Clerics and specialization

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Joth
Sojourner

Clerics and specialization

Postby Joth » Fri Mar 16, 2001 6:40 pm

A couple of my friends and I were talking about how to make clerics more interesting, but at the same time keep them balance. What we came up with was th this.

The increase of time and affects of certain spells would be the same as before.
Once a cleric achieve their specialization, they have access to certain spells; but it would only be 1 or 2 very useful spells, for each specialization class, which would be put into the 6th circle.

For the specialization protection the cleric would get a spell called greater elemental protection. This spell would give you protection from all the 5 elements. Also it is stable with the other protection spells so it doesn't make them useless. For example protection from fire gives you a reduction of 15% with damage dealt. But with "greater elemental protection" spell it would ad 10%-15% on top of that. For the 9th circle quest spell it would be maybe like anti-magic spell. It would give like 5%-10% protection from spell resistance.

Example for specialization enchantment might be , "refresh" fully revigorizing the all persons move and percentage of psi points. This would be in the 6th circle. And for 9th circle quest spell would be like "cloak of bravery" which would give like +3+3, and make people immune to fear spells, charm, and dragon fear for a combat duration.

And for specialization healing, for the 6th circle would be a good "regeneration" spell, which would increase healing faster. For the 9th circle quest spell, it would be called "restoration" , basicly all the "remove or cure" (poisons & disease) spells in one and also reduction in age (For those paladin and rangers).

Well that was pretty much it. We found that it made the class a bit exciting and also gave more variety, when you just have spec healing clerics.
santego
Sojourner

Postby santego » Fri Mar 16, 2001 6:52 pm

I like the idea of spells being only available upon specialization. Thus, folks who "hold out till later" would be a tad less effective, but could hang on till they figure out what their main group's needs are and then go for that spec. Spec "healing" only is just silly ... I mean up until now there hasn't been much choice, and spec ench for a measily 100 pts on a vit seems a little wasteful.

Other things: armor/bless should go UP as a cleric gets more powerful. As it stands, a 1st level bless is equal to a 50th level dude.
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Fri Mar 16, 2001 9:41 pm

Hmm, I think Armor is plenty powerful. Think about it armor gives you 20ac which is a lot if you think about it. its 10% of the total armor normaly avaliable. Combine that with barkskin and it becomes 50ac total which is realy sizable. Bless on the otherhand might be good to increas with level.

Actually, on second thougt It may be nice if specialize ench would increase the bless and armor. Maybe armor to 25-30 and bless to +2 hit and better sv spell. This would give somethign extra to those clrics who spcialized in enchantment over healing.

[This message has been edited by Tilandal (edited 03-16-2001).]
Marforp
Sojourner

Postby Marforp » Sat Mar 17, 2001 1:59 am

I have no idea about the future, but since Liches were implemented I don't see that it's to far fetched that something is going to be beyond level 50 (ala liches) for all the classes. With that said it still would be nice for specialization to have a larger affect, but even if it did people would still tend to only spec. in one area. There are always going to be powerfull spell/spells that help the class do it's role better in one class (ultimate damage for invokers, healing for cleric, etc...)

I'm not sure if this post really matters, but oh well.

Marforp / Sasdor
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Sat Mar 17, 2001 3:12 am

The staff already said there will be no more 50+ remorts besides Liches and I tend to agree with them. Specializations on the otherhand remain somewhat open. I do think clerics should have a better choice in specializations since healing is only a part of what clerics do. On the other hand enchanters and invokers are so specialized that no choice in specialization is realy warrented.

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”