Visible EXP numbers

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Rausrh
Sojourner

Visible EXP numbers

Postby Rausrh » Wed Mar 21, 2001 8:21 pm

I was just wondering if we had an official response as to wether or not the numeric EXP would be visible to the players or if they are only going to let us see the EXP-O-METER(tm). Personaly I think being able to see the numeric exp detracts much from the game while adding nothing.

*plunks down his 2cp*

Rausrh licks you.
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Wed Mar 21, 2001 9:14 pm

Latest word on this is Yes bar, No numbers. I forgot what thread it was on though.
Koric
Sojourner

Postby Koric » Wed Mar 21, 2001 9:28 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Erevan in the General Discussion Forum under the thread Exp tables:
<B>We have debated the visible exp numbers and I believe we have decided to leave in the spanky bar but take out the actual numbers. Reasons are pretty much same as those cited here.

Ere</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There ya go.. tho I don't care about the bar, I believe this to be a wise choice in favor of those that wanted to see their exp w/o being overly informed so that xp'ing will turn into a course in calculus
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Wed Mar 21, 2001 9:33 pm

The thread is in the General Discussion forum under Exp Tables.

Just curious, Raursh, why do you think seeing exp detracts from the mud? I read a very good point that says basically, that people who choose to RP will RP with or without the visible exp. For the powermudders, visible exp just lets you know exactly how far you are from your next lvl (and spell circles). I really don't care either way about visable exp or not, but I'm just curious as to why you think visible exp is such a bad idea... *shrug*

Nizrath

-Doh! Koric beat me to the post by 5 mins. Image

[This message has been edited by namatoki (edited 03-21-2001).]
Zuurn Shatter Skull
Sojourner

Postby Zuurn Shatter Skull » Wed Mar 21, 2001 9:54 pm

I really dont like the idea of having visible EXP numbers, and I agree with Rausrh on this one 110%. IMHO I really thought that not being able to see your exact exp numbers was one of the better things about the mud, and what exactly do you all mean by a 'bar', do you mean a graphic image of a bar or whut??

------------------
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Zuurn Shatter Skull (Troll)(RP) stands here.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Tinnel
Sojourner

Postby Tinnel » Wed Mar 21, 2001 10:22 pm

For those of us who have to limit their MUD time for whatever reason I think it's great to see it. There's nothing worse than pushing the absolute limit of when you need to get off and running all the way back to town to find out you were grinning and one more kill might have sent you to bed with a level. I say see it, if it's that big of a deal make it toggable maybe? I just find nothing more annoying than wanting to know where I'm at and walking all the way to town to find out.

Tinnel
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Thu Mar 22, 2001 12:22 am

Experience Progress:>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >

Its like that sorta.. the numbers detract from the overall feel for the game Imho.. the bar will show you good enough, I'm glad there won't be numbers. (They get excesive)
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Thu Mar 22, 2001 12:35 am

The numbers are totally irrelevent to the mud. What about telling you the damage you deal with each hit? How about a read out of the exact level of each mob? Its just not relevent. The whole argument for visible exp was that people didnt want to have to go back to thier guild every time they wanted to see thier experience. A bar takes care of it. Personaly I would have just settled for the exp command to be useable everywhere.
Sekon/Fanil
Sojourner

Postby Sekon/Fanil » Thu Mar 22, 2001 1:03 am

Bah shouldda just made the exp command work anywhere instead of just at yer master.
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Thu Mar 22, 2001 1:14 am

I'm just curious, but no one has said *how* visible exp detracts from the mud. How???

As for the arguement that "why not let us see all the numbers" bit, seeing exp is not seeing all the numbers. I just don't see what the big deal is. *shrug*

Anyone care to explain what the problem is????

Thanks...

Nizrath
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Mar 22, 2001 2:34 am

Numbers removed? Kickass. Numbers suck. Why, you ask? Several reasons. I'll present the first two that come to mind.

1) Actually seeing exp detracts from the whole world immersion that is Sojourn. It also hearkens back to other cheap and easy MUDs.

2) If I'd actually *seen* how much exp I'd need per level and been able to calculate how many mobs I'd have to kill to level my druid, I'd have quit the MUD. Seeing huge numbers of exp needed that take forever to whittle away is rather discouraging (although truthfully it might have helped my GPA :O ).

My two bark pieces. ("What? You strip-mined copper ore? There used to be a forest there! RAAAAAAR!")
Saraish Aderilix
Sojourner

Postby Saraish Aderilix » Thu Mar 22, 2001 4:23 am

OMG, Moritheil! Plz don't tell me that you have something to do with the illustrious industry of Mining?! Hehe a person after my own heart... hehe I'm well past the halfway point to my next level...

ROFL. I just realised that you absolutely drip with irony... a druid in the mining industry. Heh.

Saraish Aderilix B. E (Mining) SAusIMM
Dan Image

[This message has been edited by Saraish Aderilix (edited 03-21-2001).]
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Thu Mar 22, 2001 4:50 am

I'd just like to toss out the fact that even with the numbers visible, you still wouldn't be able to calculate exactly what you need to kill for a level or how much exp some mob gives since you're also getting damage for healing and damaging the mob. And for hitters, most of the exp comes from smacking the mob around before killing it I believe.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Mar 22, 2001 7:06 am

I want to see the numbers. XP will still be the same it won't mean dick.
Jogg
Sojourner

Postby Jogg » Thu Mar 22, 2001 8:12 am

Experience itself in real life is not something measurable. so by not putting it in numbers make it more realistic and i really comfortable with it. its kinda weird when you can measure or calculate how experience you are in certain field if you know what im trying to say here....
chow...
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Thu Mar 22, 2001 11:19 am

either bar, or well on way, almost ready to attain... etc .. is a help, imho ...

numbers just blow ... who wants to see .. you need 3,000,000,000,000,......... more experience to next level .. escpecially for those of us who play support characters.. with the shiiiity exp tables that we have (not bitching..i LOVE my conjie and sorc !!!)

and i agree... seeing that anytime now! is a rush ... zone zone zone .. (bah sorry i'm a pkiller and we usually raid instead of zone)...intices(spelling?) you to push it to the limits

i personally have been late to work twice this week from staying up too late mudding!!

[This message has been edited by Karikhan (edited 03-22-2001).]
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Mar 22, 2001 3:42 pm

The new bar is a great way to show exp. Experience to next level:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >

It's much more descriptive than the words, and gives you a better feel for how close you are to your next level than numbers. I mean really, the number display looks like this:

Total experience: 12,432,648 Experience to next level: 1,895,352

Now seeing that, there is NO way to tell how far you are into your current level except to write down how much total exp you had when you levelled. Yeah, you need 1.9 million exp, but so what? Am I halfway? 3/4? If I die, will I lose my level? Who knows.

Seeing numbers is interesting on a gameplay level, because it lets you powermud that much harder. But for fun value, I'd rather not see it.

- Ragorn
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Mar 22, 2001 3:57 pm

You can always go to your guildmaster and type exp... you'll know how far you are into your level Image

Cherzra says show me the numbers!
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Thu Mar 22, 2001 4:10 pm

Thanks again for helpful examples from alpha, Rags!

izzy

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”