Rareloads

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Gormal
Sojourner

Rareloads

Postby Gormal » Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:42 am

It seemed to me that last wipe that a few of the rares were made insanely rare. Namely the greycloak monk. He loaded a total of like 6 times last wipe...only twice after the downgrade to his load time i think. For that mob specifically it seemed pretty silly. The item he gives is used in multiple quests, the item itself is nice enough to wear, the mob can be quested which makes him poof, etc etc. The other gc rares seemed fine to me for the most part.
I dunno why exactly the IC rares were ganked, a few of those items were really cool for ansi, their stats weren't phenomenal, but they were nice to wear. With Ice Crag being changed what's gonna happen to the old rares?
Did anyoen else think invasion was loading a freaking ton? There were like 6 twilights on the goodie side and didn't evils have one or 2? I can remember 3 times where invasion crashed too. Call me stupid but I wouldn't mind seeing the load on invasion toned down...or better yet make twilight like a 50/50 load or something.
Ream me if i'm outta line, toss yer 2 cents either way!
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Sun Feb 25, 2001 3:12 pm

Yes.. definately some rares were insanely rare (e.g. gormal's example) I personally don't think it should have been that rare, but its based offa percentage so technically it could show up never or every boot. Can't turn it up or down, because if may affect it drastically.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:26 pm

I sat in a certain zone for months on end, and never did find the storm lord Image

Invasion didn't seem to load that much, I know evils only did it twice. Say goodies did it 7x, that would mean in a year time the zone was done 10x... you think that is too much?
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sun Feb 25, 2001 8:37 pm

I found storm lord once. Invasion was DONE 10 times maybe...but it crashed a bunch plus im sure it loaded multiple times before there was even a chance people could do it...so yeah i think that is a lot.
Tempus
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Tempus » Tue Mar 06, 2001 6:20 am

In addition to putting in IC2 and my new zone, I hope to give IC a once over. I will look at the rareload situtation and see whats up with it.

Temp
Tanras
Sojourner

Postby Tanras » Tue Mar 06, 2001 8:52 am

I got 2 storm lords and 3 shijins, but I spent a little more time than average in greycloak. Shijin didnt load at all in the last 6 months of soj2. Something was fubar with that spawn.

Tanras/Gunger
vynigumba
Sojourner

Postby vynigumba » Tue Mar 06, 2001 2:16 pm

Well, I think I spent at least 50% of my time in GC.
Yes, i guess i got the last stormlord, and with it the wining of Waelos.
The quest mage was very rare also and the demon very rare. The rest was not so bad. The rest were well calibrated i guess. .

anyway, is there another zone which rares pop in the same way of GC? I mean randomly and eventually every 20 minutes or so.
I would love to see more area like that.

p.s. rejuvanation. I (well, my wraiths) used to reju some rangers once in a while. I doubt they were punished.
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Tue Mar 06, 2001 2:57 pm

Vyn -

Why would I whine if you killed Stormlord? 1) his eq is !good and 2) his eq is not for a quest.

Maybe I'm just being sensitive, but I don't appreciate being called a whiner in any circumstance, let alone one that is entirely unlikely to have happened. Me whining about windsong stats being low? sounds possible, even likely! Me whining that a necro killed the stormlord and got some evil only equip? mmmm dont think so! =)

PS - what does rejuve have to do with rares?why bother tattling on rangers now? *laugh* yeah, I got rejuves from wraiths. I admit it. Find me a ranger who didn't and I'll show you a ranger who was A) new or B) never did TF *snicker* I learned my lesson from those before me (you know who you are! *peer*)

It isn't like Imms couldnt check it. If I was created 1 year ago, I really shouldn't be only 40 in 1/2 elf years. Intentional oversight or not, I appreciated it.
That stuff is all in the past though. No grouping restricts! Huzzah!

Anyway, sounds like you've a personal vendetta against rangers, or maybe me! Im sorry to hear that =( You've got my email, if you want to discuss something, go for it boo.

Lost out.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Tue Mar 06, 2001 3:25 pm

I used to get pissed casting locate 'lightning bolts' and seeing half a dozen eyepatches sitting on goodies. This damn eyepatch has eluded me for two wipes now. Believe me I tried, I spent 50% of my time in GC, I had shouts like "ft elven chainmail, chainlink girdle, emerald gaunts, purple silk eyep, skull earrings, gemstone rings wttf lightning bolt eyep" with my dorf warrior... items which are hard to get, but people always asked for even MORE. While the stormlord is practically solo'able by every class.... aint rareloads a bitch Image

I had 3 black eyepatches tho, so there!
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Mar 06, 2001 3:36 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Waelos:
<B>*laugh* yeah, I got rejuves from wraiths. I admit it. Find me a ranger who didn't and I'll show you a ranger who was A) new or B) never did TF *snicker*

Lost out.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bah! now ye tell me... I was like 76 at shutdown! Woulda rather died of old age than get turned into a fighter though... heh.

