Druid, Special Flags / Shapechange

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Sarell
Sojourner

Druid, Special Flags / Shapechange

Postby Sarell » Fri Feb 02, 2001 9:28 am

I wish the gnolls, fish and other little
crap wouldn't attack me when I am a eagle
soaring through the air!, perhaps a bird flag could be implemented to stop this..hmm
perhaps a few more flags all round could
apply to shapechanges to get around aggros
and other sticky situations... <b>Why cant a
crow go into a evil town I ask you? </b>RANT
RANT RANT

I guess it could be tricky to implement
flags that make aggros of certain types
not eat you. Perhaps in whatever command
you use to make aggros aggro, check for
size of room and druids shapechange state
so that zones dont have to be re done?
Or maybe just add a 'long enough arms
to reach a soaring druid' bit to the
mob type tables.....
Hmmm guess I can just rant my ideas and if
the code folk like them and can make them
work yay.

Depending on how the shapechange code works..
I think it did actually set you as a mob?
If so can the mobs be looked at..ie give
forest things like bears awareness, give
mooses bash (let us be mooses please?),
give a crocodile a wierd bite proc...
eyeball pecking for birdies....
These tings would be pretty useless to
power players, but great for RP folk
and useful for exploring the forest
(and outer planes) which druids are good
for. PS I loved flying to ZK in one go.

<font color=green>Entangle</font>
Please can we have this spell, perhaps
make it a reworded major paralysis?
(really I just want to shows those vines
how it feels)...oh and sticks to snakes
*hiss hiss* while I'm on my spell rant.
Perhaps a super dooper barkskin that is
kind of stoneish for a high level spell..
Everyone else gets it :P (conjie shaman)

Lots of the stuff here would be unique
druid skills..NO YOU RANGERS CAN NOT
HAVE THEM (oh yeh..reminds me, can I have
forage, I love grasshopper!)..which..
I think is good for the feel of the game
(having a spread of unique classes).
And some is just to give druids a boost
generally in the area of solo exploring.
<i>(I like the idea of a lonely druid..not
that I dont have great philosophical
debates with the tree of death!!!)</i>

I think that all this stuff I have stuck
together is the worst scenario of 'cut
and paste hell grammer' ..my apologies
But give feedback anyhow!

Lots of Love
Patrick aka Sarell/Ladak/etc
Zortan
Sojourner

Postby Zortan » Sun Feb 04, 2001 1:28 am

Good point that non-fly aggro mobs should not be able to attack flying pc's but I think that would be waay too twinkable if it were implemented...
-Z
Navia
Sojourner

Postby Navia » Sun Feb 04, 2001 6:35 am

As a druid for 6 years I have to post my oppinion :)

Druids NEEEEEEED something new. Anything new would be an improvement. I'll organize my ideas more later. :)

Navia

Postby Guest » Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:47 am

Yes, we're aware that's druids needed some attention.

To restate a commonly posted phrase: "Wait and see" ;)
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Feb 07, 2001 7:24 am

Sarell! Good to see you, fellow Druid... How have you been?

I think the whole idea behind us not being able to go into evil towns was that otherwise it would be exploited for abuse... Same goes for the flying bug I guess, although that works both ways - level one warriors kill sparrows and such, and it takes them multiple hits (with newbie eq).

Entangle would *Rock* as MP. It'd probably be outdoors, but still. Perhaps it could have a slight chance of affecting other enemies too? Another possibility is for the Sunbeam effect to be upgraded to PWB at very high level. I think one thing Druids need is a chance for certain types of agro mobs to *not* attack them, due to either their oneness with the surroundings or the fact that the animal is not threatened by them. This of course wouldn't apply to demons or such, but no more being stopped by the pesky L5 boar! It's a minor change and basically RP.
Averyn
Sojourner

Postby Averyn » Thu Feb 08, 2001 4:42 am

Regeneration: hmm, accelerated healing Image

Mist of Eldath: a healing mist enshrouds the room temporarily.

Finger of Death: kills a living creature on touch and deals damage if creature saves vs death

Insect Plague: the target of this spell, if the spell succeeds, will have a hard time casting for the spell duration. fireshield and coldshield will automatically kill the insects, causing the spell to fail outright.

Protection from Elements: protection from fire/cold/gas/acid/lightning.

Tree Shape: I turn into a tree and watch all the passing rangers hump me. rangers, feh... Image

Camouflage: the druid melds into his/her surrounding and becomes invisible (as per the invisibility spell). the spell breaks if the druid leaves the room in any form (roar, flee etc etc)

Pass without Trace: the druid leaves no tracks. Only individuals more experienced than the druid can detect the remnants of his/her passing.

Entangle: living vines appear from the ground and entwines around all living creatures in the area.

The spells I listed are mostly from the 3rd edition players handbook. Other spells in the list just seems to be useful. I'm just throwing ideas around so some of the spells might "appear" to be a bit powerful. Even powerful spells can be balanced so its all good.

