stabby
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Apr 29, 2003 10:10 pm

I'm going to throw my hat in with those that are in favor of more restrings. I certainly think that it should be limited so that people value it. And it should be earned rather than won in some silly trivia game or whatever. But i'd definately like to see it happening more often. Its good for the game when people have an opportunity to customize and distinguish their characters.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Vahok
Sojourner

Postby Vahok » Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:57 pm

Nilan wrote:Funny that all these people so vehemently opposed to a rplay restring are the very folks that dont even bother to attempt to roleplay. There are so many countless stories and posts on the BBs to get you a good idea of the Epic fun Quest that has been going on.

Take advantage of them, try developing a character. Took me ages to delevope Nilan's rplay character and it has been so much fun trying to find his role in this Epic Quest.

Instead of trying to nix a fun restring to aid in roleplay of ones character. Why not try to roleplay you characters. Talk to people, youd be surprized at how many people will want to rplay with you and this will help you involve yourself in such quests.

Even when no roleplay quest is going on, i have been trying to rplay with people in the hopes of getting them involved or to want to rplay. My rplay recently with Glandriel (elf ranger) is a good example of this. I struck up conversation with him, we rplayed and wham...we have a good rplay tory going on between us now, that will no doubt interact in this epic quest should we continue it.

Get involved Guys,

I guarantee you'll have tons of fun doing it.

Nilan
aka
Stabby

I do agree with you Nilan..only in the fact that people who role play should get restrings that way. But why should I be forced to RP to get a restring, then convert back to my old ways? I just think either take them out completely, or make them accessable to the mud as a whole. I don't like to RP much. I don't have the time to write a story. I don't have the time to get involved in longer RP quest. So I suppose it's fair I don't have a restring? I guess my time exping a character to 50 and zoning for eq doesn't deserve a restring...

Maybe give a badge or restring for 50? Guild badges or restrings? Just tossing out some ideas...
Meatshield
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:14 am

I just don't see a point in restrings except for RP.

::shrug::
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:41 am

Nilan wrote:Funny that all these people so vehemently opposed to a rplay restring are the very folks that dont even bother to attempt to roleplay.

Doesn't seem so strange to me. Not everyone likes to roleplay, but many people still want to be unique and look cool. A lot of non roleplayers also want to be stylish and have a set of gear that matches, but can't find a way to do that without sacrificing too much effectiveness. You hear that, Ashiwi? People like restrings just to look unique- even if it has nothing to do with roleplaying. Heck, what is roleplaying? One person's idea of roleplaying can be completely different than another's. Are you roleplaying when you play a football simulation game? You're playing the role of a football player. Are you roleplaying when you play Super Mario Brothers? Is anyone reading this a plumber named Mario who was transported to the Mushroom Kingdom to save a princess from a giant turtle demon? Sounds like you're taking on a role. Just the act of responding to your character's name is an act of roleplaying. I vote for more restrings- no matter how they enter the game. I still want to know why the gods are so uptight in handing them out..
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:55 am

Yayaril wrote:You hear that, Ashiwi?

I'm sorry Yaya, did you say something? I wasn't listening...
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:49 am

Ashiwi wrote:I'm sorry Yaya, did you say something? I wasn't listening...

8)

I could tell by your black eye that you're an elf that doesn't listen.
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:27 pm

Just for the record I did try to get involved with the Epic quest at the begining. I was in he group with Dornax when he got one of the rings.

I then spent some time trying to help one or two of the characters that
were involved with the story as we ran around the zonelet on the way to Scorn.

I posted a RP oriented post on the board when the campaign was announced.

I toged RP on.

That was the last I saw/heard of the quest.

Quite frankly, I don't want to try to insert myself into anything. I log on almost every night these days and zone or help my guild. Dornax doesn't play much these days and is no longer in our guild so the chances that I will be asked to help with this quest are now close to 0.

The idea that I have to search out specific people (I don't know who has rings or who is involved with the quest currently) who I then have try to ingratiate myself to, just for the honor of participating in a story that I was involved in in the begining and was then never asked to continue with seems a little too much to me.

There is not equal opportunity today for everyone to participate in this Campaign. Participation is tied to knowing one of the people who has a ring and being on at the right time (which you don't know about before hand) and then being asked to help.

If there was a day/time announced for all to participate then we would at least have the option to show up and participate.

Everyone wants restrings. Why make it so that they are available to only a few people for a specific thing? If everyone wants them then everyone should be given the chance to get them.
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:37 pm

oops forgot to add that I have posted a story about how Depok was bound to his tiger Spirit.