Sarvis
Lyt
Sojourner

Postby Lyt » Tue Mar 06, 2001 4:04 pm

Waelos doesn't whine? Ah come on I thought that was the first precept of being a ranger. Before Mielikki or whatever god lets them be a ranger they have to promise to whine constantly Image *poke Waelos*

See ya soon bud, and you can whine at me all ya want Image

Lyt
Tayros
Sojourner

Postby Tayros » Tue Mar 06, 2001 4:08 pm

Leave rare loads alone! I agree some were few and far between, but oh man... finally getting it... the rarer (is that a word?) da' betta! Image

I think it's funny that people would sit for 6 months waiting for a rare load to pop on boot anyway! You must also buy lottery tickets... Image

Tay
vynigumba
Sojourner

Postby vynigumba » Tue Mar 06, 2001 4:08 pm

Waelos,

My memory is bad.. was not the talos stormlord, was shijin... This should solve the problem. I got so many request for his item....

I have nothing aganist rangers. I rarely interact with other players (if I had time i like to explore dangerous areas alone.. for which nobody wanted to come with me.. and with little time available i was just wantering gc).
I must say that my knowledge of the mud come mostly from other necros in particular Mortanya (spelling?), from Waelos and from the bard singing around and leaving cup of coffee everywhere (my memory with names is bad...), but mostly from enless explorations which took me in some very interesting places.

I got a good deal of knowledge, but mostly hints (which is better after all) from you which turned very useful in my dangerous explorations.

so I must be if anything devoted to you.
I wasnt attacking you but only trying to get your opinion for this topic. (sorry about the whining)

about rejuv..
Now, since everybody sooner or later need rejuv, probably is better to introduce rejuv potions or scrolls (very expensive).

about rares.
I am not sure how it exactly works but i guess 'locate object' it is a little bit too informative.
Saitcho
Sojourner

Postby Saitcho » Tue Mar 06, 2001 4:26 pm

hehe i knew you could do the rejuv thing with wraiths but i never did it. i was always worried i was being snooped. i wasnt that old tho. only like 45 or something.

saitcho
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Tue Mar 06, 2001 5:16 pm

Vyn - Grin. its all cool bro. I knew we had lots of good talks, so it was strange it seemed you were on me =) I unnerstand tho....I probably _was_ whining at you about shijin =) Lord knows I was trying hard to get 2 tatts (for you know what). So ya! we straight and cool boo.

Lyt - Hey, Lost is a follower of Shevarash and Fenmarel . . . guess they prequalify us via whining capability too! *snicker* Don't worry, Ill whine on your shoulder plenty!

Bah Saitcho, ya young pup! *giggle* that isnt even the 'best' age yet! I don't say the wraith thing was right. I was a twink for doing it. (yeah yeah Im a twink/dork/nerd/pooface for lots of other reasons too) hehe

lost
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Tue Mar 06, 2001 5:47 pm

I hear what Gormal is saying here, but keep in mind the gods are saying that they won't be wiping anymore. Searching for extreme rares may be the only thing thats left keeping some of you peeps around in a couple of years. Just food for thought.

Izzy
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Mar 06, 2001 8:52 pm

I can't speak for the other zones in question, but I will take a look at the GC rares that I rigged up to pop on reset a few years ago. If it's insanely rare maybe I'll fix it...and maybe I won't. Image
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Tue Mar 06, 2001 8:57 pm

Add the following will you Shevy?

if ( timer->reset && is_online(Cherzra) )
{
load(stormlord);
send_to_char(Cherzra,"cough cough GC grumblestormlordgrumble");
}

I think two wipes of searhing without result is enough! Image
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:29 pm

Thanks Shevarash! The rarity was certainly a problem, but what was more problematic was that is was needed for so many quests. I think G touched on that already, but just wanted to reiterate that perhaps it could be switched out (the Tattoo) for something else, equally as rare but not already under the many stresses of multiple quests and the desires of people to wear them. Thanks again!

w
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Tue Mar 06, 2001 10:42 pm

Yeah, Shijin and Stormlord spawn rates went way down sometime between when Toril closed and Soj2 opened. After 3 years of Greycloak on Toril, both items were still insanely valuable and hard to come by, so rarity is not a real issue.

Goodies can wear the bolt patch. It wasnt evil-race only, just evil-align only. I wore one for several years on Toril.

Invasion was loading just as often as it did on Toril. There were more Twilights on Toril than you may remember.

IMO, all mob/mobgroup rare loads should spawn the same way Greycloak rares load - sometime during the first day after reboot. Zone-wide event rares like Invasion should be the only rares that load right at server up. Camping rares at reboots/crashes was the only way to get them, and it was lame a) to have to do it, b) to have to compete with everyone else doing it, and c) to have to wait 30min after a crash to reform your raid group cuz half of them are on alts checking their personal rarespawn spot halfway across the game, and d) the whole behavior generated by server-up rares is just so...lame.

