Selective Skills

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Elseenas
Sojourner

Selective Skills

Postby Elseenas » Fri Feb 02, 2001 7:19 pm

Yet another idea (::grins:: no I am not trying to pester the mods). This was talked about a good deal last time and looking through the list of Rogue skills I think the need for it might be more prominant this time.

Lets say I am playing an Assassin but have absolutely no use for Range Weapons (for whatever reason). It would be nice if, as an assassin, I could push at least most of the points for ranged weapons into something I would consider more useful, like sneak or hide. Thus, rather than having simply a poor range weapons (because I never practice it), I could intentionally improve something else instead.
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Sun Feb 04, 2001 2:14 pm

Hmm.. From what I know, or I think I know, the skills are set up for a reason. Your skills can notch only so much per level, so if your 25th level your never going to master backstab. At the same time, practicing backstab over and over, realistically speaking results in diminishing returns. The first few times your going to learn alot, but after the 1000th time your just not going to discover that much. I guess its more of my opinion.

P.s. There are no assasins anymore. :)
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Sun Feb 04, 2001 7:57 pm

There are no bounty hunters anymore but it is still possible to play them.

Simply foucs your rogue in the appropriate categories and you have an assassin.

As to diminishing returns: what you say is all fine and good and would WORK under the system I propose. What I am implying is that if I spend all of my time practicing sneak and hide and NEVER use ranged weapons, I should get naturally better at sneak by focusing the energy I would normally of focused into ranged weapons into it.

I don't mean obtain mastery level by lvl 25, I mean be better than my friend who maxed one and then proceeded to max the other.
Orvik
Sojourner

Postby Orvik » Sun Feb 04, 2001 9:17 pm

Well, a rogue who dual-wields and circles would notch skills differently than
one who always uses range weapons and
one who dual-wields & trips and
one who contantly BS, escapes, poisons, sneaks then BSs again

but I think that your comparison is going to have trouble working due to
the nature of the mud, in theory all rogues want to practice sneak and hide
when they are not in combat. And someone who does put in the extra time for
those skills will notch them higher, it just won't be significantly higher.

Pythrrus
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Feb 22, 2001 4:55 pm

I found that right before the mud shut down, hide and sneak were both quite useful. Whilst on a Jot run, someone accidentally aggroed the one troll shaman who wanders about. He proceeded to tear up the entire group. I survived for about 15 minutes after everyone else died by hiding. Then hide wore off and the troll ran in and toasted me =D. It still can be a pretty useful skill along with sneak.

Yayaril
Vazzgo
Sojourner

Postby Vazzgo » Thu Feb 22, 2001 6:26 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Elseenas:
Lets say I am playing an Assassin but have absolutely no use for Range Weapons (for whatever reason). It would be nice if, as an assassin, I could push at least most of the points for ranged weapons into something I would consider more useful, like sneak or hide. Thus, rather than having simply a poor range weapons (because I never practice it), I could intentionally improve something else instead.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about ranged speciality or something like hitter speciality (wich would include circle, backstab, garrote, etc?)

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”