skills, autorollers, and stats oh MY!

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Wobb
Sojourner

skills, autorollers, and stats oh MY!

Postby Wobb » Sat Mar 10, 2001 9:10 am

I know there are like a million other things to do ...BUT!

Someday, when you guys all get bored here's a few things you can do to make starting out the game easier for people.

First, set all beginning stats to learned when each class rolls up. I downloaded circlemud code (knowing very little about c) and threw it up on my box, edited the code so I know its easy. I thought in depth about it and can see where you would want them to start out with unlearned skills, but considering the veteran playerbase it might be something to think about.

Second. I keep seeing all these posts about autorollers etc...why not just make an autoroller for us like the zmud masters make. I would suggest that when a person rolls up, they have the option to put in the minimum numbers they are willing to take on a roll. If they are missed, then they can try again, but without having to worsen that Carpal Tunnel by hitting enter every roll. The roller will just keep going until the stats are hit. (of course from a coding and traffic standpoint I have NO idea how this would affect the mud) but the gist would be something like this:

Would you like to use the autoroller? Y/N: y

Enter the minimum number you will accept for Strength: 95
Enter the minimum number you will accept for Dexterity: 75

(etc...for each stat)
Then the roller will work as normal until the player's minimum requirements are hit. I mean that's what we end up doing anyways so...why not just do it for us...plus sounds like a fun coding project. =) Of course you can impose maximums, like they can only put in three or 4 over 90...I think mixed with how its coded now and random numbers it could be tweaked to be very nice for everyone, without giving unreal stats.

Wobb

(anyone else have thoughts or ideas on this?)
Kyos
Sojourner

Postby Kyos » Sat Mar 10, 2001 9:39 am

Heheh, why not give everyone 100 in all stats then?

Or like everyone gets minimum 90 etc.

Thats no good, one thing with the roller is that you can't see real numbers (at least when i used to play sojourn).

The game is no fun when everyone have high stats, whats the point of the stats anyways then?

I would say, make everyone get less in the stats then they get now, make it harder to roll, perhaps disconnect or make the user
start over when you reach a certain number of rerolls.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sat Mar 10, 2001 10:27 am

If I remember correctly, the maximum average you can get of all of your natural stats is 75. Example for a warrior:

STR: 96
DEX: 82
AGI: 91
CON: 90
POW: 62
WIS: 66
INT: 61
CHA: 50

The average of these stats would be 74.75, or basically 75. Basically this person rolled their top 4 stats as goods and let the other ones be fairs. There's no way you can get all 100's...and any 100 natural stats you get are going to cost you elsewhere.

Yas
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Sat Mar 10, 2001 12:33 pm

Ah! That's interesting Yasden, I never did the math. My point was yeah, keep the number spread the same but let us just say well fine I want Str and con above 95, and the rest I don't care about..etc...that kind of thing.

Oh and Kyos, an earlier post showed that numbers would be visible during the rolls.

Wobb
Harthorm
Sojourner

Postby Harthorm » Sat Mar 10, 2001 2:29 pm

Isn't part of being a newbie being new to things and having a hard time?

I disagree with your ideas, Wobb. I don't really think Sojourn should be a MUD that implements things like server-side autorollers. As well, why would your skills start out as learned? You are a newbie, and from a role-playing standpoint you are also new to whatever profession you have just chosen. You don't really know anything yet.

Anyway, 'nuff said Image

Harthorm/Twiblin
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sat Mar 10, 2001 10:26 pm

I disagree as well. If you want good stats, hope to get lucky or code an autoroller - if you want something spiffy, work for it.... This would be extremely silly for the mud to I find.

Secondly, skills starting at unlearned sucks, but is only normal. Hell, I've been high level zilch times, does that mean I should automatically be lvl 40 when I roll a char, based upon your argument?

My 2 cents.
Kyos
Sojourner

Postby Kyos » Sat Mar 10, 2001 10:35 pm

Actually...

Something im coding atm is almost similar to that, but you can't keep ALL stats as you like.

More like this, before rolling you get to choose whether you wanna be strong, agile, smart etc.

And based on that, the roller makes these stats higher above some minimum, perhaps 85-90 (sojourn style).

Shrug
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Sun Mar 11, 2001 2:03 am

Good points! Good feedback. I'm glad a few people responded. I was curious how other people felt. I'm just a lazy bastard and hate typing prac when I roll up a new char!

Hehe. :0

Wobb
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Mar 12, 2001 3:36 pm

lol wobb... on other muds you prac with a new char... but on Toril didn't you have to level up before there was anything to practice?
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Tue Mar 13, 2001 1:58 am

honestly I don't recall...but I think you start out with 1h sla..etc.. unlearned. Maybe I'm thinking another mud but....

some other muds I played...when you start out all of your level 1 skills are at least learned. So you don't have to be redundant and type prac a million times. Wish I remembered!

Wobb A.K.A. Lazy
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Tue Mar 13, 2001 3:28 am

Wobb, they changed it some time a while back so that you no longer had to practice your level 1 skills in the beginning. Much less of a hassle that way. Still had to scribe 1st level spells though.
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Tue Mar 13, 2001 3:55 am

Dosen't everyone just have a prac alias that goes through all your skills a couple times?
I just type one word after I level at my guild and bamm-O I'm done.

Rausrh licks you.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Mar 13, 2001 4:29 am

You start out with all your skills as neophyte on Sojourn, but you could practice them a few times at level 1. In the grand scheme of things, it's kind of pointless to worry about how high your skills are at level 1, since they were all so abyssmal they made very little difference to gameplay at that point.

Besides, how many of us just went to the guildmaster at level 10.9 to practice the hell out of all of our skills before we started having to pay for them?

- Ragorn

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”