Depok has a RP story. I haven't posted it because, quite frankly, I haven't seen the point.

I am not against people receiving restrings for RP. I am for restrings for everyone.

If you want them tied to RP then have a RP night for level 50 peeps and make that a requirement for getting a restring.

The point is that many of us have limited time these days. In order to do things effeciently we need a little more structure. A vague "get involved" is not gonna do it.

Ok think I am done now.

Thanks for listening (if you got this far)
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Wed Apr 30, 2003 1:47 pm

Ya know, Depok brings up a good point. Um, more than one of the ringbearers is retired, some officially, some unofficially. But... they're... gone. Okay, so this doesn't have to do necessarily with restrings, but, well... it IS kind of a pressing issue for the Campaign in general, dontcha think?
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:19 pm

8)

The epic quest still exists?
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:58 pm

Yayaril wrote:8)

The epic quest still exists?

In theory, yeah.
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:24 pm

Where on earth did everyone get the belief that people involved in the epic quest are getting restrings? Basically, they've had to put up with long sessions, occasional random loading of a bunch of aggro mobs on them, and then eve more long sessions.

Thanks guys. We appreciate the dedication :) And yes, the epic quest IS still going on.
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Wed Apr 30, 2003 3:36 pm

I don't think that people are getting restrings for the epic quest but it is the most visable example of RP and people are advocating giving restrings for RP.

As a result, I used it to illustrate the issues with RP based restrings.

It is also a good example of how structured RP events are not open to everyone.
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:31 pm

old depok wrote:I don't think that people are getting restrings for the epic quest but it is the most visable example of RP and people are advocating giving restrings for RP.

As a result, I used it to illustrate the issues with RP based restrings.

It is also a good example of how structured RP events are not open to everyone.

Here is a list of the participants for the last session, which was advertised both on the BBS and through the distribution of 'a clue' around Waterdeep and people with roleplay active.

First capture

[47 Enc] [ 50440] Kwirl (Human) (RP)
[47 Cle] [ 50440] Iduna (Human) (RP)
[50 Dru] [ 50440] Deshana Al'Medin - SilverMist TaleWeaver (Grey Elf) (RP)
[50 Cle] [ 50440] Eslina (Human) (RP)
[50 War] [ 50440] Ferdelon Tol'Kirin -Consul- Excidium Umbra (Grey Elf)
(RP)
[50 Cle] [ 50440] Lazus Al'Medin (Human) (RP)
[50*A-P] [ 50461] Delmair Aamoren (Human) (RP)
[38 Ill] [ 50440] Pilibible (Gnome) (RP)
[50 Ill] [ 50440] Jalahon -Dark Insight- Excidium Umbra (Human) (RP)
[36 Ran] [ 50440] Glandriel Briskwind (Grey Elf) (RP)
[41 Ran] [ 50440] Lorsalian Silvermist Kuuo'nee

Second Capture

[38 Ill] [ 50440] Pilibible (Gnome) (RP)
[41 Ran] [50440] Lorsalian Silvermist Kuuo'neer Rising Phoenix (Half-Elf) stands here.(Gold Aura)
Iduna (RP) (Human) stands in mid-air here.(Gold Aura)
Klandan (Barbarian) stands in mid-air here.
Lazus Al'Medin (RP) (Human) stands in mid-air here.(Gold Aura)
Delmair Aamoren (RP) (Human) stands here.(Red Aura)
Glandriel Briskwind (RP) (Grey Elf) stands in mid-air here.(Gold Aura)
Deshana Al'Medin - SilverMist TaleWeaver (RP) (Grey Elf) stands in mid-air

Third capture at end of session

Kwirl (RP) (Human) stands here.(Red Aura)
Delmair Aamoren (RP) (Human) stands here.(Red Aura)
Glandriel Briskwind (RP) (Grey Elf) stands here.(Gold Aura)
Aura)
Iduna (RP) (Human) stands here.(Gold Aura)
Deshana Al'Medin - SilverMist TaleWeaver (RP) (Grey Elf) stands here.
Lorsalian Silvermist Kuuo'neer Rising Phoenix (Half-Elf) stands here.(Gold
Aura)
Lazus Al'Medin (RP) (Human) stands here.(Gold Aura)
Kiyre (RP) (Grey Elf) stands here.(Gold Aura)

Very few of these people are what is known as the Ringbearers. The session itself lasted about 2 and half hours, with a crash in-between. Some of these players sacrificed the chance to attend Jot Invasion after the crash in order to conclude the session.

