Druids

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Gormal
Sojourner

Druids

Postby Gormal » Sun Feb 25, 2001 9:17 pm

I was thinking last night about druids and how they fit into Sojourn. I thought it might be interesting to make a druids power/spells depend on what terrain he was in. Afterall, anyoen that relies on nature for their power IS going to suck ass in a cave a mile beneath the surface, but they are going to own in a forest or something.
What if they got a few spells that had different effects based on whatever terrain the druid was currently in? Similar to a geomancer or something.
Nature's Fury...in a forest the trees and stuff would beat things down/try to minor para (entangle) foes. In a cave it might just do a more damaging form of earthquake, in plains it might whip up a different form of cyclone that has a chance to blind. Would be really awesome I think, and would add a TON of depth to the characters...if you gave them maybe 3 of these types of spells....minor, standard, and major...at like 3rd circle, 6th circle, and 9th...or something like that...it has the potential to be a much needed boost and would help to set apart the class.
I was thinking druids should be able to mem faster and their spells should be more potent within a forest. Not a whole lot but a small boost..like increase the damage/healing by 20% or so.
I loved the class and thought it always had awesome potential. It just never found its proper niche.
Druids comment!
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sun Feb 25, 2001 9:23 pm

Been playing duris?
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun Feb 25, 2001 9:34 pm

"Afterall, anyoen that relies on nature for their power IS going to suck ass in a cave a mile beneath the surface..."

Caves aren't natural?

Sarvis
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Feb 25, 2001 9:52 pm

Cherzra: yeah I got the mem time speeding up thing sorta from duris...other then that their druids are a freaking joke.

Sarvis: Caves may be natural but think about it logistically. If you are someone who works with nature you pretty much will rely on what you have around you. In a cave you have a very limited contact with anythign but rock. And anything you do with tht rock could cave in the tunnel or whatnot so you'd have to limit your power. Note i did suggest and ability for in caves tho:P

Someone post the druid spell list if they have it please.

[This message has been edited by Gormal (edited 02-25-2001).]
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sun Feb 25, 2001 10:51 pm

I know... was half kidding, I agree with something that does different things based on terrain. But I don't think a druid would be weakened in a cave. Ever have a stalagmite fall on your head? Or the ground open up and swallow you whole? Hell... <u>let</u> the roof cave in and crush yer enemy, then use your magic to restore the roof.

Sarvis
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Feb 26, 2001 1:13 pm

That spell is harmonic convergence, Duris 11th circle druid spell.

The effect of the spell is determined by what terrain you're on.. quake for mountains, entangle for forest, something crappy for plains, nova for lava, etc. It's not bad, but I imagine that most high level zones are flagged one of only a few terrain types.. INSIDE, MOUNTAIN or maybe NO FLOOR.

- Ragorn
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed Feb 28, 2001 12:20 am

We have summon lightning hehe....
Maybe a few more spells that are powerful outside but certainly not weakening in a cave... lets see we could do these zones that are in a forest... hmmm hmm.. SF! no no sorry the good bits are inside aswell.. hmm
Maybe we could charm rangers? *ruffles*
Verarb
Sojourner

Postby Verarb » Wed Feb 28, 2001 5:40 am

Woot! Druids will spend all day slaying the rangers' dorky unicorn.
Navia
Sojourner

Postby Navia » Thu Mar 01, 2001 5:56 pm

Gormal,

I get where you are coming from with these ideas. I think in a round about way they are really good, but my question is how to apply them to a mud that has _very_ few forest type eq/quest/anything zones? I belive the way druids cast should be kept the same for that simple fact. Altho if there were more druid friendly, foresty zones I could see the real benefit of being terrain based. Until then I believe there are too many draw backs to being terrain based. Not only that, but if we were to apply it to druids, would rangers need the same type of thing? We are both tree-loving, nature-seeking classes. Image

Anyway... Good ideas. I'd need this to be talked about by the Imms for balancing before I could be 100% behind the idea. I'm about 50% behind ya atm :P I posted my own ideas about druids, but they have since fallen off the end of the board. I'd like to get more feedback if possible. Anyone read them that didnt comment and would like to?

wtg Gormal!

Navia Evergreen
Me
Sojourner

Postby Me » Fri Mar 02, 2001 4:57 am

I was always under the impression that not all druids were tree huggers. I always thought that some liked to hug cactus (ie; desert druids), while still others enjoyed hugging other terrain-appropriate items.

Lots of druids are posting around here -- did you all play forest types?

... and if not, does it seem reasonable to add a bunch of forest-centric spells? Not to me.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Fri Mar 02, 2001 5:24 am

Yeah, unfortunately for me and any others that tried to RP rangers and druids that were at home in non-forest environments, we never really could because of all the stereotyping . . . .

Trel the icicle-hugging, not tree-hugging, arctic ranger
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Mar 02, 2001 6:00 am

People that post under lame names like "Me" are...well...lame.
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Fri Mar 02, 2001 7:48 am

I was usually a mountain type druid hanging out in viper....not sure why I would always end up there.. But I must confess I did like to hug a tree from time to time when I saw one, that cactus in the calimshan was a cranky fellow.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Mar 12, 2001 10:12 am

Druid spell list? Here's what my best guess is, from memory (corrections welcomed):

1st
cure light, cause light
2nd
bless, cure s, cause s, word, ff
3rd
dispel g, dispel e, barkskin? (maybe it was 4th? been too long) vig light
4th
cure c, cause c, prot gas, prot acid, etc., vig serious, poison
5th
call lightning, harm
6th
lightning bolt, heal, vit, vig critic, firestorm, conjure elemental
7th
cyclone
8th
waterbreathing, control weather
9th
planeshift
10th
moonwell, creeping doom

As you can see... we kind of sucked before 6th circle :P
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Mar 12, 2001 10:14 am

oh yeah, at some point around 2nd circ we got detect magic and at around 4th-5th we got faerie fog. Never got di, thus making it a pain to get rid of or heal air elementals.
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Mon Mar 12, 2001 9:05 pm

Druids suck on Sojourn...

Leveling Visae was the most pain in the ass experience I ever had on a mud...

Until 46 level the class is a useless exp sucker...

Cyclone was so lame the gods didn't even bother putting ansi on the spell...

100 points of damage.. ect...

I am still deciding if i want to suffer through that hell again....
Uthgar
Staff Member - Coder

Postby Uthgar » Tue Mar 13, 2001 6:55 am

Let's just say Druids, like Shamans, are getting a little love.
Averyn
Sojourner

Postby Averyn » Tue Mar 13, 2001 7:27 am

Ilshadriel wrote,
Until 46 level the class is a useless exp sucker...

at 46 we change from the druid class to the taxi class.. bleh.. if it weren't for doom i would be so lost!
[50 Taxi Averyn]

Cyclone was so lame the gods didn't even bother putting ansi on the spell...

do you remember the time when Regnarami (i fergot his imms name.. beshaba?) fixed up all the spell messages... then a few days later the dream or something similar happened and the spell messages we're all lost? cyclone had a beautiful bright cyan and white ansi for those few days + new text about summoning the icy winds of the ether or somethin... i had fun just watching myself cyclone for those few days! Image

I am still deciding if i want to suffer through that hell again....

me too, i was planning on playing something else, but i think i'll take my chances again (for the 4th time). all this talk about druids getting some huggin.. you can't miss out on it!

i apologize for my writing style... i don't feel like writing properly :]

AD

[This message has been edited by Averyn (edited 03-13-2001).]

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”