Portal idea

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
santego
Sojourner

Portal idea

Postby santego » Fri Apr 27, 2001 12:37 pm

This idea was inspired by something Sartorix said in one of the general discussion posts.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sartorix:
Speaking of portals and getting killed and stuff, I would like to see mobs walk through PC portals and smack people.[This message has been edited by Sartorix (edited 04-26-2001).]</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dude that's an incredible idea. In Fantasy stupid wizards are always opening up portals and having stuff come through and devour the idiot - because he didn't have enough protection. Maybe they could make a spell that "should" be cast BEFORE opening a portal somewhere like hell. This spell would be FRIGGING LONG to cast, to make people opt for being lazy about it and not doing it - increasing their chance to get smacked of course. Unless, of course, they protect themselves with "enchant pentagram" or some such spell...

that's all,
Santego,mez
silvea
Sojourner

Postby silvea » Fri Apr 27, 2001 1:29 pm

I got another idea about portals, this was mentioned on sojourn2 discusion boards, and gave some consideration. But we never heared if it had result.

The portals when cast by outcasts should have an other ansi color then the ones cast by non outcast, or as it is now, racewar seperated, mybe even 3 colors 1 for neutral, 1 for evil, 1 for good.

for goodies:
A bright %^YELLOW%^portal%^RESET%^ is opend here.
for neutrals:
a bright %^ORANGE%^portal%^RESET%^ is opend here.
for evils :
a bright %^RED%^portal%^RESET%^ is opend here.

greetings,

Silvea

ps : if my ansi color did not work, sorry
Warluk
Sojourner

Postby Warluk » Fri Apr 27, 2001 6:01 pm

i see alot of oportunity for people to cause havoc with that though. you could effectively move a mob to another zone. to either mess up people in the zone you are in, or move him out of the way to help a group...
Morek
Sojourner

Postby Morek » Fri Apr 27, 2001 7:24 pm

I definitely think that a random chance for something really nasty from the lower planes hopping out of your nice, new portal is a cool idea. The chance could gradually decrease with level/proficiency, but would definitely add some realism and an interesting twist to things. Yes, some people could use this for nefarious purposes...but that's also another twist. The evils decide to wreak a little havoc? - open a bunch of nasty portals and hope something walks out.

In my opinion, a little chaos now and then isn't necessarily a bad thing. Just a thought. Image
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Apr 27, 2001 8:04 pm

As if movement, hp regeneration and tossing up gates don't already consume enough time... now when we need the casters to get the scattered 13 man group to astral, we need to worry about balor demons jumping the lonely guy on EM and the caster gating him in too?

"ok guys, invasion is delayed because 3 out of the 5 casters gating people up died. Gotta CR them in EM, the moonshaes and Calimport first"

[This message has been edited by cherzra (edited 04-27-2001).]
santego
Sojourner

Postby santego » Mon Apr 30, 2001 11:48 am

Cherzra: I agree. However, that idea of "enchange pentagram" would solve that. You could be guarenteed a safe ride, 100 percent of the time if you take the 2 minutes to cast it. And it'd last a long time so you could open up 500 portals till you get the right one.

Abuse-minded-folks: nope, this wouldn't actally bring in an existing mob. Rather, it would do sorta like the bandit mobs when the trading code was opened. The game would generate a new mob based upon your level to pop out and drag your ass down to hell (or whatever).

santa/mez
Rahl
Sojourner

Postby Rahl » Thu May 03, 2001 3:01 pm

This is a good idea but it has consequences. The possibility of abuse by other players to get back at someone they dont like, etc. Also, it could pose a problem for major zones when you need gate to get there. Overall, I like the idea. Image

------------------
Rahl -- Defender of Zamiel
santego
Sojourner

Postby santego » Fri May 04, 2001 11:57 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rahl:
<B>This is a good idea but it has consequences. The possibility of abuse by other players to get back at someone they dont like, etc. Also, it could pose a problem for major zones when you need gate to get there. Overall, I like the idea. Image
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
well, the thing is the mobs that come out and attack the caster wouldn't attack anyone else... Just like the bandit code. Now, folks could ASSIST the silly wizard, but otherwise the wizard is the target of the demon (or angel Image.

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”