Storage boxes instead of storage chars

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
namatoki
Sojourner

Storage boxes instead of storage chars

Postby namatoki » Tue Jan 30, 2001 5:35 pm

I know I just posted this idea to another thread, but I just realized how cool this idea would be. From a RP standpoint, I believe against storage characters. If we could have a storage safe box in the bank, I think that would be more interesting. We could then store essential items there without having to run to the inn and log in a storage character and grab stuff. Maybe set the weight limit to 1/2 of your character's holding capacity. I just don't like the idea of storage characters and much prefer a bank safe storage box of some sort.

Any takers?

Nizrath
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Tue Jan 30, 2001 5:59 pm

Good idea!

Another benefit from this would be that the admins wouldn't have to deal with the headache to police people with multiple characters logged in at once, and making sure that they remain in the inn, etc.
Kailam
Sojourner

Postby Kailam » Tue Jan 30, 2001 6:09 pm

No storage limits then tho, as one player can have only one storage box lifetime.
Harthorm
Sojourner

Postby Harthorm » Tue Jan 30, 2001 6:51 pm

With the advent of the online area creation tool, I'm hoping the Gods will allow us to design our own homes, etc. This would be ideal if we could have a stash or treasure room. And of course put in a few spanky guard mobs :)

Now, assuming you will be able to create a home/castle/hideout/whatever, you will also have to pay for it (unless newbies are given hovels with generic descriptions?). If the hovels don't pan out, perhaps a storage box at the Inn, somewhat small in size, would be available until the player has the means to purchase their own spanky abode.

If homes aren't going to be implemented (boo :( ), then a storage box with an unlimited (or at least very large) size should be implemented.

I totally like this idea, as I never thought logging on a buff lvl 10 Dwarf that held all of your conjie's extra EQ was in keeping with RP, either.

Harthorm/Twiblin
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Tue Jan 30, 2001 9:38 pm

I agree on the idea for a storage box instead of using storage chars. Talk about a heach ache saver. As for the storage box having limits, well money doesn't have limits, why should storage? Hrmm.. maybe because it could get outa hand. That way there would be a use for Illithid bags and Tinker bags and Llewyrr bags of depth, etc. Ok, I think it should have a storage limit based on weight, perhaps like 200 pounds. That could be a lot of bags or a few heavy items.

My two Zhents,

Caedym Shadowhock
VeggieBoy
Sojourner

Postby VeggieBoy » Tue Jan 30, 2001 10:03 pm

How about rental space? well, at least make people pay for it.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Jan 30, 2001 10:10 pm

This is already in the works, in fact most of it has already been coded and tested. :)

More details will follow, but I assure you that the days of storage characters are over.
Yadir
Sojourner

Postby Yadir » Wed Jan 31, 2001 5:56 am

Ugh.. I just -hated- the muds I played where you payed to rent eq. Take a break for a month and come back to find your eq gone. :P A free or one-time fee for a safe-deposit eq box or whatever would be very convenient. Good idea Namatoki.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Jan 31, 2001 6:50 am

It will -NOT- cost money to have a basic storage "locker" in the inn.

It may cost plat to purchase a bigger storage device, but it would be a one-time fee to purchase the device, not a rental setup.
Bopple
Sojourner

Postby Bopple » Wed Jan 31, 2001 6:51 am

I agree with Yadir.
And while you can use storager chars,
why bother money-consuming storage box?
Bopple
Sojourner

Postby Bopple » Wed Jan 31, 2001 6:52 am

Heh Shevy, you're too fast!
Iaiken
Sojourner

Postby Iaiken » Wed Jan 31, 2001 8:09 am

So, how will the boxes work? Will they be run on a password so that all of your char's can use it, or will it be Ip addy related? I am very curious as I also hated having a storage char... Well, hope the details make it back to me soon...
Tayros
Sojourner

Postby Tayros » Wed Jan 31, 2001 3:34 pm

This is funny 'cause Rho and I were just talking about this yesterday, in fact, we were discussing the location of the lockers, and we thought the room where the well was would be ideal...

Anyone remember that? 8·)

Also, are storage lockers going to lead to a ban on storage chars? Are neutral cities going to be banned from storage lockers so Joe evil-to-good equipment trader can't swap equipment without running a storage char, unless they're banned? hurm...

BTW, the sojourn3 image on the posting page is missing a 1 in front of the image height attrib (I'm guessing 175 instead of 75)?

Sign me up as an alpha tester!

Cheers!

Tay
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Wed Jan 31, 2001 4:00 pm

Thanks for all the responses. I'm glad that Shevarash already thought this one up! *cheer*

I was thinking that the locker would be attached to your pfile somehow and only you can access your own locker that way. Shevy already said that you can still have storage chars but the storage locker will do away with the *need* for storage characters.

Thanks again for the info!

Nizrath
Tirus
Sojourner

Postby Tirus » Sat Feb 03, 2001 12:45 am

If you put much of a limit on locker sizes or make it more than a nominal fee to get more space, you'll have people making storage characters just for the extra locker space.

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”