enchant item

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
izarek
Sojourner

enchant item

Postby izarek » Wed Feb 28, 2001 7:36 pm

Quick idea for the day:

It seems to me that the uniquely-enchanter spell 'enchant weapon' (was it called that or something else like that?) which gave perm bonuses to weapons was not too useful and hard to tweak. When it is limited to +1 or +2, no one uses it, except maybe to create an extra magic weapon if they don't have one already or to give a weapon to a newbie. When 'chanters could go high (like +4) those weapons became commonplace and unbalanced the mud. Where's a middle ground that makes the spell interesting and useful to the mud, yet not unbalancing?

How about this: Expand the spell to 'Enchant item', meaning its no-longer sword specific. Moreover, make it require rareload components which determine the effect. Effects could be things such as 'plusses' (i.e. +2 hit, +10 ac, +mvs etc), protections (i.e. pfc), and minor procs (i.e. shocking grasp). These rares could be made to have standard effects with the 'enchant item' spell, like fireweed = prot.fire. Then make these combinations unknown and interact differently (i.e. fireweed works with this item but not this other one). And of course, it would also depend on the 'chanters skill at enchantment. This would mimic creating magical items in AD&D.

Picture this:

Enchanter #1: Hey I just found this broadsword with nice ansi and it looks enchantable. I've got this fireweed in my pack and I hear that can be used to make a prot.fire item. I wonder... c 'enchant' broadsword fireweed. Damn, spell didnt work and the fireweed crumbled ;(

Enchanter #2: Ooh, I just found this vial on that rareload mob and it identifies as 'oil of enchantment'. I have a fireweed in my pack that I haven't made into an earring. Hey gimmie that enchantable shield o yurs and lets see what happens. c 'enchant' shield oil fireweed. Woot, got a +15 ac shield pff! Image

With an unknown number of possibilities and unknown number rares (including new ones added for this spell) out there to be used, I think this would add many interesting possibilities and a new dimension to the mud.

Thoughts? Comments? Monetary donations?

Izzy
Harthorm
Sojourner

Postby Harthorm » Thu Mar 01, 2001 5:17 am

Izzy, I remember you (or somebody else, but I'm sure it was you) having this idea either on the boards in WD or the old BBS. I think it's a great idea!

One thing I'd like to add that I think makes sense: Make the extent of the enchantment based upon the quality of the weapon. Give each weapon a quality flag (low, middle, high). A low quality weapon could only enchant to +1 +2, or perhaps only a small amount of prot. fire. The same type of weapon, but of higher quality would possibly be +3 +3 enchantable, or have higher prot. fire (or at least be capable of it, all depending on the caster's skill). In order to be sure of the quality of the weapon, the caster has to take the weapon to a blacksmith/armorer and have them appraise it for a cost (20 p?). Otherwise, they can take a chance that the weapon will be good enough quality. Possibly make each weapon have a random quality range so that not every dark steel longsword is middle quality, but the odd one might be high/low.

Harthorm/Twiblin

[This message has been edited by Harthorm (edited 03-01-2001).]
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Mar 01, 2001 6:36 am

Thats a great idea Iz.

Corth
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Thu Mar 01, 2001 4:01 pm

Harthorm,

I definately wasn't thinking that every non-enchanted weapon would have the capability to be +3 or say +4. I think most stuff shouldn't even be up to snuff for enchantment. A DS longsword would be enchantable to +1 or +2 at best. And, I think an inherent variability (that you suggested) would be a good idea. Say 70% unenchantable, 20% +1 enchantable, 10% +2 enchantable. Whatever, you get the point.

Basically, what I'm trying to do here is suggest a way that the spell could produce interesting stuff, but have it be uncommon and variable enough to keep people interested.

Izzy
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Fri Mar 02, 2001 10:46 am

The spell is received at fairly low level. To keep people interested in zones there was a cap of +2/2 put on weapons. Other Items couldn't be enchanted because most other item slots couldnt be found that good. Some could, some couldn't. I think the spell max should be increased to 3/2 but not anymore.
I think that the componet casting in enchanting could be interesting, but like familiars really doubt its extensive use. As such out doubt the time it would take to put into it.

>Cast 'minor c' sword
A longsword appears.
>Cast 'enchant' sword weed oil water orb root ring bracelet hair bug apple
A longsword flares brightly for a moment taking on a blue hue.
>Get longsword
You get a longsword of hairy apple spankiness slayer.
>wield longsword
You wield a longsword of harry apple spankiness slayer.
>kill hairy apple
You slash obliterates a hairy apple.
The longsword of hairy apple spankiness slayer glows brightly envoking a cloud of healing for your party members blowing the hairy apple in to smitherins giving you 100x as much experience.
The longsword of apple spankiness slayer vibrates violently, and you get stoneskin, full heal, haste, blur, fly, water breathing, armor, and vitality cast on you.
R.I.P, A hairy apple is dead.
You receive your share of the experience.
You raise a level!
You raise a level!
You raise a level!
The blood curling cry of a Hairy apply makes your skin crawl.

Yea.. Image wahoo!
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Mar 02, 2001 10:59 am

Rofl

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”