Mp
Pheten
Sojourner

Postby Pheten » Wed Mar 07, 2001 6:35 am

I remember when the GC rares were first changed to the new type of spawn over time, instead of right at the reboot, it was said that other zones would follow as well if GC worked out well. Well, I totally agree with mplor make every rare spawn short of zone wide spawns like invasion just like the GC rares. Just my opinon, but the system there seemed to work great.
-pheten
Tempus
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Tempus » Wed Mar 07, 2001 6:46 am

IC rares originally had a primative delayed repop. After I left, new builder commands became available, and they were changed. For some reason, they weren't working and someone changed em again. I have no idea what they did during Soj2.

At any rate, when the mud opens, they will follow the GC format, and not load immediately at the boot. Stats will be re-evaluated. So, don't waste your time at the boot searching for IC rares.

Temputz
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Wed Mar 07, 2001 8:02 am

Actually It would be nice if rares had a chance of popping at a random time every hour or so. This would mean that you would never know when a rare would pop and stop that mad rush to check the zone every time the mud boots.
Saitcho
Sojourner

Postby Saitcho » Wed Mar 07, 2001 8:06 am

yeah i was way off on what age i was. after looking at a log i was 85 years old. :/
Ruhr
Sojourner

Postby Ruhr » Wed Mar 07, 2001 8:32 am

Tempus,

Plz don't change Jot Invasion load rate, it's just fine as it is.
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Wed Mar 07, 2001 12:36 pm

Hmm! Don't you think having zone wide rares loading at any time would add a little something to the game?

You are in the mead hall, chilling, when you see:

"The blast of a trumpet reverberates throughout the area, followed by bellowed war cries in a strage language. Your face pales as you realize this is the herald of Glamad, bane of frost giants, slayer of men and wearer of one spiffy hat." -Invasion ON! *laugh*

Not realistic, but I think it would be a riot if we were up doing jot grid when all of a sudden invasion loads right on top of you! tee hee

Oh ya, M I know patch was good race usable, but evil generally rules out we rangerly types! =)

Wae
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Wed Mar 07, 2001 1:57 pm

Bah rejuv...I was well over 120, and didn't need a rejuv for another 50+, its that inferior human blood, next time be the real deal Image
Belle
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Mar 07, 2001 2:07 pm

Bwahahaha, that's too funny!

Glammad Firebeard bellows "get OUT of this room NOW punk!"

Glammad Firebeard kicks your ass really hard!
Ouch! That REALLY hurt!
Ouch! That REALLY hurt!
Ouch! That REALLY hurt!

As your consciousness fades, you hear Glammad Firebeard muttering something "bout dem darn adventurers dese days" and "poking their nose in the wrong zones at the wrong time".

Glammad Firebeard beat the crap out of you, you are DEAD! R.I.P!
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Wed Mar 07, 2001 5:07 pm

Hey Tempus!

Lets not forget about that insane Mask of the Stalker. I almost had one except it was deemed way to powerful by Lloth, and the quest was removed as well.

Ilshadrial
Tempus
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Tempus » Wed Mar 07, 2001 7:37 pm

ROFL ROFL ROFL! Mask of the Stalker was a god toy I made for kicks. I never made a quest for it. If there was one, then someone else must have found it and decided to make one.

That was a good laugh, made my morning!

Temp
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Thu Mar 08, 2001 3:59 am

Could you make the Leprechaun pop every time, .. just so that I can kick him about with much hatred and retribution. I tried to fight him while the elf king and his possie was wandering about the forest, did battle for about 4 hours before mud finally crashed then went away "for good" hehe. I really really need to kill him. *stomp*
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Sojourner

Postby Jasix Prowlingwolf » Tue Mar 20, 2001 2:33 pm

I'm with Waylost, random pop jot Invasion!

I was just up there twinking the fireweed when some big ass Fire giant moffa popped in and ate my sneaky mage ass.....

Anyone for an Invasion CR?

------------------
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Protector of Clan Prowlingwolf
Tovar
Sojourner

Postby Tovar » Tue Mar 20, 2001 7:24 pm

I think that having rare loads spawn at a random interval (not right at boot) is a good idea that will alleviate a lot of the camping and twinking and what not. I think I need to include this caveat: rare mobs/items should be !locate or else we'll have a dozen mage types casting locate for their own personal rare load for hours after a boot *lol* I would like it if area/zone wide booting (like Invasion) stayed the way it was...while I agree w/Jasix that it would be kind of amusing to hear about a mage twinking the fireweed and getting stomped by a fire giant...I think since it has to be found that the zone loaded the rare anyway, not like a mob....then leave the zone rares as is....
Tovar
Sojourner

Postby Tovar » Tue Mar 20, 2001 7:25 pm

Vynigumba,

Her name was Mordanya and she was really cool...helped me out on Toril lots...although I rarely saw her on S2....anyone know what became of that supercool necro chick?

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”