Ranger Spell List

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun Feb 11, 2001 9:38 pm

Here's a thought on the whole find friends in order to get into groups issue. I made all the friends I have by grouping with them first! So I have to get friends to get into groups where I can make friends... ever hear the term "Vicious Circle?" Image

Bleh... I think both of ye's should stay with ranger though. I know I know, being able to always get into groups is appealing... and you gotta love tossing fireballs and incendiary clouds around... but you won't be able to hug trees anymore!

Sarvis
Somerled
Sojourner

Postby Somerled » Mon Feb 12, 2001 4:44 am

Well ... to try to put some "realism" into the Ranger class .... consider this ... if a group where heading out for adventure that was leading them into the "wild" outdoors, if all attributes and skills etc. of the traditional Ranger were in fact available to utilize in a MUD, no one in their right mind would consider such an adeventure into woodland territories without a Ranger in teh group, unfortunately this is not applicable in the current mudding environment.

I do seem to recall though, maybe in the old AD&D rules that no more than two Rangers could work together in the same group ...

Possibly make some revisions to the invis spell or no so available to all mage classes, I dunno ... maybe make it a much higher level, just someway to give more merit to those who are able to sneak, hide, etc. and go unseen for scouting spying purposes. Rangers in the woods with camoflauge, Rogues in cities and dungeon type environments with Hide in shadows)

Just a thought

Somerled
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Mon Feb 12, 2001 8:11 am

Well, I don't mean to be an ahole but lets look at this. Sojourn classes werent made from all the same mold, they aren't supposed to be all the same. Every class has thier benefiets and thier detrements. Thats the way it is. Oh no rangers don't do as much damage as invokers, but IM positive rangers still have fun. Druids spell list is kinda shaky, but the druids still have fun. I would not want to play a mud where every class is the same, or equal. What's the point? The point is to have fun, and people will do that regardless. Classes aren't meant to be the same or even close. Just my spin.

Yea, silly me. Ever notice in AD&D where the classes weren't always the best or worst? You played the one you had fun with.

P.S. I can't spell.

[This message has been edited by Galok Icewolf (edited 02-12-2001).]
Harthorm
Sojourner

Postby Harthorm » Mon Feb 12, 2001 3:17 pm

Galok,

You're not an ahole Image Anyway, I think the main point of this whole thread is to make a ranger more fun to play and add to their RP value. Obviously new skills are exciting, and tweaks will cause the class to become more ranger-like. In the end, giving rangers more ranger-like attributes and some new skills, and possibly increasing dmg will add to their flavor, IMO.

Harthorm/Twiblin
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Mon Feb 12, 2001 9:06 pm

I think one thing that's been something all the rangers have been saying without actually blatantly mentioning it is that we're not looking to preempt invokers or become like the old monks. Balance does not equal equivalence, and we'd rather just be more useful than a clone of two other classes and a few tweaks here and there could go a long way to facilitate that goal.

Trel
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Mon Feb 12, 2001 10:17 pm

Well said, Trel! Huzzah!
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Feb 14, 2001 8:43 pm

Rangers were cool but how many people with the skills to back up the class did we have last wipe? 4 or so? I like the minor tweaking ideas put out for spells and skills, flavored spells would be a nice touch to the class as would the removal of books *glare*.
With rogues being the other hitters next wipe I am wondering what the Staff considers to be the differences between teh 2 classes. I'd assume they would deal similar damage but their abilities and roleplay aspects would seperate them. Rangers had one of the most easily accesible classes to roleplay (yeah thats a big part of sojourn's true intent and if you dont agree ilshad will keel you!) just my 1 cent (im poor)

Gorm
Lithius
Sojourner

Postby Lithius » Fri Feb 23, 2001 6:21 am

Just gimme haste at level 42 and Ill be a happy camper and take away the stupid Lightning (or make it worth using) and maybe a simple spell like word,fly or even a +2+2 spell for a 10th circle would do nice.

Just another thought.

Lithius
BTw, I cant wait to play, one way or another Ill still be a ranger.
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Fri Mar 02, 2001 11:05 am

NOOOOOOOO!! Shevy's post is about to pass up this thread. Needa keep it going!

I um think rangers need um summon nymph at 10th circle so they won't need trees anymore.

Maybe they need like a spell named um.. needle swarm. Does some damage, um like maybe fireballish and goes through globe (10th circle obviously) and has a chance... 15%? to stun the mob it hits. Image

Bonus! it can be combined with (or some druid spell) fireball to make it a firestorm or something. I think that'd be pretty cool. Make rangers and druids wanna work together.. yah! Image
Lithius
Sojourner

Postby Lithius » Sat Mar 03, 2001 6:35 pm

Hmm that would make it interesting, Have druids and rangers spells combine together creating a good combination. Would help them both get into groups and stuff, would be an Idea. Druids Bark and Rangers Bark would create an awsome armor or something.

Lith
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Mar 12, 2001 9:45 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tilandal:
Thats easy. Play a ranger but concentrate on casting instead of fighting! At 41 you can pound all your enimies into the gruound with the power of your lightning bolt!</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*wheeze* whew... wow...

Fireseeds idea is cool though.

-Mori "still waiting for druid trip"
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Mar 12, 2001 9:50 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Galok Icewolf:
<B>NOOOOOOOO!! Shevy's post is about to pass up this thread. Needa keep it going!

I um think rangers need um summon nymph at 10th circle so they won't need trees anymore.

Maybe they need like a spell named um.. needle swarm. Does some damage, um like maybe fireballish and goes through globe (10th circle obviously) and has a chance... 15%? to stun the mob it hits. Image

Bonus! it can be combined with (or some druid spell) fireball to make it a firestorm or something. I think that'd be pretty cool. Make rangers and druids wanna work together.. yah! Image</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If fireseed arrows make ranger > voker while it lasts, and druids get this spell fairly early, I can *definitely* see both druids and rangers having a much easier time grouping. Treehugger power!

Moritheil gives command to his followers...
A fire elemental says 'I have 14 (14) hit points and 112 (114) moves.'
Nilan snickers softly.

Pril rolls on the floor laughing.
<> grumble elemental;c 'harm' fire

- Mori

[This message has been edited by moritheil (edited 03-12-2001).]

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”