Please stop implying favoritism in what we do. We're trying to the best of our ability to incorporate everyone :)
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:41 pm

You misunderstand me. I am not implying favoritism. If you are trying to get people involved in the Epic and i am just missing the posts and clues then thats on me and I apologize.

Where would one look on the BBS for these announcements? I want to make sure that I know about the next one in advance.

Also, don't think that I don't appreciate all that you are doing. Just having an Epic campaign is a nice touch.

Looking forward to being able to join in.
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:55 pm

Get a clue

Literally. We have distributed notes named 'a clue' around the playerbase who the next session is intended for. It listed the very general region to look for the session, as well as the generic time. The clue was supported by a traveller into waterdeep, a storyteller who talked of an encounter he had on the road via the Stories forum.

The clues were distributed to salesmen in waterdeep who, then attempted to sell them to hapless players, guards, and horses. This all happened about 2 days before the actual session.
Auril
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Auril » Wed Apr 30, 2003 6:56 pm

It is a hard balance between giving enough clues and being too subtle. No one gets to be spoonfed. We're not shouting across the heavens as often, because that's not very role-play focused.

We're learning the balance. Those who notice sooner will get in on things sooner, but we are working at it.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Wed Apr 30, 2003 8:38 pm

I'm not exactly sure if the means for recruiting people for RP sessions is entirely effective. I'm not asking for people to be spoonfed. But notes on the ground that could be left by anyone and that sometimes get junked before others can read it, might not be the most effective way. :? I think if say one of the Yawning Portal mobs or such was suddenly wandering around WD talking about things they don't normally talk about (simply a staff member switched into it) might attract a lot more attention and get folks in the mood at the same time, as well as showing that what is going on is staff involved. :D I'm sure you brilliant people up there could come up with a lot better ways then I could.

On a similar note, I'd really really appreciate it if the summarized line of "look for unfamiliar room echos to clue you in" deal would stop being so casually tossed around. I got so bored one month sitting there with my RP flag on waiting for one, I made random trigger responses to all DK zone echos. I now know when one isn't familiar.

Instead I think it would be better to say to, get some friends together, turn your RP flags on and actually RP and run around doing stuff. That seems to attract the most attention from the staff, doesn't it? :| Lookie. I really dunno. It just seems that way from my POV is all. Okie?

-LL
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu May 01, 2003 11:28 am

Eilistraee wrote:Get a clue

Literally. We have distributed notes named 'a clue' around the playerbase who the next session is intended for. It listed the very general region to look for the session, as well as the generic time. The clue was supported by a traveller into waterdeep, a storyteller who talked of an encounter he had on the road via the Stories forum.

The clues were distributed to salesmen in waterdeep who, then attempted to sell them to hapless players, guards, and horses. This all happened about 2 days before the actual session.

So that's what those clues are for...i had a fun time stealing these from numerous salesmen in WD.
old depok
Sojourner

Postby old depok » Thu May 01, 2003 12:24 pm

Kifle needs to get as many clues as he/she can.

Never wants to be clueless again!
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Thu May 01, 2003 1:56 pm

Reason #1 not so RP orientated, I just want my gear to be the same colour so i look l33t and still have good stats... I would like to see more restrings, I would like to see pretty much everyone have one not just have a theoretical chance at getting one.
Dezzex
Sojourner

Postby Dezzex » Sat May 03, 2003 2:45 am

Honestly the ANSI and titles on the who list scare me, I'd rather not be subjected to that everytime I look at somebody. Players have a terrible habit of making their restrings, like their titles, ostentatious and overdone. And while I too would enjoy for restrings for my own set, I'm inclined to join the no-restrings camp because they're just a big fat headache for Gods and players alike.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sat May 03, 2003 6:38 am

Dezzex wrote:Honestly the ANSI and titles on the who list scare me, I'd rather not be subjected to that everytime I look at somebody. Players have a terrible habit of making their restrings, like their titles, ostentatious and overdone. And while I too would enjoy for restrings for my own set, I'm inclined to join the no-restrings camp because they're just a big fat headache for Gods and players alike.

So are you saying that you don't get a headache now from looking at earrings of distortion/brain medallions/arcane shoes/vermillion sleeves ?
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Sat May 10, 2003 5:45 pm

Yayaril wrote:So are you saying that you don't get a headache now from looking at earrings of distortion/brain medallions/arcane shoes/vermillion sleeves ?

Hehehehehehehehehe :mrgreen:

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”