Mage familiars

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Cirath Uruxx Kalith etc
Sojourner

Mage familiars

Postby Cirath Uruxx Kalith etc » Sat Feb 24, 2001 9:41 pm

this idea occured to me as i was ranting on another thread so i thought i would say something about it on a new one.

how about giving familiars to mages. this would be a little pet that wouldnt have much use (familiars are usually used to scout areas and that sort of thing) other than RP but it might be nifty to see. each mage class could have a list of familiars and one would be chosen at random like the way a shaman's spirit is chosen.

it was just a though, feel free to rip it to shreds now :)

Cir
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Sat Feb 24, 2001 11:00 pm

Well a very low level familiar might be nice for conjies to practice summon on. (Remember [460] iron rations sit here.)
I dont think necros need farmiliars though, they have enough followeres already.
I dont know about familiars for invokers and enchanters though. Maybe something like "A small rock golem forms befor you as you finish enchanting a pile of pebbles." would work for enchanters but I dont realy see invokers being able to summon a familiar.
Cirath Uruxx Kalith etc
Sojourner

Postby Cirath Uruxx Kalith etc » Sun Feb 25, 2001 12:33 am

I'm not talking about a golem, not even a big dog. im talking about something like a cat, or a bat, or a small mouse, or a bird, or an imp, some small animal or creature with no real value in combat that is slightly smarter than the ordinary version of that creature.

though familiars are not usually summoned whenever they are needed, they are usually summoned once then stay with the mage.

as i said before, this isnt exactly something i see as being "useful" as much as i see it as being something fun to use for RP

"em picks up his rat and places it in a soft spot inside his back"

Cir

[This message has been edited by Cirath Uruxx Kalith etc (edited 02-24-2001).]
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sun Feb 25, 2001 10:12 am

Buy a beagle.

- Ragorn
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Sun Feb 25, 2001 3:08 pm

ROFL ROFL... Buy a Uthgard Horse from Griffon's Nest, they are real cheap. Image
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:24 pm

I thought conjurers were going to get familiars, ones they could even control over a distance.

Conjies were on the list for an upgrade, I believe shevy was working on them, and this was one of the plans for them.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sun Feb 25, 2001 8:20 pm

Seriously though... you all know I'm the first one to break it down roleplay style, but I'm really against coding changes that will solely affect RP. It takes away from the coders' time that could be spent on more useful projects, and I think good roleplay can be achieved with a minimum of code.

- Ragorn
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Feb 25, 2001 8:53 pm

"Mage" is a very general term. On sojourn its already broken up into specific catagories for you. Conjurers are the only ones with ability to summon "familiars" and should stay that way imho. And shamans also. Enjoy!

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”