Insect Plague might be interesting though, especially if the cleric mobs cast the spell back at the PC casters. Image All the mages will have fs/cs up and priests... well... sucks for you.

Averyn D'amari
Ruhr
Sojourner

Postby Ruhr » Thu Feb 08, 2001 6:55 am

"rangers, feh.."

LOL averyn.

Would be nice (speaking of 3E) to have multi-class characters and prestige classes. Dwarven defenders kick ass. Experience would go a lot faster if you could solo mobs(warrior/cleric hybrid), retreat, heal and go back in, etc.
Verarb
Sojourner

Postby Verarb » Thu Feb 08, 2001 7:26 am

Interesting spells Averyn, but replacing heal with regen would seem like a downgrade to me. While regen lends a unique flavor to druids i'd much rather get back 100 hps in one or two rounds of combat rather then 3 or 4hps. With invokers as it was in the game combat does not last very long any more for it to make too much of a difference. If regen was to supplement druid heals then that would rock so hard, might almost be overpowered. i can imagine running around with aggros on a druid's tail for hours.

[This message has been edited by Verarb (edited 02-08-2001).]
Verarb
Sojourner

Postby Verarb » Thu Feb 08, 2001 8:04 am

eheh BTW it was always hilarious to me when i was in an invoker strong group and did something like 2nd gate. I'd start casting a many*'d creeping doom and by the time i'm done i'd get two feeble lines of purple ansi.

[This message has been edited by Verarb (edited 02-08-2001).]
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Feb 08, 2001 9:37 am

Druids on Duris have regeneration instead of heal, and it's a disaster. Druids can't be relied on to heal in an exp group, because regen can't keep a tank alive like heal can. In addition to heal it would be great, but instead of heal would be terrible.

I'm all fidgety over the thought of Tree Shape though.

- Ragorn
Averyn
Sojourner

Postby Averyn » Fri Feb 09, 2001 1:32 am

No one likes my Insect Plague idea? I thought that was kinda spiffy 'n stuff Image

Ruhr: like a dwarven paladin? :b

Verarb: damn invokers! me and you go into arena and kill us some invokers! Image

Ragorn: i luv the new cast routines for druids. i say give the new druid changes some time and mebbe someone will figure out how to play them effectively. Image

About regeneration, I was thinking of having it as a supplement to our heal. Sorta like heal/group-heal for shamans and heal/full-heal for clerics. heal/regen for druids?

AD
Harthorm
Sojourner

Postby Harthorm » Fri Feb 09, 2001 1:52 am

Averyn,

Insect Plague is one of my favorite spells from BG2 (or 3rd Edition, if you prefer; not sure if it was in 2nd Edition).

This would be an excellent spell for a Druid's arsenal, as it behaves pretty much like silence, but allows others to cast spells in the room. This might not be needed at higher levels when 'vokers are flinging around spells, but for lower/mid level Druids this would make them a valuable addition to a group out to kill casters.

One of the cool things about the D&D version of this spell is that it can spread to up to 6 (I think) mobs. Might have to tone that down a bit, but it would be sweet to have a chance to take two casters out of the running for a short period of time with one spell.

My piddly 2 coppers.

Harthorm/Twiblin

[This message has been edited by Harthorm (edited 02-08-2001).]
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Feb 09, 2001 1:53 am

Druids on Duris just suck, period Image Their method for memming is interesting though. For those who don't know, druids automatically replenish spells based on the terrain they're in. So if you fight a druid in a forest, he'll be throwing sunrays and creeping dooms at you all day long without needing to mem. But if you fight him in the Underdark, once he runs out of spells he's royally screwed since he can't just hide and mem up.

The insect plague is interesting, but it sounds a lot like creeping doom Image Maybe change the name?

- Ragorn
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Fri Feb 09, 2001 3:43 am

That sounds realy cool. May make druids too dangerous in some areas though. Still it would make playing a druid alot more interesting.
Somerled
Sojourner

Postby Somerled » Mon Feb 12, 2001 4:24 am

Druids more powerful when in thier natural habitat!? Oh .. whoda thunk it!

Heh ... I think its an excellent and logical spin ... same point I tried to make on the Rangers spell discussions ... Druids should literally rule when in a forest or woodland environment, the actual land and plants all around them are on THIER side! Maybe not sooo drastic as to be literally spelless if deep underground but maybe something like .. oh .. say ... when praying in a woodland environment thier pray times are practically non existant ... also ... I think moonwell should be limited to woodland areas, I seem to remember some kind of Druid spell in AD&D 2nd ED, a spell that allowed a Druid to travel long distances by entering a tree in one place and then exiting a tree in another location .... I forget the name.

Also, I think there could be some nifty applications for Druid Rings in the MUD ... Stone Henge like structures ... these things were part of the standard tools of the Druid.

Somerled

[This message has been edited by Somerled (edited 02-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Somerled (edited 02-11-2001).]

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”